Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I want to thank folks for trying to stay on topic. This thread is five pages long and only one poster has tried to derail it w/personality comments. That's pretty impressive.

So, thanks guys for keeping this thread about football.

G
2nd String
2nd String
G
I have watched the 49ers play twice this season and I love their offense. They lead the NFL in rushing attemps with 38 a game while using multiple backs and a fullback.
Lots of play action passing as well.
Garopalo has committed his share of turnovers but they are still 3-0.
I really like the way Shanahan calls a game with each play setting up the next play. If you can't stop the run he will run it 50 times.
You can say they haven't played anyone yet but it's still the NFL and they are 3-0.

Last edited by Glw12; 09/23/19 08:11 PM.

I just want a winner. We need players who can be part of the solution not part of the problem.
Glw12 #1668285 09/23/19 08:20 PM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I did not like the Kyle Shannahan hire when we first announced it, but I quickly changed my tune after I watched this guy's route trees and play calling. I remember a lot of posters making fun of me because I mentioned the route tree so many times.

I think Shanny is the best offensive mind in professional football and a lot of people who are in the league feel the same way.

And to think............Farmer and crew were trying to tell him which plays to run. rofl

Glw12 #1668314 09/23/19 09:16 PM
Legend
Legend
I’ve said this many times, but I love Kyle Shanahan as a play caller .. he made us look GOOD for a stretch with Homer. He has great zone blocking schemes and can really use misdirection

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Oops, Hoyer I meant sorry

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I’ve said this many times, but I love Kyle Shanahan as a play caller .. he made us look GOOD for a stretch with Homer. He has great zone blocking schemes and can really use misdirection

I love watching a team use misdirection flawlessly...it's a sight to behold.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77
The air-raid sucks. Period. We were in shotgun almost every down last night and that is not an exaggeration. We have a really good RB in Chubb and we aren't even trying to establish the run. We have the Ravens next week then the Niners and the Seahawks. It is looking like we will be 1-5 to start out. If Kitchens doesn't get us back to the offense we ran last year where Baker was under center more and we had a good balance of run/pass he isn't going to survive the season. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the offense Kitchens ran last year. He should have added to it instead of scrapping it for the damned air-raid crap.

We were in shotgun because it moves Baker away from the LOS right away. A team can still run out of the shotgun, and in fact, some RBs excel at it.

Name one running back in history that won a rushing title running exclusively out of the gun? The back has to stand there and wait for the ball. Yeah, you might get a couple good runs out of it. You might even get a couple of good games running the ball exclusively out of the gun. What you won't do is get a consistent running game out of the gun every single play. You will also get a defense pinning their ears back on EVERY play when you NEVER put your QB under center. I'm not saying scrap the gun but trying to play every single play out of the gun effectively tells the D you are GOING to pass the ball and they can come after you. If you do hand the ball off once in a blue moon you can get the RB on the way to the QB. He will be standing there anyway, waiting for the ball. It also ends any thought of the play-action. Baker is going to get killed like this. He won't survive the season playing out of the gun every stinking play. The air-raid is a college system. It won't work in the NFL and it DAMNED sure won't work in OUR division. In this division, you BETTER be able to run the damn football or your QB is going to get destroyed.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

He also ran the ball. Always. He never abandoned the run. We could be down by 20 and he was still running the football. That way, the D very rarely knows what you are going to do. Of course, 3rd and long or 4th and long was a passing down, but in general, he never gave up on running the ball. Unfortunately, this offense has given up on even trying to run the ball before the game starts.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Legend
Legend
We don't run enough for a RB to win a rushing title.

Cook is running away (ahem) with that thus far. He is on a very run heavy Vikings team. (only behind the Ravens, and a good part of that is Jackson)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: tru_dawgs

I love watching a team use misdirection flawlessly...it's a sight to behold.
i agree ... even the Rams, while I hated it, had a few great plays against us in this regard

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77

He also ran the ball. Always. He never abandoned the run. We could be down by 20 and he was still running the football. That way, the D very rarely knows what you are going to do. Of course, 3rd and long or 4th and long was a passing down, but in general, he never gave up on running the ball. Unfortunately, this offense has given up on even trying to run the ball before the game starts.

Last year Todd Haley made our running game work after more that 9 years and most of the posters hated him...

They were calling for more Baker, more shotgun, more QB movement...

Well, now we have it in Kitchen's O, and people are criticizing....

I personally hate this type of Hue Jackson Offense...which is honestly what it resembles now.

Legend
Legend
Yes , the offense right now looks pretty similar to what it looked like last year the weeks leading up to Hue’s departure ... if we remember, Baker was regressing, the offense was too slow developing and our OL was struggling. Same stuff as now

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Yes , the offense right now looks pretty similar to what it looked like last year the weeks leading up to Hue’s departure ... if we remember, Baker was regressing, the offense was too slow developing and our OL was struggling. Same stuff as now

I don't think Baker is regressing, we are just asking too much from the kid.

Play to his strengths, and give him a running game, and I'm sure he will excel.

Last edited by rastanplan; 09/24/19 07:13 AM.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I think so as well. He looked good on the last drive.

When we get it out in 2.5 he looks great. Longer than that, we just don't have the tackles to hold up on plays designed for a more vertical game.

We miss Zeitler. When we can stone wall in front of Baker, he has room to step up. When not and he has to flush out, you know that tackle is going to be beat to the outside.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I don't know why you keep saying this, but we did not run Hue's offense last year. It was Haley's. Hue and Haley ran different offenses.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I don't know why you keep saying this, but we did not run Hue's offense last year. It was Haley's. Hue and Haley ran different offenses.

Yep, last year our offense was base on the high power offense that Pittsburgh had been doing for years with the killer B's.

This year, Freddie decided to install his offense and we have been watching that.

I bet he starts to go back to the old offense that we used last year. It worked much better than what we have today.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg

Yep, last year our offense was base on the high power offense that Pittsburgh had been doing for years with the killer B's.

This year, Freddie decided to install his offense and we have been watching that.

I bet he starts to go back to the old offense that we used last year. It worked much better than what we have today.
This has been discussed, that most believe its Monkens offense. Freddie ran an adjusted Haley offense last year. ITs been noted he worked with the players to adjust what they liked and didn't like out of the offense and they went with it.

This year, if you watch ANY football from Tampa last year, you can see it is the exact same type offense Monken ran down there.

Freddie is calling the plays in Monkens game plan.

I believe (and some others) believe that he needs to change this, and fast.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I don't know if this is a big deal or not, but I wonder if this is Freddie's offense? Or, is it the type of offense he always wanted to run? Or, is it Monken's offense and Freddie is just calling the plays that are in that offense?

I can't help but think back to earlier this summer when Silver reported that there was friction between Freddie and Monken.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I think you have mentioned it before, and I may agree after 3 weeks of the season.

I don't think Freddie has an offense.

Last year he modfified Haley's O to what the players like and worked.

THis year its completely different and looks JUST LIKE Tampas O from last year, and Baker looks a lot like [ahem] Winston so far.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
FYI, I am trying to cross the tracks with you lately - and keep the bickering between us in the past.

I may disagree or argue, but I am done the other stuff. Its Browns football season - we all need to come together. That was offseason stuff smile

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Yeah, I think I agree. I really don't know the answer and I was wondering. Posters have said that this is Freddie's offense. Others have said it was Monken's. I just don't know.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Cool. Sounds great to me.

Legend
Legend
jc

since this is indeed monken's offense, i think its safe to say he should probably be the one calling plays.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't know if this is a big deal or not, but I wonder if this is Freddie's offense? Or, is it the type of offense he always wanted to run? Or, is it Monken's offense and Freddie is just calling the plays that are in that offense?

I can't help but think back to earlier this summer when Silver reported that there was friction between Freddie and Monken.

I think it is a huge deal. Good questions you have, and the answers are extremely important for this team to figure out.

This is all speculation, but I have a feeling that last year was a modification of Haley's playbook, to ease the transition. And what we are seeing now is Freddie's offense. Nothing to back that up.

Whatever it is, it is not ideal. We see some things that work, but we seem quick to move away from that. Is it trying to be clever? Is it trying to out think the other side? Is it stubbornness, wanting to stick to his plan because it is his plan and he is convinced it will work?

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
Good questions you have,

LOL. I did not mean to channel Yoda.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Swish #1668397 09/24/19 08:43 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Swish
jc

since this is indeed monken's offense, i think its safe to say he should probably be the one calling plays.
Possibly, but I didn't like his play calling in Tampa. He would run even less if you go by what he did down there.

I think Freddie started to input more of his style last week against the rams (More quick reads, RPO style plays) and those were working. I think you will see more of that trend going forward.

If that's the case, and I am right (I am speculating btw), but I would have to question why Monken is even here then.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I didn't like the Monken hire from the get-go.

Legend
Legend
I never said it was Hue’s offense, I said it looks similar to the offense looked weeks before Hue was fired.

Legend
Legend
i dont like the guy either.

but if this is the style we're running, then let the guy who designed the damn thing to run the plays.

i wish we would've just kept the same offense from last year, and we wouldnt even be having this convo. but alas, it is not so.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1668409 09/24/19 09:06 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
i dont like the guy either.

but if this is the style we're running, then let the guy who designed the damn thing to run the plays.

i wish we would've just kept the same offense from last year, and we wouldnt even be having this convo. but alas, it is not so.
Agreed. IDK why we didn't. WE hired Freddie based on his Offense last year and what we did. WTH would we change that. That is why I am now question John and Freddie.

Swish #1668410 09/24/19 09:07 AM
R
Legend
Legend
R

We have coaches who are putting their philosophies before the team. Look at the Rams. They did not ask Goff to do one single complicated thing. Hell, half the plays they cut the field in half.

Until the coaches put the team before their own needs nothing is likely to change. We are going against a world class coaching staff this week who put the team before their own desires. I don't expect much to change unfortunately.

LOL - The Rish will be upset with this news as well. KS just doesn't prioritize winning...
Legend
Legend
to you and Rish:

i think it might be safe to say that even Dorsey became a prisoner of the moment with the FK hire.

the hype seem to affect the entire organization from the top down.

- Theodore Roosevelt
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R

Its well established that we started running Haley offense and then Hue changed it to the absolute garbage it was at some time before he was fired.

Then we got back with Kitchens running, IMHO, a tweaked "Haley" offense.

To me it was clear what was Haley goal in offense, and I agree with him, specially in a team with so low success in the past.

Keep it simple,don't try to overcome the D failures, don't make D have to overcome your failures. Establish the running game, and if you have a shot and a close game, open it up in the 4th quarter.

Don't rely in a rookie or expect your QB to be Aaron Rodgers and bail you out.

Making the running game work was a massive improvement, IMHO.

Last edited by rastanplan; 09/24/19 09:12 AM.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Quote:
Hell, half the plays they cut the field in half.

Freddie did that w/Baker last year. It's not an uncommon thing for the playcaller to do that w/young qbs. It actually makes some sense, especially for guys who were not asked to go through a lot of progressions in college.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
It's not "well established." In fact, it is false. Will you please just give it a rest?

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Quote:

Freddie did that w/Baker last year. It's not an uncommon thing for the playcaller to do that w/young qbs. It actually makes some sense, especially for guys who were not asked to go through a lot of progressions in college.

And that's what I was expecting from the Rams game, honestly. Why did he decided to continue I don't understand.

Lets see this next game, maybe by now everyone in the team is convinced that we should scale back, simplify, improve executions and them move from that.

Last edited by rastanplan; 09/24/19 09:20 AM.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: rastanplan

Its well established that we started running Haley offense and then Hue changed it to the absolute garbage it was at some time before he was fired.

Then we got back with Kitchens running, IMHO, a tweaked "Haley" offense.

To me it was clear what was Haley goal in offense, and I agree with him, specially in a team with so low success in the past.

Keep it simple,don't try to overcome the D failures, don't make D have to overcome your failures. Establish the running game, and if you have a shot and a close game, open it up in the 4th quarter.

Don't rely in a rookie or expect your QB to be Aaron Rodgers and bail you out.

Making the running game work was a massive improvement, IMHO.
IIRC, we started the year with Haley offense, and when things were not going good, Hue said "ill step in, I am the HC and have that right" or something to that nature I am paraphrasing.

There really is no way to confirm that Hue took over and we started running his O.

I despise hue, many know that. But its not a fact he took over, he said he wanted too, said he could as the HC (and that's what started I feel a lot of the discourse), but its not proven he did.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
It's not "well established." In fact, it is false. Will you please just give it a rest?

Make up your mind, in a post you say you say we were not running Hue offense but Haley's, and when I say that, you say its false?

The well established part was regarding the start of the season.

Although its also general knowledge that Hue started messing with Haley's O.

And many think that after Hue left we continued with a tweaked Haley offense...

Don't think I said anything false or even questionable. Ok I'll give you that calling the O before Hue's firing garbage,can be questionable for some people.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Please read this and then will you please drop it so we can keep this thread on topic? Thanks.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...wns-playcalling

R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:

I agree, and I expected to see it in the Rams game which is why I was so optimistic about the game. Seeing them unable or unwilling to adjust was very frustrating. It does not give me hope as the season moves along.

Really wish Baltimore would have fired Harbaugh. I would have personally went and picked him up and drove him to Cleveland.

LOL - The Rish will be upset with this news as well. KS just doesn't prioritize winning...
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Offensive Scheme

Link Copied to Clipboard