Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I don't know if Baker struggles against zone coverages. I think that most folks [not on this board] are saying that he is becoming confused by teams changing their coverages from the pre-snap look to the actual coverage post-snap.

Some are saying he is a "one-read" qb and he is struggling to go through his progressions quickly enough.

There have been open receivers, but Baker is either bypassing them looking for the big play or not seeing them due to his confusion.

Hopefully it clicks. Either that or change the scheme back to the personnel packages from last year and ask Baker to read half the field again.

Legend
Legend
That’s a fair question: i don’t know if our WRs prefer man or zone. I do know that a good TE (not even a play maker) like WItten, Heath Miller, etc is fabulous to have in zone offense. That’s a piece we sorely miss

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed. Also, it's amazing to me that with the talent on O that we are putting on the field we should be even having this conversation. We had what, 4 months to develop an offense? We still have our starting TE out, Higgins out, Calloway out, not to mention Kareem Hunt waiting in the wings. How many OC out their would love to have this embarrassment of riches? No D should be able to cover what we have. The sheer weight of talent should be pushing the ball down field. Ridiculous.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847
Originally Posted By: rastanplan
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
This could well just be the expected painful part of the learning curve where Baker takes his lumps and begins to grow into a full-blown NFL QB.

Afterall, Experience is that thing you get right after you needed it.
He's getting it now.

Not all NFL QB are alike... Mayfield needs high 60 -70's % completion to have good games..

He is more a "system/high tempo QB" than a virtuoso, I know I'm going to take heat from this, but its not even a critic...

I actually think the kid is good in the right environment...

Baker + this roster + Kyle Shannahan' system????? it'd be killer

Ugh... and there it is. I was thinking that as well, with the hot start that San Fran has had this year. I didn't want to put it to paper (err... keyboard). We had him here.

We did at that, but we'll never know lol

I just look at how we ran the ball, how Hoyer was supposed to get the ball out quickly, and how those two aspects combined helped the play action which gave us some big play opportunities.

Yes Bake has a big arm, but we shouldn't be basing our offense on being able to throw it deep a la what Hue did. You still have to be able to set those plays up. At times during the Rams game I felt like we were beginning to do that a little bit.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I don't know if Baker struggles against zone coverages. I think that most folks [not on this board] are saying that he is becoming confused by teams changing their coverages from the pre-snap look to the actual coverage post-snap.

Some are saying he is a "one-read" qb and he is struggling to go through his progressions quickly enough.

There have been open receivers, but Baker is either bypassing them looking for the big play or not seeing them due to his confusion.

Hopefully it clicks. Either that or change the scheme back to the personnel packages from last year and ask Baker to read half the field again.

But are our receivers also "confused?" Could that be a factor?

I'm not sure how specific our offensive system is with WRs' adjustments to different coverages.

Don't both the thrower and pass catchers have to adapt to the post-snap changes?

Receivers could be open, but not where they're expected.

If we can string some things together and start running tempo, it should simplify things for both.

I wonder how big a factor our taking so long to get to the line is in allowing defenses to show such exotic looks.It has seemed like we're getting to the line with the play clock running out fairly often.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I haven't seen any breakdowns on the WRs being confused, so I don't know if they are or not. I don't think they are because both OBJ and Landry are quality WRs who have had a ton of success w/other teams and other qbs. They have beat zone coverages over and over and over in the past.

I haven't posted all the articles and breakdowns about what's ailing the Browns, but there are a ton out there. Almost agree that the troubles thus far are w/the coach and qb.

It's early, so hopefully they can get this figured out.

R
Legend
Legend
R
My favorite time of year...

...the searching for answers.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I haven't seen any breakdowns on the WRs being confused, so I don't know if they are or not. I don't think they are because both OBJ and Landry are quality WRs who have had a ton of success w/other teams and other qbs. They have beat zone coverages over and over and over in the past.

I haven't posted all the articles and breakdowns about what's ailing the Browns, but there are a ton out there. Almost agree that the troubles thus far are w/the coach and qb.

It's early, so hopefully they can get this figured out.

Unfortunately, with "analysts" unaffiliated with the team, they can only comment on what happened rather than what should have happened. They don't know the playbook/"rules".

Like most things related to football coverage, they tend to become QB-centric and occasionally lose sight that 11 parts all have to work together in synch.

I'd love to hear someone like Reggie Wayne's thoughts on what our WRs have been doing. During the broadcast of the GB v. PHI game there was an anecdote given where Rodgers sent Adams to the bench for a series earlier in his career for not doing what he was supposed to do when a play broke down. That lit a fire and he's since been very productive. It made me wonder if something similar could be in play.

Do you have any thoughts on the play clock side? Are the added responsibilities throwing off Freddie's playcalling Feng Shui?

Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
My favorite time of year...

...the searching for answers.
The good news: most years we know there aren’t any lol ... at least we have some hope there are this year

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

.... Experience is that thing you get right after you needed it.

Nice. I'm going to borrow that and use it someday, without giving you credit. Hope you don't mind. wink

Please do, because I don't recall which comedian I heard it from tongue
(Steven Wright, maybe?)

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg
J/c

It's been mentioned that Baker struggles against zone coverage. This appears to be true on the surface. Are our receivers struggling as well against it, though, complicating the problem?

We miss a reliable TE to sit down in holes in zones in the middle of the field. We miss Higgins who can somewhat do the same thing.

Ratley came to us a rather raw receiver. He missed a lot of time during camp. Is he seeing things the same way as Baker? Is he settling in the right spots and making good decisions during scramble drills?

Are teams tilting coverages to take OBJ away? Is he coming back to Baker when the initial play isn't there?

Landry for all his savvy and ability to shake a man doesn't really threaten zones with speed.

We're not using much play action to suck up LBs and open up the middle of the field behind him.

While Baker Is struggling, he hasn't gotten much help.

What I think is missing here is that the QB, RB and WR's run the plays that are called. You can use both slot WR's and RB's to run in those soft spots in the zone. Yes, we have had TE's do it in the past and teams do have TE's do that job as well, but there are other ways of doing it.

And on the surface it may seem like Baker isn't getting much help, but there are open WR's that he's simply either not seeing or deciding to go with the big play instead. I'm not sure which one it is. It could very well be that the play that's being called requires the WR running the long route is hid first read. And by the time he looks off of that WR the zone coverage is confusing him. That's anybodies guess at this point.

Hopefully, when Higgins comes back some of this will be resolved. It seems he's to some degree Baker's security blanket. Someone Baker trusts and looks for when things break down.

It isn't confusion on the part of the WR's. They run the plays and routes that are called. It's up to the coaching staff to call the plays and routes to exploit the zone. As Vers mentioned, both Landry and OBJ have played against the zone throughout their careers. This is nothing new to them.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
That's a great question DC... just who is Baker's primary read (and what is the order he's supposed to make his reads) on any given play?

Whatever the issue is, Baker doesn't look comfortable or confident running this offense at all. Last year we heard about all this collaboration and input from the players. Is anyone else getting a sense that this is still the case because I honestly don't.

Filed under the heading "Thing's We'll Never Know for Sure" is what is the process for the implementation of this offense? I think it's safe to assume Monken is doing the heavy lifting, if not near all of it. Does he allow as much input from the players as Freddie did last year? How much of an opportunity does Freddie have to put his influence on things? If we go with "very little", it could explain some of the deficiency on play calling we've seen so far. That kind of thing would be expected from a guy calling an offense that isn't really his own.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

What I think is missing here is that the QB, RB and WR's run the plays that are called. You can use both slot WR's and RB's to run in those soft spots in the zone. Yes, we have had TE's do it in the past and teams do have TE's do that job as well, but there are other ways of doing it.

And on the surface it may seem like Baker isn't getting much help, but there are open WR's that he's simply either not seeing or deciding to go with the big play instead. I'm not sure which one it is. It could very well be that the play that's being called requires the WR running the long route is hid first read. And by the time he looks off of that WR the zone coverage is confusing him. That's anybodies guess at this point.

Hopefully, when Higgins comes back some of this will be resolved. It seems he's to some degree Baker's security blanket. Someone Baker trusts and looks for when things break down.

It isn't confusion on the part of the WR's. They run the plays and routes that are called. It's up to the coaching staff to call the plays and routes to exploit the zone. As Vers mentioned, both Landry and OBJ have played against the zone throughout their careers. This is nothing new to them.

I'm not sure our offense is as simple for our receivers as you present there.

Here's an article that touches on what I'm talking about:

Link: Film Review- Adjusting routes to coverage

I'll see if I can find a better article as well.

Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Many NFL teams run a zone scheme. Some mix it up between man and zone coverage. It's nothing new to either OBJ or Landry. Actually even our younger WR's have seen it in games.

Now there's a difference between a zone being simple and players being familiar with it. Point being, trying to say that our WR's do not know how to react to zone coverage isn't a legitimate argument. Now the QB having a problem reading zone coverage might be. I've seen a lot of times where opposing D's have shown man and at the last second ran zone. That seems to be the problem.

And I'll tell you why. If we didn't have WR's getting open, I would be far more willing to look at your theory. But that's not what's happening. What's happening is we are having WR's getting open and Baker can't seem to see them.

That's not a WR issue.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I guess we are just going to have to disagree on the QB/WR thing. That's fine. I will respond to the following, though:

Quote:

Do you have any thoughts on the play clock side? Are the added responsibilities throwing off Freddie's playcalling Feng Shui?

I noticed the play clock being an issue in game 2, but was it in the other two games? I don't remember anything significant, but I could be wrong. I don't think having extra responsibilities are affecting Freddie's play calling, but I could be wrong about that, too.

For me, this seems fairly simple. The new personnel packages are a problem for a qb who is having trouble reading coverages.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I guess we are just going to have to disagree on the QB/WR thing. That's fine. I will respond to the following, though:

Quote:

I noticed the play clock being an issue in game 2, but was it in the other two games? I don't remember anything significant, but I could be wrong. I don't think having extra responsibilities are affecting Freddie's play calling, but I could be wrong about that, too.

For me, this seems fairly simple. The new personnel packages are a problem for a qb who is having trouble reading coverages.

Agree on all counts!

People get really mad at me when I say Baker has been struggling, but watching the games you can see open WRs, running lanes, decent pocket/protection, etc.

I hope he can learn and get going again, since he has the arm talent for sure.

N
Rookie
Rookie
N
I don’t expect the offense to change at this point.

The coaching staff spent months deliberating and installing this offense. It’s quite possible the current iteration just doesn’t feature heavy personnel packages. If that’s the case, expanding a personnel grouping is easier said than done during the season. You might add something here or there – especially around the bye week – but you’re constrained to what you’ve installed, to a large degree.

Also, Kitchens has intimated the offense is close to performing as expected, which isn’t the kind of language you hear from someone that’s preparing to scrap scheme.

So, for better or worse, I believe the Browns are going to be a team that bases out of 11 personnel, trusts Baker, and then lives with those results.

If that’s the case, the question becomes solving the current issues from 11 personnel with a sprinkle of 12 and 13 personnel.

Which means doing:

- More clear, defined reads.

- More half-field, high-low, and mesh concepts.

- More pre-snap motion.

- More 3x1 receiver sets.

- More RPOs.

- More action off outside zone.

This offense is fixable, even within its current framework.

But it starts with self-improvement from Baker and Freddie.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Many NFL teams run a zone scheme. Some mix it up between man and zone coverage. It's nothing new to either OBJ or Landry. Actually even our younger WR's have seen it in games.

Now there's a difference between a zone being simple and players being familiar with it. Point being, trying to say that our WR's do not know how to react to zone coverage isn't a legitimate argument. Now the QB having a problem reading zone coverage might be. I've seen a lot of times where opposing D's have shown man and at the last second ran zone. That seems to be the problem.

And I'll tell you why. If we didn't have WR's getting open, I would be far more willing to look at your theory. But that's not what's happening. What's happening is we are having WR's getting open and Baker can't seem to see them.

That's not a WR issue.

Here's another article that explains option routes, sight adjustments, and other NFL offense complexities.

Option Routes and Sight Adjustments Link

A receiver can be open, but if he's not where he's expected to be when he's expected to be there, it doesn't really matter if he's open. This isn't Madden where you instantly throw to open receivers no matter whether your QB is scrambling the opposite direction. A QB often has to throw to where a WR is going to be. If he isn't confident in where that will be, it's a problem.

I'm not arguing that Baker isn't struggling. He's struggling. My question is why? I have a feeling it's a bit more complex than he simply can't read defenses.

Fiercely Independent.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Are you really going to put the blame on our WRs not being in the correct places? Seriously?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Are you really going to put the blame on our WRs not being in the correct places? Seriously?

I interpreted his post to mean the problem with the offense is a combination of things, not just Baker or not just the WR's or not just the O Line.

-Jack Burton

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I agree with this but the part that is missing is.. yes, the WRs have to recognize the coverage and adjust the routes as necessary... the QB has to recognize the coverage and adjust... but the QB needs to have the confidence that he and the WRs are seeing the same thing and making the same adjustments... Because he has to throw to the open spot and TRUST that the WR is going to do what he expects...

If he's waiting to SEE if the WR is making the adjustment, then that would explain why he is holding the ball too long all the time and lacking the confidence to step in and make the throw...

And considering that Landry and OBJ both have 5 or 6 years of experience.. if somebody is hesitating, I would assume it's Baker.

yebat' Putin
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Okay. I'm saying the WRs are not part of the problem. These guys are known for what good route runners they are. They have succeeded in the past w/great route running. I don't think they suddenly forgot how to run routes against zone coverages.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

All the blame, No. Some of the blame, perhaps.

Are you going to put all of the blame on Baker? (Asking for an honest consideration, not trying to be combative)

Ratley missed most of camp. OBJ missed time as well and is new to the team. Harris is new to the team.

How many reps do they get together on specific plays where the defense shows one defense pre-snap and then switches to another post snap? When our defense hasn't run those looks? How well is he really supposed to know how guys will react in those situations? Are the receivers following rules where he should always see the same thing in specific situations? On multiple occasions, Baker and his receivers seemed to be on different pages.

If Baker's wondering where his receivers are going to be as well as trying to read the D, it complicates things.

Fiercely Independent.
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think the players, coaches, and scheme are all to blame. Baker will be fine if he doesn't get killed trying to figure this all out.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I did not put all the blame on Baker. I am saying that I don't think the WRs are part of the problem. Whatever, this is an argument I can't win, though. The crowd will probably soon be here to get on me about hating Baker.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I did not put all the blame on Baker. I am saying that I don't think the WRs are part of the problem. Whatever, this is an argument I can't win, though. The crowd will probably soon be here to get on me about hating Baker.

It's wholly possible for the WRs to be a part of the problem, but not be a problem themselves.

This is where I agree with OCD that scheme is a factor here as well. We can have the best route runners, but if the routes don't compliment each other, how crisp they run it doesn't matter. The seams they exploit don't matter.

Running 3 WR's in identical routes in close proximity is straight up dumb. I saw it multiple times last week.

-Jack Burton

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
There are a lot of articles out there like this one. I'll post this because it jibes w/my feeling on the situation. Which is that right now Freddie and Baker are the main reasons for our struggles. There are many stats cited in this article to support this position.

Quote:

Baker Mayfield Is Holding Onto the Ball and Holding Cleveland Browns Offense Back

By
Sam Penix -
September 27, 2019

The Cleveland Browns currently sit at 1-2 ahead of a key divisional matchup against the Baltimore Ravens this weekend. It isn’t time to panic yet, but the offense has struggled mightily thus far. There are multiple reasons for this, but the main one is quarterback Baker Mayfield, who needs to play much better if Cleveland wants to enter the playoff race.

Cleveland Browns Offense Held Back by Baker Mayfield, Who is Holding Onto the Ball for Too Long

The Browns offense has scored just 49 points in three games despite being one of the most talented units in the NFL. The group hasn’t gotten into a rhythm or found its identity yet. Starting tight end David Njoku is on injured reserve, offensive linemen have been ejected, injured, and switched positions, and receiver Rashard Higgins hasn’t played since early in Week 1. The situational playcalling is subpar. But none of these reasons are good excuses for Mayfield’s underwhelming play; he’s thrown three touchdowns to five interceptions thus far, and his issues go beyond the box score.

Many are blaming Cleveland’s offensive line for not giving Mayfield enough time to survey the defense. This is happening, but it isn’t the line’s fault. According to ESPN Analytics, the Browns rank first in the NFL in pass block win rate at 66%. A pass block win is defined as when the offensive lineman holds his block for at least 2.5 seconds. Dating back to his rookie season, Mayfield has been excellent when throwing the ball in under 2.5 seconds. When he holds onto it for longer, he takes unnecessary sacks, hits, and forces the ball into tight coverage.

Quick-Release Passing

At one point in last week’s game against Los Angeles, Mayfield was 13/15 on passes under 2.5 seconds and 3/21 otherwise. There are two takeaways from this; the first is that Kitchens must do a better job of scheming quick passes for Mayfield. The second is that the Browns have a problem. If Mayfield isn’t able to sit in the pocket and read defenses, he won’t be a starter for very long. Nearly every positive play Mayfield has made this year has come on his first read, and that’s concerning. We’ve seen Mayfield progress to his second, third, and fourth read and make plays before, so perhaps he just needs more reps in new offensive coordinator Todd Monken’s system.

But it’s more than just Mayfield not reading defenses well. He’s paranoid about taking hits. He is fading from clean pockets for no reason instead of stepping up and delivering a strong throw. The loss of Kevin Zeitler may have something to do with this, although his replacement, Eric Kush, has been solid, aside from his reps against game-wrecker Aaron Donald.

Per Pro Football Focus, Mayfield’s average time to throw is 2.74 seconds, and his average time to scramble is 2.80 seconds. That time to scramble explains the discrepancy between PFF’s TTT number and NFL Next Gen Stats’, which is 3.03 seconds, third-highest in the NFL.

Whether it’s getting more comfortable in the offense, trusting his lineman more, or something different, Baker Mayfield must get the ball out quicker. As he goes, so does Cleveland’s offense, and they need to start going better, and fast. The Browns had playoff expectations for this season and can’t afford to wait for the offense to click. Mayfield shouldn’t shoulder all of the blame for the team’s scoring issues, but he is responsible for a large portion of them. It’s time for Mayfield to prove that his record-setting rookie season wasn’t a fluke.

https://lastwordonprofootball.com/2019/09/27/baker-mayfield-holding-cleveland-browns-offense/

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Quote:

This is where I agree with OCD that scheme is a factor here as well

I started the thread because I thought there was a problem w/the scheme.

B
2nd String
2nd String
B
Versatile Dog is a thinly veiled Baker hater. Check out everyone one of his posts they are regarding either the performance or some imaginary trait of Baker holding us back.

Like the statement that Baker only reads half the field. Completely false, but he says it so much on this board people act like it is actually true. Or the falsehood that guys are streaking down the field wide out open and Baker chooses to hold the ball and not throw to them.

The truth is the play calling which has focused on big downfield plays has failed because:, people can get pressure with 4 men and drop 7 in to coverage, since our oline is poor and we refuse to consistently run the ball. Baker is throwing out of empty sets with no threat of the run to make the defense honest like we have the Cowboys oline. He played an entire game in 2nd and 3rd and 20 because of non-stop penalties. He is playing without his favorite receiver and his tight end. You think its not likely the receivers are making some mistakes too? Give me a break. Is Baker playing great? No, but he is far from the sole reason why the O is struggling. Baker will improve with the rest of the team if the coach calls a smarter more balanced game. I think they will, probably this week.

Setting the rookie TD record and leading the Browns out of the gutter is not an aberration. You can pile on with the rest of hyperbolic media in this tough stretch, but soon the Baker and Browns will be rolling again. But then you'll still be unhappy because it happening with Baker. Sorry VD.

Last edited by Baker_Dawg; 09/27/19 10:19 PM.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

This is where I agree with OCD that scheme is a factor here as well

I started the thread because I thought there was a problem w/the scheme.

I'd submit that the scheme is biggest issue more than it is Baker. From what I'm seeing I don't think the scheme or the plays are structured in a way to help him make more efficient and correct reads.

Freddie may have the same O philosophy as Monken, but he doesn't strike me as a guy calling plays that have hismark on them.

I think his problem with the Oline isn't a lack of time. I think it's that they aren't creating throwing lanes for him on a consistent basis.This could be that height issue rearing its head. He's had a number of balls batted pretty early inn the year so if consistent throwing lanes aren't being opened up I don't blame him for bailing on the pocket. Even that wouldn't be a problem I don't think if he was maintaining good footwork like he did last year. But he's not and it's a mystery to me as to why not.

-Jack Burton

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Over the years, I have often taken the time to explain coverages, blocking schemes, pre and post-snap reads, alignments, etc. I have done so to help educate others and have been fairly thorough when describing these things and have been open to answering questions. After years of such posts, you still think I don't know what I'm talking about....well, maybe we shouldn't talk.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Great post. Very objective and truthful.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
I think his problem with the Oline isn't a lack of time. I think it's that they aren't creating throwing lanes for him on a consistent basis.This could be that height issue rearing its head. He's had a number of balls batted pretty early inn the year so if consistent throwing lanes aren't being opened up I don't blame him for bailing on the pocket. Even that wouldn't be a problem I don't think if he was maintaining good footwork like he did last year. But he's not and it's a mystery to me as to why not.

That is an excellent observation. For example, I don't regularly see Kush getting 'beat', but he gets very little push and is regularly near where Baker is supposed to step-up. Hubbard is wildly inconsistent and his backup is a G. I think Baker has no confidence in the OL or the scheme and that is contributing to his own problems.

Look at what's changed since last year:

Scheme - different
RG - downgraded
TE - downgraded
FB - eliminated

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Baker_Dawg
Versatile Dog is a thinly veiled Baker hater. Check out everyone one of his posts they are regarding either the performance or some imaginary trait of Baker holding us back.

Like the statement that Baker only reads half the field. Completely false, but he says it so much on this board people act like it is actually true. Or the falsehood that guys are streaking down the field wide out open and Baker chooses to hold the ball and not throw to them.

The truth is the play calling which has focused on big downfield plays has failed because:, people can get pressure with 4 men and drop 7 in to coverage, since our oline is poor and we refuse to consistently run the ball. Baker is throwing out of empty sets with no threat of the run to make the defense honest like we have the Cowboys oline. He played an entire game in 2nd and 3rd and 20 because of non-stop penalties. He is playing without his favorite receiver and his tight end. You think its not likely the receivers are making some mistakes too? Give me a break. Is Baker playing great? No, but he is far from the sole reason why the O is struggling. Baker will improve with the rest of the team if the coach calls a smarter more balanced game. I think they will, probably this week.

Setting the rookie TD record and leading the Browns out of the gutter is not an aberration. You can pile on with the rest of hyperbolic media in this tough stretch, but soon the Baker and Browns will be rolling again. But then you'll still be unhappy because it happening with Baker. Sorry VD.

is that you Baker!?!?

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
B
2nd String
2nd String
B
Nope just sick of reading Versatile's one-sided Baker hate post's. It's fine if he wants to post unprovable lies like Baker can't read a defense, but does he have to do it on every post?

Is there room on the Browns board for people that like and believe in our QB among the "fans" that want to trash our QB after a slow start with all new coaches, a rebuilt oline, and lots of other new pieces?

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
Originally Posted By: Baker_Dawg

is that you Baker!?!?

I’d imagine the truth lies somewhere in the middle as usual ...

U can divide it up any way u like but IMO ...

Freddies STUNK ..
Bake’s STUNK ..
The OL has STUNK ...

There all responsible for their OWN STINKINESS and can’t glom it off on anyone else .... and when u combine all their STINKINESS together u get the result we’ve seen ... CRAP!!!

The OL has been hurt by injuries but that doesn’t mean there not a part of the problem ... we also knew they’d struggle coming in ... Freddie and Bake being this bad regardless of why or who gets what % of the blame is irrelevant ... they both simply have to improve or its gonna be a long next 5 weeks ...

There was improvement last week ... lets hope it continues and the few glaring dumb ass play calls by Freddie go out the window .... he can’t have STUPID SPELLS!!!

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
i wonder how great the effect of baker losing Higgins, Calloway and then Njoku. This has alllowed defenses to focus on Jarvis and obj and taken away three starters and replaced them with backups. That has to hurt.

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

I think Baker HAS to trust both OBJ and Landry. He is also already familiar with Landry after last year. It has been proven that there are open WR's Baker is simply not seeing.

If it's a lack of confidence in his WR's to do their job, that's on Baker. Each layer is responsible to do their own job and finding the open WR and delivering the ball to them is Baker's job.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I ignored your crap earlier, but this is the second time you called me a liar. You are misrepresenting my claims. I have also provided multiple links w/stats, videos, charts, analytics, etc to support every freaking claim I have made.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Quote:

I’d imagine the truth lies somewhere in the middle as usual ...

I'm not sure I get this quote, bro? It's reading that Baker Brown is excluding Baker from any blame and I am putting all the blame on Baker. Am I reading that wrong? Before you answer, I want to say this.

I have blamed Baker for some of it.

I have blamed the OL for some of it.

I have blamed the scheme/coaching for some of it.

Not sure how that is different from what you are saying?

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Offensive Scheme

Link Copied to Clipboard