Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
P.S. I think everyone on this board is going to have a better Monday than what our "norm" usually is smile

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
One minor gripe, do the Ravens ever get called for holding?

I see them tackling, hands to the face, and huge handfulls of jerseys.

The blocks to the back were a nice touch too.

And hey, choking is legal now on the field.

We're trying to throw the ball downfield and he checked the ball down to Trent Richardson and the Indians on the choice.
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: tru_dawgs
P.S. I think everyone on this board is going to have a better Monday than what our "norm" usually is smile

It was amazing. After the game...my kids behaved better, the weather was nicer, my beer was colder, and dinner tasted better.

LOL - The Rish will be upset with this news as well. KS just doesn't prioritize winning...
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

It was amazing. After the game...my kids behaved better, the weather was nicer, my beer was colder, and dinner tasted better.

We most def. deserve that my friend!

C
Legend
Legend
C
Wasn't Calloway injured as well right before getting suspended...and I don't think he was allowed around the team (may be wrong) So still have to worry if he's fully healed or conditioned right...But I think even in a scaled back approach he should help...at least take some snaps from Ratley.

Callaway was allowed to stay around the team to rehab a high ankle sprain. Kareem Hunt was not allowed to stay with the team.

Legend
Legend
I had to work today, so I recorded the game (folks at work know to not talk NFL with me when we work on Sundays. I disable my 4G so my phone doeesn't receive push updates).

I'm going to have a lot of fun reading this thread, but I'm making 2 basic, blanket statements before I read any posts, or volunteer any other post-game thoughts.

1. I watched CLE push around a division rival today. A division rival in an important early sesaon game.
2. I watched CLE win a game in the opponent's back yard.

More later, I'm sure... but this game made the AFCN look very different than than it did yesterday.

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
L
Legend
Legend
L
Oh yeah Monday will be su-weeeet!

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I have a lot that I'll get to later, but we won a game that mattered against a team with a winning record.

Baker gets a win when it mattered most.

I'll take it.

Unlike baseball, QBs aren't credited with wins and losses.

Just wanted you to know.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
J/C

I think Kitchens said it, but I agree: Landry gives us our energy. Of course OBJ is the star, but Landry gets tough/reliable yards and plays hard which translates to other guys getting pumped

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
I have a lot that I'll get to later, but we won a game that mattered against a team with a winning record.

I'll take it.

Just wanted you to know.

True, it's not exactly like baseball, but the only two people who are credited with wins and losses in football are the quarterback and the head coach.

This is technically Baker's 8th credited win as a starter but most of us know that he's also responsible for our first win last year when he came into the game in relief of the starting QB.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I agree that Landry is the heart and soul of the team. He's an outstanding player, he doesn't complain, he gets the big picture, he's competitive as hell, and he's the most aware guy on the field. He knows when to call timeouts. Last two games he's the only one signaling timeouts to the refs. And they're appropriate. Everyone else is on lala land.

We are fortunate to have Landry on this team. His contributions go beyond the stat line.

thumbsup

B
Legend
Legend
B
In general, the team looked good and is starting to play in sync.

I expect good things moving forward.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

I'll take it.

Just wanted you to know.

Are you sure?

LOL - The Rish will be upset with this news as well. KS just doesn't prioritize winning...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have not been able to get online until now. I will read the other posts after I finish mine. I imagine everything I have will be duplicates of what's already here.

- Huge win. Yuge. the difference between being in first place in the AFCN to being two games out, with the same record as whoever wins the clash of the titans tonight.

- 2-0 on the road this year. 0-2 at home.

- We needed this. We laid an egg in game one, did not look good while dominating a bad team in week 2, and in week 3 took a very good team to the wire with a decimated defensive backfield, held back more by our play calling than anything else. We were still trying to figure out who we were. That Titans game is starting to feel more like an aberration. This is good.

- Went back to the quick hitters. Like the second half of last year. And it was effective. You know, like the second half of last year.

- Baker sacked once, and on the first drive. When the OL does not have to protect for 5 seconds on each snap, things get better.

- I was shocked to see that going into week 4 we were tied for most penalties in the NFL. Not shocked that we had the most, shocked that someone caught us that quickly. Who was it?

- Glad to see that we did not abandon the run game. Definitely started slow, but in the second half the gains were starting to get to 7 and 8 yards. Wore out the D.

- Chubb is fun to watch. Broke three tackles on that 14 yard TD run. I know that kind of thing ticks off a coaching staff, especially when you are known as a defensive team. If it makes them feel any better, there were no missed tackles on that 88 yard TD run.

- Looks like Balt concentrated on taking OBJ out of the game. Thanks to Baker for not locking in on OBJ for once, Landry had a career day and all was well with our offense. Hope Juice is alright.

- Lamar. It's no secret that I have not been on the Lamar train. I know that Balt did really well in his starts last year, losing only one game. I forget if it was 5-1, 6-1, whatever. But looking at his stats he did not look like a one loss QB and I wondered how much Lamar really had to do with that. For one half of the last game last year, we showed that if you keep him in the pocket and force him to throw, then Balt will struggle. The Charges enhanced that plan in the playoffs and Lamar had about as bad as a performance as one could. Until the game was decided, then he managed to pad the numbers so that they no longer looked abysmal.

- To me, IMO, that is what Lamar has done this year. Pad his numbers. He racked up ridiculous numbers against Miami. But playing Miami is like playing Rutgers. He padded his numbers by playing a team that would struggle in the SEC. Then another win vs. AZ, another team predicted to fight for the first pick in the draft. Did not look as good in that game, though AZ is bad. Not Dolphins bad, but bad. Then against a good team in KC, did not accomplish much until the end, when the game was more less decided and KC was defending against the big play and letting things open up underneath. Pretty much the same thing yesterday with us. The only pass play of significance was the one to Snead, where it was a total defensive breakdown. After the game was decided and we were guarding against the big play. And that TD was Snead more than Lamar.

- Lamar wants to be known as a QB who can throw. I get that, it is a pride thing. But the fact is, you keep him in the pocket and make him beat you with his arm, he won't. He is terribly inaccurate. Wide open guy along the sidelines, the WR could not come down in bounds because the throw was off target. That 4th down play where he and the TE had different reads on which route - the announcers said by the way every one reacted it was the QB who read it wrong. Another pass to a wide open guy in the flat was down at his feet. There were others. The announcers were putting as much of it on the receivers as they could, but Lamar is inaccurate.

- Another good defensive game plan. Two weeks in a row. Still missing 3 of our starting DBs, but the guys we put out there can play. Incredible depth.

- Such a great win.

- Tonight I am rooting for Cincy, which I hate doing. But I was at a gathering Sat night to watch the Buckeyes and was surrounded by Steeler fans. I guess they picked up Paxton Lynch? They think their season is saved. Guy was available for a while for a reason. Even though I am in Columbus I rarely encounter Cincy fans in person. Unless the team is doing really well, they disappear like roaches when you turn on a light. I only run across Cincy fans online. Steeler fans I see in person. I do not like them. I would love for them to go 0-4.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
I hope OBJ does a presser this week wearing a spiked dog collar.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I forgot to mention my new favorite call by a referee:

"There were multiple fouls committed by both teams, both during and after the play. Everything offsets."

Something like that.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Mayfield was getting rid of the ball faster for sure. Great game. Big moral booster. Next.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
1st String
1st String
Earl Thomas, Brandon Williams have 'heated' talk after loss
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...&akvideo=on

BALTIMORE -- Following a game in which the Ravens' defense gave up 530 yards to the Browns -- the fourth most allowed in team history -- frustrations boiled over for a couple of key players on the unit.

Safety Earl Thomas and defensive tackle Brandon Williams had a heated discussion in the training room in which Thomas expressed his frustrations that Williams was inactive for Sunday's 40-25 loss, sources with knowledge of the argument said.

Thomas entered the training room as Williams was getting dressed and preparing to depart M&T Bank Stadium, one source said, adding the argument didn't get physical because players and staff members quickly interceded.

A Ravens official did not offer any comment when asked about the spat between Thomas and Williams.

Williams had been added to the Ravens' injury report Saturday morning as questionable with a knee injury. The team was hopeful he would play Sunday, but Williams wasn't able to do much in a pregame workout, so the Ravens held him out. The Pro Bowl defensive tackle's absence surely helped the Browns rush for 193 yards, including an 88-yard touchdown for Nick Chubb.

"It was wide open," Chubb said in an interview with NFL Network after the game. "You could've run though that hole."

Thomas, who was never shy to show his emotions in his time with the Seahawks, is in the first year of a four-year, $55 million deal he signed with the Ravens in the spring as part of a changeover on the defensive side of the ball that saw the team part ways with veterans such as Terrell Suggs, Eric Weddle and C.J. Mosley. Those players were all considered leaders and many wondered whether their departures would leave that side of the ball looking for guidance at key points in the season.

Right now, with Baltimore having surrendered 73 points combined in back-to-back losses, would be one of those moments.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Baltimore plays PIttsburgh next week ... to me, whoever loses that game I’m happy with.

Ideally, we’d like Pittsburgh to lose tonight and then beat Baltimore

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
A great team win!

Tons of guys performed well and the team deserves credit for staying focused and coming out prepared...finally.

- I thought the O-line played particulary well, especially in run blocking.

- Can't say enough about Chubb. Had a monster game against a good Ravens defense. The line opened up a lot of holes for him as well.

- Landry had a great game as well. It seemed obvious early on that the Ravens gameplan was to try to limit OBJ's impact and with Higgins, Njoku, and Callaway out, we needed Landry to step up and he did.

- Schobert continues to prove that he is the leader on that defense. People are giving Whitehead credit for the forced fumble but I thought I saw Schobert pop it our with his helmet...I'll need to go back and look. The dude was all over the field yesterday. He's like Chubb in that he doesn't talk much but puts his head down and performs.

- Ogunjobi might be the most consistently performing player on the defensive line.

- Whitehead filled in nicely.

- Mayfield played much better.

- No holding call against Robinson....I don't think.

Tackles are tackles.
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Why would Thomas get upset at Brandon Williams? Doesn’t the medical staff make those decisions? I guess the player can say “I’m not ready,” but believe me he would WANT to be in the game if at all possible.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
RUMOR: NFL in discussions to flex the Browns/Seahawks game (week 6) to SNF in lieu of the Steelers/Chargers

https://mobile.twitter.com/RuiterWrongFAN/status/1178641928918900737

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Look at Mayfield running all the way down with Chubb. Loved seeing that.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I want to give some more love to the OL, especially since they have taken so much heat. They were outstanding. One example of that was evident on the replay that Trent Green highlighted. We kept Chubb in to block [thankfully] and we had six hats on six rushers. Not one double team. All man on man and Baltimore did not win one single match-up.

I pointed that play out because I thought it might be the easiest to remember and no one has commented on my earlier posts about how Kush made two key blocks on Chubb's long TD run. But anyway, this particular play was indicative of how well the OL played all day long.

The OL understandably was/is a work in progress. They lost an excellent RG and they have a new line coach. It makes sense that it would take some time to jell. They have gotten better each week and they were excellent yesterday. I just want to give them some love because so many of our fans have been trashing them.

1st String
1st String
Originally Posted By: TrooperDawg
Why would Thomas get upset at Brandon Williams? Doesn’t the medical staff make those decisions? I guess the player can say “I’m not ready,” but believe me he would WANT to be in the game if at all possible.

Another article I read said it was the coaches decision to have Williams inactive after watching him in pregame warm-ups.Thomas should be upset with himself.He's the one who gave up on trying to chase down Chubb on that long TD run

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill
Legend
Legend

So we got to trash talk, foul, and fight for free, no flagged laundry yards. We really did have good line play. Kush had a few hustle blocks that were great! The offense lit it up. And the D made the loss stick.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
R
Legend
Legend
R
Speaking of the OL, did anyone else catch Campen kissing Freddie on the head after the game? Interesting/cool moment.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Thomas appears to be a malcontent going back to his days in Seattle.

On a related note, I do not like prime time games and will loathe getting flexed week 6 to SNF against Seattle.

Yesterday we played at 10am and all was right in the world, including my routine.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

Not just running, running with airplane arms. smile brownie

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
I want to give Wilks some love, too. I was really worried about him before the season. I questioned him several times in regards to how his scheme fit our talent.

So, I want to say that the D is playing very well. We have been changing things up quite a bit and he is not blitzing as much as he had in the past. I am not against blitzing, but I thought he blitzed too often before this year.

We're going up against the best offensive mind in the game next week. It should be an interesting match-up.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I want to give Wilks some love, too. I was really worried about him before the season. I questioned him several times in regards to how his scheme fit our talent.

So, I want to say that the D is playing very well. We have been changing things up quite a bit and he is not blitzing as much as he had in the past. I am not against blitzing, but I thought he blitzed too often before this year.

We're going up against the best offensive mind in the game next week. It should be an interesting match-up.
Good point about Shanahan and next week ... IMO, a KEY to the game will be to have Garrett STAY HOME when they run away from him ... Shanny LOVES to suck in the DE, use their momentum against them, then PA/Boot back to their side to hit drag routes ... and Myles SUCKS at this. It’s gonna be an emphasis by SF

Legend
Legend
Now that's the offense I thought I'd see from the beginning.... Good job,, ST, O and D.., Overall, GOOD GAME....

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
R
Legend
Legend
R
jc --

Great Harbaugh moment in his post game presser yesterday. He was asked if he was going to make defensive changes. And he responded to the reporter by asking him what he would suggest.

Media. Man, I know they have a job to do but geesh.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

Not just running, running with airplane arms. smile brownie

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
"Baltimore having surrendered 73 points combined in back-to-back losses"

smile

Joe Thomas #73
M
Legend
Legend
M
Didn't get to see the whole game - and when I was watching it was via mobile hotspot wifi and not ideal.

Great to see Baker, Freddie and the play calling/scheme come together. I text a friend 2 minutes before the announcers said it sometime around 4th Q .... This was the O that we thought we'd see. Another comment I made was about Chubb - damn, it's too bad we didn't have that guy on the roster the first 3 games ...Oh wait ... LOL. Hope we continue to utilize him effectively and with enough touches.

With all that said - I think one of the things I am really excited about based on the last two games in particular, is Wilks and this D. Not only are we dealing with a ton of injuries, we've played some previously high powered offenses... Massive Kudos. I don't care what scheme we're calling and running - I think it's the specific game day prep / play calling that is so impressive. AND in game adjustments. Damn but haven't we seen enough Browns teams play great for 1/2 a game, look like world beaters and then we simply get out coached the second half. Cannot say enough good - great things about Wilks and his preparation for the teams and offenses we have faced.

2-2 feels pretty good and if you'd have offered that to me at the start of the season and looking at our schedule I'd have probably taken it. Would be nice to get another W before we face the Pats ... SF and SEA ... going to be a challenging 3 games but I'm feeling confident that regardless of this next 3 game we should be firing on all cylinders by the time we face the Pats.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Think this is personification of Baker. Folks might want him to tone it down, muzzle his comments, be more traditionally "Professional" ..... but I think what you see here is what you get with Baker. He doesn't hold back, he doesn't want to hold back. It's why team mates love him and want to play for him. I don't think he's arrogant or an "I" player - I think he's just Baker being Baker. There's going to be times when you wish he'd kept silent on something - but at the end of the day this is who he is and the good outweighs the negative.

Last edited by mgh888; 09/30/19 09:35 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c:

I want to give some more love to the OL, especially since they have taken so much heat. They were outstanding. One example of that was evident on the replay that Trent Green highlighted. We kept Chubb in to block [thankfully] and we had six hats on six rushers. Not one double team. All man on man and Baltimore did not win one single match-up.

I pointed that play out because I thought it might be the easiest to remember and no one has commented on my earlier posts about how Kush made two key blocks on Chubb's long TD run. But anyway, this particular play was indicative of how well the OL played all day long.

The OL understandably was/is a work in progress. They lost an excellent RG and they have a new line coach. It makes sense that it would take some time to jell. They have gotten better each week and they were excellent yesterday. I just want to give them some love because so many of our fans have been trashing them.

This isn't a knock on Kush, but I was surprised at how bad Baltimore's LBs looked. It looked like they as much ran themselves out of the hole as Kush blocked them. The Ravens really miss Mosley. They have good athletes there, but are lacking instincts a bit.

Kush did look pretty good.

Other than the play Hubbard pancaked Robinson the whole line fared pretty well.

Earl Thomas calling someone out for not playing strikes me as a tad funny. Definitely looked like he quit on Chubb's long run.

Hopefully, Landry is okay. I'm guessing the concussion came at the beginning of his long stumble down the right sideline.

One thing I've been impressed with with Richardson is his effort. He's chased down quite a few plays from behind.

Ratley is still a work in progress. Hopefully the extended run now will pay off later. It'll be good to have Callaway and Higgins back in the lineup.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend

I want to second this. I was openly critical of a coach that would take a pair of top tier Cover Corners and ask them to play so much Zone..... but, I'll be damned if it isn't working and working well.

As an aside, for anyone that thinks we didn't miss them yesterday, though, I'd simply suggest looking at how much cushion some of their WRs were allowed. Greedy & Ward would have been in much better position to defend some of those passes that were completions yesterday. So, for as well as this defense was, it would have been better.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg

Ratley is still a work in progress. Hopefully the extended run now will pay off later. It'll be good to have Callaway and Higgins back in the lineup.

Yup. Folks need to remember that our #5 WR was elevated to being the #3.

Things should start looking a little better on Tuesday (I'm assuming they will have today off, heh).

If nothing else, depending upon the situation with Landry, all this depth at WR is paying off. If he can't go this week, then at least we should have guys that can.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 40 Ravens 25 Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard