Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1672540 10/01/19 09:52 PM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
--Shanny is the brightest offensive mind in football. He runs a lot more 21 and 22 personnel than most coaches. Here is something that I came across when I started the Offensive Scheme thread. SF was said to run 21 personnel the best in the league:

Quote:
The Patriots’ use of 21 personnel during their Super Bowl run was celebrated as a win for football purists who yearn for a return to the days of two-back offense. The truth is, New England wasn’t very efficient on those plays despite their high usage; the 49ers, however, were very efficient out of 21p — both in the run and pass games. The key man is Kyle Juszczyk, who blocks like a fullback but can also line up in the slot and run a good route. Emerging superstar George Kittle is also a good blocker, allowing Kyle Shanahan to get creative with his run designs. He’s known for his wide zone running game, but the 49ers can turn to other concepts when defenses sell out to stop those zone runs. With Shanahan reuniting with Tevin Coleman, one of the better receiving backs in the league, the 49ers coach can get as creative with formations as his imagination will allow.

Colman was injured, but they still have a nice one-two punch in Breda and Mostert. Shanny is so creative and intelligent. I love his use of route trees [LOL] and how he sets teams up by running certain plays and then adding on to them. It's like an algebraic equation. One variable, one variable, one variable.............then add two more variables off of the same problem. Genius!

--Talent. We have way more than they do. They suffered a ton of injuries and don't have near the talent. Hopefully, we can win the one-on-one match-ups and expose their talent deficiency.

--Jimmy G is very accurate. He is very smart. However, he takes a lot of chances by trying to fit balls into tight windows. The key will be if he can succeed in that or if we can create some turnovers. If we win the plus/minus turnover battle, we win the game.

--I don't think the SF secondary is very good, but they have created some turnovers. This is very related to the previous key, but it's imperative that Baker doesn't turn the ball over.

Legend
Legend
Having our backside DE stay home is going to be a huge factor in this game, especially if it’s Myles ... that’s a staple for Shanny (to play fake and naked boot the other way after the DE gets sucked in) ... our DE’s must be disciplined

Keeping them in 3rd and long is big so they can’t be creative on 3rd and short and keep us off balance. Their whole system tries to keep you off balance

On offense I’d honestly attack Sherman if possible ... he gets a lot of safety help because he’s lost a step, so if possible exploit him

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Having our backside DE stay home is going to be a huge factor in this game, especially if it’s Myles ... that’s a staple for Shanny (to play fake and naked boot the other way after the DE gets sucked in) ... our DE’s must be disciplined

Keeping them in 3rd and long is big so they can’t be creative on 3rd and short and keep us off balance. Their whole system tries to keep you off balance

On offense I’d honestly attack Sherman if possible ... he gets a lot of safety help because he’s lost a step, so if possible exploit him

Could the be a situation where we utilize a more conventional 4-3 alignment and get Avery on the field to defend the miss-direction that you refer to?

I'm also concerned about Kittle, who I think is the most effective playmaker. We have trouble defending the seam routes and he is a big weapon in their offense.

Legend
Legend
I just went and checked how TEs have done against us this season.

If I added them up right, through 4 games we have allowed 15 catches to all opposing TE, for 156 yards, and 3 TE. I didn't check, but I would bet that this is a huge improvement over any 4 game stretch last year.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
I just went and checked how TEs have done against us this season.

If I added them up right, through 4 games we have allowed 15 catches to all opposing TE, for 156 yards, and 3 TE. I didn't check, but I would bet that this is a huge improvement over any 4 game stretch last year.
Lol yeah, we’re used to that in one game

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Possibly Wilks knowledge of another NFC West team? Has to give him something...

L
Legend
Legend
L
They like to run the ball, so we have to devise a way to stop that first, & not allow them to establish the running game.

On O, just do the same thing we did last week: get the ball out of Baker's hand quickly, let our playmakers get YAC. If they want to try to neutralize OBJ as Ravens did, that's ok because we've shown that we have other ways to gash a defence.

Don't abandon the run and keep giving Nick the rock.
Easy -peasy wink

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Jimmy G has 4 TD's and 4 TO's.

if we can slow down the run, Jimmy G can be bated into throwing picks. also, i believe our line can get after Jimmy G because they aren't trying to defend a Lamar type QB.

but slowing down the run is gonna be tough, and nothing will matter if we can stop their 3 headed monster.

Matt Breida has 41 carries, and is averaging 5.5 a carry.

Raheem Mostert has 24 carries, and is average 5.9 a carry.

and then they have a short yardage/goal line back in Jeff wilson Jr, who has 4 TD's already.

thats the major key to the game. if we cant stop the run, nothing else will matter.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Stop the run. They have played the Bengals, Steelers and Bucs, so their rating means nothing to me. The key is Shanahan. The guy is a genius, and will cause problems in coverage.

If the defense stays disciplined I think we will be alright. TOs will be key.

I think we will present the toughest defense they faced this year, we will see who they really are.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
B
Legend
Legend
B
SF is a run first team. We have to limit their ability to move on the ground. Third and 6 is going to be a good spot for us.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Stop their run pressure Garoppalo and RUN Chubb to set up Baker and our WR's ....

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Stop the run, pressure JG. Cause turnovers. Run the ball, and when passing get rid of it quickly to the playmakers. Remain penalty and turnover free. Rinse, repeat.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
He is better at route design than preventing sacks, I hope. Runstuffer, meet at the QB.

He isn't a genius without the ball. Scoring and drives that eat clock. Hammer cam be a wild card if we can keep them close.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think the biggest key is strike fast. If we can make them play from behind, we have a big advantage. Controlling the ball and the clock can be huge once we get the lead. As has been mentioned often, they are a run first team. If we can force them to get away from that it will give us the upper hand.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
Make Jimmy G beat you.

It's as simple as that.

O
Legend
Legend
O
IIRC, when Shanny was here some of the tougher games (losses) we had, even when that offense was humming along (and it was for a short time) happened when we went up against teams with a real stout Dline. Their Dline pretty effectively neutralized our run game, which had a ripple effect on our offense, making for a long day. If that carries over, we can make for a long day with our Dline, as we should have the guys to make that happen (any word on Richardson?).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Remember last game? Rinse, repeat.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
Legend
Legend
I know nothing about the 49ers as a team this year. Like, what is their defense like and how do we match up?

In general, the keys are simple:

Play technically sound, disciplined football for 60 minutes.
Limit mistakes/penalties/turnovers.
Win the trenches.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The 49ers defensive front is going to be my key to the game. It is without question their biggest strength.

Without Joe Staley, they've done a pretty decent job. They should not be able to handle us on the edges though.

I think the key to the game is simple, which D-line gets the better of the opposing offensive line.

BpG #1672962 10/03/19 12:23 PM
Legend
Legend
Bingo, their DL is no joke and they get after you. Employing 2 TE’s not only is our strength, but it plays into this game as well.

Their secondary is on the slow side IIRC (watch them against Pitt)

Their zone blocking run game is legit as well, but their WRs are pedestrian

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
The biggest battle will be their Dline vs our Oline. If Baker is holding the ball we're gonna get screwed.

Play the small ball to open up the home runs. It doesn't even need to be running the ball. Hitches, slants and screens.

If Callaway is back, we'll finally have our second burner. Which means that OBJ should be able to get open.

Legend
Legend

The 49ers are a team that does not scare anyone as far individual talent. They try to win with scheme matchup as opposed to individual matchup. The have some good players but don't overwhelm you.

They like to run and then use play action off the run. JG is an accurate passer with a quick release.

I would like to see the Browns play more under center and use Chubb. Then off two TE sets pass off play action.

Chubb is the hammer. I like to use him with inside and outside screens as well. Our OL seems to run block better than pass protect.

Baker seems to get into a better rhythm when under center. When he turns his back on the defense for play action and turns around the play is either there or not. It settles him into quick rhythm throws to mid-field routes.

Higgins hopefully will return this week. He is very good at sitting down in zones and is a third down charm.

Our defensive front against the Ravens was outstanding. I look for more of the same. Stop the run.

I am hoping to build upon the Ravens game. Know what you can do and do it again.

I like the Browns in this game by 10 or more.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Im going to go on a limb, and say Chubb is the best player we have on this team. There, I said it.

Legend
Legend

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Quote:
Browns-49ers Preview

The Associated Press The Associated Press 16 hours ago

SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) -- Three straight wins to open the season haven't erased all the doubts that four years of losing created for the San Francisco 49ers.

There was an ugly win over a perceived also-run in Tampa Bay, a blowout against overmatched Cincinnati and then a mistake-filled victory over Pittsburgh and backup quarterback Mason Rudolph.

Now the degree of difficulty starts to get much more difficult, starting with Monday night's home game against a Cleveland Browns team that has shown early signs of being a legitimate contender in the AFC North.

''A lot of people on this team don't get credit they deserve, so Monday we're going to showcase that,'' 49ers receiver Marquise Goodwin said.

Skepticism surrounding the 49ers (3-0) and Browns (2-2) is warranted based on the recent history. The two franchises were the bottom two in the league over the previous four seasons, with Cleveland winning a league-low 11 games in that span and San Francisco not far ahead with only 17.

While a healthy Jimmy Garoppolo at quarterback and a vastly improved defense have transformed the 49ers, the Browns have been a bit more inconsistent this season alternating losses with wins.

But they are hoping last week's 40-25 win at Baltimore is a sign of how a star-studded roster led by second-year quarterback Baker Mayfield, dynamic playmakers Odell Beckham Jr. and Nick Chubb, and dominant force Myles Garrett can be different than past Browns teams.

''We came out with a big win this past weekend, and I feel that just the energy is different,'' defensive tackle Larry Ogunjobi said. ''You can tell the guys are really fully buying into what we have going on in here and know that everything we want is in front of us. We just have to keep working.''

Here are some other things to watch:

CHUBB-LE TROUBLE

Chubb's breakout game - and breakaway speed - helped the Browns snap out of their early season offensive funk and push past the Ravens last week. Chubb ran for 165 yards, 88 coming on a jaw-dropping touchdown run in which he was clocked at 21.95 mph, the fastest speed on a touchdown in the NFL this season.

The second-year back, who rushed for 996 yards as a rookie, could be Cleveland's best player. Coach Freddie Kitchens feels Chubb embodies everything the Browns are looking for.

''Every time the clock starts turning, you know what you are going to get from him,'' Kitchens said. ''After all of that, you throw in his ability, his skillset, his desire inside within to be successful and his resilient nature and chasing being good. I do not know what else you want in a football player.''

ON AN ISLAND

The 49ers suffered a significant loss in their latest win with a foot injury that will sideline cornerback Ahkello Witherspoon for at least a month. Witherspoon had been one of the bright spots for San Francisco this season as he bounced back from a rough second year. His injury will likely force Emmanuel Moseley into the starting lineup for the first time in his career. The Niners typically don't have top cornerback Richard Sherman follow No. 1 receivers, meaning Cleveland could force Moseley to match up often with Beckham.

''I'm excited for him,'' Sherman said. ''He's an unknown to these people. And he won't be after this game. I think it will be a positive experience.''

BECKHAM'S BLOCKING

Beckham came to Cleveland with a reputation as being selfish. Last week, he showed he's a team player. The Browns star made several key blocks last week in Baltimore, picking off or shielding defenders downfield on several long plays. The three-time Pro Bowler may be best known for his one-handed catches and fashion choices, but Kitchens said Beckham's willingness to do whatever's necessary is a sign that he's bought into Cleveland's program.

GO TO SKULE

The other major injury the 49ers are dealing with is at left tackle, where veteran Joe Staley will miss at least six weeks with a broken leg. Rookie Justin Skule held his own in his first start two weeks ago against Pittsburgh and Bud Dupree. But he will have a much tougher task this week against Garrett, the No. 1 overall pick in 2017 who has six sacks through four games.

ROAD TESTED

The Browns are 2-0 on the road for the first time since 1994, when they won their first three games outside Cleveland. That's an impressive jump for a team that didn't win any games - home or away - just two years ago. It's been a challenging start to the season for the Browns, who will be playing in their third prime-time game in five weeks.

''Anytime you leave Cleveland, it is difficult,'' Kitchens said. ''You mentioned the length of travel, and that adds another piece of adversity. A Monday night game adds another piece of adversity - more attention. This team is doing a lot of things for the first time. I think they have handled it very well.''

ALL-AROUND THREAT

A few eyebrows were raised around the league in the 2017 offseason when the Niners gave fullback Kyle Juszczyk a $21 million, four-year contract in an era when many teams have gone away from two-back sets. But Juszczyk is a key part of coach Kyle Shanahan's offense, allowing him to dictate matchups. That was clearly the case in San Francisco's most recent game two weeks ago against Pittsburgh. He made a diving 27-yard catch, stiff-armed Minkah Fitzpatrick to the ground on a 22-yard catch and run, added one more short reception and strong run-blocking in a performance that garnered more attention than usual to a player who only touches the ball a handful of times a game.

''When he makes some plays like that in the pass game, I think he gets a little more credit and it's deserved,'' Shanahan said.

---

AP Sports Writer Tom Withers in Berea, Ohio, contributed to this report

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/49ers-browns-become-contenders-years-losing-195204978--nfl.html

Legend
Legend
Sounds like a significant injury to their secondary in Witherspoon (I’ve never heard of him) ... I hadn’t realized that

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
Im going to go on a limb, and say Chubb is the best player we have on this team. There, I said it.

I think we have a few on the same 'elite' level - Chubb, OBJ, Bitonio, MG .... Choosing the one 'best' would be tough to do.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I bought NFL Game Pass last year, this is my second year. I love it. I can watch any game from '18 or '19 in multiple formats including All-22.

So I watched the condensed versions of the 9'ers games against the Bucs and the Steelers. I may try to watch the All-22 from those two games before Monday night. Anyway, I haven't seen the dominance of the 9'er front 7 in those two contests. Yes, they played solidly but did not overwhelm with their pass rush in either contest. I do think the speed rush potential of Ford and Bosa has to be neutralized but we took care of tandem of Miller and Chubb last season and both the Titans and the Rams fronts were blocked adequately for most of those two games.

If anyone else has watched those games and has a different assessment I'd like to hear it.

Not dismissing their defense but what does concern me are the offensive weapons of Kittle and Kyle Juszczyk. That Full-back hurt us badly on a number of plays when he was on the Ravens. He seems to be a heavily used weapon in the SF offensive scheme. We need to be prepared for him.

R
Legend
Legend
R
After reading that I can't help but feel we are going to be singing Freddie's praises at the end of the year. For a first year head coach off to a bumpy start I think he knows what he's doing. From game to game adjustments to the players taking on his personality of play to play, game to game I think the narrative on him is going to be positive at the end of the year.

After the first win against the Jets I thought his victory speech and the players reactions to it was underwhelming and I had this dread that the players just weren't buying in. Two weeks later and I think it was more of they have just taken on the personality of their coach recognizing it was just one win and one in which they didn't play very good in. I also think the physical camp paid huge dividends against Baltimore. We pushed them around and not the other way around.

We are dealing with a man who had a near death experience and knows how to keep things in perspective.

I really think he knows what he's doing. Maybe Diam was right...the man is ready.

My confidence in Freddie and his staff is very high right now.

Legend
Legend
J/C

I forgot to add: Tevin Coleman out of the backfield (if he plays) and Kittle are going to be our defensive keys IMO

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: guard dawg
I bought NFL Game Pass last year, this is my second year. I love it. I can watch any game from '18 or '19 in multiple formats including All-22.

This is my first year... I'm wondering how I lived without "condensed version" of games for all this time. It's nice to re-watch a game in 40 minutes or less.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
FATE #1673221 10/04/19 11:08 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Let us know what you saw from any of the 9'er DLine performances this season.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Jimmy G is one tough dude, he will stand and deliver. Now with that said, when he gets hit early, he tends to hold the ball even longer. Taking a rigging call ie two early in this game could pay huge dividends because if you let him bootleg and play action free from abuse, we will lose.

Linebacker play is key, because our front is built to penetrate the pocket and we leave holes when we really get after it. Schobert and Wilson have been lights out in recognizing and reacting as well as preventing the big hitters.

On offense, have fun and play loose. That relaxed atmosphere was the biggest thing missing In Our losses.

Mix it up, keep them guessing and just have fun!!!

O
Legend
Legend
O
With their injuries and us having Landry and getting Calloway and (hopefully?) Higgins back, we're looking pretty good on the offensive side of the ball. Take their Dline out of the game with more of the Ravens game, and less of the earlier games.

Defense will be a much tougher test. I was really hoping to have our starting CBs back (or at least one of them). Regardless, our Dline is going to have to play up to their hype. We gotta control that line of scrimmage in order to disrupt Shanny's playcalling. Take away or even limit their run game and make Garrapolo sweat a little. Don't get reckless or undisciplined. With our upfront talent and their depleted Oline, we shouldn't need to gamble all that much.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Another thing to consider is that Shanny likes to throw to the TEs and backs. The latter includes all their RBs and their FB.

Thus, we might be able to assume that this is a big game for our safeties and LBers.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Another thing to consider is that Shanny likes to throw to the TEs and backs. The latter includes all their RBs and their FB.

Thus, we might be able to assume that this is a big game for our safeties and LBers.
No doubt. Juszyck, Coleman, and Kittle are their focal points believe it or not

Legend
Legend
This is a game where Schoebert should really shine.

The big thing with Shanny's offense is running multiple things out of the same formation and doing it to either side. Schoebert's ability to recognize things early and get guys in position will be invaluable to the extent that I think we only go as far as he goes.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
Stop their running game to slow down their play-action scheme.

Run the ball early & often. Let Chubb break them down in the first half and open up the play book in the second.

Go Browns!!!!!!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This is the *KEY* to the game:

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 3 49ers 31 Keys to the Game

Link Copied to Clipboard