Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
... and, let's face it, it is looking quite possible, what do you do?

Do you pull the trigger on another QB and try to sell Baker?
Do you take a tackle like Andrew Thomas to lock down the left edge?
Do you maybe take a bookend for Garrett in Chase Young and not look back?

Of course much of this will depend upon how free agency shakes out, but without knowledge of that, I think that I lean toward taking Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia and hopefully be able to check that slot off as fixed for the next decade.

It is VERY tempting to take Chase Young, however... but, I think Thomas is the ideal situation where you have the intersection of Need and BPA.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
OH look whats that?.... its the Fn sky get out of the way every man for himself!

Joe Thomas #73
C
Legend
Legend
C
The top two picks are likely going to be QBs. Chase Young will be third.

Legend
Legend
I would want chase young, but if we are picking 4 or 5, i dont see him lasting there.

i have to assume the skins will take him fist, unless they pull an arizona by moving on from haskins and picking a QB. never know.

if we cant get chase, than a lock down LT has to be it. Baker is our franchise, and we have to assume that moving on from kitchens will be favorable to his growth. we need a LT bad, so i agree that Thomas would be the pick IF young isn't on the board still.

cause if he is...i dunno how you pass that up.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
O
Legend
Legend
O
Our top 5 problems, imo, can't be solved with our upcoming draft pick.

Baker has sucked. Give him another off-season/season and see what happens. He was going to regress. Before we blow it all up, we need to give him an opportunity to right his ship.

I can see us drafting a top-tier LT. I definitely would not mind upgrading our LT with a can't miss prospect (if there is one in this draft). I would hope he's good enough to win the spot from Robinson, and have Robinson and Hubbard duke it out for the RT spot.

Otherwise, we could use a blue-chip talent at LB or FS.

While I would lament this move, I can see the temptation of moving OBJ for draft capital. I would hate to see it happen, as we would not break even on the trade, and moving talent like him is tough to watch. Still, he was brought in at least a year too soon in Baker's development.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
I think were stuck with Baker for another 2 years. I don't think we can pull the plug on Baker until after next year. I say being pretty sure he isn't the guy.

That being said, if we have a Top 5 pick, I think we gotta go DL. All we really have there is Garret, everyone else is just a roleplayer. We need a big time DT.

With our 2nd rd pick it has to be a safety. Dorsey was so dumb for trading Peppers, he was the hammer we needed at safety to pair with Randall the cover guy, so now we have to draft another hammer.

We also probably need to trade back up into Rd 2 and get a LB. Schobert is very good, but Mack Wilson is hot garbage, Kirksey is finished. We need a LB in the worst way.

OL I think is not as bad as it looks. We just need to use FA to get another guard and another tackle and extend Tretter and I think we will be Ok. Or better yet, trade for the Eagles backup tackle that filled in for Peters, and move Robinson to Right tackle, and sign a guard and we are in business.

We will certainly need a different coach though, no getting around that one.

Legend
Legend
I wouldn’t be opposed to drafting a QB to be honest. There’s not much excuse for Baker, with this talent, to be stuck as a bottom 5 team.

However, I don’t think we will do that. I think OT is going to be the pick, and that’s pretty much set in stone.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Can we draft Nick Saban?

S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I wouldn’t be opposed to drafting a QB to be honest. There’s not much excuse for Baker, with this talent, to be stuck as a bottom 5 team.

However, I don’t think we will do that. I think OT is going to be the pick, and that’s pretty much set in stone.

I think we absolutely should draft a QB. I don't think with our first pick, because I think Baker is still a work in progress, and we have other needs, but I would not be against an insurance policy.

We need help with our pass rush, our linebackers, OL. I still think we need a play-making safety that can compliment this defense. I love Randall but I do think we could upgrade the safety position whether it be FS or SS.

Sucks that we are at this part of the year again.

Legend
Legend
I can agree with that. If a QB falls to a place of value, then we absolutely should be looking to draft one. I don't agree with the usual situation of drafting the best QB available with the highest pick we have.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
I can agree with that. If a QB falls to a place of value, then we absolutely should be looking to draft one. I don't agree with the usual situation of drafting the best QB available with the highest pick we have.

Totally, and I would be even more for it if we make a coaching change. I get that fans and media will turn it into Baker vs QB that is the coach's "guy" but if Mayfield is as good as we all want him to be, that kind of garbage won't matter.

Legend
Legend
If we're high enough it's chase young..... if not it's the best offensive tackle ....

<><

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I hate talking Draft instead of playoffs but I think LT...TE..RT...then round off with LBs...Safetys

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Chase Young seems to be the most dominating presence in all of college football....Imagine pairing him opposite of Myles.

However I do recognize that C (Coach not center lol) RT, LT, RG, SS, FS, LB, TE, QB are all great or greater needs as well.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Chase Young is very tempting. It would be great to put him opposite Myles, and Vernon is expensive and not a long-term answer. We could probably move Vernon for a mid-rounder and use that to move back into the 1st to get an OT

Browns is the Browns

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Chase Young is very tempting. It would be great to put him opposite Myles, and Vernon is expensive and not a long-term answer. We could probably move Vernon for a mid-rounder and use that to move back into the 1st to get an OT

In this lost season, I would not mind that scenario whatsoever.

Legend
Legend
I wouldn’t mind Chase Young either (obviously) ... but I’m tired of hearing how stacked our front 7 is all offseason, and then watch us get minimal pressure and not stop the run when it counts. It’s maddening.

Part of me just says: invest everything into the OL (like Dallas, Pittsburgh, etc) and try to just out score teams, because given the current situation in the NFL (penalties and the emphasis on offense) who cares if you have a good D? Just try to rely on timely turnovers

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
Legend
Legend
T
In just my own personal opinion, I think the words playoffs shouldn't be talked about if the Browns can't stay within 1 game of 500.

I don't think the terms next 10 years should be used because this team hasn't done crap that stays around for 10 years except the concept of blowing things up.

Personally I don't think it will matter if you pick top 5, who you get, because look at the right good players they got recently,

and look at how things are still in a state of ruin.

Maybe I think the answer is to stop doing so much in the offseason, as far as making changes to the people,

and maybe do more in the offseason to mimick the good teams, and or to figure out how to play the game of football at a better level with the people already on your team.

( 5-11 teams don't pick top 5)
( 6-10 teams don't pick top 5)
(7-9 teams don't pick top 5)
(8-8 teams don't pick top 5)

Whether you are 8-8 or 9-7 doesn't really matter because you are so far out of the playoff race at this point that there ain't no way you are getting in at 9-7.

Have you seen the Raiders, Bills, all 4 teams in the AFC South?
That's 6 teams fighting for 2 wild card spots, and you aren't anywhere near getting the record the Ravens have, and Oh, (hand to forehead), you are suddenly 2 games behind the Steelers, who started out bad, and haven't played them yet.

So the probability of winning the AFC North, is about zero, even if you run the division table,
even if you go 3-0 in the remaining games vs the Steelers and Ravens, there's a good chance that won't be enough to put you in 1st place in the AFC North,

Which leaves the wild card, and for the wild card,

There are 4 teams in the AFC South, by definition 3 of them won't win it, and all 3 are in better position for one of the two wild cards,

There are the Raiders and Chargers, and the Chiefs in the AFC West, one of which will win the division and the other two are way ahead of you in the race for 2 wild card spots, and,
The remaining team just beat you, the Broncos, so they have a tie breaker against you,

So you have less than a 1 percent chance to win the AFC North,
and a Wayyyy less chance to get the wild card,

And I think that even if you run the table and get to 10-6, that you'll probably be on the outside looking in at the playoff race.

Put it like this, Browns 10-6, but Ravens 11-5
AFC won by the Texans at 11-5, and Tennessee 10-6 Colts 9-7,
Raiders 9-7, Chiefs 10-6 chiefs division winners,
Patriots 14-2, Bills 11-5.

I'm realizing I'm wrong, If they beat the Bills and win out against the Ravens, and Steelers twice, and get to 10-6, they'll have a chance tie breaker wise,
But only a chance,

I know the Giants have missed the playoffs with a 10-6 record, even if other division winners were only 9-7, so 10-6 is no guarantee the Browns would get in.

Legend
Legend
The playoff ship sailed when we lost to Seattle IMO ... winning ant NE was out of the question, and a loss at Denver was the nail in the coffin (even though the coffin was already being lowered)

Losing to the Titans at home, the Rams at home (at the time it seemed like a tough game, but they’ve sucked this year), the Seahawks at home, and the Broncos on the road ... that means we don’t deserve it.

We’ll lose to Buffalo and Pittsburgh .. get to 2-8 .. probably beat Miami to get to 3-8 ... lose at Pittsburgh, beat Cincinnati, lose at Arizona, lose to Baltimore, and beat Cincinnati

FINAL RECORD: 6-10

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Well, I hope we at least start this offseason by signing Tretter and Schobert. And perhaps Randall or Burris. I'd say Higgins, but its seems as though we aren't interested in him.

There's no way I draft a quarterback early. I'm also satisfied with Gilbert as back-up at this point.

Need line help. Offensive and defensive.

I highly doubt we pick in the top 5. If we do, trading back should be a top option as well.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Sounds about right.

Legend
Legend
I dont think Randall is signing, it’s kind of indicated now IMO. Signing Tretter would help ... Schobert is a big maybe, probably depending on what his market is

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

FINAL RECORD: 6-10

The way they have played the last 4 games, how could they possibly win 4 more????????????

Don't tell me how bad the Dolphins and Bengals are...

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
That's 5-11, not 6-10..... and I would not count both Cinci games, nor Miami as an automatic 'W'. They are both playing better than us right now.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
If we are drafting top 5, we will have to consider what the new coach wants to do...

I don't think we will be but regardless of where we draft, I would:

-Stick with Baker.
-Consider trading OBJ for a high draft pick.
-I would want to come out of the draft with our first 4 picks being focused on OL and DBs (safeties)

yebat' Putin
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Bengals
Falcons
Redskins
Jets
Dolphins
Giants
Browns
Bucs

That's the current state of things, in order. We're picking #7 Overall right now.

We play Cinci twice and Miami.
Dolphins get one more against the Jets.
Jets get the Redskins
Miami plays Cinci
Giants still get Jets, Miami, Skins

It's like a WWF Cage Match for the the top picks.

Browns is the Browns

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Chase or OL, OL, OL.

P
Legend
Legend
P
This is a very hard question for me to answer because I haven't really studied most draft eligible players at this point. So my opinion will mainly be based on need more than anything.

My instincts would be to lean heavily in the direction of Chase Young. On the surface he looks like a generational player that you simply couldn't pass up on if he's still on the draft board. Yet having said that, I still have my reservations. I mean, who has OSU actually played this year? It's quite easy to look like a man among boys when you're playing against boys. The meat and potatoes of the OSU schedule is yet to come. For me to draw a definitive conclusion on Chase I'll have to witness OSU playing the stronger teams.

From a strictly positional standpoint, I would say LT bar none. There's a reason Robinson was only signed to a one year deal. That reason is because he is a stop gap measure that needs upgraded. The talent it takes to play LT at a high level is far more rare than some either understand or are willing to admit.

Where the problem comes in is that there aren't a lot of players coming out of the NCAA that are prepared to play LT at the NFL level. The one read, quick play type of systems often ran in the NCAA make it very hard to grade a LT. Teams are often burned drafting a LT high in the draft because of this.

A Joe Thomas doesn't come along very often. They are about as rare as a true franchise QB. So from a position standpoint I'm all in on the LT idea as a top five draft pick. From the perspective of if there's a LT in this draft worthy of a top five selection, the jury is still out for me.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Since the thread title specifically says we are in the "Top 5", then it is Chase Young. I'd trade up for him, but would hope for all QB-needy teams picking ahead of us.

If we pick where we would today (at # 7 per Prpl) I'd STILL consider trading up for Young but that's probably stupid. I would have to say B.P.A. and HOPE STRONGLY that the B.P.A. is really an instant-starter Left Tackle. No reaches, no projects. LSU safety, Grant Delpit, is mighty intriguing too.

Legend
Legend

TOP OFFENSIVE LINE PROSPECTS 2020

https://walterfootball.com/draft2020OT.php

Andrew Thomas*, OT, Georgia
Height: 6-5. Weight: 320.
Projected 40 Time: 5.10.
Projected Round (2020): 1.
10/12/19: Thomas has been very good for Georgia this year as a shutdown pass protector and solid contributor in the ground game. After putting on a clinic in Week 1 against Vanderbilt, the Bulldogs have had a lot of easy opponents.

Thomas helped Georgia to a tough win over Notre Dame. Taking on Notre Dame's edge rushers, Thomas held them in check and did a good job of protecting Jake Fromm. Thomas had some critical protections and did well in run blocking, including opening a goal-line hole for D'Andre Swift to score. Team sources say that Thomas is a future top-10 pick and where he goes in the 2020 NFL Draft will depend a lot on team needs.

8/17/19: Thomas had a strong 2018 season for Georgia at left tackle and was a big part of the team's juggernaut rushing attack. He also was a steady pass protector who did a good job of protecting Jake Fromm. Entering 2019, multiple team sources say that the junior jumped out at them and was impossible to ignore. Thomas was very impressive at right tackle as a true freshman, starting there all season and helping the Bulldogs to produce a dominant rushing attack. He also flashed impressive athleticism and length in pass protection.

In pass protection, Thomas has the potential to be a starting left tackle. He has quick feet with a good build and athleticism on the edge. Thomas can play the typewriter with his feet to cut off the edge from speed rushers. With good hand placement and technique, Thomas is a well-developed pass protector who sustains his blocks and prevents a successful second effort from defenders. Thomas plays with good leverage and knee bend on most plays, and that allows him to hold his ground against bull rushes. Thomas also is very disciplined and you don't see inconsistencies from play to play or game to game.

As a run blocker, Thomas is effective. He is quick to the second level and fires out of his stance. He gets into defenders quickly with no hesitation to get physical and tie them up. Thomas is strong to lock up defenders and sustain his blocks. He is not overwhelmingly powerful like Quenton Nelson or Brandon Scherff in college, but Thomas has the strength to manipulate and turn defenders in the ground game to open holes for backs. He has more strength than some other tackles who have gone in the first round recently, including Jonah Williams or Andre Dillard, and Thomas is a better run blocker at left tackle than many college tackles who enter the NFL these days coming from spread offenses that don't play as much of a physical pro -tyle offense.

There are some things that Thomas can improve on as a junior. With fast edge rushers or surprise blitzes off the edge. he can get into some trouble by bending at the waist and reaching after defenders. He could stand to add more strength to move pro defenders at the point of attack, but considering he is still very young. he has plenty of time to do that as he will benefit from aging with experience in a pro strength and conditioning program.

Walker Little*, OT, Stanford
Height: 6-7. Weight: 304.
Projected 40 Time: 5.40.
Projected Round (2020): 1-3. 10/12/19: Little was playing well overall against Northwestern, but late in the fourth quarter, he had to be helped off the field after suffering a serious knee injury. Little suffered a dislocated knee and is out for the year.

8/17/19: Little was impressive as a freshman starter at left tackle for Stanford in 2017. He did an effective job in run blocking and helped Bryce Love to a huge season. Little was solid as a sophomore and showed an improved ability to protect the passer, doing a respectable job in keeping pressure off of quarterback K.J. Costello.

In pass protection, Little is tough to beat for edge rushers. He has good length and strength, and is able to bend at the knee. Little sets up well to take on rushers, and once he gets a hold of defenders, they are in trouble. His length and strength allow him to sustain blocks to the whistle, and he is very difficult for rushers to shed. His long arms and strong upper body also give him an edge in recoverability, so even when he is slightly out of position, he can compensate by getting enough of the rushers to give his quarterback time to throw. Generally, Little is very dependable to not allow pressure. He has good hand placement and is intelligent to recognize how defenses are attacking the edge. Little also flashes some nastiness as a pass blocker, and it is not uncommon to see him grab a rusher in the chest and throw them to the ground with ferocity. Little sets a physical presence and is a real battler who makes it a long day for edge rushers to match up against.

Little is a plus run blocker for a left tackle. He is a fighter who has some nastiness to him. He definitely is not a finesse left tackle thatwhoshies away from getting violent with defenders. Little can get into the chest of defensive linemen and get a push on them at times. At other times, he uses his length to turn and manipulate defenders to keep them out of the play. In the ground game, Little could stand to improve his ability to stay on his feet. Too often, he stumbles and falls to a knee at the second level or trying to push a defender.

Trey Adams, OT, Washington

Height: 6-7. Weight: 334.
Projected 40 Time: 5.32.
Projected Round (2020): 1-3.
10/12/19: This season, Adams has done a good job of protecting Jacob Eason and opening holes at the point of attack. Adams had a solid game against Stanford until allowing a sack very late in the fourth quarter in garbage time. NFL sources told me that Adams impressed them during fall camp.

8/17/19: Adams had surgery for a back injury and missed a large portion of the 2018 season. He eventually returned to the field and did well considering what he was coming back from. There is no doubt that Adams is talented, but he has had major injuries and will have significant durability concerns for the NFL. Staying healthy for the 2019 season is critical for Adams' draft grade.

According to NFL teams' 2018 preseason data provided by team sources, Adams checks in at 6-foot-7, 334 pounds. At that heavy weight, Adams was said to run a fast 40 at 5.10 seconds. Other data had him with 34.25-inch arms, 10.13-inch hands and an 81.13-inch wing span. He has excellent measurables to be an edge blocker in the NFL.

In October of the 2017 season, Adams tore an ACL, which led to him returning for his senior year even though he still could have been a first-round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft. Adams was solid, but not dominant, before getting hurt. He didn't have a flawless season opener against Rutgers, but was better in other games. Adams showed good length, quickness, athleticism and agility. Sources from around the league thought he was a first-rounder, with some liking him at left tackle and others thinking he would a better fit at right tackle. One college scouting director said they had a higher grade on Adams than they did on Garett Bolles in 2016, who was the first tackle taken in the 2017 NFL Draft.

During the summer leading up to fall camp for the 2017 season, scouting sources with NFL teams who had gone ahead to work the 2018 class during the spring told me that they thought Adams had the potential to be an elite prospect. Those evaluators felt that Adams could emerge as one of the top talents for the 2018 NFL Draft and had him in the top three of all players entering the 2017 season. They compared Adams' size and athleticism to Taylor Lewan coming out of Michigan, and also said that Adams has good technique to go with his impressive skill set. Adams was one of the top left tackles in the Pac-12 in 2016. The Huskies fielded a potent passing offense, and Adams did a nice job of keeping his quarterback, Jake Browning, protected. Adams was excellent against Alabama in the playoff game.

In pass protection, Adams shows serious athletic ability for a big-bodied offensive tackle. He is quick, agile, and very athletic at playing in space. Adams uses his quick feet and length to neutralize speed rushes, and has an impressive ability to get depth in his drop. He does a superb job of keeping his feet moving and is able to play the typewriter while gliding with edge rushers.

As a run blocker, Adams can create a push at the point of attack. He is a true bull who overwhelms defenders at the point of attack, and he is able to knock defenders back to open holes in their gaps. Adams' speed and athletic ability can be seen with his quickness to hit blocks on the perimeter and the second level.

Tristan Wirfs*, OT, Iowa
Height: 6-5. Weight: 322.
10/12/19: Wirfs has blocked well overall for Iowa, but has some areas of improvement for the NFL and that was evident in him struggling against Michigan.

For the NFL, Wirfs has a quality skill set with size, length and athleticism. Wirfs plays with good leverage as a run blocker and sustains his blocks well. He sets up pretty well, but he definitely has some issues to clean up in pass protection for taking on NFL edge rushers. Wirfs has an inclination to bend at the waist on times. While he is quick out of his stance, he needs to get more depth in his kick slide to avoid reaching after speed rushers coming around the corner. Wirfs also needs to get better at counter moves to the inside. While he has the physical talent to play left tackle, he could better off at right tackle and it would be better for him to return for his senior year to improve before going pro. In speaking with some team sources after the game against Michigan, they agreed that Wirfs looked more like a late first-rounder than a top-10 pick.

8/17/19: Under head coach Kirk Ferentz, Iowa has produced a lot of good offensive line talent, so it was very noteworthy when Wirfs became the first true freshman to start at tackle under Ferentz. While being the regular starter on the right side, he did play left tackle in Iowa's bowl game to end his freshman campaign but was back at right tackle in 2018. Wirfs is a powerful right tackle who is a strong run blocker at the point of attack. He also has the quickness and athleticism to develop into a good pass protector. As a sophomore, Wirfs didn't allow a sack. Some NFL teams might consider moving him to left tackle.

Sam Cosmi**, OT, Texas
Height: 6-6. Weight: 295.
Projected Round (2020): 1-3. 10/12/19: Team sources like Cosmi and think he is a better prospect than Connor Williams was at Texas. They feel that Cosmi is raw and needs development, but athletically, he is an interesting prospect. Cosmi has yet to play a lot and need to get stronger for the NFL. Team sources feel that he should go back to school if he wants to be a secure first-round pick in his draft class.

8/17/19: As a redshirt freshman, Cosmi earned a starting spot at right tackle for the Longhorns and had an impressive debut. He did a good job in pass protection, showing some length and athleticism on the edge. For the NFL, it would help Cosmi to get stronger, but as a young player, he probably will add weight and strength as he ages and gains more experience. Even though he is a redshirt sophomore, Cosmi was placed on NFL teams' preseason watch list, with some evaluators believing he has the potential to go in the top half of the 2020 NFL Draft.

Prince Tega Wanogho, OT, Auburn
Height: 6-7. Weight: 301.
Projected 40 Time: 5.00.
10/12/19: Wanogho has looked very good at times for Auburn and still has some other plays that illustrate how he is raw and needs development, but there is no doubt that Wanogho has a great skill set with a lot of upside if he plays up to his potential. He has the skill set of a starting left tackle for the NFL. Some sources feel he could be this year's Greg Little as a player with a first-round skill set who slips to the second day because of being raw with underdeveloped technique.

8/17/19: Wanogho earned the starting left tackle job in 2018 and got better as the season progressed. He has a lot of upside with size, athleticism and quickness. Scouts have told me that Wanogho has an excellent skill set, but is very raw and needs to be coached up as he lacks consistency. They feel that Wanogho could be the 2020 version of Greg Little as a gifted prospect who lacks consistency and doesn't always play up to his skill set.

In 2017, Wanogho had a rough start to the year against Clemson and was eventually removed from the starting left tackle job. If Wanogho plays up to his tools as a senior, he could easily rise high in these rankings and infinitely more importantly on teams' draft boards.

Mekhi Becton*, OT, Louisville
Height: 6-7. Weight: 369.
Projected 40 Time: 5.60.
Projected Round (2020): 1-3. 10/12/19: Becton is a giant blocker who is similar to Cordy Glenn. While Becton (6-7,330) is huge, he is a good athlete for his size and moves pretty well in space. He does a nice job in the ground game of sustaining his blocks. Even though he is massive, Becton is not a true bull who overpowers blockers. He makes it tough for them to get free with his size as he turns and manipulates them. In pass protection, he needs to improve his hand placement as he can get too wide and let defenders get their hands in chest. That can make Becton have problems with bull rushes. Becton has talent, but it might best for him to return for his senior year and redistribute some weight with added strength and improved technique before going pro.

8/17/19: Becton is a massive blocker who is a pretty good athlete for his size. For the next level, it would help him to trim some weight and get in better condition. However, teams like his talent and upside, and some have placed him as having potential to be selected in the top half of the 2020 NFL Draft entering his junior season.

Trey Smith*, OT/G, Tennessee
Height: 6-6. Weight: 320.
10/12/19: Smith has returned to the field this season and has been a solid left guard for Tennessee. It might be in his best interest to return for his senior year and show that the blood-clot issue is behind him so NFL teams won't have less of a concern there.

8/17/19: Smith had a strong sophomore season for Tennessee prior to missing the final five games of 2018 with blood clots in his lungs. The issue first impacted Smith during workouts after his freshman season. After being held out for some time, Smith returned to practice in training camp and played the first seven games of the 2018 season while showing his impressive skill set for the Volunteers. Smith's status for 2019 is in question, but he has been taking part in non-contact parts of training camp practice. Head coach Jeremy Pruitt was not ready to say if Smith will play in 2019, but Smith is working with his medical team in hopes of playing again. Obviously, Smith has to play and maintain a high caliber of play to be a first-round pick.

In 2017, Quenton Nelson was the top offensive lineman in college football, but the second-best guard in the nation could have been Smith. Considering there were other good guards like Will Hernandez and Braden Smith who were second-round picks in the 2018 NFL Draft, that is really saying something for how Smith played as a freshman. Smith dominated at the point of attack and was extremely impressive when taking on Alabama. He looked like he was just scratching the surface with the upside to be even better with more experience. Smith played guard and left tackle for the Volunteers as a freshman.

Yasir Durant, OT, Missouri
Height: 6-7. Weight: 330.
Projected 40 Time: 5.48.
Projected Round (2020): 2-3. 10/12/19: Durant has been solid for Missouri, but he has illustrated that he should be a right tackle in the NFL. Durant needs to get in better shape, and team sources have concerns about his work ethic.

8/17/19: Sources say that Durant has starting potential for the NFL, but they believe he probably will end up being a right tackle only for the next level. Evaluators feel that Durant has talent and upside, but he has problems with weight and lethargy. Durant is a big blocker who has length and size on the edge that makes him tough for edge rushers to get around. In 2018, he was a leading blocker on a line that was one of the best in nation for fewest sacks allowed and was very steady in protecting the blind side for Drew Lock. The Tigers also had some success on the ground while averaging 200 yards per game.

Durant broke into the starting lineup in 2017 after watching the first three games. He started out his collegiate career at Arizona Western Community College and was one of the top junior college recruits after one semester at Arizona Western.

Hakeem Adeniji, OT/G, Kansas
Height: 6-4. Weight: 310.
Projected Round (2020): 2-3.
10/12/19: Adeniji probably should move inside to guard for the NFL because he lacks length for blocking on the edge. He is a good athlete who is a smooth mover and quick on his feet. Adeniji could be a really good fit at guard in a zone-blocking system.

8/17/19: Adeniji has been a starter at left tackle during his collegiate career, but NFL teams have him listed as a guard on their preseason watch list, and some advance scouts identify Adeniji as having the potential to go in the top half of the 2020 NFL Draft. Adeniji is a skilled pass protector who has some athleticism and movement skills. Team sources say he is a good athlete with quick feet but is shorter than ideal for a left tackle.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: Dawg Duty
I hate talking Draft instead of playoffs but I think LT...TE..RT...then round off with LBs...Safetys

god i forgot about TE

Baker Mayfield could really benefit from more consistent TE's. I think that is maybe the second highest need behind OL.

OL, pass rush, TE. We really need to get those guys via draft. Get fresh players who will have their first pro systems be with the Browns. FA is important, and I think you can get away with it, but the majority of our best guys really need to come via drafting/signing UDFA.

I am so glad that this next draft seems to be loaded with good OL talent, because whether we were having a good year or not, the OL needed to be addressed. I think good teams can mask weaknesses on the OL, but I think we just have one too many at this point.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted By: Brownoholic
LSU safety, Grant Delpit, is mighty intriguing too.

This is what I'm thinking as well.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Assuming Freddie can magically pull his playcalling-head out of his butt, I wouldn't mind overdrafting one of those TE/FB hybrids. Big dude who can block, move, and catch. Somebody with that much versatility that can be included in plays and give the defense a little extra to worry about would be nice.

Njoku is fine, but I would love to have just one "pocketknife" type player added to the offense.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Assuming Freddie can magically pull his playcalling-head out of his butt, I wouldn't mind overdrafting one of those TE/FB hybrids. Big dude who can block, move, and catch. Somebody with that much versatility that can be included in plays and give the defense a little extra to worry about would be nice.

Njoku is fine, but I would love to have just one "pocketknife" type player added to the offense.

Yeah, I mean look at what George Kittle is doing for Jimmy G. I like Njoku but I think most of us can agree he’s not really a pro bowl TE, and even if he was, our depth there is really weak.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: AZBrown

I’d be for this one too

S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: AZBrown

I’d be for this one too

I’ll third that, it just seems so likely he’s gonna be an impact player and immediately

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Spergon FTWynn

Yeah, I mean look at what George Kittle is doing for Jimmy G. I like Njoku but I think most of us can agree he’s not really a pro bowl TE, and even if he was, our depth there is really weak.

I should've included this on my first post, but I have to admit some bias against players in the mold of Njoku. I think a TE has HAS to be a well-rounded athlete and football player. I just don't get (and this very well could be my lack of understanding) what's beneficial about having a TE who sucks at blocking. What you actually have is a very big WR.... so call him as much and line him up appropriately, I say.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Agreed.

Antonio Gates set the new model.

The likes of Njoku & Winslow are flashy, but if they cannot block well for you, their value is greatly diminished. I'd rather have a Darren Fells that will block like a beast and be less of a receiving threat because you get that added pass protection, added run blocking, and can still leak out for a pass every so often.

We need Less Flash, More Substance.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Spergon FTWynn

Njoku is pretty good and he's a big athletic red zone target but he's a TE/WR hybrid, not a TE/FB hybrid.

yebat' Putin
O
Legend
Legend
O
Perhaps once Baker grows into the mold of a Brees or Rivers, a guy like Gates makes a lot more sense.

-PrplPplEater
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season 2020 NFL Draft If we end up picking Top 5...

Link Copied to Clipboard