O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
j/c:

Schobert had a fantastic game.

I think Richardson had a good game as well.

Fun Fact: Schobert is in Top 5 for Tackles and Interceptions.
Dude is straight-up earning All-Pro this year and we CANNOT let him leave.

Richardson had himself a game!
I do find it hard to believe that those were his first two sacks on the year, though. That's just crazy, but perhaps it is speaking to the role being asked of him? Is he being asked to play the run gaps and push the pocket while pressure/sacks comes from the outside more?

The word when we brought him in was that he was going to be our biggest run-stuffer. That made sense to me at the time with him being in the back half of his career, but I was curious if he'd also be able to sorta tap into his younger self and temporarily be that beastly pass-rusher he was with the Jets.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Swish #1698554 11/25/19 11:34 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Certainly happy to see the W. Even if it was an inferior team. I loved watching Baker and the WR's clicking so well.

Yet at the same time, I think we should all remember that the Dolphins have had so many injuries in their secondary that they have had a total of 11 players in their secondary rotation. They are the very definition of patchwork.

A W is a W and it has to help the confidence of both Baker and the WR's. I just try to do my best to keep everything in context.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PrplPplEater #1698555 11/25/19 11:37 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
j/c:

Schobert had a fantastic game.

I think Richardson had a good game as well.

Fun Fact: Schobert is in Top 5 for Tackles and Interceptions.
Dude is straight-up earning All-Pro this year and we CANNOT let him leave.

Richardson had himself a game!
I do find it hard to believe that those were his first two sacks on the year, though. That's just crazy, but perhaps it is speaking to the role being asked of him? Is he being asked to play the run gaps and push the pocket while pressure/sacks comes from the outside more?

I said this during the offseason-- of all the FA signings and trades, I thought the Richardson deal provided the most value.

He has a 82 score on PFF, 2 forced fumbles and three sacks. He has 37 solo tackles and ranks #1 in this category among all DI assigned players. I think he has been a nice plug on the defensive interior and we paid very little for him compared to taking on massive contracts of Vernon and Beckham.

And I totally agree with you on Schobert. He is the defensive leader and needs to be retained.

Tackles are tackles.
Swish #1698556 11/25/19 11:37 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O
I know there are rules and such, but can we just get next week's Steeler threads going now?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Schobert, playing in a completely new defense, and responsible for putting everyone where they need to be, is having an All-Pro season.

11 games
97 tackles
4 INT
2 sacks
2 forced fumbles
13 passes defensed
And, he is routinely making plays at or near the LOS, as well.

Pay da man Dorsey!

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Swish #1698563 11/25/19 12:01 PM
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
DeisleDawg #1698565 11/25/19 12:03 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DeisleDawg
Quote:
They just played the Steelers, not much film to review.

It's more about film review..It's about cleaning up penalties... executing..staying sharp and focused.

The Players need all the help and practice they can get to go into Heinz Field and win..

This two day off with Thanksgiving Thursday scares me.. It might put that mindset in that they can take time off and just walk into Heinz Field and win..

I don't like it IMO...This team already struggled do to believing in the pre season hype...This just adds to it.

Hadn't thought of the Thanksgiving reality. Good point, and that definitely makes Monday and Tuesday off a head-scratcher.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
FATE #1698569 11/25/19 12:15 PM
Legend
Legend
So, a trap game of sorts? Could be, I guess.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Not to get too hyperbolic, but those are Ray Lewis-level numbers.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

PastorMarc #1698576 11/25/19 12:31 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
Hunt needs more touches
Not if that's taking them away from Chubb. Chubb is our back, Hunt is a "rental" player, he will not be here for the long haul if you ask me.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
Hunt needs more touches
Not if that's taking them away from Chubb. Chubb is our back, Hunt is a "rental" player, he will not be here for the long haul if you ask me.

I don't know...

He keeps doing and saying all the right things, while continuing his do-it-all role on the offense, I see him soon becoming very hard to part with as this offense moves forward.

Double that if we fail to address the TE position.

-PrplPplEater
FATE #1698579 11/25/19 12:35 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Browns can eliminate the Steelers from a play off hope by beating them Sunday. And that's the message Freddie has to instill in their heads.

Get your butts in here and practice your butts off and lets get ready to beat the Steelers in their own home and tell them goodbye play-offs... That's the message Freddie should be sending...

Not taking two days off and saying to them don't do anything to hurt the team...WTH ?

This is one of the biggest anticipated games in a while..Lots of people are going to be watching. Freddie better have his team ready.

Celebrating two games off over beating a 2-6 awful team is no way to prepare the team to go into Heinz field and battle for a win. banghead

oobernoober #1698581 11/25/19 12:38 PM
S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Hunt needs more touches

I don't know...

He keeps doing and saying all the right things, while continuing his do-it-all role on the offense, I see him soon becoming very hard to part with as this offense moves forward.

All depends on what he and his agent are looking for in the offseason. he's not going to finish with great stats, but teams that have watched him have seen an unbelievable impact he's made on this offense. Running, catching, blocking. He has done it all.

He's going to have the give the Browns a discount if he wants to stay, and I can't blame a running back for going and getting the most money possible.

But man would it be nice if he did stay, and we have that lethal 1-2 punch of Chubb and Hunt.

P
Legend
Legend
P
One positive to consider is that Chubb was drafted in round 2 so it's not like we're paying a fortune for him on his rookie deal. It should leave some lettuce to be spent on the RB position.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Swish #1698593 11/25/19 01:09 PM
Legend
Legend
J/c

Congrats to Chad Thomas on a fine performance .. we need more of it!

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawgs4Life #1698594 11/25/19 01:14 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed. The injuries and suspensions will give some of our other players a chance to step up and hopefully shine. They can show what they can do.

PitDAWG #1698598 11/25/19 01:17 PM
Legend
Legend
jc

If our team continues to improve each week, it will afford both Hunt and the Browns the perspective of a win-win situation.

Hunt gets to "stay home" and be a part of something big - in CLEVELAND. The Browns still have Chubb as the obvious bargaining chip because Hunt will not be the "bell cow", and since Chubb is the best RB in the NFL, we don't really need Hunt. Besides that, Hunt won't have to work at a serious discount because the Browns still have Chubb on a rookie deal.

He's a very dynamic back. Can't blame him if he wants to go where the spotlight will shine on him a little brighter. And as far as the Browns go, just because Chubb is on his rookie deal doesn't mean we have "free money" to spend on a second RB... a lot of bills coming due over the next few years. If I were the Browns, I would be working on an extension for Garrett NOW. Discount window is only open while he's on the sideline.

FATE #1698601 11/25/19 01:40 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: FATE
Quote:

It's more about film review..It's about cleaning up penalties... executing..staying sharp and focused.

The Players need all the help and practice they can get to go into Heinz Field and win..

This two day off with Thanksgiving Thursday scares me.. It might put that mindset in that they can take time off and just walk into Heinz Field and win..

I don't like it IMO...This team already struggled do to believing in the pre season hype...This just adds to it.

Hadn't thought of the Thanksgiving reality. Good point, and that definitely makes Monday and Tuesday off a head-scratcher.

I also forgot about the Thanksgiving break. So when DO they practice this week? Just Wednesday? Do they have a full practice on Friday?

-PrplPplEater
oobernoober #1698602 11/25/19 01:46 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: FATE
Quote:

I also forgot about the Thanksgiving break. So when DO they practice this week? Just Wednesday? Do they have a full practice on Friday?

I'd assume they will practice on Thanksgiving as well. I don't know why they wouldn't. Likely, would just hold an earlier practice that day.

Milk Man #1698611 11/25/19 02:19 PM
Legend
Legend

Just listened to Baker's presser.

He has taken on full leadership of this team. I can see and hear it. Little things during games. His tone. His seriousness.

They are not all the way there but they are taking positive steps to get there.

Over the years I have learned to never take any team lightly. Never. We lost to a Bronco team we should have beaten.

The schedule you play one at a time. Steelers in their house? All that has gone before does not matter. They will be trying to beat us because their season is on the line.

The Bengals are real bad. But you make enough mistakes you can lose to anyone.

The Cardinals are no joke. They barely lost to the 49ers who are a very good team.

Yes. We did beat the Ravens. However, that game will be full out war.

So, we have to play like every game is a playoff game. Keep improving. Refine strengths. Improve weakness. Know your opposition. Plan to attack their weakness. Keep working on elimination of errors.

Next up Steelers with a path to improve our playoff chances and eliminate theirs.

Swish #1698612 11/25/19 02:24 PM
Legend
Legend
J/c

We certainly will practice on Thanksgiving this week, at least based on what I know about NFL teams.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
oobernoober #1698613 11/25/19 02:26 PM
Legend
Legend
On the surface, I agree with you.

What are they going to do with that extra day? Pitt is still fresh in their heads. Wilkes has a little extra work to do preparing for Hodges and further juggling his Oline. Extra day to heal might actually be the best idea.

Make it a light day but I think, where this team is now, they need to feel the sense of urgency.. not the sense of accomplishment.

I just think it's a contradiction... telling the team all week that our playoffs begin now, we have to win out, go 1-0 every week, blahblahblah.... but then give them a day off. Nobody gets a day off in the playoffs.

yebat' Putin
Dawgs4Life #1698618 11/25/19 02:35 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
J/c

We certainly will practice on Thanksgiving this week, at least based on what I know about NFL teams.

Yup. Thanksgiving is not a day off.

oobernoober #1698619 11/25/19 02:37 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Hunt needs more touches

I don't know...

As opposed to Chubb who has done and said all the right things his entire life, who is imo a better back anyway?

Your not going to pay two put 20+ million a year into two running backs when the time comes. Chubb deserves the top dollar amount when hes due. You have to think about that. If Kareem wants more than 5 million a year, which he will - theres no way you can keep that much locked up at RB.

DeisleDawg #1698620 11/25/19 02:40 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
The Browns can eliminate the Steelers from a play off hope by beating them Sunday. And that's the message Freddie has to instill in their heads.

Get your butts in here and practice your butts off and lets get ready to beat the Steelers in their own home and tell them goodbye play-offs... That's the message Freddie should be sending...

Not taking two days off and saying to them don't do anything to hurt the team...WTH ?

This is one of the biggest anticipated games in a while..Lots of people are going to be watching. Freddie better have his team ready.

Celebrating two games off over beating a 2-6 awful team is no way to prepare the team to go into Heinz field and battle for a win. banghead
Well, they just played 3 games in 15 days. I am sure that has something to do with the two days off.

Legend
Legend

Well, they just played 3 games in 15 days. I am sure that has something to do with the two days off.

Unless it's a bye week, you almost always play three games in 15 days. poke

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Spergon FTWynn
Hunt needs more touches

I don't know...

All depends on what he and his agent are looking for in the offseason. he's not going to finish with great stats, but teams that have watched him have seen an unbelievable impact he's made on this offense. Running, catching, blocking. He has done it all.

He's going to have the give the Browns a discount if he wants to stay, and I can't blame a running back for going and getting the most money possible.

But man would it be nice if he did stay, and we have that lethal 1-2 punch of Chubb and Hunt.
Since he missed 10 games, does this year count towards a contract year?

Legend
Legend
Yes. You only need 6 games to count as an accrued season.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
If he is on the roster for 6 games, then he accrues a season towards free agency.

This will be Hunt's 3rd accrued season. (assuming that he is not suspended for one or more of the remaining games.

Following this season, he will be a restricted free agent. (3 accrued season, but not 4)I would assume that the Browns will tender him fairly high, so that he'll be back next season.

After the 2020 season, if he accrues 4 seasons, if he is not under a contract (extension or long term deal elsewhere), he will be an UFA.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Swish #1698649 11/25/19 04:31 PM
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't know what a Stephen Carlson is but I am gonna need to see some more.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Hunt needs more touches

I don't know...

As opposed to Chubb who has done and said all the right things his entire life, who is imo a better back anyway?

Your not going to pay two put 20+ million a year into two running backs when the time comes. Chubb deserves the top dollar amount when hes due. You have to think about that. If Kareem wants more than 5 million a year, which he will - theres no way you can keep that much locked up at RB.

$5 million a year would make Hunt the 11th highest paid running back in the league (based on average annual salary). Two of the players that make more than $5M per year are on rookie contracts. Running backs get paid very little nowadays.

Luckily Chubb still has two years on a cheap contract. If he continues to perform at his current level he will deserve a top of the market deal (whether any team should ever give a running back a contract like that is a different discussion).

Swish #1698667 11/25/19 06:15 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Juston Burris has played really well so far this season. I am glad we got him back on the team.

cfrs15 #1698700 11/25/19 08:17 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Milk Man #1698703 11/25/19 08:24 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M

Milk Man #1698707 11/25/19 08:38 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
I'm disappointed OBJ didn't jump into the dawg pound. His first chance and didn't do it.

Milk Man #1698742 11/25/19 10:58 PM
Legend
Legend
That’s awesoem

Dawgs4Life #1698810 11/26/19 09:58 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

My buddy at the game was all about how much time was on the playclock when the Browns broke the huddle. His theory was spot-on in that when we'd get to the line with 10+ seconds left, we'd run much better/smarter plays.

It's been talked about on this site, but the improvement in that area Sunday was noticeable. Still a few times where we just couldn't get a play in quickly...like after a penalty even. There is a disconnect somewhere in getting the plays in quickly and that improved Sunday.

A guy on the radio (WKNR 850) Monday morning stated that the INT was on Beckham...his opinion was that there was no way Baker would miss that short of a throw that badly. Looked to me as if Baker thought that was a seven-ish yard route to sit in and OBJ thought there was more there. I read a lot where a Baker criticism is that he 'doesn't take the easy play enough'. Who knows?

PrplPplEater #1698816 11/26/19 10:11 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Yes. You only need 6 games to count as an accrued season.
so we need him to miss another game lol

WSU Willie #1698817 11/26/19 10:15 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
j/c

My buddy at the game was all about how much time was on the playclock when the Browns broke the huddle. His theory was spot-on in that when we'd get to the line with 10+ seconds left, we'd run much better/smarter plays.

I've been banging that drum since the Seattle game. In that game we were at the line with 15-20 seconds the entire 1st half. If not for a tipped-ball INT in the endzone, we would have dropped 28 on them before the gun.

By the next game, after a bye, we had Baker reading off his wristband cheat-sheet half the game and racing to get to the line.

It's gotten better and needs to continue to do so. I think Baker has done a tremendous job with pre-snap reads and changing protections this year, he just needs time to do it.

With all that said. What type of leeway does Baker have to audible out of plays? Does anyone know?

FATE #1698821 11/26/19 10:21 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
It's gotten better and needs to continue to do so. I think Baker has done a tremendous job with pre-snap reads and changing protections this year, he just needs time to do it.
I think this has been an undervalued statement.

Baker early this year, everyone said he couldn't read a defense. Problem was, he didn't HAVE TIME to read a defense, as we had to snap the ball as quickly as possible.

Last week, he was changing protections, pointing out the guys blitzing, etc. He looked good. A few times, they got to the line late, and you can tell, we were "off" and the play didn't develop, or we had to take a time out.

We need time at the line, Freddie has been getting better, but he needs to have a back up play ready to call

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 41 Dolphins 24 Post game

Link Copied to Clipboard