Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Takes me into cooler weather to get really stoked but Opening day/night in any sport is special!

Greatest sport for me. Been a special part of my life!

Legend
Legend
Go jackets!!

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Legend
Legend
R
Go Knights go!

B
Legend
Legend
B
Go Preds.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Let's go Red Wings da-da da-da-da.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
L
Legend
Legend
L
Leafs won their opener Wednesday, 5-3 over Ottawa. Austin Matthews had a couple of goals, and Toronto dominated them.

Ottawa is going to be very bad, might get the first overall pick in 2020 draft.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Go Hawks! I'm hoping for at least an 8 seed this year (man, times have changed).

Good opening night. I watched a good amount the of the Caps and Blues game, though I didn't finish it (crashed out on the couch).

Glad to see the NHL back.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Leafs won their opener Wednesday, 5-3 over Ottawa. Austin Matthews had a couple of goals, and Toronto dominated them.

Ottawa is going to be very bad, might get the first overall pick in 2020 draft.

Matthews is Mr. October! Kid has like two goals in all his openers! Leafs D is still suspect to me.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Punchsmack
Go Hawks! I'm hoping for at least an 8 seed this year (man, times have changed).

Good opening night. I watched a good amount the of the Caps and Blues game, though I didn't finish it (crashed out on the couch).

Glad to see the NHL back.

Yep! Hope you are doing well!!!

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Pens over Blue Jackets 7-2 smile

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Jackets actually showing a pulse tonight.

S
Legend
Legend
S

They'll be better this year, but the West is absolutely brutal. There are just too many really good teams. What they can hope for is St. Louis having a champions slump after winning their first cup, but even they are off to a 2-0-1 start.

It's tough, they just don't control the puck like they used to, and they are still thin on the back end if you ask me.

They are pretty much handcuffed until some of these guys come off the books. Seabrook and Keith make a ton, Keith is obviously still really good, but his contract is a big number. Crawford is great in the playoffs and has won them 2 cups, but he's unreliable in the regular season with an injury history. Toews makes a ton of money, but is really only great when everything else is set up, and he can kinda go and do his thing, which is win faceoffs, and lock down the opponent's best guys.

Patrick Kane is worth the price of admission, so he's kind of their one great piece.

It's just not a good mix, but it's the price you have to pay to make the mini-dynasty that they did.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Yep.

As a Leafs fan, I'd take 3 Cups and the inevitable backslide in a heartbeat.

gmstrong

-----------------

S
Legend
Legend
S
Yep.

As a Leafs fan, I'd take 3 Cups and the inevitable backslide in a heartbeat.

absolutely

I do feel like eventually for this team to move on, they are going to have to move pieces and cut ties with a lot of these players from those teams.

Boston was in a similar situation, with them also having really competitive teams for years, but I don't think they had as much of their cap dedicated to a couple of guys, it was definitely spread out more, and now they look like they will be in the mix for years to come, and they still have guys from those prior teams.

I don't think the cap is balanced correctly, but it is what it is, and teams will have to adjust, and I think the model is to keep your team young and fast, and don't pour a ton of your cap money into one goaltender (and that pains me to say it, but it can absolutely handcuff your team)

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I want to care about the Jackets this season, but it's going to be a crap show of a season.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist
I want to care about the Jackets this season, but it's going to be a crap show of a season.

Questionable goaltending and no real scorers. Will struggle all year probably.

Legend
Legend
Hurricanes are off to a pretty good start. I honestly have a hard time getting into hockey until it starts to get colder, then I really start to get into once football season is over.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Hurricanes are off to a pretty good start. I honestly have a hard time getting into hockey until it starts to get colder, then I really start to get into once football season is over.

Canes are clicking and Columbus gets them next. Jackets couldn't take a Ducks team that had played 3 games in 4 nights. That's brutal and yet they beat you..

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Spergon FTWynn

They'll be better this year, but the West is absolutely brutal. There are just too many really good teams. What they can hope for is St. Louis having a champions slump after winning their first cup, but even they are off to a 2-0-1 start.

It's tough, they just don't control the puck like they used to, and they are still thin on the back end if you ask me.

They are pretty much handcuffed until some of these guys come off the books. Seabrook and Keith make a ton, Keith is obviously still really good, but his contract is a big number. Crawford is great in the playoffs and has won them 2 cups, but he's unreliable in the regular season with an injury history. Toews makes a ton of money, but is really only great when everything else is set up, and he can kinda go and do his thing, which is win faceoffs, and lock down the opponent's best guys.

Patrick Kane is worth the price of admission, so he's kind of their one great piece.

It's just not a good mix, but it's the price you have to pay to make the mini-dynasty that they did.

It felt like the front office had to make a decision, blow it up to start over or keep everyone together for nostalgia sake but be average. I honk they made the wrong decision, but I might have done the same if I were them. Like, assuming Lebron and Kyrie wanted to stay, I’d keep them and TT, Swish and Kevin around forever just to bask in the 2016 glory.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer

S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: Spergon FTWynn

It felt like the front office had to make a decision, blow it up to start over or keep everyone together for nostalgia sake but be average. I honk they made the wrong decision, but I might have done the same if I were them. Like, assuming Lebron and Kyrie wanted to stay, I’d keep them and TT, Swish and Kevin around forever just to bask in the 2016 glory.

I think it all boils down to whether or not you want to deal Patrick Kane.

If you try and move any of your other pieces for picks or shorter contracts, you're stuck with Patrick Kane and nothing else, and he's on the wrong side of 30.

If you deal Patrick Kane, then you basically are putting everyone else on the table, essentially murdering your season.

I think they want to wait it out until they can clear their books and allow for more cap money. I know their top pick from the draft is still in the juniors (nothing wrong with that, but it does not help you this year).

Hopefully he develops but he is probably a wash for this year unless the Hawks feel like things are going well enough where maybe they can slide him into a line late in the year (similar to what the Avs did with Makar), but that's not likely

With the way this league is going, I agree that in hindsight they should have blown this thing up, probably after the Predators swept them a few years ago, and I think they scored only 4 or 5 goals in the entire series.

They better get it right though, like I said, the west is absolutely stacked with young talent, and great teams. There just isn't any room to just kinda hang around and hope to fall into a back-end playoff spot.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I'm not sure about this, but once you send a guy back to junior he's ineligible to play this season. It'd be different if they sent him to the minors. Like I said, I could be wrong.

Another topic: The Leafs have a lot of skill, but not nearly enough jam. Not enough grinders IMO.

gmstrong

-----------------

S
Legend
Legend
S
I'm not sure about this, but once you send a guy back to junior he's ineligible to play this season. It'd be different if they sent him to the minors. Like I said, I could be wrong.

Another topic: The Leafs have a lot of skill, but not nearly enough jam. Not enough grinders IMO.

I am not that schooled on the rules involving junior players, although I know there is a stipulation with the amount of games a kid that is junior-eligible plays.

Really though, if you send a kid back to juniors, there is absolutely no reason you bring him back up that year.

Totally agree about the Leafs too, they need a 3rd/4th line type guy or two to help give good minutes, but damn that team is fun watch, they can pile up the goals

S
Legend
Legend
S
Got a chance to watch the Blackhawks practice on Friday..

Pretty awesome, I know we have some Chicago people on this board. I highly recommend it. It's free, parking is free at Fifth Third Arena, and you can literally stand around the glass and watch.

I don't get a chance to go to too many games, and even if I do, I'm way up in the nosebleeds, so it's cool to see action that close up.

And yeah, I totally wanted to get out there with them, LOL

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
What did he say?

EDITED

"You people..."

Jeez, after his crazy career of poking the bear, THAT's what gets him fired?

Last edited by Punchsmack; 11/11/19 05:24 PM.

[Linked Image]

L
Legend
Legend
L
The Twitter mob finally got him.

gmstrong

-----------------

Legend
Legend
Dang, tough way to go out IMO

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
The Twitter mob finally got him.

What a damn shame. I think firing Don Cherry will prove much more divisive than anything he said. I can't believe Ron Mclean took the company stance on this and basically threw Grapes under the bus. I will truly miss him.

I also can't believe we'll never see this again:

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
L
Legend
Legend
L
It's like we are at the point where if someone says something controversial - perhaps one that the silent majority agrees with - that person must be destroyed.

So.... opinions silenced.the left used to be all about freedom of expression. What a wussified society we are becoming.

gmstrong

-----------------

O
Legend
Legend
O
I think the network was looking for a reason, any reason, to get the guy off the TV.

He's well past his expiration date. I couldn't stand his takes and shtick (and watch Ron during his segments, he couldn't either).

I don't like the way he went out. Would've much preferred he'd been canned for being unbearable to watch.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
S
Legend
Legend
S
cancel culture has already made itself into hockey.

I play hockey with a few guys who ref, and I found out this year that if a kid gets checked, and the other team's bench bangs their sticks on the boards, it's a penalty. Give me a break.

I knew the day would come when this stuff would infest hockey. Pretty soon you won't be allowed to celly a goal because the other team might feel bad.

I guarantee you this rule was brought about by parents who did not play themselves, but their kids wanted to play. No parent who went through hockey would ever get mad about that.

You cheer a good check. If the kid stays down, obviously the cheering and stick banging stops. That's how the game works.

But hey, let's move checking back to the bantam level so kids don't know how to accept hits anymore either..

I knew there was a reason I don't coach, and it's this kind of garbage (along with hockey parents being absolute psychos)

L
Legend
Legend
L
I love the guy, even if I don't agree with all his takes.

gmstrong

-----------------

L
Legend
Legend
L

Last edited by lampdogg; 11/12/19 09:38 PM.

gmstrong

-----------------

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
I think the network was looking for a reason, any reason, to get the guy off the TV.

He's well past his expiration date. I couldn't stand his takes and shtick (and watch Ron during his segments, he couldn't either).

I don't like the way he went out. Would've much preferred he'd been canned for being unbearable to watch.

Come on, the guy's 85 years old. Don Cherry is an institution and has carved a prominent spot for himself in the history of the sport (and Canada). I liked him more as time went on. It's pretty frickin' sad that some butt hurt liberals can take away the last years of his career. Did you actually hear what he said? Mclean agreed with him when he said it. I'm still pizzed at him. Don Cherry is the sole reason for Mclean's success, and he crapped on him.

Last edited by jfanent; 11/12/19 10:03 PM.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
O
Legend
Legend
O
I agree it's stupid the way he went out. I just wasn't a fan of the guy

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Here's an episode of Don Cherry's Grapevine with Bob Probert as the guest. I used to love this show. There's a great clip of one of Probert's fights with Ty Domi starting just before the 21m mark.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
S
Legend
Legend
S
It's gonna sound really crappy, but I am glad it happened with him and the NHL where this will be buried soon enough...

If this were an NFL personality, we would never hear the end of it. The offended crowd would be out with out with pitchforks.

I don't necessarily agree with his take on the whole poppy thing, but it's his take, and whatever, who cares. I don't understand why that take gets you fired. There's a line and I don't think he really crossed it.

Also, watching a pretty entertaining Hawks/Knights game

O
Legend
Legend
O
Again, this is mostly driven by my opinion of the guy...

I think they were looking for something... anything... to get him out. The guy was painful to watch and a joke (again, imo).

And regarding what he said... no, it wasn't that bad... but it wasn't that innocent either. It's not the 'you people' part, it's the part where he puts out that line of thinking that immigrants/illegals take up resources and don't contribute.

I'll reiterate... I disagree with the reason he was fired. I thought it would've made more sense to let him go based on him being a windbag.

-PrplPplEater
S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Again, this is mostly driven by my opinion of the guy...

I think they were looking for something... anything... to get him out. The guy was painful to watch and a joke (again, imo).

And regarding what he said... no, it wasn't that bad... but it wasn't that innocent either. It's not the 'you people' part, it's the part where he puts out that line of thinking that immigrants/illegals take up resources and don't contribute.

I'll reiterate... I disagree with the reason he was fired. I thought it would've made more sense to let him go based on him being a windbag.

I do agree that the shtick was kind of old.

If they're smart, they'll put Kevin Weekes in his spot. Guy is maybe the best analyst in the sport right now, and brings a ton of energy. Love his coverage on NHL network

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum NHL 2019-20...Lace em up boys!

Link Copied to Clipboard