Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Swish #1705992 12/13/19 02:42 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Swish

But what do you do when they just decide to run the rock? This is the issue.

This right here. This is why coaching comes into the equation when you're talking about Lamar's success. Not to take away from what he's doing, and how he's already proving the doubters wrong, but a defense can scheme all week about how they're going to shut down/limit Lamar, and then they can just turn around and run the ball up and down the field.

Honestly, this is what OUR offense was supposed to be like. That game of, "well, you can try to take away what we do best, but then we'll just burn you the other way... sucks to be you". I don't want to compare to what our gameplan is because it's just a rehash of the rants we've been having throughout this season, and I don't want to get away from the Lamar discussion.

For me, saying Lamar's success is somewhat because of where he is and who he's with is not at all meant to diminish his individual talent/development/contribution. It's just a further credit to how that offense operates.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
PitDAWG #1705994 12/13/19 02:43 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
Which good posters have been driven away?

Rishuz #1705997 12/13/19 02:47 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
It's happened over a very long period of time. Sometimes it's simply a matter of personality clashes. And whether one would consider them "good posters" or not is a matter of opinion. Them knowing their football isn't. We all lose when someone who knows the game really well leaves.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Deepsouthdawg
I have never seen more stupid comments on a thread than this one.
And I wonder why I stay away so much.
Jeeeshhh. Maybe I'm the stupid one for continuing to read this junk.
Or maybe for contributing to the stupidness. . . . .

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: oobernoober

But what do you do when they just decide to run the rock? This is the issue.

This right here. This is why coaching comes into the equation when you're talking about Lamar's success. Not to take away from what he's doing, and how he's already proving the doubters wrong, but a defense can scheme all week about how they're going to shut down/limit Lamar, and then they can just turn around and run the ball up and down the field.

Honestly, this is what OUR offense was supposed to be like. That game of, "well, you can try to take away what we do best, but then we'll just burn you the other way... sucks to be you". I don't want to compare to what our gameplan is because it's just a rehash of the rants we've been having throughout this season, and I don't want to get away from the Lamar discussion.

For me, saying Lamar's success is somewhat because of where he is and who he's with is not at all meant to diminish his individual talent/development/contribution. It's just a further credit to how that offense operates.

I think it's one of those things where there's a lot of credit to go around. Lamar is a tremendous player and a very unique one in this league. I'm not sure there's ever been a player who's been able to have the success on the ground and through the air like he has. Like Swish said, a true dual-threat.

I also think there are a lot of other good players there, and Roman, Harbaugh, and the rest of the coaching staff have done a great job building that offense to suit their players' skills. I wish that was somewhere other than Baltimore, but what can you do.

Rishuz #1706056 12/13/19 05:53 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Which good posters have been driven away?

There were good posters here? When was this? willynilly

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Every game I see I'm more convinced that Baker will be a good backup, if he can..

Lamar we still have to see.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Ugh.

M
Legend
Legend
M
That's not good.

Tackles are tackles.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: rastanplan
Every game I see I'm more convinced that Baker will be a good backup, if he can..

If we get a real coaches and we can get everyone on offense on the same page with at least a serviceable offensive line, you know kinda like last year, and if Baker is still underperforming I'll finally give you huge amounts of credit. But trolling like you are now won't help your cause.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: devicedawg

If we get a real coaches and we can get everyone on offense on the same page with at least a serviceable offensive line, you know kinda like last year, and if Baker is still underperforming I'll finally give you huge amounts of credit. But trolling like you are now won't help your cause.

Our OL is more than serviceable, its good in the running game and average in pass protection, what they can't do is throw the ball.

Baker has probably the best WR and RB's group in the league and he can't do it,its not trolling its not making excuses for poor performance.

I also don't think Baker is bad, thought he was good not elite, but with each game that he plays, I just think he's an average QB. Worst QB in the division, with Big Ben healthy.

Last edited by rastanplan; 12/16/19 11:25 AM.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
With the system we were running last year Baker was darn good. If we were running a system that fit him I'm sure he could do it again. He has a good enough skill set with a proper supporting cast to win in this league. JMO

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
The problem is if he regressed from last year, you have to figure out why. And how to fix it.

There's no doubt in my mind that if we flip flop Lamar and Baker that we'd still be 6-8 or worse while Baltimore would have the best record in the league.

Coaching matters. While I have hope Kitchens can be better my patience is wearing thin.

While some of us are considering a new head coach, we have to wonder where exactly is the problem?

P
Legend
Legend
P

Accuracy matters too. Did you miss how many int's he's thrown from a clean pocket?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1707561 12/16/19 01:25 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

Accuracy matters too. Did you miss how many int's he's thrown from a clean pocket?

Are you aware of how many INTs have bounced off of his receivers' hands, chest or helmet? It is a ridiculous number. I recollect that being 8 of 12 at one point.

Did you miss the INT that Njoku got completely punked on last week? That was after the 8 of 12.

Did you see the route Landry ran yesterday to the sideline where he never cut hard to the sideline and the ball was nearly picked off...yet thrown exactly to where Landry was supposed to be? If that would have been picked, not many would have noticed that.

This entire team - other than K & P - has woefully under performed.

PitDAWG #1707567 12/16/19 01:32 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Most of his interceptions aren't due to inaccuracy.

P
Legend
Legend
P
What I haven't missed is his overall lack of accuracy that I keep seeing excuses made for.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1707621 12/16/19 02:41 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
I can't help but rolleyes when I read these gripes about Baker, who is at the very minimum a viable young QB. I think two years in and many either miss this or forget this:

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
P
Legend
Legend
P
My point isn't to dismiss or give up on Baker. He has shown he has talent that could be molded into something special given time and the right coaching. There's no way of saying that will happen but that potential exists.

My point is it's about time people are honest as to where he is right now.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1707647 12/16/19 03:14 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
He hasn't been very good, but I'm still hopeful because he's improved as the season has gone on. Part of that is adapting our offense, somewhat, but it's also him. He still has A LOT of work to do this off-season. He can't come into next season with a similar regression.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
L
Legend
Legend
L
just going to leave this tidbit.

First 27 career games...

Jameis Winston: 44 TDs, 26 INTs
Baker Mayfield: 42 TD, 30 INTs

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
just going to leave this tidbit.

First 27 career games...

Jameis Winston: 44 TDs, 26 INTs
Baker Mayfield: 42 TD, 30 INTs

INTs are not a good measure when you have WRs letting balls bounce off their hands or coaching putting you in situations where you must pass 40-50 times per game.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
L
Legend
Legend
L
they are when its your QB throwing behind them, over them, 100mph on 5 yard drag routes

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
O
Legend
Legend
O
2/2 INTs from the Cinci game were 100% on the receivers. Mayfield has been inaccurate, but damn I'm scratching my head with some of these catch attempts.

-PrplPplEater
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
The thing for the Browns to do is pretty much pursue Teddy Bridgewater as much as possible and IF the keyword is IF we can get Bridgewater to sign, we trade Mayfield and move on because he isn't very good.

If we can't get Bridgewater, than we are probably stuck with Might Mouse for another year...it is what it is...

If i could get Bridgewater, i'd move Mayfield faster than he can line up another commercial with progressive.

PitDAWG #1707711 12/16/19 06:18 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:
My point is it's about time people are honest as to where he is right now.

Couldn't agree more. Coming here, reading nonsense like we need to go all in for Bridgewater or we need to go after Tom Brady and we need to move on from Baker is just asinine. He's our quarterback now and for the future.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Baker hasn't just been bad. He's very, very bad. I'm reading there are rumblings inside the building in Berea, non-players, that are concerned. This is more than coaching.

Does he have the aptitude and the desire to improve? I just wrote in another post that he's been emasculated this year. Probably the first time in his life. Can he come back from that after being the alpha male his entire life?

He seems shell shocked. He's playing worse than every other QB in the league.

We will go into the off season with a huge question mark at QB.

Legend
Legend
jc

well, atleast baker doesnt lead the league in picks anymore. he's just 3rd in the nfl now, below Winston and Rivers

atleast winston has 30 TD's.

damn, daniel freaking jones has 1 more TD pass over mayfield.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Rishuz #1707750 12/16/19 09:15 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'm sorry. Baker has been a terrific quarterback and awesome competitor his entire life. There's no way you can convince me this season is his benchmark and that he's lost his aptitude and desire to be the greatest.

I'm really not sure where this line of thinking comes from.

Legend
Legend
Plenty of quarterbacks - hell, any position- Have been winners all their lives until they get into the nfl.

The line of thinking comes from the fact that our #1 overall pick hasn’t played like one. He’s gonna get his entire rookie contract to show us he’s worthy of being a franchise, but right now, it ain’t looking too good.

Now people will make all the excuses in the world, from coaching, to the o line, to the schedule and all of those things.

But at some point, our #1 overall has to perform. At some point, the guy has to show to elevate his teammates around him. And with a stacked roster full of playmakers on offense, we haven’t seen that. He’s flashed that ability maybe twice this season, but one can make a solid argument that maybe it was less of a flash and more of a fluke.

Last year, baker was playing with house money. This year, he is playing with expectations. And he year after that? Expectations. And after that? And after that? Same thing.

And the one thing I haven’t seen much of anybody address: if everything has to be perfect around baker for him to succeed, then that means our #1 overall pick is a glorified case Keenum.

Because Freddie, with all of his faults, isn’t the reason why baker keeps throwing behind his receivers Freddie isn’t the reason why baker keeps throwing high and wide. Freddie isn’t the reason baker keeps bailing out of pockets, and rolling to his right throwing fade away passes like he’s james harden.

Is it Freddie’s fault for allowing bakers mechanics to be trash this entire season? Maybe, but that’s ALSO on baker for allowing HIMSELF to get sloppy on mechanics. At some point, a franchise QB has got to show the ability to put his team on his back and go get a victory, despite poor performances from his teammates.

If everything has to Be perfect for our #1 overall pick to go out there and win a game, especially against piss poor teams.......I’m not liking the future all that much. When you draft a guy that high, he’s suppose to be borderline transcendent, at the very minimum elite.

And there’s nothing elite right now about baker other than his mouth. Not his mechanics, his W-L record, his arm, his athleticism. I mean we drafted a guy barely 6 foot with no elite athletic abilities. I’ve been on record before saying baker is gonna win us titles, but from what I’ve seen so far....meh.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
L
Legend
Legend
L
whens the last time Baker has even been in the vicinity of a receiver down the field deep. He just doesn't have the deep ball any more and he's seeing alot more zone this year

Legend
Legend
I'm sorry. Baker has been a terrific quarterback and awesome competitor his entire life. There's no way you can convince me this season is his benchmark and that he's lost his aptitude and desire to be the greatest.

I'm really not sure where this line of thinking comes from.

People just want to knee-jerk and overreact. There's no patience at all.

#microwavesociety #verucasalt

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Swish #1707783 12/16/19 11:53 PM
Legend
Legend
Plenty of quarterbacks - hell, any position- Have been winners all their lives until they get into the nfl.

The line of thinking comes from the fact that our #1 overall pick hasn’t played like one. He’s gonna get his entire rookie contract to show us he’s worthy of being a franchise, but right now, it ain’t looking too good.

Now people will make all the excuses in the world, from coaching, to the o line, to the schedule and all of those things.

But at some point, our #1 overall has to perform. At some point, the guy has to show to elevate his teammates around him. And with a stacked roster full of playmakers on offense, we haven’t seen that. He’s flashed that ability maybe twice this season, but one can make a solid argument that maybe it was less of a flash and more of a fluke.

Last year, baker was playing with house money. This year, he is playing with expectations. And he year after that? Expectations. And after that? And after that? Same thing.

And the one thing I haven’t seen much of anybody address: if everything has to be perfect around baker for him to succeed, then that means our #1 overall pick is a glorified case Keenum.

Because Freddie, with all of his faults, isn’t the reason why baker keeps throwing behind his receivers Freddie isn’t the reason why baker keeps throwing high and wide. Freddie isn’t the reason baker keeps bailing out of pockets, and rolling to his right throwing fade away passes like he’s james harden.

Is it Freddie’s fault for allowing bakers mechanics to be trash this entire season? Maybe, but that’s ALSO on baker for allowing HIMSELF to get sloppy on mechanics. At some point, a franchise QB has got to show the ability to put his team on his back and go get a victory, despite poor performances from his teammates.

If everything has to Be perfect for our #1 overall pick to go out there and win a game, especially against piss poor teams.......I’m not liking the future all that much. When you draft a guy that high, he’s suppose to be borderline transcendent, at the very minimum elite.

And there’s nothing elite right now about baker other than his mouth. Not his mechanics, his W-L record, his arm, his athleticism. I mean we drafted a guy barely 6 foot with no elite athletic abilities. I’ve been on record before saying baker is gonna win us titles, but from what I’ve seen so far....meh.

/endthread

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Swish #1707785 12/16/19 11:55 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Colin Cowherd agrees with you!! smile

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 12/16/19 11:55 PM.
Legend
Legend
Man he had it out for baker day 1.

I know we got the hype this season from the national media, but more often than not, they tend to be correct about the browns.

Not having a winning record for an entire decade proves that.

- Theodore Roosevelt
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'll just leave this here.

First 28 starts:

Drew Brees: 10-17, 59.4%, 5613 yds, 29 TDs, 31 INTs, 73.7 passer rating

Baker Mayfield: 12-15, 62.0%, 7081 yds, 44 TDs, 31 INTs, 86.3 passer rating

And mind you Brees regressed his second season after going 8-8 his first season as starter. And Brees even sat a year.

Now /endthread

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R

First 28 starts:

And mind you Brees regressed his second season after going 8-8 his first season as starter. And Brees even sat a year.

Now /endthread

Baker does not have Bree's arm, nor him mental speed. The only thing they have in common is that they are both short

Legend
Legend

First 28 starts:

Now /endthread

Baker does not have Bree's arm, nor him mental speed. The only thing they have in common is that they are both short

and getting paid millions more than you.

#GMSTRONG
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
What? You realize the comparison is 24 yr old Brees to 24 yr old Mayfield?

You would be wrong on both accounts.

Tulsa #1707825 12/17/19 09:47 AM
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

First 28 starts:

Now /endthread

and getting paid millions more than you.

Its true, and I have no problems with it.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Baker or Lamar

Link Copied to Clipboard