Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
Ballpeen #1717941 01/07/20 01:28 PM
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
At this very moment why haven't we signed McDaniels? Why even interview these other candidates. This is a waste of time, let's get this thing done today. Don't understand what's going on really.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
cfrs15 #1717942 01/07/20 01:29 PM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: mac
The best coaching talent (position coaches and coordinators) will quickly get snatched up.

Most coaches go into the interview with their staff already mostly in place.

cf...with Joe Judge being named as the Giants HC, he could have some interest in other Patriots coaches...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Swish #1717944 01/07/20 01:31 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish
Aye who the hell is joe judge? Is that the guy who coached one of the worst recieving group in the nfl this season?

The Daniel Jones of the Coaching options?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: tastybrownies
At this very moment why haven't we signed McDaniels? Why even interview these other candidates. This is a waste of time, let's get this thing done today. Don't understand what's going on really.

Due diligence. Someone could wow Haslem.

#GMSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M

Because I'd rather have at least 3 other names on the list of candidates than McDaniels.

Just say NO to McDaniels!

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
Legend
Legend
M

I'm guessing McDaniels is a Jimmy "want" and DePo wants to interview everyone to make the most informed decision.

DePo probably still has Stefanski rated near, or at, the top of his list like last year, but might recommend someone better if the interviews head in that direction.

And who knows how serious Stefanski is about this job too. We brought him in twice to interview last year and said no. There could still be a bad taste in his mouth and who knows what he thought about Haslem and DePo. I guess if he thought that badly of the two he would have declined, but no one can tell where he could be in the love/hate scale re: this job opening.

JMO.

Tackles are tackles.
mac #1717951 01/07/20 01:35 PM
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
The best coaching talent (position coaches and coordinators) will quickly get snatched up.

Most coaches go into the interview with their staff already mostly in place.

cf...with Joe Judge being named as the Giants HC, he could have some interest in other Patriots coaches...

The Patriots aren't letting any of their assistants leave. In the HBO documentary Belichick & Saban: The Art of Coaching Belichick and Saban talk about assistants who leave wanting to take other coaches with them. They say that they don't allow their coaches to be taken because the coach that is leaving is now a competitor.

Josh McDaniels and Joe Judge most likely won't be hiring any current Patriots assistants, their hires will come from around the league.

mgh888 #1717952 01/07/20 01:35 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Well then its instantly Jim Schwartz. the standards set here he's the sole survivor. Must have prior experience as an NFL HC. Thats him.

Last edited by 1oldMutt; 01/07/20 01:36 PM.
cfrs15 #1717953 01/07/20 01:36 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
Josh McDaniels and Joe Judge most likely won't be hiring any current Patriots assistants, their hires will come from around the
league.

I wonder if that relates to personnel staff too?

Tackles are tackles.
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
This is completely unacceptable. As an organization don't we know who we want? And if not why? What is going on in Berea. This is madness. Who are they going to interview next? Charlie brown?

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Quote:
Josh McDaniels and Joe Judge most likely won't be hiring any current Patriots assistants, their hires will come from around the
league.

I wonder if that relates to personnel staff too?

It's totally different if they're out of contract but I'd assume he wouldn't let them leave either. Also, if they are being hired as a GM from a non-GM position the hire can't be blocked.

Nick Caserio's contract expires soon:

https://www.si.com/nfl/patriots/news/caserio-contract-talks-have-gone-nowhere

Dave Ziegler's contract runs through 2020, but he isn't the Patriots GM:

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-england-pa...ives-133209760/

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
This is completely unacceptable. As an organization don't we know who we want? And if not why? What is going on in Berea. This is madness. Who are they going to interview next? Charlie brown?

So you don't want them to interview all the people they want to interview? Are you the guy in the fantasy draft that drafts a kicker and a defense early just because the autopick team also picked a kicker and a defense early?

Hiring a coach just because other teams also hired a coach seems like it would lead to a bad decision.

1oldMutt #1717966 01/07/20 01:45 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt
Well then its instantly Jim Schwartz. the standards set here he's the sole survivor. Must have prior experience as an NFL HC. Thats him.

Haslam said prior experience coaching in the NFL. Not prior HC experience in the NFL as a prerequisite.

cfrs15 #1717967 01/07/20 01:46 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
if they are being hired as a GM from a non-GM position the hire can't be blocked.

Good point.

But can't the same be true for an assistant coach interviewing for a promotion? Not sure who the position coaches, but can the org. simply say "no" even if it was? If so, it seems inconsistent.

Tackles are tackles.
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Quote:
if they are being hired as a GM from a non-GM position the hire can't be blocked.

Good point.

But can't the same be true for an assistant coach interviewing for a promotion? Not sure who the position coaches, but can the org. simply say "no" even if it was? If so, it seems inconsistent.

Quote:
I see this brought up time to time so I thought I make a post to clear up confusion regarding hiring assistant coaches and the way NFL teams can hire coaches from other teams.

Per NFL Rules

LATERAL OPPORTUNITIES

Assistant coach to Non Head Coach opportunities

Note: “promotions” to coordinator level are NOT promotions under this policy; a coach is either an Assistant Coach or a Head Coach, period.

Teams retain exclusive rights to an Assistant Coach who just completed the final season under contract until:

The Tuesday following 15 days after the final Monday Night Football game of the regular season, if the Assistant Coaches team is not in the playoffs

The 3rd Tuesday after the Assistant Coaches final playoff game (including Super Bowl), but in no event later than the expiration date in the coaches contract.

This 3 week exclusivity period CAN be waived by the coach’s team.

Coaches Not Under Written Contract:

If an Assistant Coach is working without a contract in effect (i.e., hasn’t yet signed his deal, his old deal lapsed, no new deal reached, but he’s still working for the club), permission MUST be granted even if coach continues to be paid on a non contract basis, and even if it is after March 1st.

Any Assistant Coach not under contract by the time preseason training camp begins is not permitted to participate until his written contract is signed and approved by the League office.

So assistant coaches in the NFL cannot leave their team unless granted permission or following the expiration of their contracts unless they are hiring for HEAD COACHING POSITIONS

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/41...ntent=post_body

cfrs15 #1717971 01/07/20 01:49 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M

So you don't want them to interview all the people they want to interview? Are you the guy in the fantasy draft that drafts a kicker and a defense early just because the autopick team also picked a kicker and a defense early?

Hiring a coach just because other teams also hired a coach seems like it would lead to a bad decision.

Yep. Don't panic hire. Be thorough and trust the process.

Haslam admitted deviating from the process in the past during his last press conference.

cfrs15 #1717972 01/07/20 01:50 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
Note: “promotions” to coordinator level are NOT promotions under this policy; a coach is either an Assistant Coach or a Head Coach, period

Thanks!

Tackles are tackles.
mac #1717974 01/07/20 01:50 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
While the rest of the teams have already named their HC, the Browns continue their ENDLESS interview process.

You do realize that out of all of the new hires, we only interviewed one of them?

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
cfrs15 #1717975 01/07/20 01:51 PM
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

Tulsa #1718003 01/07/20 02:18 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

Some people don't understand that. The last thing I want to see is us rush a decision.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Is McDaniels going to call the Browns to move up the interview, or nah?

He's free to do so....we'll see. I'm not a fan.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
cfrs15 #1718041 01/07/20 03:26 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
At this point I would love to have Jim Caldwell as our new HC ... JMO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
cfrs15 #1718048 01/07/20 03:33 PM
F
Legend
Legend
F
The one issue I see with continue through an extended process is that while we are talking to candidates, the other new HC are signing their position coaches and coordinators.

So there are some downsides to taking our time.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: FloridaFan
The one issue I see with continue through an extended process is that while we are talking to candidates, the other new HC are signing their position coaches and coordinators.

So there are some downsides to taking our time.

Most coaches have their staff lined up. My guess is that we won't be missing out on many, if any, coaches.

Rishuz #1718101 01/07/20 05:26 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
I don't think it can be understated that Rhule declined to interview with the Browns.

Of course, he refused. Anyone with half a brain would refuse to come to the place where careers die. The factory of sadness is not a welcoming franchise. Doesn't matter if you do a good job, Haslam will fire you on a whim. As long as he owns this team it will be difficult to get any big-name coaches or GMs to come here.

No matter who we hire as HC I will have my doubts. Why? Because he was stupid enough to take a job here. That makes his decision making suspect.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Tulsa #1718107 01/07/20 05:30 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Well if he wows Haslem we should RUN away from that guy ASAP! Haslam wanting a guy seems like the kiss of death.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77
I don't think it can be understated that Rhule declined to interview with the Browns.

Of course, he refused. Anyone with half a brain would refuse to come to the place where careers die. The factory of sadness is not a welcoming franchise. Doesn't matter if you do a good job, Haslam will fire you on a whim. As long as he owns this team it will be difficult to get any big-name coaches or GMs to come here.

No matter who we hire as HC I will have my doubts. Why? Because he was stupid enough to take a job here. That makes his decision making suspect.

And yet, here you post. Why are still a fan of the team if you despise them so?

Hamfist #1718111 01/07/20 05:34 PM
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Hamfist

And yet, here you post. Why are still a fan of the team if you despise them so?

The best part is that he's always had this tone even before we knew Haslam was incompetent.

Legend
Legend

Well if he wows Haslem we should RUN away from that guy ASAP! Haslam wanting a guy seems like the kiss of death.

Growing up, my older brother always told me I spell like a Siberian goat.

#GMSTRONG
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Coaching news

Link Copied to Clipboard