Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
This makes it even more realistic that last year was essentially wasted.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Wow... HOpefully he is the leader of men we are looking for.

Now we wait to see who our coordinators are.

Guess Depo 'won' this time and got his guy.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Let’s hope Kubiak comes too

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Welp

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Can we verify this?

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: dawg66
Can we verify this?
https://mobile.twitter.com/RuiterWrongFAN/status/1216406718206398464

Legend
Legend
The Browns have an Ivy League feel:
Paul DePodesta- Harvard
Kevin Stefanski- Penn
Andrew Berry (potentially)- Harvard

https://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks/status/1216407345430810624

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I see Rapoport saying it but I don't see it anywhere else.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: dawg66
I see Rapoport saying it but I don't see it anywhere else.

Planning to and doing are two different things.

Legend
Legend
I like Stefanski. We talked earlier this year about how often he reads big-picture analytics pieces and studies online. A lot of coaches, even young ones, don't seek out much info in the outside world. He does.

https://twitter.com/bykevinclark/status/1216406771230638082

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#GMSTRONG
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Kevin Stefanski hired as the Cleveland Browns 18th full-time head coach
Today 12:08 PM
Kevin Stefanski, Minnesota Vikings offensive coordinator
shares
By Mary Kay Cabot, cleveland.com
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Paul DePodesta had to wait a year, but he got his man in Kevin Stefanski, the Vikings offensive coordinator.

The Browns on Sunday hired Stefanski, 37, as their 18th full-time head coach and their 10th in the new era. He’s the fifth one hired by the Browns since the Haslams took over in 2012.

But they’re hoping this one sticks. DePodesta, the Browns’ Chiefs Strategy Officer who ran the search this year, favored Stefanski last year, but was overruled by former GM John Dorsey, who opted for Freddie Kitchens at the last minute.

With the DePodesta driving the bus, he didn’t let Stefanski, get away this time. Even though Stefanski’s offense flopped in his head-to-head matchup with 49ers defensive coordinator Robert Saleh, another Browns’ finalist, in the NFC Divisional Round loss on Saturday, it didn’t deter the Browns.

The Browns will also try to bring former Vice President of Player Personnel Andrew Berry back into the fold to achieve that elusive organizational alignment Jimmy Haslam is seeking.

The Browns have requested permission from the Eagles to interview Berry, their current VP of Football Operations, as Browns GM. Berry would pair well with Stefanski, whom he got to know during the Browns’ head coach search last year.

Berry and DePodesta favored Stefanski, but Dorsey opted for Kitchens, and it cost both of them their jobs after the 6-10 season. The analytics-heavy trio would give the Browns an All-Ivy lineup, with two Harvard grads in DePodesta and Berry, and a Penn alum in Stefanski.

Stefanski “blew away’’ everyone on the search committee last season and only bolstered his resume this year running the offense full-time with the help of Super Bowl winning coach Gary Kubiak, who was hired as Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Advisor to mentor Stefanski.

In his 14th season as a Vikings assistant — their longest-tenured coach — and first as their full-time offensive coordinator, Stefanski helped guide Minnesota to a 10-6 record and an upset of the Saints in the Wildcard round.

The Vikings finished 16th overall on offense this season, but sixth in rushing and eighth in points scored. Kirk Cousins finished fourth in the NFL with a 107.4 rating and fourth with a 69.1 completion percentage.

Stefanski also earned high praise from Kubiak, who could be a candidate to run the Browns’ offense if Stefanski get the job.

“Kevin’s got a brilliant future,” Kubiak told Vikings reporters in November. “The key to getting in position to [be a head coach] is calling games, calling defenses, calling offenses, making decisions, handling a meeting room of a bunch of players, being able to get the most out of not only players, but coaches as well. Kevin’s been exceptional and this is a great opportunity for him this year to do it on a full-time basis. He’s doing a great job with it.”

Stefanski, 37, is a favorite of the analytics teams in part because of he’s smart enough to handle the Browns’ increased emphasize on data-driven coaching and personnel. A graduate of Penn, where he played defensive back, Stefanski is an Ivy-Leaguer like Harvard-educated DePodesta and some of the other Browns’ decision-makers. He’s also the son of longtime NBA executive Ed Stefanski, now with the Pistons.

Having grown up in professional sports, team-building is in his DNA. He possesses a CEO mindset, and has survived many Vikings regimes and some challenging coaching staffs. As an Eagles intern while in college, Stefanski caught the attention of then Eagles QB coach Brad Childress.

“He impressed me with the way he carried himself during training camp,’’ Childress, now a senior offensive assistant for the Bears, told the Minneapolis Star Tribune’s Sid Hartman in August. “I made that mental note that if I was to get a job, [and] he was graduating and that I would tap him to come and be my personal assistant because he was a captain at Penn.

“He’s a sharp guy, obviously. His dad and he have been involved in athletics his whole life. I thought you couldn’t find a better guy who is not going to be starry-eyed around athletes.”

Childress did just that in 2006 when he was hired as head coach of the Vikings, and by 2009, he trusted a 27-year-old Stefanski enough to promote him to assistant quarterbacks coach, where he worked with Hall of Famer Brett Favre.

“You better be sharp in that room because those guys have most of the answers all the time and when they have questions, you need to be able to have answers for them,’’ Childress said. The Vikings went 12-4 that year and lost in the NFC Championship Game to the Saints. But they ranked No. 2 with 29.4 points per game and finished No. 5 overall on offense.

Stefanski coached tight ends and running backs before moving up to quarterbacks in 2017-18, acquiring a global knowledge of the offense that’s attractive to the Browns. In 2017, the Vikings went 13-3, won the NFC North ad lost in the NFC title game to the eventual Super Bowl champion Eagles. The Vikings blocked him from going to the Giants as Pat Shurmur’s coordinator, and then he was passed over as Vikings coordinator in 2018 in favor of John DeFilippo, who was actually hired by GM Rick Spielman. But Stefanski never complained and instead coached Kirk Cousins to season-bests in completion percentage (70.1%) and passing TDs (30). He also threw his fewest INTs (10) since becoming a full-time starter in 2015.

When DeFilippo was fired with three games left in the 2018 season, Stefanski was promoted to interim OC, and then to full-time OC this year when the Browns opted for Kitchens. The fact that Stefanski, along with Kubiak and Kubiak’s son Klint, the quarterbacks coach, guided Cousins to the best season of his career this season hasn’t Stefanski’s cause.

“He’s been around sports all the time. He’s very smart. He’s an Ivy League guy, very hard worker,” Zimmer told reporters last month. “Then as his time has grown, I’ve given him different responsibilities, whether it would be the running backs or tight ends or quarterbacks, now offensive coordinator. I think he sees the game kind of how I see it. Then he’s done a nice job of mixing the calls in.”

Stefanski will be tasked with getting Baker Mayfield back on track after he tumbled to second-last in the NFL with a 78.8 rating and a 59.4 completion percentage. But he takes over an uber-talented roster featuring Odell Beckham Jr., Jarvis Landry, Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt. Defensively, he has Myles Garrett coming off suspension, Denzel Ward, Greedy Williams and other young and promising players.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/01...head-coach.html

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
It’s on NFLN and ESPN

T
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
T
sashi too, brains over brawn i guess...doesn't exactly have an afc north feel

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
everything I see is just Quoting Rapoport.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

There is gonna be a lot of chapped asses today.

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
See you guys in two years for the next head coach search. LOL

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
This makes it even more realistic that last year was essentially wasted.

I was right but in the wrong way.

No Craps Given
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Another OC to HC for for the Browns. Bated breath here.

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c
Good luck Stefanski - rooting for you 100%.

Don't like the hire one little bit. Probably would have taken McDaniels over this guy and would definitely have prefered McCarthy, Rivera, Schwartz, Rhule and Saleh (in that order)

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Is he bringing his training wheels with him?

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: The Beast
See you guys in two years for the next head coach search. LOL

Wouldn't count on it. I think he gets the time. Itd certainly be the first time we've gone that route but I think he gets it. Experience is a question mark but I wanted youth to hopefully be able to go long, long term. Would love a 15-20 year Knoll, Shula type guy.

Time will tell....get on it Kevin!

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Analytics says coaches with 9 letters in their last name are successful.
Analytics could not compute what an OC who had to have help during his tenure would do as a HC.Because no one has ever been stupid enough to hire one.
Until now.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
M
Legend
Legend
M

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Just being honest, I am kind of weary of this guys limited experience (it sounds eerily a lot like Freddie imo...obviously minus the analytics side of things.) I just dont have a lot of faith in this FO anymore...I am hoping I'm completely wrong, as like everyone...I want to see a winning franchise.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Welp, time to get drunk

Legend
Legend
All you local folks, do season ticket sales go up, or down?

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
What is concerning is that the world is making fun of us again. (already)

Minnesota fans are literally thanking us on Twitter.

I wonder if SF or NE fans would be thanking us if we took one of their coaches?

Time will tell his Stefanski will be a similar Corey Coleman data-driven choice or not. Fingers crossed that he is not. I'm so sick of rebuilding and watching a team make all of the wrong choices.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
All you local folks, do season ticket sales go up, or down?

I'm gonna say there's a "show me" mentality.

I do believe there are people who no matter who was the hire their posts would be pretty much the same.

It's the next hires that really, really interest me...

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
I'm ready for the Homers to proclaim this is the guy they wanted and how things are different now.
Woof woof Super Bowl
And how they are gonna praise Sashi for the foundation he created

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Yes, it does.

Tackles are tackles.
K
Rookie
Rookie
K
No worries, next year at this time we can do it all over again. Fun fun fun!!

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
but intelligence is overrated.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
What is concerning is that the world is making fun of us again. (already)

Minnesota fans are literally thanking us on Twitter.

I wonder if SF or NE fans would be thanking us if we took one of their coaches?

Time will tell his Stefanski will be a similar Corey Coleman data-driven choice or not. Fingers crossed that he is not. I'm so sick of rebuilding and watching a team make all of the wrong choices.

We're making fun of us again, already. Can't fault the sane fans for seeing it the same way.

#GMSTRONG
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
So my hope now is that we hire a good OC who calls plays. I don't want another first time HC trying to be the play caller etc. That does not seem to work out well for the Browns. I think Hue, an experience HC, tried doing both and it was a catastrophe at times with bad clock management etc.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It hilarious how some think this came flying in out of left field!

Let's see, last years favorite won out this year. He must have STILL blown them away.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I doubt it will change much either way.This guy is not a "name" that is going to excite people.
I can only hope he does well,but I have my reservations.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Hire Kevin Stefanski

Link Copied to Clipboard