Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
The Wilkes that coordinated the D that held the Rams in check and contributed to the drubbing we put on the Ravens can stay.

The Wilkes that somehow schemed up a D that made a QB who'd never thrown an NFL pass look like an Pro Bowler needs to never work for an NFL team again.

So, which way do you lean when you know it’s a package deal? You get both or nothing.

If it was up to me, I'd take my chances with someone else. My first interview request would be Wade Phillips.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Phillips would be great

<><

#gmstrong
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
They mentioned Singletary for Linebackers coach...I am all for that...but wondering why no one is thinking his name for DC? I mean he had a pretty decent D in San Fran before they gave him the head man's shoes...

Glad someone found that article...had a lot of intriguing names...Bill Musgrave...I know the name but not why....Joe Woods...very interesting...would love Hank Fraley but he already has a job. A lot of the names tho we would be unable to get....

I am not sure about Wilkes either. I just was not overly impressed when we were healthy...and as what was brought up before....in games like Denver...We NEVER dominated or threatened to dominate. The defense was at best....inconsistent.

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Wilkes defense was very bad at the single most fundamental and important thing a defense needs to be good at: tackling.

If there’s one thing watching the Titans (who should be our blue-print) has re-informed me of is the utterly critical importance of fundamental football. Tackling and blocking. Tackling and blocking. Tackling and blocking. I hope nothing more than whoever we hire for OC and DC underlined with thick red ink the need to block and tackle very well, no excuses. Get the personnel and the coaching that drives that all the way home with the personnel.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If they get Kubiak I am all in on Stefanksi. If they don't.....tbd

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Please no to Shurmer. if that happens, you can book the trade requests from Odell and Jarvis.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Rest easy, the Broncos hiring him as their O Coordinator.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: BpG

Klint might be the Kubiak we get (unless Vikes name him OC)...

Some comments from Thielen as well...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Fine with Kubiak the younger. He'd have a good sounding board in his father too. Vikes will promote him.

No to Our current D coordinator staying.

Legend
Legend
Wilks and his defense should not be allowed to even pack their own gear as we send them out of town..... BUT, I get keeping him around at the outset like this. Actually, I applaud it.... you brought in a new coach and kept around guys that are under contract in case the new HC wanted them. As unlikely as it is to happen, it's a smart move. No sense in ever throwing out the baby with the bath water.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Smart move and the Haslam regime in the same paragraph....willickers...

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

Something we all should keep in mind......

The candidates for OC and DC will have to be willing to accept certain parameters. They will have to risk working with a first time HC that was the last one hired in the process of five hires. A HC, that as far as I know, no other team even interviewed for the HC position.

Then there's the Haslams. Since purchasing the team in 2012, these people will be taking a job under Haslams sixth HC hire in that short time frame. If you're looking for a franchise who will give a coaching crew a chance to improve over time, this isn't the place for you.

You so have the dysfunction, total lack of commitment from ownership to several coaching staffs to consider and a first time HC with a single season of experience as an OC to work for.

I know I would be chomping at the bit to come here! Point being, if any of our candidates have other options, one would have to believe they would take them, all things considered. And if they accept the job here, it's most likely because nobody wishes to elevate them to such a role anywhere else.

Fun times ahead!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Wilks and his defense should not be allowed to even pack their own gear as we send them out of town..... BUT, I get keeping him around at the outset like this. Actually, I applaud it.... you brought in a new coach and kept around guys that are under contract in case the new HC wanted them. As unlikely as it is to happen, it's a smart move. No sense in ever throwing out the baby with the bath water.

Unless it's an ugly baby.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:
They will have to risk working with a first time HC that was the last one hired in the process of five hires. A HC, that as far as I know, no other team even interviewed for the HC position.

eh, the same would be true no matter which of our finalists were hired. It's really not that big a deal.

It's a thing, sure, but it's not so dramatic as your writing tries to paint it.

Bottom line: just as there are only 32 Head Coach jobs in the world, there are only 64 Coordinator positions in the world.... and pretty much only the couple of vacancies. So, anyone that wants to be a coordinator in the NFL and add that next line item to their resume will be more than happy to come here.

Browns is the Browns

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Originally Posted By: BpG

Klint might be the Kubiak we get (unless Vikes name him OC)...

Some comments from Thielen as well...

I'm sure Kitchens could (and did) grind as well. Woopdyhell

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Salt on his french fries doesn't count...

M
Legend
Legend
M
I'm sure Kitchens could (and did) grind as well. Woopdyhell

I have serious doubts about that.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I like that Kubiak has worked with Baker, but what I really want to know is if he can put an offense together that can maximize the talent we have on the roster. We're oozing talent, and with a somewhat successful draft, we should be able to do much more with this offense (and D, for that matter).

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O
I don't. Nobody doubted Kitchens effort and heart and all that. He was simply incompetent.

Effort is great and all, but....

That's my point.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M
Kitchens wasn't even aware of how to gameplan against his opponents weaknesses. He was busy wearing Pittsburgh started it T-shirts.

It's a moot point, however, he's gone.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I like that Kubiak has worked with Baker, but what I really want to know is if he can put an offense together that can maximize the talent we have on the roster. We're oozing talent, and with a somewhat successful draft, we should be able to do much more with this offense (and D, for that matter).

It will be Stefanski's offense and he will hire someone that will run his offense which will be in the mold of Kubiak/Shanahan.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Okay, great - he grinds. We hired Eric Wedge.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Milk Man

It will be Stefanski's offense and he will hire someone that will run his offense which will be in the mold of Kubiak/Shanahan.

From the article I posted in the "Offensive Scheme" thread:

Quote:
Stefanski remembers a moment following the 2009 season, when some of the Vikings staffers were studying cut-ups of the Texans’ roll outs and QB keepers designed by Kubiak. “I was just so impressed at how often the quarterback got the edge and the defense just sold out for the run,” Stefanski says. “I can remember watching those and wondering, ‘What is the secret to this thing?’” Watching Kubiak’s scheme bewilder defenders, a light went on in Stefanski’s mind: This is it. “As a young coach, I looked at that offense and thought, ‘That’s what I want it to be whenever I get my chance.’”

https://www.theringer.com/nfl-preview/20...ensive-identity

Legend
Legend
Re: Klint Kubiak, or any Kubiak -

If they are under contract, then unless Minnesota chooses to allow them out of that contract, they have absolutely zero chance of coming here. Stefanski cannot even contact them about a job, once he signs on the dotted line, without the Vikings' permission to do so.

In either case, I expect two things to happen:

1. I expect that the Offensive and Defensive hires will be announced at the same time, in the same press conference.

2. I expect that it won't happen until the 49ers are done playing, because I think that at least one of the coordinators will come from there.

Browns is the Browns

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:
They will have to risk working with a first time HC that was the last one hired in the process of five hires. A HC, that as far as I know, no other team even interviewed for the HC position.

eh, the same would be true no matter which of our finalists were hired. It's really not that big a deal.

It's a thing, sure, but it's not so dramatic as your writing tries to paint it.

If you leave out the part about the instability of Haslam to fill out the rest of the painting, I agree with you. Big picture it's a lot for someone to overcome those obstacles to come here.

Quote:
Bottom line: just as there are only 32 Head Coach jobs in the world, there are only 64 Coordinator positions in the world.... and pretty much only the couple of vacancies. So, anyone that wants to be a coordinator in the NFL and add that next line item to their resume will be more than happy to come here.

And from the "short term, in the moment decision" angle, that is quite true.

Often times quality people and candidates won't view things in the short term. They look at things long term. If you feel taking the position in the spur of the moment to get your shot you may jump at such an opportunity. I'm not sure I feel that's a wise way of looking at things, but some people certainly do.

However, if you're looking at your long term career as an NFL coach, looking to put a star on your resume to continue an upward trajectory in the NFL, you may very well wait for a better opportunity. I know a lot of people who have turned down jobs that ended up better off for it.

Let's just say out of all the opportunities there is in the NFL, I'd say the Browns are pretty low on the list of, "That's the job I want!!!"

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
The fewer jobs available, the higher on everyone's list they are.

Even with offset language, everyone will opt for the paycheck and the resume bullet point versus sitting out and doing nothing.

Browns is the Browns

C
Legend
Legend
C

Even with offset language, everyone will opt for the paycheck and the resume bullet point versus sitting out and doing nothing.

We've been firing coaches left and right for years now. Last year we got Todd Monken, who was interviewing for head coaching positions prior to be hired as our offensive coordinator, and Steve Wilks, who was a head coach the previous season, as our coordinators.

Coaches want to coach. They also want shiny new titles. They also want fat pay checks. The Browns offer the ability to accomplish all three.

P
Legend
Legend
P

We're simply going to have to disagree here. If I knew I had the strong possibility of getting the same opportunity very soon, with what I thought was a better staff and a more stable working environment, for the overall sake of my career, I would bide my time.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

We've been firing coaches left and right for years now. Last year we got Todd Monken, who was interviewing for head coaching positions prior to be hired as our offensive coordinator, and Steve Wilks, who was a head coach the previous season, as our coordinators.

Coaches want to coach. They also want shiny new titles. They also want fat pay checks. The Browns offer the ability to accomplish all three.
If that's the case you dont end up with guys like Pettine (not to bash him, but he was like our 7th choice in HC that year).

WE have been turned down already in THIS PROCESS by coaches.

Its a thing. Its not made up. We are the poop stain of the NFL. I am sure there is a "Browns" joke to correlate with that somehow.

Legend
Legend
Perhaps, but do it here in Cleveland, that has suffered so much for so long and get to be THE GUY that changed it all? Who could turn that down, unless you're just looking for the easy ticket, of course. wink

On a more serious note: "If I knew I had the strong possibility of getting the same opportunity very soon, with what I thought was a better staff and a more stable working environment"

That's just it, you NEVER KNOW when those chances are going to come or who will be available to you when you try to put your staff together and when you don't get that shot (or take it when it comes), you're staring at a full year of waiting for the next hopeful shot. Just look at McDaniels.... we're just about the only team that gave him a serious look this year. Most others never even called his agent. Kudos to him for holding fast on demanding the environment he wanted, but still... not a lot of teams were calling, and every year there are a handful of coordinators that have a hot year and headline all the coaching talk, relegating you to the background further and further.

Last edited by PrplPplEater; 01/13/20 02:44 PM.

Browns is the Browns

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
J/C

Getting fired from the job in Cleveland might have a lot less sting that getting fired from anywhere else. "Yes, he was fired, but it was Cleveland so we can't hold that against him."

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
Legend
Legend
lol! Sad, but probably quite true.

It's like getting canned from the Redskins; some things are just expected, and accepted as inexplicable.

Browns is the Browns

P
Legend
Legend
P
And he is the prime example of what I'm talking about. Maybe he didn't get looks from others. But isn't that even more troubling?

We were his only option and even with that said, unless he could have control, at least that's the popular rumor, and even with us being his only option, he wasn't willing to walk into this is dysfunction with someone elses power structure which has already failed here before. The kumbaya method isn't new here. It has been tried and failed before......

Some seem to think this "everybody meets with Haslam" idea is something new or something that will be a wonderful thing. They have a short memory. It's just a recycled idea that didn't work the first time....

Quote:

Jimmy Haslam announces Ray Farmer as general manager, goes on the defensive with media

Cleveland Browns owner Jimmy Haslam met with the media on Tuesday, announcing Ray Farmer as the team's sole general manager and generally being pretty defensive about the job he's done thus far.

On Tuesday, Cleveland Browns owner Jimmy Haslam announced significant organizational moves in a press conference. Those moves saw general manager Michael Lombardi and CEO Joe Banner given the boot in favor of new general manager Ray Farmer.

"Joe and I, after lots of conversation, mutually agreed it was best for the organization to streamline things," Haslam said to assembled media, "Accordingly, we've announced that Alec Scheiner, as I mentioned, will run our business side and will remain as president. (Mike) Pettine will remain as head coach and Farmer will be general manager."

went on to say that there will be no CEO, and that all three Scheiner, Pettine and Farmer will report to him. Banner will likely stay on with the team through the bulk of the offseason to "help transition" over that time period.

Both Banner and Lombardi are now in the same company as former head coach Rob Chudzinski they were all let go after just one season at the helm.

Haslam was very defensive of the Browns and where they stand as an organization, namely regarding the team's coaching search. Some have wondered if potential candidates simply avoided the job altogether due to the situation in Cleveland, possibly looking to the fact that Chudzinski wasn't given a fair chance to make things happen.

"I will accept comments and criticism about change. I will accept resposibility for changes that have been made," Haslam said, "There's no primer for being an NFL owner. It is learn on the go, if you will."

"I think the reports of people not wanting to talk to us are inaccurate," he went on to add, "I think we went through a very thorough search. Comments were made about how long it took. I think we got the best person available."

There were multiple reports that candidates for the head coaching job, eventually accepted by Pettine, former defensive coordinator of the Buffalo Bills, took their names out of the running for the job after interviewing with the organization. As to whether or not that had something to do with Chudzinski or not, it's unclear. But Haslam seems to think that there was too much going on organizationally, and that things needed to be simplified.

"I felt like the previous setup was cumbersome," Haslam told the media, "I view my job as this: to provide the proper resources, to put the right people in the right place, to hold them accountable, and do everything I can to help them be successful."

That is similar to an earlier quote for Haslam, back when the NFL approved him as the new owner of the Browns. Haslam said then that he was going to be involved, "but involved in the proper way." He said that he had five people that reported to him at Pilot Flying J, and that they are all "smarter than I am, and they're all better at their role then I am, and we let them do their jobs."

Haslam finished off that quote with this caveat, though: "On the other hand, we question them, we push them, we challenge them, we hold them accountable."[/b]

It wasn't the only time Haslam has made a reference to his time at Flying J, saying at another time that he's familiar with the process of putting the right people in place. "Running a company like Flying , we've hired a lot of senior executives," Haslam said, "I think we know that process, we know how to understand it and go about it and feel good about the hire of Joe," then referencing the hiring of Banner.

Clearly, Haslam believes that his input into how things are run isn't the be-all, end-all to the organization, but he's so far not been shy about sticking very, very close to the "accountability" line.

Of course, Haslam does go on to point out that Farmer has been with the organization for a year, noting that it's not someone being brought in from the outside. To close out, he became defensive again, saying that he "underestimated this," and suggesting that he be looked at as a "work in-progress."

Haslam did say that these moves are "the last of the major changes we'll make in the organization." You know, until the next one.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/2/11/5401496/jimmy-haslam-browns-press-conference-ray-farmer

And this latest one isn't anything new. He's done it before. And the results sucked. Same old story, same old song and dance.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Yup, but I also think he's a slightly different animal simply because he is quite comfy and secure in New England.

He has Tom Brady, Bill Belichick, and Robert Kraft's shoulders to stand on for as long as he wants, basically. The ONLY reason I can see him leaving there is exactly what you wrote: if he gets every single demand met.

And, don't get me wrong.... I'm not discounting our dysfunction at all. I'm half serious - ok, more like 90% serious - when I write things like "don't be afraid to fire him before the first game, Jimmy!". We ARE going to fire Stefanski, the only question is after how many games.

That said, guys will still come here to coach. Sure, some that are in comfy spots won't risk giving that up, but all others will take the opportunity when it comes along, and when they get fired, at their next interview they get to say "yeah, but it was Cleveland". It's funny and sad, and quite true at this point.

Will we ever be anyone's top choice destination? Oh, Hell no.... and you're right that we are down at the bottom almost universally, but guys will still come because in the end, it is still an NFL coaching job.

Browns is the Browns

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
This, and sashi/hue were to report to him as well.

I dont see why people are even arguing this still. Im not saying Sefanski is going to be a bad hire, I am saying the way the structure is going to be setup, THAT will be the downfall, once again.

Its the exact reason why guys like MM and JM woudl want "sweeping changes" before coming here. Its doomed to fail.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm not so sure going into the 2020 season with a 43 year old Tom Brady is a strong selling point for staying in New England.

And I'm certainly not trying to indicate that coaches won't come here. I'm simply saying if you are a quality candidate with a good reputation around the league, you may very well choose not to.

I'll tell you what, let's see how our coaching staff gets filled out and see if an argument can actually be made that they are the most qualified candidates out there for their respective job titles.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I'm not so sure going into the 2020 season with a 43 year old Tom Brady is a strong selling point for staying in New England.

And I'm certainly not trying to indicate that coaches won't come here. I'm simply saying if you are a quality candidate with a good reputation around the league, you may very well choose not to.

I'll tell you what, let's see how our coaching staff gets filled out and see if an argument can actually be made that they are the most qualified candidates out there for their respective job titles.
There is a reason the two biggest names in the market RiverBoat Ron and MM, didn't come here.

There is a reason we hired Mike Pettine, Hue Jackson, Freddie, etc.

Regardless of our roster, the top names are going to go elsewhere if given the opportunity.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I tend to agree with you. I've seen this movie before and know how it ends. Actually I've seen it several times.

I can't blame Stefanski for wanting his shot. It's the only gig offered to him. But I'm pretty sure the weight that's being hung around his neck with Haslam micromanaging everything will be his downfall more than anything else.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I tend to agree with you. I've seen this movie before and know how it ends. Actually I've seen it several times.

I can't blame Stefanski for wanting his shot. It's the only gig offered to him. But I'm pretty sure the weight that's being hung around his neck with Haslam micromanaging everything will be his downfall more than anything else.
I agree. I am not bashing the hire, more so than the culture we have setup and are going back too.

I personally think we needed a guy with more bark behind his bite though for this roster. Guys will respond instantly to a JM, he has the rings that will make them listen.

Stefanski, Saleh, etc., they have to prove it still. That takes time. They can. But if we truly want to win right now, we needed the guy that can come in and give orders.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

If that's the case you dont end up with guys like Pettine (not to bash him, but he was like our 7th choice in HC that year).

WE have been turned down already in THIS PROCESS by coaches.

Its a thing. Its not made up. We are the poop stain of the NFL. I am sure there is a "Browns" joke to correlate with that somehow.

I am unaware of any coaches that turned us down this year.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns OC / DC Search

Link Copied to Clipboard