Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
Just using the past results to dictate the future is too exclusive for me. Let this play out some more. I hope different parameters yield different results. It may not. I am relieved enough to be rid of Kitchens.

That's just it. It you believe in root cause analysis and you haven't eliminated the root cause why would you expect different results?

That's just wishful thinking and hope.

Legend
Legend
You manufacture conspiracy theory, I present facts.

My head is in the sand.

Got it. thumbsup

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
R
Legend
Legend
R
Facts? That he interviewed for other jobs? Sure. Can you provide some more details of those interviews? Did he get to the finish line on each only to turn down the offers? Did he back out before they made a decision? Was he a leading candidate for any? Did he interview more than once? Did he have demands that wouldn't be met?

I don't know the answer to any of those questions. Would those answers potentially change my mind on what went down with Paton in Cleveland? Possibly.

Would any of it change my mind on where this team is headed with Haslam and Depo? Not for a second.

Legend
Legend
I thought that Paton turned down an interview with the Jets .... two different times.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
And while I'm at it, the Browns not landing Paton was a huge, and I mean HUGE, failure.

Him "backing out" tells you everything you need to know.

I would bet my life savings on he was ultimately uncomfortable with Haslam's and Depo's roles.

Why is Berry the front runner? Because he's comfortable with Haslam's and Depo's roles. Haslam, the con artist snake oil salesman, will pass it off as not being aligned - which is a fancy word that the candidate was not comfortable with his level of involvement.

But what would have been better for the Browns? What would happen if everyone involved put the Browns first and not their own personal desires? Paton would have been the choice. He is far and away a much better candidate than Berry.

So why on earth wouldn't the Browns do everything in their power to land Paton?

It's disgusting.

Actually, I saw reports that he was completely fine with the structure, and that a ton of people thought this would finally be the job that he left Minnesota for, but that he decided to stay. He has turned most interviews down in the past.

Plus, he met with Minnesota after the 2nd interview. I'm assuming he got a raise as well

R
Legend
Legend
R
Ok, you guys win. Paton loves Minnesota and will never leave. He'll continue to take interviews for the frequent flier miles and the free meals. He's got quite the racket going. I hear they've saved up enough for that trip to Europe now!

He had no issue with the structure. He was completely content working with Haslam and Depo. Their track record of success would be hard to turn down for anyone. A lot of people banging on the doors of Berea for that chance.

Haslam got it right this time, whoever he hires. Because Haslam always gets it right and always gets his guy. Playoffs next year baby!

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Yes ... It was all Hues fault .... rofl ...

I think the QB room he entered that season with had as many wins after the season as they did before it started .... rofl ...

Its not like having a QB is important .... thumbsup

Stop rolling around and crapping your pants. Nobody said it was all Hue's fault. He just took them to the worst record in NFL history.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Maybe if Stefanski has some success (i.e. wins), MR. Haslam will back off and let things run differently. That is possible.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
Maybe if Stefanski has some success (i.e. wins), MR. Haslam will back off and let things run differently. That is possible.

Maybe he'll finally realize that when he hires good people, and lets them do their jobs, he gets much, much smarter.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: FATE
Quick question Rish, since you're so well connected. Here's a short list of other teams from a quick internet search of franchises interviewing Patton the last couple years...

49ers
Colts
Dolphins
Jets
Chiefs
Rams
Giants

None of them hired him. Are all of these franchises corrupt as well?

I don't believe that's what it says at all. I do however think it says a lot and not just about the Browns.

Paton, by your own list you compiled, is a very hot commodity. It seems several teams have at least considered him as their GM. Now what your list doesn't tell me is Which of those teams chose not to hire him and which of those teams he chose not to take the GM position with. Knowing that would either help bolster your point or undermine it depending on the outcome.

What we do know is that it was "his choice" to take his name off of our list of candidates. To me that simply means he didn't see the situation as one where he felt it would be a positive move for him. You don't come back for a second interview if you're not serious about taking the job.

All it tells us is when he finds the right option for him, where he thinks his odds of success are good, he'll rake it. He isn't giving all of these GM interviews because he doesn't want to be an NFL GM.

Now if you could provide us with the list of GM interviews he's taken where it was "his choice" not to take the job, that would be helpful. Otherwise we have no idea if it was his choice, or those teams choice to hire a different candidate. We know the answer to that one here.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H

Before Paton took his name off the list, he met with the Minnesota hierarchy and it is believed he received a raise.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Legend
Legend
I don't need to bolster any point bro. The laundry list of interviews just shows that he is only going to what he considers and ideal situation. He's not in a race to be a GM. He obviously is very well appreciated, compensated and comfortable in Minnesota.

My point is a simple rebuttal to the posters that have decided that it must be DePodesta's fault.

Paton doesn't sign - DePo's fault
McDaniels doesn't bring his circus to town - DePo's fault
Sun doesn't shine tomorrow in Cleveland - DePo's fault

Every thread, over and over, blah, blah, BLAH.

R
Legend
Legend
R
No one is saying, or at least I'm not saying, it is Depo's fault. He's just playing the game to get what he wants.

What I am saying is it IS Haslam's fault.

If your argument was to include all those Paton interviews as some bolster for Depo, then you missed the point completely.

Legend
Legend
I figured I missed the point lol. thumbsup

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: FATE
I don't need to bolster any point bro. The laundry list of interviews just shows that he is only going to what he considers and ideal situation.

I find it curious how you can draw such a conclusion having no idea of how many times it was the team he interviewed who decided not to hire him. We have no idea how many of those teams you listed chose someone else for the job.

Quote:
Paton doesn't sign - DePo's fault
McDaniels doesn't bring his circus to town - DePo's fault
Sun doesn't shine tomorrow in Cleveland - DePo's fault

Every thread, over and over, blah, blah, BLAH.

i have no way to pinpoint what his decision was based on. But it's obvious that there was at least one element and maybe more he didn't find comfortable.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
[quote
I find it curious how you can draw such a conclusion having no idea of how many times it was the team he interviewed who decided not to hire him. We have no idea how many of those teams you listed chose someone else for the job.][/quote]

And there is no way of telling if the guy would have even been good at the job. People are acting as if this was the only guy who would have done good here. For all we know he might just keep turning down jobs because he doesn't want the responsibility involved. Think about it, the actual GM would take the blame in Minny if the team fails. Maybe he is happy where he is at. Being comfortable at a job, is a great reason not to want to leave.

But I'm sure it's Haslam's fault.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Legend
Legend
Those remain good things. If the parameters change the way the root is addressed there is potential for variance. But saying it has always been thus and so makes it thus and so forever is the recipe for hope and such. You have not proven the future. I am okay with faith, and I have been wrong before.
I choose to live that way. Not sure what you get out of your approach. My beliefs are not subject to your poaching or belittling. Speak for yourself.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Halfback32
Well .. Robert Griffin is with Baltimore.. Kessler is with the Patriots .. McCown was just in the Playoffs with the Eagles and played one of the gutsiest games ever, while injured .. and atm Tyrod Taylor may be the starter for the Chargers. So yes, some of the QBs are still in football.. where is the revisionist history ?

For starters Taylor wasn’t brought here by your hero ... rofl ...

WOW ... impressive .... and i was talking about the 2nd QB room ... u know the names no sense me re-hashing them ... but lets look at your list ...

RG3 - back up who was out of football for a year ....

McCown - how many games was he healthy for ... what did he ate 2 0 3 3 whole starts that year ....

PS. If u want to bring that year in it would be very menZaesque cause then we get to talk about Jesus and a few others that should not be held against anyone but if u wanna play like u just did ... i can too ... thumbsup

Kessler is with the Pats ... guess that’s checkmate ... rofl ...

Kizer in the league also ... not sure if he’s second or third string behind that legend Nate Peterman i think his name is ...

Guess u schooled me ...

Dude ... u impress way to easily ... thumbsup

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: mgh888

I think the QB room he entered that season with had as many wins after the season as they did before it started .... rofl ...

And yet the Browns made young rookies + 2nd and 3rd string QB's look like rock stars this year and lost to them. Coaching has nothing to do with that right?

Coaching has a lot to do with it ... IF U get something to work with .. based on your theory of it was the coaching with these dudes ...

Guess every coach that has had the BUMS your hero brought in to play for us all stink too ... lets see ... that makes ...

John Gruden and Mike McCarthy clueless since neither of them could turn Kizer around ... or is it the new packers HC that must stink ...

We’ll learn an awful lot about that Billicheck’s ability to coach based off how Cody blossoms ...

And lets see ... where did the BUM from Stanford start .... i believe it may have been under that ABYSMALLY NO NOTHING Andy Reid ...

U got me ... i leave with my tail between my legs ... rolleyes ...

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: jfanent

Stop rolling around and crapping your pants. Nobody said it was all Hue's fault. He just took them to the worst record in NFL history.

Crapping my pants ... rofl ...

Y’all wanna pretend the crap he was given to work with had nutting to do with it ..

I’ll be crappin all over u and your revisionist history as long as u continue to look at only 1/2 the problem ...

Get used to it ... rofl ...

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Feel free to put your head in the sand. I get it. As a fan it's more enjoyable that way to have blind hope. I don't blame you.

As for Paton, the Browns brought him in twice. He has a close relationship with the coach. Haslam has said that's what he wanted, a coach and GM in sync. Why on earth would he come in twice if he wasn't interested in the job? He was looking for certain things that would make it comfortable for him to take it. Why not give him those things? He checked all the boxes.

Maybe he just wanted a couple of free trips to Cleveland so he could go to B Spot.

Personally I think you are full of crap, but trying to leave personal out of the matter, you just don't know., and that's the reality, just like I don't know.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Y’all wanna pretend the crap he was given to work with had nutting to do with it ..

Keep rolling and crapping trying to put something into the story that isn't there. I absolutely said we had a roster that lacked talent and was glad Sashi was fired, but it took a "special" coach to get us to 1-31. I think you were one of those that wanted to keep the worst head coach in NFL history to see what he could do with better players. Now here's a spot for a rolling on the floor guy. wink

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
D
Legend
Legend
D
Damm straight i did ... i think everyone deserves a fair shot and if u think he had a fair shot the first two years all i can say is god bless u ...

I said before both those seasons started if u had Vince as HC ... Walsh & Billicheck as O & D coordinators you’d be lucky to win 3 games ...

And dawg ... i don’t read much ... the first post i read of yours in this thread wash your response to me ... .

M
Legend
Legend
M
And lets see ... where did the BUM from Stanford start .... i believe it may have been under that ABYSMALLY NO NOTHING Andy Reid ...

Kevin Hogan got his start in KC because some BUM of a GM drafted him to the astonishment of the scouting department and coaching staff. thumbsup

Given the power each then wielded, the stock criticism of Dorsey—that while he’s incredibly respected as an evaluator, he’s more scout than manager—was validated with a level of disorganization that was noticeable before the hyper-organized Ballard departed, and obvious after he left for Indy.

As one source explained it, “It wasn’t dysfunction so much as it was decisions were being made that seemed to come out of nowhere. So that existed, but the people here weren’t aware that ownership was aware of it. … You look back now, how it worked out, and ownership was more aware that it didn’t need to be run that way.”

There were also a few flash points to prove it out over the past 18 months:

• The selection of Stanford quarterback Kevin Hogan in the fifth round of the 2016 draft. That move stunned scouts and coaches, based on the evaluation and meetings leading up to the draft. Hogan didn’t wind up making the team four months later, and started last season on the Browns’ practice squad.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/06/29/kansas-city-chiefs-john-dorsey-fired-nfl-notebook

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:
Damm straight i did ... i think everyone deserves a fair shot and if u think he had a fair shot the first two years all i can say is god bless u ...

Imagine watching the 2019 Dolphins with a worse roster winning 5 games and still thinking this....

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Quote:

Imagine watching the 2019 Dolphins with a worse roster winning 5 games and still thinking this....

All it took was Brian Flores (another DePo guy willynilly), not Vince Lombardi and Bill Walsh, whom apparently would not have done better than the guy that jumped in the lake!

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Personally I think you are full of crap, but trying to leave personal out of the matter, you just don't know., and that's the reality, just like I don't know.

You always think I'm full of crap. That isn't anything new.

But I'll tell you what I do know. Haslam is one of the worst, if not the worst, owners in all of sports.

And his fingerprints are all over this structure, the hires, the "alignment".

That does not bring me comfort.

It sounds like the majority, especially those who favor a structure where Depo has power, are optimistic that it will work. Never mind that it has never been about analytics or Depo. Or non-analytics and Dorsey. It always has been and continues to be about Haslam.

Can't wait until Haslam asks Chad O'Shea on the practice field out of the blue what he thinks of the job Stefanski is doing. Good times.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Ryan Fitzpatrick vs Kizer. Kessler and Hogan ...

Devonte Parker vs Kenny Britt and Corey Coleman ...

Should i keep going ... wink

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Zzzzzzzzzzzzz....

We should be hearing something fairly soon, right?

Should I assume whoever we hire has been attending the Senior Bowl?

M
Legend
Legend
M
Ryan Fitzpatrick vs Kizer. Kessler and Hogan ...

Devonte Parker vs Kenny Britt and Corey Coleman ...

Should i keep going ... wink

Ryan Fitzpatrick? The Dolphins leading rusher!

Yes, keep going, it's a hoot.

Hat tip to Mr. Jackson wink

Legend
Legend

Actually I expect the GM decision will be announced or leaked today.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
We could always have Jimmy take over like Jerry does in Dallas.

Bite your tongue smile

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: jfanent

Crapping my pants ... rofl ...

I’ll be crappin all over u and your revisionist history as long as u continue to look at only 1/2 the problem ...

Get used to it ... rofl ...

Thinking about Hue upsets my stomach and gives me spastic colon, too.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
If Flores was our coach in 2016, we might have made the playoffs!

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
People always seem to forget we had McCown and Osweiler as well... and Hue CHOSE to go with Kizer against the recommendation of the front office.

That's very bad coaching, not bad GM'ing.

P
Legend
Legend
P
rofl

Why he didn't start all those great QB's over Kiser is amazing! That QB room sucked.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Because he's a bad coach. Were you not paying attention?

P
Legend
Legend
P
With a bad roster he had to work with. Until last year.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
And the Dolphins roster is worse and they won 5 games this year. Pretty telling I'd say.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns GM search II

Link Copied to Clipboard