#1732202 02/16/20 09:59 AM
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
These are the first two paragraphs of the NFL's Personal Conduct policy:

It is a privilege to be part of the National Football League. Everyone who is part of the league must refrain from “conduct detrimental to the integrity of and public confidence in” the NFL. This includes owners, coaches, players, other team employees, game officials, and employees of the league office, NFL Films, NFL Network, or any other NFL business.

Conduct by anyone in the league that is illegal, violent, dangerous, or irresponsible puts innocent victims at risk, damages the reputation of others in the game, and undercuts public respect and support for the NFL. We must endeavor at all times to be people of high character; we must show respect for others inside and outside our workplace; and we must strive to conduct ourselves in ways that favorably reflect on ourselves, our teams, the communities we represent, and the NFL.

https://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/photo/2017/08/11/0ap3000000828506.pdf

One of Myles Garrett's first public acts after his reinstatement was to appear in an ESPN interview and to repeat an allegation that is, at least according to the NFL, unsupported by available audio recorded before and during the fight with Mason Rudolph last November.

Should we expect another suspension for Myles based on his latest comments about Rudolph? Are they not "irresponsible" and "damaging" to Rudolph's reputation? Do they not "undercut public respect and support" based on the language allegedly used by Rudolph, according to Garrett?

It seems that either Garrett or Rudolph should be facing additional disciplinary action; either Garrett for "slander", or Rudolph for hurling a hateful, racist epithet at Garrett.

If there really is no audio from the fight, then it could be argued that Garrett's allegation is irresponsible and damaging to Rudolph's reputation, as well as detrimental to the league's image.

If there are no further league sanctions against Garrett, doesn't it indicate that there actually is audio of Rudolph saying that word, but the league is suppressing it for obvious reasons - to avoid the PR clusterbomb of having denied it existed for 3 months?

R
Legend
Legend
R
If Myles Garrett was truly a team player and put the team first, he would have just moved on. Instead he's a meathead that continues to bring unwanted attention and distraction to the team. At one point yesterday two of ESPN's headlines involved Garrett, one for the allegation and one for Rudolph saying he's going to sue him for slander. Mike Tomlin gave a statement that, in my opinion, was credible and damaging to Garrett's claim. However, even if Rudolph said it, just move on. Do the right thing for the team and move on.

He's such a selfish me first football player. I'm sick of the guy. Shut up and win football games.

Man, we have an unlikable team.

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

I'm glad the vast majority of our fan base doesn't share the privious posters views.

It seems like when someone tries to bend you over, their course of action would be to hold your ankles and take it.

What happened to men standing up for themselves?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Is this how the NFL ends? Getting pulled into court by the lawsuit of a horrible backup QB, who happens to be a racist, and its history of cover-ups comes out in the public record? Garrett counter-sues for the damage the NFL did to his reputation while trying to foolishly protect itself when it could have just released the audio? A racist backup QB getting cut would have disappeared from the news before now.

The NFL's carefully crafted statements that dance around the issue are suspicious. Of course they're not going to come out and say, "we got rid of and suppressed all the evidence." The league's plausible deniability doesn't seem very plausible. No one heard anything? A primetime rivalry game? No audio was recorded?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
R
Legend
Legend
R
What if someone had posted a few seconds before you did?

That would have been awkward.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
What if someone had posted a few seconds before you did?

That would have been awkward.

They didn't so it wasn't. You know what they say about coulda shoulda woulda..... They didn't.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
The evidence that Garrett is a selfish football player continues to mount. I actually thought after the reinstatement that would be the end of it. Should have known better.

P
Legend
Legend
P
It seems like when someone tries to bend you over, their course of action would be to hold your ankles and take it.

What happened to men standing up for themselves?

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
Didn't he already stand up for himself when he hit him in the head with a helmet?

How much more does Garrett need?

And when does the team become more important than his need to stand up for himself?

This isn't any revelation, but this team will never turn it around until people start putting the Browns before themselves...from Halsam on down.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I guess Garrett should say what you want him to say and only for as long as you think he should say it. I guess a race that has had to put up with such treatment for hundreds of years now should just suck it up and listen to you.

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
So when is it resolved? Never?

At what point are there diminishing returns where the incessant behavior starts affecting other things?

At what point does the accuser take that into consideration?

And all of that is only if you believe Garrett.

And many African Americans don't believe Garrett.

Move the f on. Focus on helping the Browns win football games.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm sure that Myles Garrett and the black community as a whole appreciate your input. Not really.....

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
I don't care about how this affects race relations.

I care about Myles Garrett helping (and not hurting) the Browns win football games.

P
Legend
Legend
P
He has helped and will help. For some odd reason you think something said off the field changes the way a player plays. It doesn't. The problem comes when a player talks like he's somebody and can't back it up on the field.

#gmstrong
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
I posted a 4th Myles Garrett thread because I'm wondering if Myles is doubling down on his allegation to force the NFL into a position where they are tacitly endorsing his position when they don't take further action against him for repeating his "slander" against Rudolph. In effect, Myles seems to be implying that the NFL knows full well that Rudolph used that word, but they are withholding the audio because of how it would be perceived by the public if the truth came out. If that audio actually exists and if it ever shows up on TMZ or Deadspin, Goodell might be finished, and the league would take a huge PR hit. On the flip side, The NFL might not like being put in that position, and we might be looking at another suspension for Garrett for violation of the Personal Conduct Code re: conduct detrimental to the league.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I commend Myles for standing up for what he believes in. I wager these slurs are a huge problem that go unreported, and the league would rather take a minstrel show attitude about this than do the right thing. Just look at the kneeling stuff as an example of the NFL not doing the right thing.

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
IMO, making that kind of accusation falsely is worse than actually using the word that Garrett says Rudolph used. That's why I have a hard time believing Myles would lie about it. With that said, none of us really knows these players; not Myles Garrett, and not Mason Rudolph. But I do know that Myles' reputation is taking a huge hit based on the allegations. Read the comments by readers at any numbers of sites; they are calling him "Myles Smollett" and accusing him of race-baiting. I really don't know what to think, but I do know that by not releasing any audio they have, the NFL is letting him twist in the wind, and I don't blame him for not liking it and for fighting back

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
My guess is the ESPN (BSPN!) interviewer coaxed that comment out of Myles Garrett to fan the flames some more. Most Steelers fans that I know of are tired of this story already and wish it would go away.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: sk8termom
My guess is the ESPN (BSPN!) interviewer coaxed that comment out of Myles Garrett to fan the flames some more. Most Steelers fans that I know of are tired of this story already and wish it would go away.

I agree with the first part. I'd guess ESPN might even have audio, but the NFL denied their request to reproduce it. They don't want to put their business with the NFL in jeopardy (or risk lawsuits), so they're perhaps trying to prod the NFL into doing the right thing on its own.

As for the second part...
When the options for the face of the franchise are an alleged rapist or an alleged racist, I understand Steelers fans not wanting to look too closely. poke tongue Not that Myles swinging a helmet was a good look for the Browns, either.

I wonder if Mariota could land there. No first rounder and their depth chart has more questions than answers. Mariota is squeaky clean off the field.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Dave
I really don't know what to think, but I do know that by not releasing any audio they have, the NFL is letting him twist in the wind, and I don't blame him for not liking it and for fighting back

Per the NFL CBA, it appears the NFL cannot just release the audio if Rudolph was/had been mic'd up or there was other audio without Rudolph's or a team representative's approval.

If Rudolph said it and then found out it was captured on audio he could have had the audio blocked from being released if not destroyed, assuming he said what he's accused of.

Here's how the CBA reads re: on-field microphones....

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
I really don't know what to think, but I do know that by not releasing any audio they have, the NFL is letting him twist in the wind, and I don't blame him for not liking it and for fighting back

Per the NFL CBA, it appears the NFL cannot just release the audio if Rudolph was/had been mic'd up or there was other audio without Rudolph's or a team representative's approval.

If Rudolph said it and then found out it was captured on audio he could have had the audio blocked from being released if not destroyed, assuming he said what he's accused of.

Here's how the CBA reads re: on-field microphones....

So Rudolph and his attorney get to call Garrett the worst kind of liar while simultaneously blocking the release of any audio that might prove he was being truthful? It sounds to me like the wrong party is threatening to sue. They say it takes years to build a good reputation and mere seconds to ruin it, and Myles' reputation is taking a beating.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist
I commend Myles for standing up for what he believes in. I wager these slurs are a huge problem that go unreported, and the league would rather take a minstrel show attitude about this than do the right thing. Just look at the kneeling stuff as an example of the NFL not doing the right thing.

I want to believe that the accusations are not true. That's a horrible thing to say to someone at all. In competition, or otherwise.

But anyone who has followed the Browns, and followed Myles Garret know he is a pretty chill guy who happens to play a violent position in a violent game. He has been flagged for other stuff, but it's pretty much late hits that would not have been penalties 10 years ago. I've heard some people say he's a dirty player even before the incident, but I think he's just struggling with these rule changes over the last few years.

Let's also not forget the incident where someone on the street took a swing at him, and he didn't do anything back. I think that says a lot.

I just tend to believe Garrett, because I don't think he just takes that dudes helmet off, and blasts him with it for nothing.

and lulz @ the people who said he shouldn't have even tried to sack him because it was the last or second to last play of the game. This isn't beer league softball where you take it easy if you are up big on your opponent. Guys are being micro-analyzed to the slightest detail. They also have performance bonuses and other contract-incentive goals they are trying to get. You don't just take it easy in the NFL, Aside from a victory formation, you compete.

I would love to see Garrett get one more game against Rudolph, so he can hit him as hard as he can, take the 15 yard penalty (because it will probably be flagged cause nfl) and be done with it.

I fear that will never happen because Rudolph is a horrible QB who will be out of the league soon.

Happy to have him back, and I hope he still comes back as the force he was.

V
Legend
Legend
V
To get back to your OP, I don't believe the NFL should do anything to either Myles or Rudolph. It would just draw more attention to an open wound.

None of us know what happened and I find it irresponsible to argue vehemently for either Myles or Mason.

I can speculate on what happened, but that's all it is.

I think Mason might have been very angry that Myles threw him to the ground after he got rid of the ball in a game whose outcome was decided long-ago.

I think Myles was trying to get a sack and perhaps he did not know that Mason released the ball.

I think words were exchanged while the two were on the ground. I find it very feasible that no one else heard the exact words.

I believe that Myles believes that he heard what he did. I wonder if that is actually what Mason said. I believe the "stupid..." part. Not sure if Mason used the N word or not. But, I do believe that is what Myles thought he heard.

I think both dudes kinda lost their minds. I don't know about y'all, but you can lose your mind when involved in an altercation. I've been in fights where I didn't think I threw many punches, but my knuckles were swollen and I had some knots on my own head that I didn't remember receiving. I've had people tell me: "Dawg, you went crazy on that dude."

So, I can understand how both guys went crazy. And while I understand it, I still feel that punishment is warranted. Punishments were handed out and the recipients should accept them because there were multiple folks who did not act appropriately.

However, it's time to move on. We don't need the NFL to hand out more punishments. Time to let it go...

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Versatile Dog - thank you for your voice of reason. Enough is enough!

#gmstrong
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Myles Garrett paid a high price for his irresponsible behavior, probably justifiably. But I don't agree that it should just be left alone, because Myles continues to pay a hefty price in the court of public opinion for saying what he heard. If I were him, I'd want the truth to come out too. Not because it justifies his behavior that night - because it doesn't - but because he is now being painted as a lying race-hustler. Unfairly, IMO.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I just hope he doesn't get hit with a defamation suit.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
It's a possibility.

I do know that Tomlin went on national television today to defend Rudolph. This story may get bigger. I do wish that Myles had not brought that up again after he was reinstated. Sometimes, it's best to simply move on from a bad situation.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

M
Legend
Legend
M
"Right away"?

Did he call down to the field like Farmer?!

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Since Myles had to leave the field, I'm betting that Dorsey either beat feet to the lockerroom or made a call to there.
At the least, at his first conversation would be my guess.

Either way, it sounds like you're trying to read to much into it.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
There were only seconds left in a game that was won. He was probably already in the locker room, or maybe even on the sideline. It was going to be a big victory celebration until Myles sucked the air out of it.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I find it odd that even Brown's fans are not believing Garret. I don't think Garret is the type to make things up, it just doesn't seem to be in his character. Does anyone actually believe that anyone from the Steelers organization would go against one of their own? It wouldn't surprise me if the Rooneys pulled some strings and made sure the audio never surfaced.

Garret is not a dumb guy, IMO he is right to stand by his comments. I don't know if it happened or not, but, I believe Garret and see no reason not to.He took his punishment, paid his fine, and was successfully bashed by the media.He was wrong to hit Rudolph, but he is not wrong in defending his statements.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We should trade Garrett for whatever we can get for him. Every time he hits a QB now the refs will be all over him. Hell, they were before this incident. You can bet he has been told that any "roughing the passer" penalties will be met with serious consequences. I like the guy, I thought he was just defending himself. But as it stands he will be ineffective now that he has his hands tied. Also, if they do release Vernon, Garrett will once again be the lone pass rusher at end. I don't see them spending a high pick on that position and our new GM is not going to make a splash in FA. So get what you can for the man and hopefully draft an elite pass rusher down the road somewhere. One that doesn't have the league on his ass 24/7.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
There were only seconds left in a game that was won. He was probably already in the locker room, or maybe even on the sideline. It was going to be a big victory celebration until Myles sucked the air out of it.

Yeah, it was ALL Miles fault that the Steelers QB STARTED A FIGHT WITH HIM. *snicker*

Was he wrong in swinging the helmet? Yes. He should have dropped it. Then beat all three of the squealers that were attacking him down to the ground and stomped a mudhole into them.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
You find it odd that people who typically lean right won’t believe people use racial slurs?

These are the same people who think racism ended back in 1965. Hard to relate or believe something when you never venture outside of your bubble.

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Quote:
You find it odd that people who typically lean right won’t believe people use racial slurs?

Stereotype much? I "lean right" politically and I tend towards believing Myles, even though the truth is we simply can't know for sure whether it happened or not.

Legend
Legend

These are the same people who think racism ended back in 1965. Hard to relate or believe something when you never venture outside of your bubble.

You're doing exactly what you rant against others for doing.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Y
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y
Quote:

Stereotype much? I "lean right" politically and I tend towards believing Myles, even though the truth is we simply can't know for sure whether it happened or not.

If the NFL released audio of the event, we'd at least be reasonably sure one way or the other. With them ducking it, we're only left to speculate. That leads me to believe Garrett...

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M

Trash post.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YepTheBrownsRule
Quote:

If the NFL released audio of the event, we'd at least be reasonably sure one way or the other. With them ducking it, we're only left to speculate. That leads me to believe Garrett...

There will never be any audio.

The NFL's use of mics on players comes with a poison pill. The agreement with the NFLPA states that any player can have audio sequestered if he deems it derogatory or can be used against him in any way. Mason can use every racial slur in the world on a weekly basis and simply tell the league to destroy the evidence after the game.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Myles Garrett Part 4

Link Copied to Clipboard