Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Halfback32

Depo and Sashi both played football at Harvard. Depo always wanted to be a coach. His first job out of college was in the CFL. Then guess what, he was hired by the Indians, yes, the Cleveland Indians. Depo has been a part of the Browns organization's Front Office for 3 years now, but people are still treating him like a rookie. Plus, Berry is in charge of the 53 man roster.

No some people started a rumor that Depo was in charge of Football decisions. Then kept spewing that same crap over, and over, and over again till a few others around here starting taking it as a fact when it's not. That's when I started opening my big mouth.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Then that's my bad.

Quote:
Probably my bad too. I need to be more clear when I mention that regime and making comparisons. It's too easy to devolve into the old arguments.

Haha!

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: GMdawg

Depo and Sashi both played football at Harvard. Depo always wanted to be a coach. His first job out of college was in the CFL. Then guess what, he was hired by the Indians, yes, the Cleveland Indians. Depo has been a part of the Browns organization's Front Office for 3 years now, but people are still treating him like a rookie. Plus, Berry is in charge of the 53 man roster.

No some people started a rumor that Depo was in charge of Football decisions. Then kept spewing that same crap over, and over, and over again till a few others around here starting taking it as a fact when it's not. That's when I started opening my big mouth.

They just complain about things they don't understand. It isn't being stupid, it is just being ignorant. There is a difference. And being ignorant is unforgivable. Stupid people don't have the cognitive ability to learn.

Ignorant people refuse to or don't want to learn.

As I have said many times, Paul Brown was a analytics junkie. He brought it in to the game. In to sports for that matter.

If you think analytics doesn't work, you are telling me Paul Brown was a POS coach.

That's the bottom line. I think Paul was a pretty darn good coach. He figured things out before the meatheads did.

Little wonder.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Lots of that around here.

Tackles are tackles.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Not all that many. Just a few loudmouths., so it seems like many.

They post up a thread and keep bumping it to the top. Get a few replies, then bump up again 1 reply at a time.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Quote:

Not all that many. Just a few loudmouths., so it seems like many.

They post up a thread and keep bumping it to the top. Get a few replies, then bump up again 1 reply at a time.

Point well taken. I amend "lots" to a "handful".

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

And isn't it ironic, don't you think...

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: GMdawg

If your referring to me here once again i call BS ... and u can talk til your blue in the face ... the two following points are 100% FACT based off ACTIONS not your sources ...

1. Depo is jnot just a set up the process dude .... he was in on the decision for hiring Kev big time ... your not a dolt and better at math than the 0 + 0 = 0 is complicated math crew ...

He was in on every interview and wanted kev last year ... we hire him this year ... gimme a break he wasn’t a pat of THAT DECISION .... that is not just setting up processes ...

2. He does have the thief’s ear ... it’s OBVIOUS to anyone with a brain that is objective ... him and KJ didn’t get along and KJ is not gone ... u do the math ...

IMO he will stay it of Barry’s/Kev way but that’s pure spec on my part ... he TRUSTS them cause there numbers geeks like him ... he never had that with KJ ...

And let me guess .. he had hitting to do with the decision to hire the overrated one as of now ... that would be his fellow ivy leaguer GM ..

If your referring to me ... your WRONG AGAIN brother ...

So there ... thumbsup

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

And isn't it ironic, don't you think...
Channeling your inner Alanis?

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend
Quote:
If your referring to me here once again i call BS

I was not referring to you so unbunch your panties grin

Quote:
Depo is jnot just a set up the process dude .... he was in on the decision for hiring Kev big time ... your not a dolt and better at math than the 0 + 0 = 0 is complicated math crew ..

Was he asked his opinion... sure so were a a bunch of others you know team effort. Was he in charge, did he make the call, did he tell the Haslems to do it. No, no, and HELL NO

Quote:
He was in on every interview and wanted kev last year ... we hire him this year ... gimme a break he wasn’t a pat of THAT DECISION .... that is not just setting up processes ..

He was in on many interviews in all departments not just hiring a GM or a coach. I mean come on he set up the process they are using to run the organization, but he does not tell the GM, or the Coach, or the Haslams what to do in football matters.

Quote:
He does have the thief’s ear

So do a lot of people in the front office.

Quote:
If your referring to me ... your WRONG AGAIN brother .

Once again I wasn't refering to you. I think 99 percent of the folks around here know who I was talking about.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I'm going to say what I've always said when we've had a regime change; let's give it a chance. No change has been successful yet so LOA we're due. Maybe this time will be the charm thumbsup

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Who ran to the boss, crying about Dorsey and the decisions made by Dorsey when the team failed to live up to expectations in 2019?

Who used the results of the 2019 season to expand his own influence with the boss, at the expense of the current (2019) GM?

Who asked the boss to punish Dorsey by reducing his authority as the team's GM? ...you get one guess!

Who ran the search committee that just managed to interview many qualified, experienced HC candidates only to "miraculously" decide on hiring the guy that Depodesta wanted to hire last year?

Who hired the GM, who just happened to be the same guy that worked for Depodesta in 2017/18?

You know the answer, even though you have trouble repeating the answer or admitting the truth!

I refuse to apologize for NOT BEING A FOLLOWER, blindly following some dude who is more interested in building "his own business", rather than building the Browns into a winner.

How many failures in the NFL does anyone get?...those who accumulate a record of "1 win and 31 losses over a 2 season period" while playing MONEYBALL?..how many GET A SECOND CHANCE with a record of 1 win and 31 losses, over a two year period?

Depodesta got A SECOND CHANCE to build upon the successes of a "real GM"! A real GM who improved upon the Browns win/loss totals from 1 win (31 losses) over the 2016 and 2017 seasons...

...IMPROVING UPON THE BROWNS WIN RECORD TO 13 wins (18 losses) over the 2018 and 2019 seasons?

I would say that a line in the sand has been established and nothing less than 9 or 10 wins should be termed "acceptable" if ownership is using the same standards to judge the Depodesta MONEYBALLERS.

Just get the Browns to the playoffs...THAT IS ALL I'M ASKING FOR from the Moneyballers...MAC

Last edited by mac; 02/22/20 02:03 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Once again I wasn't refering to you. I think 99 percent of the folks around here know who I was talking about.

Maybe the menZas should explain it to the verZas. smile

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Quote:

Maybe the menZas should explain it to the verZas. smile

I think in this case it was the macZa...

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
I was referring to the 1 percenters.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Can anyone explain to me where the obsession with DePodesta comes from regarding people?

He’s apparently some Rasputin-like devil.

P
Legend
Legend
P
It's more a question of how much input and control he has than anything else. Not so much that there's anything evil about it.

Let's face it, two regimes and three HC's have come and gone while Depo remains. The HC that was just hired was his preference last year when Freddie was hired.

When everyone around you gets fired or leaves..... twice... When the guy you wants hired as HC gets hired as HC, it's obvious your influence is pretty huge.

It's not really quite the debatable topic some wish to make it out to be.

It doesn't mean he runs the team or calls all the shots as has been suggested by some. It's also a much more influential role than some are willing to admit as well.

Usually when two extremely opposing views are presented you find the truth is found squarely in the middle.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
It's more a question of how much input and control he has than anything else. Not so much that there's anything evil about it.

Let's face it, two regimes and three HC's have come and gone while Depo remains. The HC that was just hired was his preference last year when Freddie was hired.

When everyone around you gets fired or leaves..... twice... When the guy you wants hired as HC gets hired as HC, it's obvious your influence is pretty huge.

It's not really quite the debatable topic some wish to make it out to be.

It doesn't mean he runs the team or calls all the shots as has been suggested by some. It's also a much more influential role than some are willing to admit as well.

Usually when two extremely opposing views are presented you find the truth is found squarely in the middle.

I agree with the last sentence emphatically.

I guess my question is why people are so caught up in it. I only see a front office guy doing front office stuff.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Some people have been mourning the NFL death of Sashi ever since he was ran out of Cleveland. Some of us have found humor in that.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
#TheHandful

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Name-calling is alive and well on this board.

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Some people have been mourning the NFL death of Sashi ever since he was ran out of Cleveland. Some of us have found humor in that.

Not really an answer to my question. Give it another go.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Who ran to the boss, crying about Dorsey and the decisions made by Dorsey when the team failed to live up to expectations in 2019?

Nobody

Quote:
Who used the results of the 2019 season to expand his own influence with the boss, at the expense of the current (2019) GM?

NOBODY

Quote:
Who asked the boss to punish Dorsey by reducing his authority as the team's GM? ...you get one guess!

nobody

Quote:
Who ran the search committee that just managed to interview many qualified, experienced HC candidates only to "miraculously" decide on hiring the guy that Depodesta wanted to hire last year?

Depo.... although you try to screw that up as well. Just because a guy has experience does not mean he is good, and the guy Depo wanted last year is also the same guy others in the front office wanted last year instead of Freddie.

Quote:
Who hired the GM, who just happened to be the same guy that worked for Depodesta in 2017/18?

Jimmy, Dee, and several others, including Depo.

Quote:
You know the answer, even though you have trouble repeating the answer or admitting the truth!

You got it half right. I do know the answer, but your the one denying the truth.

Quote:
I refuse to apologize for NOT BEING A FOLLOWER, blindly following some dude who is more interested in building "his own business", rather than building the Browns into a winner.

I never ever expected you to Be a follower. I only expect you to stop spreading lies bro. Hell I have no clue if this change is going to be good or bad for the Browns. I wanted Dorsey to stay myself.

Quote:
How many failures in the NFL does anyone get?...those who accumulate a record of "1 win and 31 losses over a 2 season period" while playing MONEYBALL?..how many GET A SECOND CHANCE with a record of 1 win and 31 losses, over a two year period?

I don't know and I don't care since Depo was not, and is not in charge.

Quote:
Depodesta got A SECOND CHANCE to build upon the successes of a "real GM"! A real GM who improved upon the Browns win/loss totals from 1 win (31 losses) over the 2016 and 2017 seasons...

It's not possible to get a second chance when you never had a first chance notallthere

Quote:
I would say that a line in the sand has been established and nothing less than 9 or 10 wins should be termed "acceptable" if ownership is using the same standards to judge the Depodesta MONEYBALLERS.

The Haslams may or may not as well. Patients is not one of their values.

Quote:
Just get the Browns to the playoffs...THAT IS ALL I'M ASKING FOR

That part we can agree on Mac. thumbsup

P
Legend
Legend
P
#TheHandful

Yes, there are about a hand full of you.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
j/c

Since some folks are still attempting to undermine DePo's credibility claiming that he doesn't have any football experience and there for what he wants to do can't possibly work...

did it work in baseball?

Well then, what was his experience with baseball prior to?

Because according to some of you, logically then, he shouldn't have been successful there.

I'm also still amazed how much effort people put in to being purposefully ignorant. Applied Analytic is a concept. Once that concept is applied to a specific concentration, then it becomes a system. Labelling what he is doing as moneyball, or trying to tell people that he's trying to fit football in to a baseball system is just plain stupid.

Analytics in MLB vs. NBA.. similar in concept, different systems.

Articles on your Facebook Feed, suggested "next YouTube videos", even the ads that pop up on DT... all applied analytics in concept, just different in systems.

"But Devil.. DePo can't do that here! Because the Browns and the next cat video on YouTube aren't anything alike!"

SMDH

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Speaking for myself, I don't like it when DePo has more say in the day-to-day stuff. I get that his role is supposed to be set back from the front lines... and that I agree with. It's him having more of a say in the earlier drafts that worry me.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Since some folks are still attempting to undermine DePo's credibility claiming that he doesn't have any football experience and there for what he wants to do can't possibly work...

Those are the same people who walk around in the dark bumping into walls without a clue why they can't see when it's pitch black. Some folks don't want to hear the truth. They just want to live in the fantasy world going on inside their head.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Speaking for myself, I don't like it when DePo has more say in the day-to-day stuff. I get that his role is supposed to be set back from the front lines... and that I agree with. It's him having more of a say in the earlier drafts that worry me.

I don't think he has any say, but I wish he did.

As I explained a few posts back, Depo provides information. It's up to others to buy.

Think of him as an advisor. Think stocks if you will.

Depo provides a list that says buy early 70's McDonalds stock. Buy late 70's Microsoft and Apple. Buy this Netflix player.

Depo is around for a reason. Depo isn't being retained because he gave bad recommendations.

Haslam gets the info.

I am sure some didn't hit, but you only need to get it right 2-3 times a draft to be ahead of the game.

Any fool should be able to make most top round picks right. It's the third and down round guys that make a draft.

You have to hit down there too.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
The Brown's drafts were awful when he and his guys were in charge. Dorsey's drafts were far superior. The trades and FA pick-ups aren't even close. The cuts aren't even close.

You are rewriting history, peen. And I am not sure why you are stooping to that level???

C
Legend
Legend
C
Netflix player

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Depo provides information. It's up to others to buy.

That's my take as well, peen...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
V
Legend
Legend
V
Thank God that Dorsey did not "buy" and actually acquired real talent.

Not asking you guys to agree. That is just "my take."

Legend
Legend
Thank God that Dorsey did not "buy" and actually acquired real talent.

Not asking you guys to agree. That is just "my take."

This is just my opinion, But I agree that Dorsey brought a lot of talent to the team. He was our best GM since 1999 and I hated to see him go frown

V
Legend
Legend
V
I was out on a call trying to sell some of my art when I got a text from a bro on here about the news. He said something like "it just keeps getting more unreal." It was a 3-way text and the other dude says something like "I can't believe this crap." I say, "now what?" But, I knew...

First dude says: "your worst nightmare just became official."

Bro, for the first time ever.............I totally lost my faith in the Browns. Others may disagree and I am okay w/that, but I think the Browns made the worst decision that I can ever remember.

I vowed to not root for them again. But, I'm not sure how I will react when the games start again. How do you quit on something that's been your life-long love affair?

I think that is what upsets me the most......those pieces of crap count on our loyalty and what great fans the Browns have had for decades, even though they have given us very little to cheer for since our rebirth. I resent how they take advantage of our loyalty.

Bro, I'm still mad as hell. And hurt as all get out. We finally had a crew that was trending in the right direction and we forced them out and went back to the stench of the guys who have no clue about what "culture" means in football.

This is NOT baseball or basketball. You don't lose a game and play the next day or day after. You play once a freaking week and only 16 games. Losing that much is so freaking hard to overcome.

Sorry for venting, bro. And I am not asking you to agree w/me. I'm just at wit's end w/this franchise.

Legend
Legend
The Brown's drafts were awful when he and his guys were in charge. Dorsey's drafts were far superior. The trades and FA pick-ups aren't even close. The cuts aren't even close.

You are rewriting history, peen. And I am not sure why you are stooping to that level???

Dorsey had more draft capital and cap space than anybody in the history of the NFL. FACTS... please dispute it. Get off his jock.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think one of the things that people are overlooking is what Dorsey did outside of the draft.

He got Landry for a 4th round pick. That is one of the biggest steals in the history of the NFL.

He traded the scrub Kizer for Randall. Yep, Randall kind of lost his cookies this past year, but Kizer stinks beyond belief.

He got a draft pick for Kessler. Seriously.

He got a draft pick for Hogan. I know that sound like I made it up, but he really did.

He stole OBJ from the Giants.

He obtained Hunt who had won a league rushing title for peanuts.

He got a 3rd round pick for Duke after Baker basically made him untradable w/his big mouth.

He got a 4th round pick for Avery after spending a 5th round pick on him and having a DC who would not play him.

He did have some bad moves or at least......questionable moves. The Zeitler for Vernon trade did not work out. I understand it. An edge rusher to compliment Myles was more important than a RG. But, it didn't work out and he deserves some criticism here.

So, not only did he bring in a lot of talent in the draft.........the dude made all kinds of moves that helped the team go from what was widely regarded as the worst roster in the league to one of--if not thee--best in the league!

Haslam is so freaking dumb!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I should stay out, I quit this argument a year ago. It remains the same people making the same arguments without anyone budging from their entrenched positions.

It is my take that Sashi was NOT trying to build the team on the field. Judging him from that point of view misses the point.

His focus was building the assets and resources to attract a real GM, someone like Dorsey. Dorsey would not have taken the job in '16 (if he had been available) because the Browns were a cluster of mismatched players (schematically speaking) and limited resources. The best player on the team was an OL. There were some good players, but aside from Thomas none top tier.

Sashi built the available assets at the cost of the team on the field. He let good players walk in favor of draft picks. He traded picks for more/better picks in the future. The picks he did make, and FA pickups were primarily place holders. He avoided long term contracts. The only real effort he put into (on-field) team building was the drafting of Garrett and the FA pick ups of Zeitler and Tretter. He didn't try to draft a franchise QB so the incoming GM wouldn't be saddled with a QB that didn't match his plan.

This was by design so that the GM when hired, would have a blank canvas and a full warchest of assets to build HIS team. Sashi's goal, in my view, was not to build the team, but to attract the sort of GM who could. Enter John Dorsey.

That the Browns didn't stick with the plan was Haslam's fault. Instead of fostering a cooperative work atmosphere, he instead created an atmosphere of competition and in-fighting.

1. #GMstrong
4. ClemenZa #1
V
Legend
Legend
V
I respect that you liked Sashi's plan. I really respect that you made your point w/out insulting other posters like so many others do that think the same way you do.

I truly hope this does not offend you because I think you are a good poster and a good man. We just disagree on some things and that is no big deal in my mind.

I agree w/you about Sashi's plan of tearing it down. My contention w/your POV is that I don't think that drafting bad players and passing on good players was ever part of the plan. Yeah, you can trade out of the 2nd overall pick. Yes, you can trade down. But dawg..........passing on good players and drafting stiffs is not how you build a team.

Sashi and his team had a terrible draft record. That is not news. It's a fact.

I get that you are passionate about believing in Sashi. That's fine. I just respectfully disagree w/your take on him compared to Dorsey and I hope you can accept that, as well.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I agree w/you about Sashi's plan of tearing it down. My contention w/your POV is that I don't think that drafting bad players and passing on good players was ever part of the plan. Yeah, you can trade out of the 2nd overall pick. Yes, you can trade down. But dawg..........passing on good players and drafting stiffs is not how you build a team.

Sashi and his team had a terrible draft record. That is not news. It's a fact.

I get that you are passionate about believing in Sashi. That's fine. I just respectfully disagree w/your take on him compared to Dorsey and I hope you can accept that, as well.
I'm not saying he compared well with Dorsey. Dorsey was the best GM I can remember for the Browns. My point is that Sashi wasn't trying to build the on-field team. He was setting the stage for someone who could. If you draft a promising prospect, and the new GM is building a scheme where he doesn't fit well, have you helped the team in the long run? How about a pocket statue style QB when the GM will want a mobile QB.

You have faulted Sashi for passing on talents like Wentz and Watson, and I agree, had he been trying to build a team he should have drafted one or the other. They say the fate of a GM is tied to the QB he picks. Sashi didn't want to make such a critical decision and saddle the eventual GM with a first round QB that didn't fit his plan. So instead he picked up place holders like Kessler, Griffin, and Hogan and let Dorsey pick HIS QB.

1. #GMstrong
4. ClemenZa #1
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Andrew Berry & FO Continued

Link Copied to Clipboard