O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: FATE
Originally Posted By: YepTheBrownsRule
Originally Posted By: Dave
Quote:
You find it odd that people who typically lean right won’t believe people use racial slurs?

Stereotype much? I "lean right" politically and I tend towards believing Myles, even though the truth is we simply can't know for sure whether it happened or not.

If the NFL released audio of the event, we'd at least be reasonably sure one way or the other. With them ducking it, we're only left to speculate. That leads me to believe Garrett...

There will never be any audio.

The NFL's use of mics on players comes with a poison pill. The agreement with the NFLPA states that any player can have audio sequestered if he deems it derogatory or can be used against him in any way. Mason can use every racial slur in the world on a weekly basis and simply tell the league to destroy the evidence after the game.

Where TMZ comes in is what do they actually do with the audio? Do they keep a copy and archive it?

Also, IIRC the wording of who gets mic'd up when left some room for doubt whether this is audio of the alleged slur. The latest screen grab of the NFL rules on mic'ing doesn't tell me that Mason was definitely mic'd up. Even if Pouncey was mic'd up, his might not have picked up what was said when Mason and Garrett were rolling around on the ground.

For me, I'm content to simply believe Garrett while resigned to the fact that no audio will emerge.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
How would TMZ have audio?

Pouncy was mic'd, all centers are. Well, I shouldn't was all, in rare cases it is a guard. I don't think he was close enough to the initial action.

Bottom line: There was probably no audio... If there was, Mason told the NFL to put it in a vault, with impunity.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
S
Legend
Legend
S
How would TMZ have audio?

Leaked to them by someone within the nfl.

Not saying they do or don't, but that's usually how TMZ goes about their business, and they have become quite reputable over the years.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist
You find it odd that people who typically lean right won’t believe people use racial slurs?

These are the same people who think racism ended back in 1965. Hard to relate or believe something when you never venture outside of your bubble.

Or maybe its just that people decided its not worth trying to keep up with the double standards when it comes to claims about race.

2 people can make equivalent racial statements and the aggrieved community will be up in arms over 1 of them and swear off any support whatsoever but when it comes to person #2... have milquetoast response and still throw their support their way.

It happens in all sorts of scenarios and in all sorts of directions.

Its not about what was said.. its about who said it.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
How about this theory:

Could both of them be telling the truth?

Myles hears someone call him that but it wasn't Rudolph who said it?

Who was it initially holding Myles back? DeCastro? Then you got Pouncey streaking in.. could have been either of them who said it, but Myles focusing on Rudolph thinks he's the one who said it? I mean, there's a fine societal line between "er" and "a"... auditory exclusion is a real thing when your all amped up. Could be Myles just wasn't in the right frame of mind to accurately determine who said it, how it was said, and if they are allowed to say it.

That's my theory.

Last edited by DevilDawg2847; 02/20/20 06:21 AM. Reason: Epstein's killer is still on the loose

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
F
Rookie
Rookie
F
Rudolph would need to prove that Garrett's allegation was indeed false to succeed in a defamation lawsuit. Burden of proof on the Plaintiff. Truthful statements cannot be slanderous. Also, any existing audio would be discoverable as part of any lawsuit, so no way to sue and succeed while "hiding" the audio if any exist. NFL officials would also be deposed by defense counsel and asked under oath about any audio. Hence, I would not put it past the NFL to lean on Rudolph to also let this go.

I beleive Garrett. But I am biased as hell.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: FrankPitts
I beleive Garrett. But I am biased as hell.

Same same

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed. At this point, I just wish everyone would drop it and move on. It was an unfortunate, ugly incident that I'm sure everyone wishes never happened.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I agree with the caveat that I wouldn't mind seeing Rudolph labeled a racist on top of not being good enough for the NFL and then watching Tomlin do the PR dance required for defending a racist.

-PrplPplEater
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
Agreed. At this point, I just wish everyone would drop it and move on. It was an unfortunate, ugly incident that I'm sure everyone wishes never happened.

The problem is "our" guy brought it up. I hope he has proof if it goes to court.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I could see Tomlin taking Rudolph's side in this, even if he said it. He risks losing a 3rd string pos qb while we risk one of the best pass rushers in the league.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
I agree with the caveat that I wouldn't mind seeing Rudolph labeled a racist on top of not being good enough for the NFL and then watching Tomlin do the PR dance required for defending a racist.

I think Tomlin is a guy who is a straight-shooter.

I don't know the truth of what was said, what was maybe misinterpreted, or what was not said.

I do wish Myles would not have brought this up again after his reinstatement. He's actually invited more scrutiny on the national level [not on here or locally] than he would have if had just let it go.

Let it go, bro!

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Why should he have to "let it go" if he's called a terrible racial slur?

Justice is justice. Minorities are still not listened to over the majority in a large swath of society, still. Institutionalized racism runs rampant in the NFL, and one can look at the "shut up about politics and stand during the anthem" as a "dance minstrel, dance" type argument.

By no means is being called a racial slur a license to bash someone over the head. At the same time, racists should be held accountable.

It's not that hard.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Because he can't prove that Mason said it. Also, all the evidence points to Mason not saying it. Thus, Myles looks like a liar who is using the "racial slur" angle as a defense for his actions. This makes him look bad.

I am not saying that Myles is lying. I am saying he has no proof. I am also saying the evidence indicates that Rudolph did not say what Myles has accused him.

That is why I say "let it go."

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Sounds like the NFL has the tape but they won’t let it go.

A
Legend
Legend
A

That's the thing. IF prove exists (audio recording), as someone else, or several others mentioned, the CBA allows the person recorded to decide if they will allow the audio to be released or not.

So, IF audio exists of him saying that, he is allowed to not let it be released. At least that's my understanding based on what others have said.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg

That's the thing. IF prove exists (audio recording), as someone else, or several others mentioned, the CBA allows the person recorded to decide if they will allow the audio to be released or not.

So, IF audio exists of him saying that, he is allowed to not let it be released. At least that's my understanding based on what others have said.

Yes.

Article 51 instructs that sound captured for purposes of NFL programming can’t be used during the game in which the player is mic’d without his prior permission. In addition, the player (or his selected team representative) has the right to “embargo” any sound that the player views as “extremely sensitive or inappropriate.” Players can also embargo sound that reflects confidential communications or discussions that could place the player or his team at a competitive disadvantage. Players have 24 hours upon receipt of the sound to issue an embargo. If they do so, the objection would be directed towards NFL Films.

Legend
Legend
If it really happened as Myles said, I would guess that he would happily accept being sued, so that he could subpoena the audio from that game.

That could also be why that whiny Steelers QB and his agent keep talking about suing Myles, but no suit (to our knowledge) has been filed.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Maybe the NFL isnt letting us see the evidence. Hours after this happened a black announcer mentioned there must have been something said to send him off like that. I believe it was said. I dont have any proof.

Joe Thomas #73
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Also, all the evidence points to Mason not saying it.

A lack of evidence and denial is not evidence at all. Possibly withholding evidence isn't helpful to getting an answer either.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Okay, I think you guys are misinterpreting my intent. I support Myles. I don't support Mason.

However, given the information that is available, I think it would be wise to move on.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I wasn't questioning whether you supported Myles or not. I've always known that you like him. I'm just not sure where you drew your conclusion about "based on the evidence"? We have found out that a player can block anything that was miced up. We know that no other Browns player was close enough to either confirm or deny. So I'm just confused about what evidence you were referring to.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Yes.

Article 51 instructs that sound captured for purposes of NFL programming can’t be used during the game in which the player is mic’d without his prior permission. In addition, the player (or his selected team representative) has the right to “embargo” any sound that the player views as “extremely sensitive or inappropriate.” Players can also embargo sound that reflects confidential communications or discussions that could place the player or his team at a competitive disadvantage. Players have 24 hours upon receipt of the sound to issue an embargo. If they do so, the objection would be directed towards NFL Films.

In the event of things going to court - if it came to that - a subpoena should be all it takes to override all of that.

The CBA is not above the courts.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

V
Legend
Legend
V
My point that no evidence has been uncovered that proves that Mason said that. I am not saying that Myles didn't think he heard it, but he can't prove it. Even black dudes like Steven A. Smith and Wilbaum are questioning his accusations.

Myles was reinstated. I think it would have been wise of him to move on. I think bringing it up again is turning public opinion against him. I'm not talking about the opinion of Brown's fans. I am talking about the general consensus.

That is just my opinion. Not asking you--or anyone else--to agree. Just voicing my opinion on the situation.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

Yes.

In the event of things going to court - if it came to that - a subpoena should be all it takes to override all of that.

"We don't save the tapes."... or the original gets chopped, whichever seems more plausible at the time. Bottom line, if that day ever comes, there is no way anything is released with those words, whether they were ever said or not. The NFL would immediately label itself a racist organization.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Here is the thing though. Myles tried to keep the allegation behind closed doors. Once the media got a hold of it. It was no longer in his control. What is he supposed to do? Never be interviewed again for his lifetime? That is unrealistic. And it is also unrealistic to expect the media to never ask him the question again.

So now he is doomed if he, does and doomed if he doesn't. If he doesn't say anything, people look at him as if he is a race baiter because he didn't stand behind his claim. If he continues to say something, he is criticized as we see him being criticized for "not letting go". If you are doomed either way...you might as well do it...

I think he has been consistent in how he has approached all of this...and when it comes to Mason...I can't help but think of the old saying..."Me thinks he doth protest too much". It is not so much that he protests it is the manner in which he protests...a little loudly and over reactionary IMO. I have no proof, just my own observation. Maybe I am biased. But it does seem a bit over the top...Which makes me think that the possibility of it having been said to be better than the normal "unlikely" scenario of it these racially sensitive days.

Something was said, yet if Mason did not say what Myles claims...why isn't anyone asking him what he DID say???

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
O
Legend
Legend
O

Yes.

"We don't save the tapes."... or the original gets chopped, whichever seems more plausible at the time. Bottom line, if that day ever comes, there is no way anything is released with those words, whether they were ever said or not. The NFL would immediately label itself a racist organization.

One thing people aren't considering is that there might not be any tape. Mason might not have been mic'd up.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

I was watching that melee and waiting for someone to tear his hat off and smack him over the head. rofl

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Originally Posted By: oobernoober

I think Tomlin is a guy who is a straight-shooter.

I don't know the truth of what was said, what was maybe misinterpreted, or what was not said.

I do wish Myles would not have brought this up again after his reinstatement. He's actually invited more scrutiny on the national level [not on here or locally] than he would have if had just let it go.

Let it go, bro!
I think Tomlin was on the sideline, and couldn't hear it one way or another. I am sure he asked guys on the field, and they probably said they didn't hear either.

Was it ever said WHEN it was said. I thought it was alluded that he said it when Myles was on top of him, that's why Myles grabbed his helmet and pulled him up on his feet. Then he was charged and Myles swung the helmet.

If that was the case, its possible NO ONE hear it because they physically were too far away, surrounded by 60K fans screaming.

I don't think Tomlin is lying or hiding anything, I think Tomlin asked his QB, and asked his other players. Mason said he didn't say it, the others said they didn't hear it. Enough for Tomlin to have it settled for him.

I agree, Tomlin seems to be a straight-shooter, however he did try to trip a player on the field once, so who knows.

Legend
Legend
Quick question:

In the recent interview, did Myles broach the topic, or did he simply respond to a direct question about it?

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Quick question:

In the recent interview, did Myles broach the topic, or did he simply respond to a direct question about it?

Mina asked him, he answered.

Now, the question was probably cleared by him and his agent, so it's unlikely it was a surprise. Meaning, they agreed to talk about it and were ready to answer with a prepared comment.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quick question:

Here is the interview. The answer to your question and the context will be answered w/in a minute.

C
Legend
Legend
C

Legend
Legend
ARUSHA, Tanzania — Myles Garrett loved dinosaurs. Many children his age did — this was the era of “Jurassic Park” — but Garrett’s interest went beyond hard plastic toys and a stuffed tyrannosaurus. On summer days, he would venture to the yard of his family’s home in Arlington, Texas, dragging a shovel behind him.

He would size up the terrain, find that perfect spot, and then he would dig. You see, Garrett didn’t just love dinosaurs. He believed with all his young heart that he was meant to find dinosaur bones, and that this discovery would occur just outside his back door.

Garrett would dig and dig and dig. If he found nothing, if an empty hole threatened to sap his belief, he would just move to another spot in the yard. A new start. New promise. And, quickly, a new hole.

Garrett did this with such enthusiasm that his family’s yard quickly resembled an excavation site. Hole after hole after hole, some 3 feet deep, with small mounds of dirt...

---------

I need your password...

Last edited by GratefulDawg; 03/09/20 12:56 PM.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Myles Garrett is ascending into Heaven.

No Craps Given
P
Legend
Legend
P
Eventually, but let's not rush it.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
That was a great read.

Nice job by Tom Reed.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
I need your password...

https://theathletic.com/checkout?pc=raf4...source=referral

R
Rookie
Rookie
R
this is why I will never go to another NFL game.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Myles Garrett Part 4

Link Copied to Clipboard