Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Legend
Legend
Good breakdown thanks

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Rookie
Rookie
R
what jersey number do you think he will get?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: runback
i love a FB in the 40s ... 44 would be my vote, but it’s Taki Taki’s ... so I’ll say 42

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
I like 39, 41, 46, and 48 for FBs. They are slow, but strong #'s.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
i love a FB in the 40s ... 44 would be my vote, but it’s Taki Taki’s ... so I’ll say 42

44 belongs to Leroy Kelly, to me, it always will.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Wish I would have those good memories of Browns players. However, I don’t lol. 44 reminds me of Lee Suggs ... what a legend

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

44 belongs to Leroy Kelly, to me, it always will.

Kelly is my all time favorite Brown I grew up watching him, no one I mean no one could run on a muddy field like Leroy Kelly ...

Last edited by PastorMarc; 04/04/20 02:21 PM.

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
P
Legend
Legend
P
I guess there's two ways of looking at that. Those of us who have those memories miss the things we had. Some say it's harder to miss something you've never had.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Originally Posted By: Dave
I like 39, 41, 46, and 48 for FBs. They are slow, but strong #'s.

My vote would be 00. But that's because I was a fullback in grade school and that was my number.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I got a feeling, that in this offense Janovich will quickly become a fan favorite. He is another weapon on a weapon filled offense.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Legend
Legend
I agree

V
Legend
Legend
V
Has he recovered from his injury?

Legend
Legend
Hope he turns into another Mike Alstott.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Has he recovered from his injury?

He's doing push-ups, so the elbow must be pretty well healed I would think. (CBD broadcast).

V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks.

Legend
Legend
The fullback is back in Cleveland and Andy Janovich is ready to ‘kick your butt’
https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/08...-your-butt.html

By Dan Labbe, cleveland.com
BEREA, Ohio -- A few minutes before new Browns fullback Andy Janovich spoke to the media on Saturday, Kevin Stefanski gave an apt description of his lead battering ram.

“I think once you talk to Andy, you will get a feel for what a fullback looks like and sounds like,” Stefanski said.

Even over a screen on Zoom, the 6-foot-1, 238 pound Janovich looked exactly like someone you don’t want to run into in a hole, especially with Nick Chubb or Kareem Hunt trailing behind him.

“It is just me versus you,” Janovich said when asked what he loves about playing fullback. “I am going move you out of the hole, whether hell or high water. That is pretty much all it is. I am going to kick your butt every time I go against you.”

The fullback is back in Cleveland and we have Stefanski to thank. He said the position brings a level of toughness to the field.

“There is a versatility to that position and what you can do with them in the run and the pass game,” Stefanski said. “I think it can help dictate certain looks that you want to see from the defense. I just think it is a nice utility piece for us.”

Janovich sees the position as more than a utility piece.

“I think they are pretty awesome,” he said, “and everybody should have at least three of them.”

OK, maybe three would be a little overboard, but making Stefanski pick between whether he likes fullbacks or tight ends more would probably be like asking him to pick his favorite child. The Browns’ new head coach had fullback C.J. Ham on the field for 223 snaps last season in Minnesota, according to data from Pro Football Focus, one snap behind 49ers fullback Kyle Juszczyk.

The fullback, not so long ago, was viewed as a dying position as offenses moved towards smaller, faster players, stealing spread concepts from the college game. The pendulum is starting to swing back, at least a little, especially after Kyle Shanahan’s success with San Francisco and his emphasis on bigger personnel. Sunday Night Football’s Cris Collinsworth, who bought a majority stake in PFF a few years ago, even entertained the idea of adding a fullback assist statistic at the urging of the hosts of the podcast “Pardon My Take.”

Stefanski brings a similar philosophy and emphasis on big personnel as Shanahan with him to Cleveland and GM Andrew Berry obliged this offseason by acquring tight end Austin Hooper in free agency, tight end Harrison Bryant in the draft and Janovich via a trade.

Stefanski said in an AMA (Ask Me Anything) Q&A on Reddit this offseason, “I have a healthy respect for the fullback position.”

He has a willing participant in Janovich, who is ready for whatever Stefanski throws at him this season.

“You kind of have to be ready to do a little bit of everything,” Janovich said. “If we have a running back go down, I have to be ready to line up in the backfield as a running back. A tight end snap, if he is out, I have to be ready to put my hand in the dirt on the line. They kind of have me working a little bit of everything, just kind of that guy who is there if you need him. Hopefully, they don’t put me at kicker or quarterback, but if they asked me to, I would.”

Running backs coach Stump Mitchell praised Janovich’s decision-making on Thursday, saying he shows guys video of him.

“He is the eyes for the running backs,” Mitchell said. “When you are talking about two backs, he is the eyes for that halfback, and also, those guys are good in pass protection if we needed to use them as a third-down back. It is just great to have the guy that we have.”

Fellow running back Kareem Hunt, who did a little work as a fullback after returning from his suspension in 2019, appreciates running behind a fullback.

“They kind of go handle the dirty work,” Hunt said, “and we kind of just run the other way usually after a fullback goes and hopefully blows somebody up.”

Janovich isn’t alone on the Browns. They also have fullback Johnny Stanton in camp, a converted quarterback who took Janovich by surprise when he saw him here in Cleveland. The two were together at the University of Nebraska for a brief stint.

“I had no idea he converted to fullback with the Vikings, I was like, ‘You have to be kidding me,’” Janovich said. “He is a huge dude. He is like 265 pounds. Like what? How were you ever even quarterback? You are huge. He is a super nice guy. Love him to death. He lays the wood.”

Janovich is healthy again after appearing in just seven games last season in Denver due to a season-ending elbow injury. He appeared in all 32 games in 2017 and 2018 after playing in 11 games his rookie season.

His goal this season is a simple one.

“I just want to win games,” he said. “At the end of the day, I do not care that much if I am a Pro Bowler or not; I just want to be on a winning team again.”

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Below is Johnny Stanton's Pro Day performance, March 28, 2018.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend

Impressive.

Hell of athlete. Dude is big, strong, moves well.

Maybe he has found his niche at fullback.

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Great bench! Truly ready to play as far as drills go. I liked his concentration, his focus especially.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Andy Janovich wants to kick your ass

Look out. The Cleveland Browns are a force once again. And the guy who may be the difference is this Busch Light-loving, facemask-shattering "hammerhead" fullback wrecking everything in his path.

https://golongtd.substack.com/p/andy-janovich-wants-to-kick-your

This conversation should be had over beers. It’s a crisp autumn day so, right about now, we should be at least four cold ones deep. Because this is Andy Janovich and that’s his style.

The Cleveland Browns fullback is a simple man, too. He doesn’t experiment with stouts or sours or seltzers or IPAs. He’s disgusted at the suggestion of an IPA, honestly. Janovich pounds Busch Lights and Busch Lights only.

“As far as I’m concerned,” he says, “that’s the only beer.”

They are tasty, sure, but also quite functional.

“You might get drunk by the end of the night,” Janovich says, “but you can drink ‘em all damn day.”

If that’s not poetry, I don’t know what is.

Which begs the question: How is Andy Janovich not a spokesman for Busch Light yet? He hunts. He fishes. He chops trees down. He builds houses and decks and can grow a beard on demand. Not just any beard, either. If Janovich told you he was just living in the Appalachians for a month off bear meat and puddle water, you’d believe him. On Sundays, he mashes 238 pounds of muscle into other humans. And when the day’s work is done you can almost picture him lumbering to the fridge, reaching for a beer and.... Ksshh!

What a beautiful commercial that’d be.

Not that Janovich is holding his breath. He can’t see a beer company wasting its money on a guy like him and he’s sure the last thing the NFL wants is to see a player glorifying alcohol.

And yet…

“I love to drink it. If they sponsored me, I’d still do it. I don’t care.”

Because this is who Andy Janovich is.

A certified American badass who worked 12-plus-hour days building things as a kid.

A “hammerhead” (yes, that’s a real nickname he’s had) who didn’t idolize Barry Sanders or Emmitt Smith or LaDainian Tomlinson. No, he looked up to the immortal… Cory Schlesinger, the hammerhead fullback blocking for Sanders. Because it’s simple, really: There’s nothing in sports quite like the fullback position to him. Janovich gets to tee off on fools with a five- or 10-yard running start all game and does it with more blunt force than any other fullback in the league as the pair of busted-up facemasks stored somewhere in his new home will attest. (The Broncos literally did not have equipment that could handle Janovich’s physicality his first NFL game.)

He’s someone who sincerely does not care if he damages any part of his body between the lines because he enjoys the pain. When his elbow bent out of place last season, Janovich even tried to pop it back in himself. (Not a finger, an elbow.)

He’s a hunter who’ll shoot whitetail and turkey and, well, yeah, “anything that moves” in the woods. He didn’t have his own bachelor party in Vegas or South Beach. You kidding? Janovich brought his crew to the party-rockin’ village of Taylor, Neb., population: 186, right in his home state, to hunt prairie dogs. How does that go down exactly? Easy. “You just go out there,” he explains, “get a case of beer, wait for prairie dogs to show up and just shoot ‘em. It’s awesome.”

He’s a throwback who sees a general lack of toughness at his position.

A Nebraska wrestler who relishes 1-on-1 combat.

A new Dad, too. A newborn daughter will, no doubt, bring out his softer side.

There isn’t anyone like Andy Janovich who’s precisely what the Cleveland Browns — an abomination for 20 years — need if they’re going to, once and for all, contend. This week will be telling. The 8-3 Browns travel to the 8-3 Tennessee Titans. Both teams want to bludgeon you over the head with a hammer. Both teams may run the ball 40-plus times apiece. Our grandfathers will absolutely want to watch this game. And after missing two games on the reserve/COVID-19 list, Janovich is back in the nick of time to pave the way for Cleveland’s 1-2 punch of Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt.

He can help forever change the narrative of Browns football with a mentality that’s as straightforward as a six-pack of Busch Lattes.

Andy Janovich wants to break you.

“I’ll tell ya, that’s why I pride myself in what I do,” Janovich says. “Being able to say ‘I kicked your ass. And there is nothing you can do about.’ There isn’t a better feeling, to say ‘We both had the same head start and I moved you out of the hole two or three yards. I kicked your ass.’ It’s a damn good feeling.

“Kicking somebody else’s ass makes you feel good about yourself.”

So, that’s the plan: keep kicking ass.

A calling

Working with your hands is rapidly becoming a novel concept. Such is the world in which we live — everything is automated. Need a ride? Fire up Uber. Food? Hello, Grubhub. Need anything, at all, fixed around the house? Outsource it through this app, that service and go back to mindlessly scrolling through social media all day. The ramifications are sad. Permanent. An extremely regulated environment turns us all into sedentary blobs.

Unless, of course, you’ve been actively fighting against this your entire life.

Like Janovich.

He needs to be working, fixing, building. It’s innate. It’s hard for him to explain but he’s always gotten a very real satisfaction out of hard labor. A pride. Maybe because there’s a science to this. As Adam Carolla often discusses on his podcast — most recently here — there’s proven biochemical value to voluntarily pushing your body to its physical limits. To, for example, plunge into ice water or hike on a 110-degree day. The body intrinsically needs resistance against something to flourish instead of being doused in Purell within a climate-controlled society 24/7.

If you need to pop some sound into your ears for an hour, this conversation between Carolla and anthropologist Scott Carney, author of “The Wedge,” is truly worth your time. As Carney explains, think back to our Paleolithic ancestors. They’ve got spears on their back. They’ve got a lion charging against them. They, then, release a flood of “stress hormones” because a lion is trying to tear their head off.

In the real world, that lion doesn’t exist. But working with your hands — “physical problem solving,” as Carolla adds — helps scratch this very primitive itch. It’s essentially the longer version of that cold shower. For whatever reason, work has a negative connotation when such work is so primitive to our species.

Janovich hasn’t heard of this mind-body-soul connection but, as we talk, the more he couldn’t agree more with this all.

This has been his life since he remembers.

He needs that pain.

No wonder he felt so useless upon returning home to Gretna, Neb., last offseason to work on decks and houses with his brothers like old times. He had done this from seventh grade on through college, was drafted in the sixth round of the 2016 NFL Draft and hadn’t been able to help since. After four years off, he was rusty. He couldn’t remember the ins, the outs and those brothers who used to pummel him as a kid let him have it here.

“They were making fun of me the whole time,” Janovich says, “like ‘You f-----g dipshit. You don’t know what you’re doing anymore. Oh, you think you made it big in the NFL!’ They brought me right back down.”

Which is always welcomed. Janovich never wants to stray too far from his roots. And then he details those roots, starting with his Dad. He’s the rock, he’s the longtime car mechanic. He is, son says, “tougher than dirt” and “doesn’t take after anybody.”

Says Janovich: “He taught us [censored]’s not given to you. You have to make it on your own.”

This is a family that’s mastered just about every trade imaginable. If something’s broke, they fix it. He has six brothers and five sisters in all. One brother’s a plumber, another’s an electrician, one’s a painter, one’s a carpenter. For whatever reason society frowns upon trades, encouraging 18-year-olds to instead go to college, attain a degree that may never be used and become mired in debt for decades. Or, as Janovich puts eloquently, “You’ve got these guys going to f-----g art school these days and whatever the hell they’re doing and, guess what, they’re jobless after and $60,000 in debt.”

College wasn’t exactly the end-all, be-all destination here.

Everyone was put to work at a very young age with summers typically spent bailing hay. One summer, when he was 12, Janovich remembers bailing hay for one of his father’s friends three days straight — “sun up to sun down” — and that friend rewarded him afterward with a grand total of… $10. Thinking back, Janovich was given some water those three days so, he jokes, that must’ve come out of his paycheck.

“I was just like, ‘Oh. Neat,’” Janovich says. “I’m f-----g 12 years old and I got paid 10 dollars and I worked 60 hours this past week? For three days? He’s like ‘You’re lucky you got that much.’ Pretty much saying, ‘You ain’t worth a [censored]. You didn’t do anything.’”

But he learned to love it.

He learned to love all the simple things in life. There’s not a cell of materialism in his body.

When he turned pro, Janovich didn’t splurge on anything, no, he purchased a used, blue 2000 Dodge for $1,900.

Upon popping the hood, Janovich realized why he got such a steal, too. This was an old farm truck — corn was everywhere. Fine by him. He proceeded to beat the hell out of it, admitting he did plenty of things he probably shouldn’t talk about if his bosses are reading this. Last winter, the truck kept making terrible, haunting noises even though it had, in Janovich’s words, “only” 147,000 miles on it. So instead of paying the $6,000 it would’ve cost to fix this, Janovich upgraded to a Ford F-150.

This is a Ford family, too. Janovich isn’t pleased to hear I come from a Toyota family while conceding not many vehicles, period, are made in America anymore.

“Even Chevy,” he says. “They claim to be made in America and they ship their [censored] all the way from Mexico or China and it’s assembled in America.”

He hunts. He fishes. There’s something peaceful about sitting alone away from coaches barking in his ear. The “Janovich Olympics” are always a riot, too. Any time everyone’s together — July Fourth, Thanksgiving, Christmas — the whole family comes up with wacky “events” to compete at: Who can blow the best bubble with bubblegum? Who can hula hoop the longest? Who can hold a handstand the longest? A push-up? And around Christmas, they’ve seen who can open up a Hershey’s kiss with mittens on.

So much of his toughness is nature. No doubt, Janovich is most at peace just working his ass off with his brothers. That is fun to him.

So much is nurture, too. There’s another source of toughness here: His biological mother. She died when he was 3 years old. She was diagnosed with thyroid cancer in the very early stages of the disease and while it could’ve been easily cured, Janovich says, Mom was also pregnant. So, she refused treatment until her baby girl was born.

By then, unfortunately, the cancer in Mom had progressed. It was too late.

Andy Janovich knows part of Mom is forever in him. Her toughness. (Her brother was also was an All-American back at Nebraska in the 70s who won a national championship.)

All of this made playing fullback his destiny.

“A lot of people don’t grow up in my type of family,” Janovich says. “It’s a very hard-working family and they don’t give a [censored] what you do — and that just translates right into being a fullback. You just work your ass off every day. You don’t say [censored]. Nobody really appreciates what you.”

Which is, always, what he prefers. Janovich pities teammates like Von Miller (in Denver) and Myles Garrett (in Cleveland), who can’t enjoy a peaceful dinner in public because they’re constantly recognized. Janovich? He can count on one hand the number of times, as a pro, he’s been noticed. Only the most diehard of diehard fans spot him — even then it’s “You’re the fullback.”

Says Janovich: “I show up to a place and people are like ‘Who the f--k’s this guy?’ They don’t give a [censored]. And that’s the way I want it to be.”

True, he’d like to simply destroy whatever’s in his path, collect a paycheck, eat, sleep, repeat.

There’s no hidden source of pent-up aggression here. He was never the hallway bully spoiling for a fight in high school. He’s even quick to say that some of his best friends were, uh, “what you’d call nerds.” In gym, Janovich picked them first on his dodgeball team because he knew they’d help him with his schoolwork, which he couldn’t care less about.

Janovich just relishes the dirty work, the ultra-simple nature of Point A-to-Point B obliteration. Even today, as a pro athlete, he agrees with the high school coach who moved him from tailback to fullback as sophomore because he was “too slow.” Janovich’s running joke is that he ran a “4.8… flat” at the NFL Combine, and he refuses to take any credit for his first touchdown in the NFL. This 28-yard scamper on national TV, he assures, required absolutely zero skill because the defense wasn’t expecting him to carry the ball. Their eyes were peeled on C.J. Anderson.

And as Janovich crossed the goal line that night in Denver, he comically covered the ball up with both hands … with nobody anywhere close to him.

“I got a lot of [censored] for that,” he says. “People were saying, ‘That’s how much confidence you had in your speed.’ And I’m like, ‘Yep, you’re damn right it is because I know I’m slow as [censored]. If somebody comes up from behind me and pulls that thing out, I’m going to get fired.”

He hasn’t been fired since. He is now almost playoff-bound in Cleveland.

We’ve all spent countless hours over-analyzing how Odell Beckham Jr. could catapult the Browns into relevancy, how all these weapons make this offense so, so damn dangerous. (Guilty as charged) When, in reality, the player who could be the difference is this guy that nobody even recognizes in public.

Andy Janovich was born to bash linebackers.

Released into the wild

He hasn’t given any thought to how his body will feel decades from now. At no point has Janovich burnt one calorie of concern on his wellbeing at 50, 60, 70 years old — even as virtually every other ex-fullback who hit like he hits is now eeking ‘n creaking through life.

When football’s over for Janovich, it’s over. He says he’ll still have his two hands. He’ll work.

But what about his brain? After all, it’s Janovich’s job to crash into other humans, often, headfirst. Asked how many times he’s seen stars, the fullback pauses. He contemplates the question for a good three seconds.

“How many people,” he asks, “have seen stars from me? I’ll say that.”

That’s the mentality: Janovich will deliver the punishment.

“You have to be the hammer. Not the nail.”

And, holy, was Janovich the hammer in his NFL debut.

For three hours, he locked horns with one of the toughest players in football history, a linebacker who played with a plate and 11 screws inserted into his right forearm in the Super Bowl seven months prior: Thomas Davis. This was Janovich’s NFL baptism snap, after snap, after snap, after snap. Thinking back, Janovich calls Davis “tougher than dog [censored].” Still is, too. The two faced off again this season in a 34-20 Browns win over the Washington Football Team.

“He does not let down on how hard he hits,” Janovich says. “I mean, he doesn’t care about anything. He just wants to make you feel bad about yourself. Hitting that guy is unbelievable.”

Janovich won the 12-round bout back in that 2016 season opener.

With some collateral damage, of course.

He broke two facemasks. Both, he says, “crumbled” and did not look like facemasks at all.

Clearly Denver did not think Janovich could hit this hard because, initially, they gave him a standard running back’s facemask. Which broke quickly. (“Folded in,” he says.) Then, they tried to cobble together a lineman’s facemask for him. That didn’t last. (“Mangled,” he says.) That season, Janovich admits the Broncos essentially turned him into a crash-test dummy. Companies would send the team various types of facemasks and he’d try them out.

Then, sadly, there was no combination of metal or pads or caution capable of protecting Janovich last season. First, there was the torn pectoral muscle. In the preseason, against Seattle, Janovich says he got lazy on the punt team. It was the last play of the game. He lackadaisically stuck his arm out and “over-extended” himself.

That sidelined him for seven weeks.

Then, the dislocated elbow shut him down for the year.

You can see the wincing injury here. Denver was at Minnesota’s 14-yard line with two minutes left in the half when Janovich caught a pass in the flat, was tackled, tried to absorb the landing with his right arm and… his elbow bent a direction an elbow should never bend. The arm swelled up instantly — “it felt like there was a golf ball in my forearm,” he says — and, only God knows why, one thought crossed his mind: I’m going to pop this sucker back! Dr. Janovich M.D. tried re-jamming his elbow back into place and nothing budged. Head coach Vic Fangio screamed and cussed at him to get off the field because time was ticking and when Janovich trotted off to the sideline, he remembers telling trainer Vince Garcia that he “f----d it up pretty good.’”

He screamed. He even cried. This hurt, bad.

What possessed him to try popping an elbow in? “[censored]. It’s just an elbow.”

He doesn’t know exactly what happened with that joint. It went in. It went out. Who knows? Whatever he did only made it worse.

The Broncos shipped Janovich to Cleveland last offseason and, here, he has helped cement the new, ass-kicking identity of this offense. The Browns lead the NFL in rushing at 161.4 yards per game. Everything tells offenses they should be passing the ball in 2020 — the air numbers, across the league, are absurd. And here are your Browns making Otto Graham and Marion Motley and Jim Brown proud by wearing defenses down for three hours every Sunday. Chubb and Hunt are, by far, the best running back tandem in the NFL.

“It’s like having two fighters in your corner,” Browns offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt said in his press conference last week. “You have Mike Tyson and Evander Holyfield and they both come out in different rounds. You’re facing a fresh guy that can knock you out with a home-run punch every time. That’s how it really feels. Both of those guys are elite backs. To have the ability to keep them fresh and spell each other, it’s a good problem to have for us.”

With Janovich as the team’s spirit animal, the Browns are soft no more.

He loves the pain. Every game is a plunge into that proverbial ice water.

“I think you have to enjoy getting hurt, I suppose,” he says. “You have to be a little dumb to do it. But if you had any regard for your body you wouldn’t do what anybody in the NFL does. At some point, I think you enjoy it.

“I love what I do and can’t imagine not doing it.”

When Janovich looks around the NFL for other ass-kickers, one name certainly comes to mind: Aaron Donald. He gushes over the Rams’ wrecking ball of a defensive tackle. (“Holy [censored]. You watch that guy’s film, put it on. I would hate to be an offensive lineman trying to block that guy.”) But other fullbacks? That are ass-kickers? The position of Marv Hubbard and Tom Rathman and Daryl Johnston and Lorenzo Neal? He sees none. He won’t call out anybody by name but Janovich is blunt: He doesn’t see any other fullbacks in the NFL playing the way he does. It’s not a boast, it’s a fact.

Other “fullbacks” split out as receivers. Others are pseudo-halfbacks.

None possess the same temperament.

“You see fullbacks nowadays and it doesn’t seem like they’re willing to run into stuff anymore,” Janovich says. “That’s what your job is. It’s like they’re afraid of contact sometimes.”

One block can win the game. One collision on fourth and 1, to him, can be the difference between winning and losing. That’s his time to shine. That’s why he looked up to a guy like Schlesinger. Nobody’s recognizing Schlesinger anywhere, either. He had double-digit carries in only three of 12 pro seasons. But he lit linebackers up to help pave Barry Sanders’ way to Canton. These Browns absolutely need Janovich to clear the way in their “fourth-and-1” moment.

His adrenaline spikes just thinking about that scenario.

That collision with so much on a line.

Says Janovich: “Are you going to beat this linebacker or is he going to beat you? That’s all it comes down to. Who’s going to win? Are you going to let him win or are you going to win?”

No wonder he was overwhelmed with pride when Rathman — now a Colts running backs coach — approached him before Indy’s game at Cleveland. Janovich was catching kicks in pregame when Rathman told Janovich he is going to be in the NFL for a very long time. Janovich even imitates Rathman’s gnarly voice here — it’s unforgettable. He figured he must be doing something right if a legend approved. It felt good to know that generation appreciates someone from this generation because this one has its priorities out of whack.

He doesn’t even use his own Instagram. His wife posts all the pictures on that account.

He has a Twitter but only for news purposes.

He’s pretty ashamed he even has both. (Don’t tell Rathman.)

“I think a lot of old fullbacks,” he says, “would punch me in the face if they saw I even had a Twitter or an Instagram.”

Because those apps turn us humans into lemmings. Soft lemmings. And he is not soft.

He’s still using his hands. It’s just that he’s barreling into linebackers with ‘em instead of building a deck.

Now, it’s go time. The Browns haven’t been playing this great this late into a season since 1969. The hype is real and spectacular. They’ll likely end their 17-year playoff drought with sights set on so much more. And the key to ending everyone’s (emotional) pain is a fullback inflicting so much (physical) pain on every opponent and himself. Whenever locals can all spill back into the city again, Janovich will blend right in.

You probably won’t notice the fullback, and that’s fine by him.

He’ll be the guy in the beard with a Busch Light.

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Yuk..Busch lite.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
Yuk..Busch lite.

While I am completely 100% on board with passing on stouts, IPAs, seltzers and the like ... I have to agree with this. Busch lite is Yuk.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
I like Bush NA. Drinking one right now.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
an article on our FB and the only takeaway is that he is a drunk.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
that was the longest article I have ever read. Good stuff. He's the hammer and the opposing defenders are the nail. got it.

also found this funny:

Because those apps turn us humans into lemmings. Soft lemmings. And he is not soft.

He’s still using his hands. It’s just that he’s barreling into linebackers with ‘em instead of building a deck.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

https://golongtd.substack.com/p/andy-janovich-wants-to-kick-your

1 - The Cleveland Browns fullback is a simple man, too. He doesn’t experiment with stouts or sours or seltzers or IPAs. He’s disgusted at the suggestion of an IPA, honestly. Janovich pounds Busch Lights and Busch Lights only.

2 - This is a Ford family, too. Janovich isn’t pleased to hear I come from a Toyota family while conceding not many vehicles, period, are made in America anymore.

3 - “A lot of people don’t grow up in my type of family,” Janovich says. “It’s a very hard-working family and they don’t give a **** what you do — and that just translates right into being a fullback. You just work your ass off every day. You don’t say ****. Nobody really appreciates what you.”

True, he’d like to simply destroy whatever’s in his path, collect a paycheck, eat, sleep, repeat.

4 - Janovich just relishes the dirty work, the ultra-simple nature of Point A-to-Point B obliteration. Even today, as a pro athlete, he agrees with the high school coach who moved him from tailback to fullback as sophomore because he was “too slow.” Janovich’s running joke is that he ran a “4.8… flat” at the NFL Combine, and he refuses to take any credit for his first touchdown in the NFL.

5 - We’ve all spent countless hours over-analyzing how Odell Beckham Jr. could catapult the Browns into relevancy, how all these weapons make this offense so, so damn dangerous. (Guilty as charged) When, in reality, the player who could be the difference is this guy that nobody even recognizes in public.

Andy Janovich was born to bash linebackers.

6 - “I think you have to enjoy getting hurt, I suppose,” he says. “You have to be a little dumb to do it. But if you had any regard for your body you wouldn’t do what anybody in the NFL does. At some point, I think you enjoy it.

“I think a lot of old fullbacks,” he says, “would punch me in the face if they saw I even had a Twitter or an Instagram.”

7 -You probably won’t notice the fullback, and that’s fine by him.

As far as #3-#7 go, it sure is nice to have a guy like this on the Browns again. It seems like it's been since the old days that we could point to a FB with this mentality. Yes, there have been some exceptions.

#2: I love that.

Regarding #1: Many years ago when I still drank, cheap beer was very close to my heart. I think he may have something here.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
“Kicking somebody else’s ass makes you feel good about yourself.”

rofl

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
AZBrown #1821382 12/02/20 10:24 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Yes, there have been some exceptions.

Loved me some Lawrence Vickers.

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
Clemdawg #1821387 12/02/20 10:48 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
Quote:
Yes, there have been some exceptions.

Loved me some Lawrence Vickers.

So did Mo Carthon and his playbook.... look for the picture...

rofl

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
That playbook was the epitome of dark Browns humor of the time. I L'dMAO- through bitter tears.

*edit* Hey! I found it!

I also loved that graphic of the CLE OL from back in the day: a revolving door, a turnstile, a matador... wish I could remember the other 2 positions...

rofl

Last edited by Clemdawg; 12/03/20 12:09 AM.

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
T
Legend
Legend
T
Reading that article really makes me want them to call up Derrick Willies to the active roster.

Could they Get Derrick Willies active for the Ravens game please? banghead

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Clemdawg #1821408 12/03/20 06:06 AM
Legend
Legend
Haha man that was classic ... forgot about that

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns trade for Andy Janovich

Link Copied to Clipboard