Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Article from nfl.com

Essentially ranking 57 QBs who started at least one game in 2019 based on the QB Index.

Top 5 are:

T-1 : Lamar Jackson
T-1 : Patrick Mahomes
3: Russell Wilson
4: Drew Brees
5: Deshaun Watson

24: Baker Mayfield

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
V
Legend
Legend
V
How come you use .....

LOL, just messing around.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
How come you use .....

LOL, just messing around.

lol. that wasn't me. haha

V
Legend
Legend
V
I know, bro. I'm just playing about the absurd nature of this forum right now.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 03/26/20 07:19 PM.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Poor Josh Rosen.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Josh Rosen was my guy coming out of college.

I really thought he possessed all the traits of being a good qb. Not crazy athletic, but smart like Brady, Montana, Jimmy G, Brees, etc.

I was completely wrong and his career has been a disaster.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Josh thought he was good too. He said so after he was drafted. The 10 or 11 teams that drafted ahead of his pick all made a mistake according to him.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Josh Rosen was my guy coming out of college.

I really thought he possessed all the traits of being a good qb. Not crazy athletic, but smart like Brady, Montana, Jimmy G, Brees, etc.

I was completely wrong and his career has been a disaster.

you and I both were so wrong it isn't even funny.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
F
Legend
Legend
F
I thought Josh had all the skills and talent, but he also had arrogance, not to be confused with confidence.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Well, we all agree that Rosen has been a disaster, but speaking of arrogance............what are your thoughts on Baker and his terrible showing despite being surrounded by all that talent and choosing his coaches?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
...not to be confused with confidence I thought he said.

"Choosing his own coaches"? Yikes. notallthere

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Josh is what people thought Mayfield was...

V
Legend
Legend
V
Confidence or arrogance?

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Well, we all agree that Rosen has been a disaster, but speaking of arrogance............what are your thoughts on Baker and his terrible showing despite being surrounded by all that talent and choosing his coaches?

I've made up my mind and have given Baker a mulligan for last seasons performance. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't great either. I think he can still be great.

I think there are a lot of things that affected his performance.. coaching/game prep/play calling, o-line, and then his own play.

He appeared as if he over thought things, and tried to force feed his stars, in particular OBJ. I saw so many plays where there's a wide open RB coming out the backfield, or someone open for 3-5 yards, and he ignored it. His confidence in the pocket seemed took a hit as well. 2 seconds after the snap and he's rolling out the pocket trying to make a play on the run.

Here's hoping he bounces back.

V
Legend
Legend
V
He very well could end up being a good qb. He has the arm talent and the moxie.

I worry about his emotional maturity. He reminds me of some of the guys on this board. Adults w/the emotional maturity of a 12 year old.

Hopefully, he will grow up and start acting like a man, instead of a misguided middle school child.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Baker had the best of EVERYTHING...right?

Baker had the best coaching a QB could ask for and a playbook that had been refined by the Browns OC in the off season... a playbook that was cutting edge and so innovative that it gave the Browns offense a huge advantage over the defenses the Browns would face.

The Browns weekly adjustments on offense proved to be such an advantage for the Browns through out the year. Every defensive coordinator that the Browns offense faced in 2019 had an impossible challenge adjusting to the Browns superior playbook.

The Browns offensive game planning and preparation also proved to be superior in every way.

Yep, Baker had the best of everything, right?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
V
Legend
Legend
V
Will you show me where I used the words "best of everything?"

I think I said he was surrounded by talent. Are you claiming that Chubb, Hunt, OBJ, Landry, etc are not talented players? Seriously?

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Will you show me where I used the words "best of everything?"

I think I said he was surrounded by talent. Are you claiming that Chubb, Hunt, OBJ, Landry, etc are not talented players? Seriously?

OH vers..you have to agree with idiots who "made up" this list based on THEIR GREAT KNOWLEDGE of Pro Football and especially their knowledge of QB play.

Absolutely no bias in their review of all the QBs, right?

Everyone you named...they had the same great coaching and the same preperation and that playbook, it had to give our RBs and Wrs such and advantage over the defenses they faced in 2019.

The Browns offensive coaching and preparation was so superior that our RBs and WRs knew each play and each assignment. EVERYONE WAS ALWAYS ON THE SAME PAGE...RIGHT?

Baker and our WRs and RBs had the best coaching and were handed such a superior playbook..such an advantage for the Browns offense, right?

...AND BAKER HAD THE BEST OF EVERYTHING, RIGHT?

Last edited by mac; 03/27/20 08:22 AM.

M
Legend
Legend
M
He reminds me of some of the guys on this board. Adults w/the emotional maturity of a 12 year old.

I do love the non-personal posts. Keep em coming.

As far as Baker is concerned we have to hope like hell that the initial impression Stefanski has made - at least on me - that he is grounded, structured and wants players to be held accountable - has a positive impact on Baker and how he prepares for the season... no one wants to give Baker excuses, everyone wants the coaching to be solid and the players to know the play book and their assignments and let Baker sink or swim based on the efforts and ability of Baker.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Confidence or arrogance?

If we are going dumpster diving lets grab the police video, the 3 mustaches in one day and then there is this:

M
Legend
Legend
M
I basically agree with your post - I think Baker played worse than your summary, especially early season. He played better in a few different games toward the end of the season but he was way off his rookie performance. One of the most alarming issues was how his accuracy disappeared - while I think the offense was a mess and we had opposition players telling the press they knew what plays the Browns were going to run before the snap, there were plenty of throws where Baker had the opportunity to hit an open receiver in stride for a 1st down or big gain and the throw would be grossly inaccurate. . . . But yes, I'm looking to the future and expecting a dramatic improvement.

V
Legend
Legend
V
mac, will you please provide the quote where I said Baker had the best of everything?

I don't even know what the hell you are saying in the rest of that post. But, I think you are defending Baker. That's fine. We're all entitled to our opinions.

My opinion is that Baker played like crap last year. I think he runs his mouth way too much. But, I will not get on your case if you think he played well and didn't bring in negative attention due to his comments. We'll just have to disagree.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
while I think the offense was a mess and we had opposition players telling the press they knew what plays the Browns were going to run before the snap,

I haven’t seen this before. I do know that we were running plays we hadn’t practiced during the week.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
It's true. I remember that.

However, that comment is said dozens of times each and every season about all kinds of teams. It's being used out of context.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Pdawg
Quote:
while I think the offense was a mess and we had opposition players telling the press they knew what plays the Browns were going to run before the snap,

I haven’t seen this before. I do know that we were running plays we hadn’t practiced during the week.

Well running plays not practiced in the week is probably more concerning than the other team saying they knew what play was coming.

I'd be interested to see other reports of these statements - while I've heard that sort of comment at bush league level (sledging) I don't remember another NFL team saying it dozens of times every season. That might be true or it might be another giant stretch of the truth by someone with an agenda. idk

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Rosen - two absolute Dumpster fire organizations.....I think Belicheck loves to stick to his division rivals....if the release Rosen.....NE?

Baker - He has the arm, the brain but does he have the mindset? Seemed to literally and metaphorically "get fat" off his success as a rookie. A lot of that was the situation was a disaster last season but, with a new regime this is probably his make or break year.

Also lets be real....he also joined an absolute dumpster fire of an organization, took them from 1-31 to, 7-9 and 6-10 in a terrible year.

Lamar Jackson has not won a single playoff game, he is not on Patrick Mahommes level......when I saw that hesitation and run down the sideline for a TD in the playoffs I said to myself "He's the best player in the league"....not QB, PLAYER.

Last edited by BpG; 03/27/20 09:06 AM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Baker should be ranked much closer to the bottom based on completion percentage and INTs alone. Not sure how he deserves a lofty 24th.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Some key rankings for Baker:

Completion percentage: 31st

TD percentage: 22nd

Interception percentage: 31st

Yards per pass attempt: 16th

Rating: 31st

QBR: 19th

All but the QBR can be verified here: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/passing.htm

QBR can be found here: https://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr

#liesandagenda

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
mac, will you please provide the quote where I said Baker had the best of everything?

I don't even know what the hell you are saying in the rest of that post. But, I think you are defending Baker. That's fine. We're all entitled to our opinions.

My opinion is that Baker played like crap last year. I think he runs his mouth way too much. But, I will not get on your case if you think he played well and didn't bring in negative attention due to his comments. We'll just have to disagree.

vers...oh, YOU GET IT...I know you do!

Try putting "DID HE"?

Specifically in the areas I pointed out.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: BpG

Lamar Jackson has not won a single playoff game, he is not on Patrick Mahommes level......

He led his team to a 14-2 record, and a first round playoff bye...

Patrick Mahomes level or not.. Lamar Jackson is special. All the QB vs. Player stuff is irrelevant to me.

Legend
Legend
JC

Quote:

RANK

Josh Rosen

Individual Rank: Bhanpuri: 49 | Blair: 51 | Filice: 54 | Parr: 51

2019 regular season stats: 6 games | 53.2 pct | 567 pass yds | 5.2 ypa | 1 pass TD | 5 INT | 13 rush yds | 0 rush TD | 0 fumbles lost

Blair: Rosen's fate, failing to catch on in Miami after being jettisoned by Arizona, will haunt the nightmares of every player -- let alone quarterback -- drafted in the top 10 for generations to come. I can only hope there is an alternate dimension in which he's ready to make the leap in Year 3 with a stable, supportive franchise.

At this point his success will take an alternate dimension lol. Thank God Rosen wasn't chosen in Cleveland.

Thought this was funny:

Quote:

RANK

T-30

Andy Dalton

RANK

T-30

Mitchell Trubisky

There should be two coin flips at the beginning of every Bears game, one for the kickoff and another to determine the starting QB.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk

Lamar Jackson has not won a single playoff game, he is not on Patrick Mahommes level......

He led his team to a 14-2 record, and a first round playoff bye...

Patrick Mahomes level or not.. Lamar Jackson is special. All the QB vs. Player stuff is irrelevant to me.

I mean Mahommes is the best PLAYER not just QB in the league.

I also don't get why people feel the relentless need to defend Jackson. I didn't say anything other than he isn't on the level of the literal best player in the league, that he has not won a playoff game and you felt the need to defend him? Serious question, why do people feel the need to leap out in defense of Jackson for virtually any, no matter how small criticism?

P
Legend
Legend
P
You bring up a good question. One is a pure QB and on is a hybrid player.

Trying to compare the two is silly.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: FATE
JC

Quote:

RANK

Josh Rosen

2019 regular season stats: 6 games | 53.2 pct | 567 pass yds | 5.2 ypa | 1 pass TD | 5 INT | 13 rush yds | 0 rush TD | 0 fumbles lost

Blair: Rosen's fate, failing to catch on in Miami after being jettisoned by Arizona, will haunt the nightmares of every player -- let alone quarterback -- drafted in the top 10 for generations to come. I can only hope there is an alternate dimension in which he's ready to make the leap in Year 3 with a stable, supportive franchise.

At this point his success will take an alternate dimension lol. Thank God Rosen wasn't chosen in Cleveland.

Thought this was funny:

Quote:

RANK

T-30

Andy Dalton

RANK

T-30

Mitchell Trubisky

There should be two coin flips at the beginning of every Bears game, one for the kickoff and another to determine the starting QB.

Isn't Nick Foles the starter?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: rastanplan
Originally Posted By: FATE
JC

Quote:

RANK

Josh Rosen

Thought this was funny:

Quote:

RANK

T-30

Andy Dalton

RANK

T-30

Mitchell Trubisky

Isn't Nick Foles the starter?

Yep lol. You're right. Caught up in all the rumors of Dalton going to the Bears and forgot all about Foles. My bad, thanks for pointing that out. wink

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I also don't get why people feel the relentless need to defend Jackson. I didn't say anything other than he isn't on the level of the literal best player in the league, that he has not won a playoff game and you felt the need to defend him? Serious question, why do people feel the need to leap out in defense of Jackson for virtually any, no matter how small criticism?

You said he hasn't won a playoff game. If you can do that, then why cant I point out that he led his team to a 14-2 record and a playoff bye? Simply saying a guy doesn't have a playoff win doesn't paint the entire picture, and essentially takes a dig at all of his success. Thats just my opinion.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

I also don't get why people feel the relentless need to defend Jackson.

Relentless need? I see more posts that are critical of him than defending him.

I'm going to defend him, though.

--He was 13 and 2 as a starter this year. He went 6 and 1 as a starter last year. That came after the Rats had been struggling under Flacco. I believe they were 4 and 5 before Lamar took over.

--He worked his tail off during the off-season. Worked on his passing mechanics, reads, etc. He didn't take time away from football. He worked to get better.

--This past year, his completion percentage was 66.1 percent w/36 TDs and just 6 interceptions. By contrast, Baker's completion percentage was 59.4 percent w/22 TDs and 21 interceptions.

--Lamar also doesn't say dumb things in the media. He doesn't challenge fans to a fight. He doesn't call out a teammate. He just plays. And wins.

My question is why is Jackson being disrespected while people are defending Baker?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
No one is disrespecting him. Just stating facts here. I thought that was the point, state facts and not deceive people. No?

Your agenda posting is getting out of hand.

Here's a fact, Lamar is 0-2 in the playoffs.

Another fact, the only 2 quarterbacks to "beat" Lamar in the regular season are Mahomes and Mayfield. And one of them you claim didn't work hard in the offseason. Shame on you.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Here's a fact, Lamar is 0-2 in the playoffs.

You obviously weren't really paying much attention last year.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
Baker should be ranked much closer to the bottom based on completion percentage and INTs alone. Not sure how he deserves a lofty 24th.

2018 season.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum QB Index: Ranking Every QB to Start a game in 2019

Link Copied to Clipboard