Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
Legend
Legend
P
The ranking was based off of the 2019 season.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
How many playoff apperences has Baker led the Browns to?
Zero. He has more commericals than playoff appearences. That's not a good sign
If the Browns don't make the playoffs This year
What will the excuses for Baker be?
Lamar is on a different level than Baker
Their isn't one thing relative to the QB position
That Baker does better than Lamar
The only thing Baker does better than Lamar
Is getting to the Cheesecake Factory in and out
In under a hour

C
Legend
Legend
C
Lamar Jackson is miles ahead of Baker Mayfield in terms of talent and on field production. No front office in the NFL, if given the choice, would take Mayfield over Jackson.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Well you know how it is. Desperate times call for desperate measures. wink

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Got to love an off season QB bashing thread.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't think posting stats should be considered "bashing." Then again, I don't think a poster should be permitted to call another deceptive for actually posting facts.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Lamar Jackson is miles ahead of Baker Mayfield in terms of talent and on field production. No front office in the NFL, if given the choice, would take Mayfield over Jackson.

I wonder which support staff other franchises would prefer to support and develop their young QBs...?

...would other franchises prefer the Ravens ownership, front office, head coaches, offensive coordinators and coaching staff?

...OR, would other franchises prefer to have the Browns ownership, front office, head coaches, offensive coordinators and coaching staff?

THINK ABOUT THAT FOR A MINUTE OR TWO...

Lamar Jackson...Steve Bisciotti one of the best owners in the NFL.
.............one head coach, John Harbaugh
.............2 OCs...Marty Mornhinweg, Greg Roman

Baker Mayfield...Jimmy Haslam, known as the worst owner in the NFL.
.................head coaches,3+1=4..Hue Jackson, Greg Williams, Freddie Kitchens in Mayfields first 2 seasons and Stefanski will make Baker's 4th HC.
................3 OCs..Todd Haley, Freddie Kitchen,Todd Monkin and if we add Brad VanPelt, it will make 4 different OCs for Baker.

SO, WHICH franchise is doing a better job of supporting the development of their young QB...the Ravens OR THE BROWNS?

Also, the Ravens made it a goal for 2019 to build their offense around Lamar Jackson.

...the Browns built their offense around Freddie and OBJ.

Anyone that says "it doesn't matter" how a franchise supports and develops their QB..they might be full of crap.

How many QBs have the Browns developed since rejoining the NFL in 1999?

All the Browns ever do is talk about "continuity" and how important it is...then the Browns owners start firing entire coaching staffs and front office folks every couple of years..THAT IS THE BROWNS HISTORY.

Continuity, support and development...characteristics the Browns fail to provide their QBs.

Last edited by mac; 03/28/20 04:09 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I don't think posting stats should be considered "bashing." Then again, I don't think a poster should be permitted to call another deceptive for actually posting facts.

I get what it is. Just making an observation of the replies. Baker sucked last year. I don't even know if he will get better, actually I'm not feeling it is a sure thing. But this is just rehashing the same old argument.

I also don't think I called anybody deceptive.

Last edited by Steubenvillian; 03/28/20 04:13 PM.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

Facts with a glaring lack of perspective are deceiving.

Last edited by WSU Willie; 03/28/20 04:27 PM.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Is there one person who thinks the Browns are a better organization than the Ravens in any way?

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper
H
Lamar is on a different level than Baker
Their isn't one thing relative to the QB position
That Baker does better than Lamar

These things here - based on 2019 - are all true. The question is whether the book is written or whether there are future twists in the story line and improvements to come from Baker. Last year at the same time you would of had to say Baker was a significantly better QB. Although Lamar is always going to be a more dangerous runner. I'm hoping and believe we will see a much better Baker in 2020. But we gotta wait and see. . . . . Unless you want to go on record today and call it, which to my mind would be incorrect and lean on the hating side of the argument.

The rest of the post - cheesecake factory and commercial jabs and the like - meh.

Last edited by mgh888; 03/28/20 04:56 PM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian

I get what it is. Just making an observation of the replies. Baker sucked last year. I don't even know if he will get better, actually I'm not feeling it is a sure thing. But this is just rehashing the same old argument.

No, you didn't. I didn't mean to imply you did. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

This is just a hunch and not an attack, but I think you made your post because you didn't like the criticism of Baker.

However, you did not mention the post that attacked another poster by using words like deceiving, agenda, and facts. One of his facts is that Baker and Mahomes are the only two qbs to beat Lamar. Meanwhile, he ignores that Lamar is 2 and 1 against Baker.

Baker might end up being better than Lamar. I don't know. But, Lamar outperformed Baker last year and it wasn't even close. I can't believe some are debating it.

Wait. Yes, I can believe it.

V
Legend
Legend
V
mac, you are correct that the Rats have a better organization. No doubt about it.

However, I think there is no doubt that Dorsey did everything in his power to help Baker. He gave him the coaches he wanted and he surrounded Baker w/a ton of offensive weapons.

M
Legend
Legend
M
mac, you are correct that the Rats have a better organization. No doubt about it.

However, I think there is no doubt that Dorsey did everything in his power to help Baker. He gave him the coaches he wanted and he surrounded Baker w/a ton of offensive weapons.

I've seen this inferred by you several times. I want to clarify the statement as I don't want to misunderstand - it appears as if you stating that Doresy hired Freddie as the HC based on Baker's preference and desire? Also you used plural - so which coaches did Dorsey hire because of Baker's directive/desire?

Last edited by mgh888; 03/28/20 06:40 PM.

R
Legend
Legend
R
He did hire Freddie based on Baker's desire.

Where Vers is wrong is stating that was good for Baker. Baker has no idea what is good for Baker. Dorsey should have known better. And he paid the price for not doing the right thing by Baker regardless of Baker's wishes.

V
Legend
Legend
V
mac, one other thing. While I think Baker had a lot more in terms of weapons than Lamar did, I will say that Baltimore's OL was superior to the Brown's OL.

Both guys held the ball too long. I'm not going to look it up right now, but I remember reading something like Lamar only faced the 9th most pressures even though he held the ball longer than any other qb. That might not be quite right, but it's something like that.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Did I say that was "good for Baker?" I don't remember saying that. I could be wrong, though.

I thought I said something like Dorsey tried to do all he could to support Baker? If I didn't say that, I want to make it clear that is what I meant.

Are you sure I said "good for Baker" and not really trying to give Baker all he could to be successful?

R
Legend
Legend
R
You said Dorsey did everything in his power to help Baker. I took that to mean you meant he did things that were good for Baker.

In reality Dorsey should have known better. He was the most experienced adult in the room.

It sounded to me you were touting Dorsey honoring Baker's wishes as a good thing. It was anything but.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Is there one person who thinks the Browns are a better organization than the Ravens in any way?

CRF...SURE THERE ARE...all of those who are looking for someone to blame rather than face the truth about what the Browns organization is...

...those who have to have someone to blame..

...those who post on this message board to promote their own agenda..they have to have "someone" to blame!

Those who claim to "know football" but have no problem resorting to "BUSH LEAGUE TACTS" rather than face the truth...that the Browns franchise has sucked, from the top down, to some of our so called Browns fans who just have to have someone to blame for all the Browns poor performances on the field.

I find it so ironic that those who tell the truth about how unprepared FRDDIE WAS, as the the Browns HC/OC, have no problem laying all on Baker Mayfield...it's all Baker's fault that the Browns failed to achieve their imaginary goals.

Some of the very same board members who tout "their knowledge of football".. try to feed other board members a pile of crap, that it is all Baker Mayfield's fault that the Browns did not achieve their "projected goals" in 2019 and ownership, the front office, the HC and coaching staff had no responsibility for the Browns 6-10 record in 2019..IT WAS ALL BAKER MAYFIELD'S FAULT...right boys?

V
Legend
Legend
V
Ahhhh........okay.

I see why you took it that way. That isn't how I meant it. I always thought Dorsey went out of his way to give Baker what he wanted and to surround him w/weapons and people he trusted/preferred.

Btw------I actually think that was smart. It just didn't work out.

Also, here is a video of the decision to hire Freddie instead of Stefanski.

https://www.nbcsports.com/video/baker-mayfield-pushed-browns-promote-freddie-kitchens

V
Legend
Legend
V
Wow. Okay mac. You sound like those other guys.
When you can't debate fairly, attack the poster. We're done.

D
Legend
Legend
D

U can expand that question to almost Every team and u could make the argument all teams in the league ...

This clowns on his 3rd HC in 3 years and his 3rd gm in 4 years ... whose had more instability than that ...

The amazing part ... there’s plenty of teams like 25 or 26 that would love to have the roster we do ... Freddie made it real easy for these guys to look great ... we had plenty of talent and these guys have added to it ... if bake can play ... the skies the limit even with this moronic owner ... thumbsup

L
Legend
Legend
L
Lamar had a fantastic season but TBH, I’d rather have Baker over Lamar. Yeah I’m in Bake’s corner, so I am somewhat bias, but LJ is going to get figured out, and he will take a beating and might have a short career, relatively speaking.

I hope he doesn’t prove me wrong. wink

Screw Baltimore.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
V
Legend
Legend
V
That might happen, but it did not last year.

On the other hand, do you think it's plausible to think that teams "figured" Baker out? Do you think teams might have watched what Gregg Williams did? Do you think he might be a system qb who isn't good at reading coverages? Do you think he holds the ball too long? Or bails out of the pocket too early? Can teams figure those things out?

L
Legend
Legend
L
Yes, all of those are very possible. I know he under-performed in 2019, I also think some was not his own doing. Stupid coaching, an OL that wasn’t that good, bad scheming, some tipped passes that turned into INTs. There were a LOT of those.

I think OBJ was the last thing we needed, and I think he is a great player and want to keep him.

But did BM get too trigger-happy, trying to find him down the field? Maybe.

gmstrong

-----------------

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
He did hire Freddie based on Baker's desire.

Well I watched the video link where 2 talking heads said that this was so. It was obviously a terrible decision - but I always remember the Dorsey quote where he is on record as he flexed his muscles to get Freddie. And maybe he went and did that because Baker said Freddie needed to be the HC? .... but that hadn't been the way I thought it had gone down. I'm shocked an experienced football guy would make such a crucial decision based on a rookie QB.

Last edited by mgh888; 03/28/20 07:53 PM.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I agree w/some of what you said.

I think the coaching was bad.

I don't blame OBJ for Baker's problems. LOL..........that's absurd. Baker could have had Kenny Britt, Corey Coleman, and Ricardo Louis. You are buying into the Dark Sides commentary too much, bro.

The OL was about average in pass blocking according to PFF. They aren't an end-all, but Next Gen stats gave the Brown's pass blocking favorable reviews, as well.

Tipped passes did turn into picks. On the other hand, many of those passes were high, hard fastballs.

I also think he had a lot of would-be picks "dropped."

Look bro............I'm not saying that he can't be a good qb, but he was really, really bad last year while Lamar was the freaking MVP.

Come on.............why are we having this debate?

L
Legend
Legend
L
I’ll add: Baker has very good arm talent, has guts.

I don’t think it’s smart for a QB with his bone structure/size to bulk up. He needs long muscles, needs to be sleeker and nimble on his feet. I think that was BQ’s downfall: he fell in love with the mirror in the weight room.

gmstrong

-----------------

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Wow. Okay mac. You sound like those other guys.
When you can't debate fairly, attack the poster. We're done.

ver...I didn't name anyone, did I?

There is an entire bunch on this message board that is willing to ignore the facts and reality, that the Browns organization failed to support their QB prospect in a NFL professional manner, giving him the worst coaching and support while expecting A PLAYOFF CALIBER performance in 2019.

It was not going to happen with the caliber of coaching and support the franchise gave to Mayfield in 2019. Simply adding big name WRs while ignoring the quality of coaching provided to the QB will not result in instant success.

There is no short cut to success...

Like I said, some of the same board members who tell the truth about Freddie's ability as a HC/OC/playcaller/game manager will turn right around and attempt to lay all the blame on Mayfield, rather than being honest about what happened in 2019.

While some want to lay it all on Mayfield..they know they are wrong to ignore the factors that I bring up. Yep, it might be a little uncomfortable for some to face and some might try to run away from the truth..

...but the Browns have been rotten to core for many years and all of those players who have been drafted by the Browns franchise, deserve better from the ownership, HC, coaching staff as well as some of our fans.

And, lets not leave out some of the Brown ignorant media, who write crap in an effort to stoke an emotional responses from readers who are looking for someone to blame and are willing to "follow", allowing someone else to think for them rather than thinking for themselves.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I wasn’t blaming OBJ, I was trying to say that by having an elite WR like him - and lets face it, elite WRs need/want their targets lol - it was tempting.

I also saw a lot of outright whiffs from our OL last year man, we had some poor blocking at times. I don’t care what the #s say - I know what I saw, much too often.

gmstrong

-----------------

V
Legend
Legend
V
I do agree that Baker has excellent arm talent and a lot of moxie.

I haven't given up on him. In fact, when some guys say to move on from him, I argue that it's too early to do that and we need to make him the starter next year.

I just get sick of all the excuses and attacks on anyone who tries to look at his performance objectively. Look, I don't like the guy as a person. I think he is a piece of crap. But, that doesn't mean I don't want him to succeed. I'm getting older........and my main thing is I want to see the Browns win. I hope Baker can help them accomplish that. Tired of listening to the constant accusations that I am lying and when I provide a link to prove I was telling the truth, they move onto something else. It's a freaking joke!

V
Legend
Legend
V
Lamp.............does Michael Thomas get targeted a lot? Hopkins? Julio Jones? Mike Evans? Did Antonio Brown? Jerry Rice? Randy Moss?

The argument that we threw to OBJ too much blows my mind. I don't think we threw to him enough and I listened to guys who played in the NFL say the very same thing. Get your best player the ball, especially during crunch time.

And yes, you saw whiffs. Guess what, if you cared enough, you would have saw the same damn thing w/every freaking team in the league.

I know the game, bro. And I know what the hell I saw. Baker held the ball too long on too many occasions and he also left the pocket too early too many times.

I'm not saying he didn't get pressured. Of course he did. But, all QBs face pressure.

Look man, I'm trying to educate you. You're a friend. I won't even talk to those other guys anymore. However........I am not asking you to agree......just trying to shed some real insight.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Yeah vers, I know your thoughts on Baker, as a person and a potentially good QB. I know you’re mostly objective and not dug in on one side or the other.

Last edited by lampdogg; 03/28/20 08:14 PM.

gmstrong

-----------------

V
Legend
Legend
V
Sorry for ranting, bro.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Lol! Don’t be sorry.... no need to be. I didn’t even know you were ranting lol.

gmstrong

-----------------

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian

No, you didn't. I didn't mean to imply you did. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

This is just a hunch and not an attack, but I think you made your post because you didn't like the criticism of Baker.

However, you did not mention the post that attacked another poster by using words like deceiving, agenda, and facts. One of his facts is that Baker and Mahomes are the only two qbs to beat Lamar. Meanwhile, he ignores that Lamar is 2 and 1 against Baker.

Baker might end up being better than Lamar. I don't know. But, Lamar outperformed Baker last year and it wasn't even close. I can't believe some are debating it.

It wasn't that they were attacking Baker. Trust me, by the end of the season I was thinking he was done as a starter. So, any criticism he gets, is deserved. The thing with the thread is it is just one of the usual "dead time" posts. It's only purpose was to show how bad baker was. To me it is just redundant to just keep stirring up the bickering. The facts are that he sucked. I saw nothing the proved to me he was a franchise guy, but I'm trying to enter the year with a clear mind and just see what happens.

This team has battered me to the point that I can never REALLY believe they are going to be good. It sucks.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:
But, Lamar outperformed Baker last year and it wasn't even close. I can't believe some are debating it.

Who is debating that? Goodness gracious, talk about making stuff up. You're arguing against yourself here. No one said that. Why do you keep making things up?

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Quote:
But, Lamar outperformed Baker last year and it wasn't even close. I can't believe some are debating it.

Who is debating that? Goodness gracious, talk about making stuff up. You're arguing against yourself here. No one said that. Why do you keep making things up?

It's the standard operating procedure at the moment. It's the same pattern on multiple threads

Legend
Legend

While this MAY be true don't forget RG III was talked about just like Lamar is now.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: GMdawg

While this MAY be true don't forget RG III was talked about just like Lamar is now.

We're gonna play that game?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum QB Index: Ranking Every QB to Start a game in 2019

Link Copied to Clipboard