Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Don't you mean Jimmy's going to be relaying plays in from a homeless guy on game day?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Maybe Stefanski will shoot the call to Callie to then voice in to Baker. There's something soothing about a female voice after all.

If Freddie hadn't screwed this part of the game up so badly it wouldn't get near this much attention in FEBROOO...Febiar….the month before March.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I’m curious how much stock u put into someone calling plays in the pre-season ... its an animal like the regular season but the pre-season is not in the same species of animals as the regular season ... ...

I guess depo has a process in place to figure it out .... rolleyes

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg
Don't you mean Jimmy's going to be relaying plays in from a homeless guy on game day?

No, Depo's going to be running the playbook through his Madden 1.0 simulator.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
I’m curious how much stock u put into someone calling plays in the pre-season ... its an animal like the regular season but the pre-season is not in the same species of animals as the regular season ... ...

I guess depo has a process in place to figure it out .... rolleyes

I don't know, either.... that's not for me to figure out. In the end, just as he said in his intro conference: If he is comfortable with the new OC doing it, then the OC will do it. Otherwise, Stefanski will.

So, either Van Pelt does well enough to make Stefanski comfortable, or he doesn't. It's really pretty simple.

Browns is the Browns

D
Legend
Legend
D
Do u know whose job it is to figure out cause I’d like to know ... *L* ..

R
Legend
Legend
R

Depo!

Legend
Legend

Well, let's review the facts:

Stefanski said that if HE isn't comfortable with the OC, then HE will call the plays. If HE is comfortable, then the OC will get to call them.

So, clearly there is no real information at all on this. It's a complete mystery. Lord Help Us All.

Browns is the Browns

D
Legend
Legend
D
Sweet ... if your gonna be sarcastic .. u oughta get better at it ... thumbsup

Legend
Legend
Oh, believe me, I'm quite skilled at it. wink

Browns is the Browns

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Oh, believe me, I'm quite skilled at it. wink

So that last attempt wasn’t even close to your best work ... *L* ..

Legend
Legend
lol! Touche'

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Sweet ... if your gonna be sarcastic .. u oughta get better at it ... thumbsup

Sarcasm may get you nowhere, but it did get me to the 2019 Sarcasm National Championship.

Legend
Legend
Jimmy still has him locked up in the stadium, right? We are counting on the homeless guy and the Rally Critter to turn it all around.

SShhh! Top Secret!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

This could work out fine, but a negative aspect of this "plan" is that how will Van Pelt feel/react if Stefanski is unhappy enough w/his preseason play-calling to take away those responsibilities?

For some reason, I just thought of that Geico commercial that has Pinocchio as a motivational speaker and telling the one dude towards the front that he has great potential or something like that. The dude looks happy and then Pinocchio's nose starts to grow and the poor guy looks defeated. LOL

M
Legend
Legend
M
Well the 'What if' game has lots of mileage in lots of different areas of this team. I'm sticking with wait and see instead of speculating. Based on Van Pelt knowing there was at least a 50-50 possibility of him not calling plays, you'd think it rationale that this can work out without friction or egos being bent. Stefanski appears to be a genuine manager of people and expectations.

I didn't have Stefanski in my top 3 of preferred HC candidates but so far he's done nothing but impress me .... but that's "easy" in the off season. We'll see what happens come September. What's worrying is that at this stage the only other coach I remember liking as much was Hue.

Last edited by mgh888; 02/25/20 08:13 PM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
F
Legend
Legend
F
it could all be coach speak, since at this point they still are putting together a playbook. And most likely it is more Stephanski's than Van Pelts, so he would want to ensure Van Pelt knows it well enough before giving him the full reign.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
Kevin was better off just saying we're still figuring that out, and ultimately want to do whats best for the team.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
Kevin was better off just saying we're still figuring that out, and ultimately want to do whats best for the team.

Yes, that is what I would have said as a HC. Give the press nothing.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

This could work out fine, but a negative aspect of this "plan" is that how will Van Pelt feel/react if Stefanski is unhappy enough w/his preseason play-calling to take away those responsibilities?

Exactly what went through my head.

Hopefully it all works out and Van Pelt does a good job

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
<sarcasm>Because that has worked well so far....lol </sarcasm>

I really don't think it matter what he said... the media and fans are going to ask the question until it has been settled.

As far as who makes the decision of who calls...I can't see how anyone can think it to be anyone other than Stefanski at this point. Frankly, I am liking his approach to let AVP call in the preseason. It fits to Stefanski who is methodical. This is more information that he can bring in at a time where he is afforded the luxury of doing it. It isn't like he needs practice at calling "his" offense. In some ways I think he hopes AVP takes off and runs with it so he is free to concentrate on other things...but at the same time he will be prepared if that doesn't happen.

Although I am not sure what they will learn from it (the preseason) aside from...how AVP sets up future plays with earlier ones...Is there a rhythm to the offense?? There is no real gameplanning, everything is base. So I think it difficult to determine.

All will be a part of game planning in the regular season. So I am not worried about that...but since there is no real game planning(in the preseason), and lots of experimentation, It is hard or even impossible to determine how well a game plan is implemented.

I get the feeling it will be a comfort call for Stefanski(as opposed to a derivative decision based on specific results). Basing it on the feelings from practices and the preseason. Mostly because there will probably not be a lot of situational play calling done in preseason games.

Last edited by PETE314; 02/26/20 10:25 AM.

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
It seems you feel not having a clue who will be calling the plays this year as a plan.

Actually the clue is Stefanski or Van Pelt.

Ski obviously would prefer to more involved with the entire team and give his time to it. It is something that needs to be honed (play calling) Stefanski wants to know if VP can get that natural feel of the game situations to that of the available playbook. Does he call plays just to call them or are they all connected to each other in thought and execution. Its ok its one of the negatives of starting over again...we of all people should know this. We have to go through this - Year two there usually have all the answers derived from the first year experience.

If VP had a history of play calling it wouldn't be in question.

It shouldn't be perceived as us being inept more so just the nature of the beast. First year with new guys.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: eotab
It seems you feel not having a clue who will be calling the plays this year as a plan.

Actually the clue is Stefanski or Van Pelt.

Ski obviously would prefer to more involved with the entire team and give his time to it. It is something that needs to be honed (play calling) Stefanski wants to know if VP can get that natural feel of the game situations to that of the available playbook. Does he call plays just to call them or are they all connected to each other in thought and execution. Its ok its one of the negatives of starting over again...we of all people should know this. We have to go through this - Year two there usually have all the answers derived from the first year experience.

If VP had a history of play calling it wouldn't be in question.

It shouldn't be perceived as us being inept more so just the nature of the beast. First year with new guys.
Personally, and this is just my take, I have no evidence, but I think Ski wants and will call plays. He is simply placating a lot of the media and fans by letting VP "see" how it goes. He is a smart guy, he knows having a 1st time HC call plays is a hot topic around here that has left a sour taste in a lot of mouths.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
That is an interesting take...I don't necessarily get that vibe from him myself. I don't see him as a placater(is that a word???)...but more of someone who shoots it pretty straight. He seems like someone where people might look too much into what he says looking for something that really isn't there when it was right up front to begin with...

But absolutely he has to know the trepidation we might have with a rookie coach calling plays...I am just not so sure it is a factor in to what he has said to this point about AVP possibly calling.I think the decision truly has not been made. Now whether he is leaning one way or another, I don't know...But I certainly don't think he has already made the decision to call plays and string AVP along (even if AVP would be in on that)

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
Legend
Legend
Is coach Kevin Stefanski being set up to succeed? Let’s talk Cleveland Browns
https://www.cleveland.com/sports/2020/04...and-browns.html

By Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer
IS THERE ALIGNMENT?

I was thinking about some recent Browns history, the connection and communication between the front office and coaching staffs.

That’s especially true because I’ve been impressed with how new GM Andrew Berry and coach Kevin Stefanski have worked together during free agency.

The Browns have been talking “alignment” for a while, and free agency was the first chance for the Berry/Stefanski combination to show it.

“AB (Berry) set out a plan and followed through on it,” Stefanski said. “We identified people who were really important to what we wanted to do and who we wanted to be.”

That was a response to a question I asked on the coach’s recent conference call about the key free agent signings.

“It was so important to get the right players... and the right people,” he said. “They fit the mentality of what we want to be.”

I asked a vague question to learn what Stefanski thought of the first-day, free-agent signings of right tackle Jack Conklin, tight end Austin Hooper and QB Case Keenum.

I was told those players were wanted by Stefanski, and they also fit into the analytics approach to signing free agents who wer in their middle 20s and coming off rookie contracts to long-term deals.

The 32-year-old Keenum is an exception. He is a QB, and they tend to have long careers. He also is a backup to Baker Mayfield, and highly valued because he played for Stefanski (QB coach) in 2017 in Minnesota.

Stefanski said he and the front office asked, “Where do you think we can add some good players who fit our scheme and fit the personality of the locker room?"

This came from a question I asked about Hooper, the former Atlanta Falcons tight end.

“Austin right away checked all those boxes,” said Stefanski. “Credit Andrew and his group for identifying him and getting the deal done... In this system we are running, we want to use multiple tight ends.”

The Browns also want to run the ball.

Conklin is a good overall right tackle, but his strength is run-blocking.

Stefanski almost sounds poetic extolling the virtues of Keenum as a backup QB who also can play when needed.

The trade for fullback Andy Janovich also was something Stefanski wanted. Just as he loves tight ends, he swoons over a hard-blocking, physical fullback.

It’s very early. They have been together for only three months. They haven’t lost a game.

And maybe I’m just being hopeful...

But I have a good vibe about what the Browns have done so far – and it seems different than the recent past.

A HISTORY LESSON

1. Shotgun marriage (2014-15): That was the pairing of GM Ray Farmer and coach Mike Pettine. The two men were rookies in their jobs. They barely knew each other. Throw in a troubled QB Johnny Manziel. There was no direction, just two guys trying to survive and not having much confidence in each other. It was doomed for failure from the start.

2. The analytics (2016-17): The Browns went from an old-line football GM (Farmer) to the new-age style of front office with Paul DePodesta and Sashi Brown. The problem was the pairing of coach Hue Jackson with analytics. Jackson was old school. The losing was killing him. The front office and coaching staff spoke a different language. No chance to succeed.

3. The real players (2018-19): Veteran GM John Dorsey went back to the more traditional style of drafting and acquiring players. He called them “real players.” He upgraded the talent. He had some success with interim coach Gregg Williams (5-3, 2018). But the hiring of overwhelmed rookie head coach Freddie Kitchens in 2019 was yet another example of a poor pairing.

If you want to read more background on this and other recent Browns struggles, my Browns Blues book gives lots of gory details.

CAN WE BE FOOLED AGAIN?

Confession time: I had an uneasy feeling when Dorsey was bringing in some character/personality risks. I hated the idea of trading guard Kevin Zeitler and worried Odell Beckham Jr. could turn into a major distraction. But I was blinded by the Browns success in 2018 when they finished 5-3 (7-8-1 overall). I failed to raise some of the tough questions after those moves after the 2018 season required.

OK, now back to the story...

While the Browns will never say it, Chief Strategy Officer Paul DePodesta emerged from the Dorsey firing with a stronger voice. He put together the searches, and it began with finding a coach.

But looming in the background was the idea of having Andrew Berry return to Cleveland in a more prominent role. He was part of the Sashi Brown front office (2016-17) and worked for a year under Dorsey. Berry spent the 2019 season with the Philadelphia Eagles.

Interesting sidelight: Sashi Brown was preparing Berry to take over as GM in a few years with Brown assuming a big-picture role in the football operations. But Brown was fired after 23 months.

That didn’t diminish the affinity ownership and DePodesta have for Berry.

DePodesta and some others in the front office favored hiring Stefanski as coach in 2019. Ownership went with Kitchens, the choice of Dorsey.

When Kitchens fell apart and DePodesta rose in prominence, Stefanski immediately appeared to be the leading candidate for the job. Rumors soon popped up about Berry coming back.

Others were interviewed for coach and GM, but it ended up being almost where it started... with Stefanski and Berry.

And yes, we heard a lot about “alignment” from ownership, then from Berry and Stefanski.

The GM and coach then developed their own mantra of wanting players who are “smart, tough and accountable.”

The Browns also signed a lot of players (primarily on defense), most to modest one-year contracts.

I asked Stefanski about that: “They may not be the biggest names, but when you are putting together a system, you are looking for systematic fits. I think that’s what we’ve done on offense and defense.”

The draft is coming. More player decisions need to made. The biggest hole to fill is at left tackle.

But so far, the “alignment" seems to be lining up in Stefanski’s favor.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
Stefanski has eight more games than Hue as an OC. That's it in totality. That doesn't mean he will fail. But trying to bolster him as the best thing since sliced bread is pure conjecture and wishful thinking with nothing to base it on.

We all hope for the best but hope is all we have until the bullets start flying.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
"Interesting sidelight: Sashi Brown was preparing Berry to take over as GM in a few years with Brown assuming a big-picture role in the football operations. But Brown was fired after 23 months."

I wonder if Pluto has any real insider info on that or if he is postulating there.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Who knows? You would think we would have heard about it before now.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
J/C

Watching Bulding the Browns ... I like Stefanski’s demeanor and intelligence. He comes off as genuine and thoughtful.

Whether or not that means anything IDK

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Stefanski has eight more games than Hue as an OC. That's it in totality. That doesn't mean he will fail. But trying to bolster him as the best thing since sliced bread is pure conjecture and wishful thinking with nothing to base it on.

We all hope for the best but hope is all we have until the bullets start flying.

I had a different take away from the article. I don't think anyone was saying we have a sure fire thing at all. I like that the GM and HC seem to genuinely be on the same page and know what and how they want to build the team ... I think that's new. Stefanski as a HC to date is different than Freddie - but none of that has been what he does on game day/week and getting the team prepared.

Stefanski is a first time HC - so we can only judge him on how he looks/sounds/off season decisions. . . . it doesn't mean he's going to be good at the other stuff but so far he's impressed me.

Last edited by mgh888; 04/05/20 03:03 PM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H

I think you mean Freddie .. Hue was an offensive coordinator in college, and in the pros. He was the coordinator in Washington, under Spurrier, in Atlanta, under Petrino, in Oakland under Tom Cable, and in Cincy, where he replaced Jay Gruden.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
V
Legend
Legend
V
The last time I heard/read about chemistry w/the FO and coaching staff was when Shanny asked his way out and almost everyone talked about him as a "me" person and how we would be so much better off because everyone was now on the same page.

I think it comes down to evaluating talent. We've had a ton of idiots in that capacity. We had one guy who was very good at evaluating talent. That was John Dorsey and he was forced out.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Owner, coach, QB. That's what it boils down to.

We all know the owner is awful. The coach is an unknown. Baker has to show improvement.

We also need to start beating the Rats and Steelers. Like the occasional season sweep. Does anyone think they'll even win one of those four games with this defense?

And even if Stefanski and Baker have the ability to be good, the Browns could likely have another double digit loss season, including all four to the Rats and Steelers.

That will only cause more unhappiness and more calling for heads. You could have a situation where Stefanski could be great and Baker could be great but extenuating circumstances have the Browns looking for another coach and QB next off season.

I think the future is very bleak, even if Stefanski and Baker perform admirably next year.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Yep, I did mean Freddie. My bad. And as much as it pains me to say it, we have heard about continuity, things like a consensus and working together with every new FO and HC that's been hired here since what seems like forever now.

And that's an easy thing to do when a team is winning. But as the losses start to add up, everyone gets concerned about their jobs and divisions begin to arise. I hope that's not a situation we face with this new regime. It would be wonderful if they come out of the gate swinging. But at the same time one has to remember this a familiar story we've been told many times before.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
The new worry I'm starting to have is related to expectations. That was a part (if a small part) of the downfall of last season, but this FO is clearly not in "tank mode". They've been pretty aggressive in FA, especially regarding the offense. Further, if a couple of rumors are to be believed, they might not be done bringing in splashy FAs.

I worry this sets us up for outsized expectations all over again. Though I don't know the inner workings of either coaching staffs, at least on the surface it appears Stefanski is better able to handle the pressure than Freddie. Still, we've seen ridiculous (in hindsight) expectations help to unravel a season.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Legend
Legend
D
The expectations weren’t a part of the problem last year .... and they should rightfully so be higher this year ... thumbsup

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
The expectations weren’t a part of the problem last year .... and they should rightfully so be higher this year ... thumbsup

I agree. I do not know a single Browns fan (personally) who had anywhere near the "expectations" that the national media kept laying out there.

P
Legend
Legend
P
You might wish to review the 2019 season prediction thread.

#gmstrong
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
He said personally. I thought some of the expectations were ridiculous (media experts included) - AFC title contenders, SB contenders. What crap.

From 7-8-1 the previous year with a new HC, OC, and DC. Yeah - SB contenders, please. 9-7, maybe 10-6 should have been the highest expectation with a possible playoff spot, perhaps. Nobody expected the Ratbirds to be that good last year.

V
Legend
Legend
V
This was a poll in the K-9 Consensus forum:

Number of Brown's Victories

Only one choice allowed (59 total votes)

0-3 - 1 (2%)
4-6 - 1 (2%)
7-8 - 4 (7%)
9-10 - 28 (47%)
11 - 12 (20%)
12 or more - 13 (22%)

I wonder who was the only guy to predict 4-6?

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Kevin Stefanski II

Link Copied to Clipboard