Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Legend
Legend
P
Easing restrictions is a different thing entirely than allowing mass public gatherings. With a virus already on the loose, if those type of gatherings are allowed, the second wave could be far more devastating than the first wave.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: TrooperDawg
Did you know there is NO vaccine for AIDS? Treatment is the key, and we'll be well on the way to that before football season. Hydroxychlorochline is proving effective, and I believe it will be accepted as an effective treatment for COVID-19...or something else.

The thing is AIDS isn't transmitted as easily.

What we have to find out is once a person gets it and gets over it, do we then have antibodies that will help protect us moving forward?

Yes, treatment is a key if a vaccine can't be found anytime soon, if ever. It's just that is a extremely contagious virus. It's swept the globe in what, 3-4 months?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
The thing is AIDS isn't transmitted as easily.

What we have to find out is once a person gets it and gets over it, do we then have antibodies that will help protect us moving forward?

Yes, treatment is a key if a vaccine can't be found anytime soon, if ever. It's just that is a extremely contagious virus. It's swept the globe in what, 3-4 months?

I believe Fauci said this disease mutates slowly. He believes that come this fall, folks that have already gotten it (and have antibodies) should still be okay.

Also, if you do have antibodies, yet still contract the virus, will that help make the virus less severe.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Easing restrictions is a different thing entirely than allowing mass public gatherings. With a virus already on the loose, if those type of gatherings are allowed, the second wave could be far more devastating than the first wave.

I honestly don't believe we will see, nor should we, large crowds at sporting events before we have better and sufficient testing to test anyone who wants a test, and possibly even a vaccine.

That said - perfectly feasible to play pro sports without crowds.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I agree that can easily be done. The question then becomes will the owners see that as economically feasible? We know that the bulk of their revenue comes via TV contracts and shared revenue from apparel.

The question is how much will empty stadiums impact their bottom line and do they see that as a way to move forward from a financial perspective?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
JC
I didn’t want to start a new thread, but I am watching our game vs Seattle from last year ... it’s a CRIME we didn’t win that game. In retrospect, it was probably the loss that destroyed our realistic chances.

Just horrendous coaching before half .. my goodness

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
JC
I didn’t want to start a new thread, but I am watching our game vs Seattle from last year ... it’s a CRIME we didn’t win that game. In retrospect, it was probably the loss that destroyed our realistic chances.

Just horrendous coaching before half .. my goodness

The one game I was at ! Was such an awesome first first Q ... and most of the 2nd Q... I forget the bad ref calls in that game but sure there was at least a couple of very egregious calls to go with our inept play calling.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Yeah there were a few bad calls. And our red zone offense sucked so bad ... and our decision making and clock management

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

But if you start to ease restrictions in areas that less effected you can get a better idea of how it moves and get a more accurate timeline in terms of estimating length of restrictions, but you'll also get more data. Right now everything is being based upon purposefully blown out of proportion data and the resulting panic.

There's going to have to be an attempt at some sort of balance, and yes that means taking some risk. This country will not make it through summer in tact if we keep these blanket, draconian, dubiously Constitutional restrictions in place.

Now how profitable or necessary it is for games to be played in front of a crowd? That's tough to know. I'm sure they make a lot of money from it, but there's also got to be a ton of cost operationally. And if NOBODY is playing games in front of a crowd, maybe the impact becomes more negligible?

Where things might get screwy is what happens if there is no season? Do those top 10 draftees still cash in on those pay checks? Do players get that free paycheck and accrue a year? Would all our recent 1 year signings get paid then be free to go wherever in 2021 without ever having played a down for us? On the flip side how can anyone justify not paying the players?

Maybe everyone's contracts are suspended for 1 year and everyone collects the league minimum at their position?

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Yeah there were a few bad calls. And our red zone offense sucked so bad ... and our decision making and clock management

I was as mad as I have been in years during that game. We had things in hand and then the two dumb asses rose up and gave the game away.

Legend
Legend
I agree. We were up 20-6 with the ball and driving .. and we totally blew it

V
Legend
Legend
V
Freddie said he was trying to go for 2 to 1 or something like that and Baker force-fed the ball and made a horrid throw. It gets picked. They score. And the game is completely altered. Two dumb asses.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

The experts.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

The experts.

Purple please...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
B
Legend
Legend
B
j/c:

The experts.

Why not them? It really doesn't matter who provides input.

We know that people have gotten reinfected. As a season ticket holder I am not going to be happy if some "expert" says sure, no problem putting 60,000 people together in a confined space.

You also have to consider the NFLPA. I am sure they are very concerned about risking the players health and lives. If one player, or one towel boy turn up infected, pretty much the whole team has to quarantine. How is the "season" going to play out then if whole teams can't play for weeks?

What if just 2-3 better players on a team have to sit out 2 weeks, how is that going to impact the quality of play for teams?

I don't see how this season happens. It isn't worth the risk to fans or players. This season needs to be washed.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Peen, the tweet was a joke. He mentioned those teams because of bad attendance

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c:

The experts.

Possibly teams needing BEER SALES The Most...lol laugh

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: Pdawg

It was funny, but on the other hand, peen may be right. This season could be in jeopardy.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Pdawg

Ok, I am just not in a joking mood these days, so the jokes on me. Good one.

My comment still remains the same.

Every time I share my real feelings on this, threads get locked, so I won't.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I believe this season will play out in some capacity. It may be shortened but I believe we'll see football at some point.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
I believe this season will play out in some capacity. It may be shortened but I believe we'll see football at some point.

To maintain social distancing, we'll change the rules to flag football. Talk about a spread formation...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Fauci says sports can return if teams are quarantined, stadiums are empty
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 15, 2020, 9:29 AM EDT

Dr. Anthony Fauci believes American sports can return sooner than some are expecting, but only if strict protocols are in place to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

Fauci said in a Snapchat interview that sports can happen in empty stadiums and with teams quarantined in hotels, rather than having players out and about in public where they might be exposed to the virus, or spreading it to others if they’ve unknowingly been exposed.

“There’s a way of doing that,” Fauci said. “Nobody comes to the stadium. Put them in big hotels, wherever you want to play . . . have them tested every week and make sure they don’t wind up infecting each other or their family and just let them play the season out.”

Fauci said he’s sympathetic to the strong desire in America to see sports again, and that he’s a fan himself.

“I want to see them play again,” he said.

It would be asking a lot of players, coaches and other league staffers to quarantine in a hotel for an entire season, but they may be willing to do it if the alternative is canceling an entire season and losing their entire salaries. The details will need to be worked out, and the NFL will have the advantage of seeing how the NBA, MLB and NHL handle it before making any decisions at the start of football season. But Fauci sounded optimistic that sports will return this year.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...iums-are-empty/

M
Legend
Legend
M
As long as DFS doesn't take a hit, I could care less who is in the stadium outside of the players. tongue

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
As long as DFS doesn't take a hit, I could care less who is in the stadium outside of the players. tongue

No doubt. Betting on what number will be after the decimal point when the Dow closes is getting old!

Today's excitement: Will the share price of Chevron be up or down between 2pm EST and 3pm EST?!?

V
Legend
Legend
V
I liked the one where you could bet on which Democratic candidate would say "stock market," "Trump," "Coronovirus," "China," "Medicare," "Middle class," "Guns," etc. rofl

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
The problem with futures bets are that they are hanging on to the wage even in the event of a postponement. Your money could be out there in limbo for some time in the event the NFL season is postponed. Only officially cancelled events return the wager.

Side note, Tickemaster just hosed me (tickets to Rolling Stones at FES) and a bunch of other people. They quietly updated their refund policy to only refunding ticket money for cancelled events only and will not refund for postponed events. They did just a few days before several tours postponed their tours.

Rolling Stones postponed their tour indefinitely, so it appears Ticketmaster will hold everyone's money for an indefinite amount of time.

I'll be curious how long they will get away with that.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Do they have the cash to refund everyone’s tickets for all the cancelled and postponed shows ... they have zero revenue coming in now ... OK, maybe not zero but not to far from it ...

If they don’t have the cash they may have to file for bankruptcy to keep themselves afloat until some revenue starts coming in ...

I have NO CLUE how they managed there cash flow ... and they may have a big stash in reserve ... a big enough stash ... I’d be shocked it it was near enough ...

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

Dr. Anthony Fauci believes American sports can return sooner than some are expecting, but only if strict protocols are in place to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

Fauci said in a Snapchat interview that sports can happen in empty stadiums and with teams quarantined in hotels, rather than having players out and about in public where they might be exposed to the virus, or spreading it to others if they’ve unknowingly been exposed.

“There’s a way of doing that,” Fauci said. “Nobody comes to the stadium. Put them in big hotels, wherever you want to play . . . have them tested every week and make sure they don’t wind up infecting each other or their family and just let them play the season out.”

Fauci said he’s sympathetic to the strong desire in America to see sports again, and that he’s a fan himself.

It would be asking a lot of players, coaches and other league staffers to quarantine in a hotel for an entire season, but they may be willing to do it if the alternative is canceling an entire season and losing their entire salaries. The details will need to be worked out, and the NFL will have the advantage of seeing how the NBA, MLB and NHL handle it before making any decisions at the start of football season. But Fauci sounded optimistic that sports will return this year.

That is encouraging, but it doesn't sound realistic unless you quarantine the players away from their families as well.

Say one player ends up picking it up from a wife or child. So if a player tests positive, doesn't the whole team and the team he played against last week have to go in to hiding for two weeks?

For that matter, wouldn't you have to quarantine everybody who comes in to contact with players? Coaches, locker room staff, refs, etc?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
j/c...

That is encouraging, but it doesn't sound realistic unless you quarantine the players away from their families as well.

Say one player ends up picking it up from a wife or child. So if a player tests positive, doesn't the whole team and the team he played against last week have to go in to hiding for two weeks?

For that matter, wouldn't you have to quarantine everybody who comes in to contact with players? Coaches, locker room staff, refs, etc?

Yes. The entire team would need quarantined. Coaches on down. No coming and going except for games. No family unless they’re quarantined with the team the entire time too.

I’m not holding out hope for football.

Golf seems like the only real possibility. No galleries. Just two players, two caddies per hole. The player and his caddy could be tested and ‘trust’ each other. Or the caddy would wear a mask. The two player/caddy teams could technically stay distanced from one another on the course.

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
I'm not all the optimistic either. It's nice to hear to give some positive news, but the idea of quarantining all the players, coaching staff, broadcasting crew, behind the scene staff, all away from their families, just does not seem realistic at all.

Are the big name players that have plenty of cash in the bank really going to agree to this? They'll just say they don't feel safe.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Would you feel safe?

#gmstrong
T
Rookie
Rookie
T
Wasn't sure where to put this...

I just listened to the Cleveland Browns Daily Podcast with Nathan Zegura etc from yesterday. They had Bernie Kosar on for about 10 mins talking about various things and he sounded terrific, speech clear, no slurring etc. I had assumed his slurred speech we had gotten used to over the last few years was related to concussion symptoms etc, but apparently not. I guess he was under the influence of something all those times I saw and heard him up till now but he definitely was of clear mind yesterday. Good for him,this makes me feel good !

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: thriller

I just listened to the Cleveland Browns Daily Podcast with Nathan Zegura etc from yesterday. They had Bernie Kosar on for about 10 mins talking about various things and he sounded terrific, speech clear, no slurring etc. I had assumed his slurred speech we had gotten used to over the last few years was related to concussion symptoms etc, but apparently not. I guess he was under the influence of something all those times I saw and heard him up till now but he definitely was of clear mind yesterday. Good for him,this makes me feel good !
\

I think Bernie had some demons that may have been exorcized. If so, good for him.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M

\

I think Bernie had some demons that may have been exorcized. If so, good for him.

No doubt. I'll never forget when he called into WKNR when Bruce Hooley was hosting in the afternoon and Bernie was absolutely wasted. They had to get him off the air.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Live! From sunny, San Diego!

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M

\

No doubt. I'll never forget when he called into WKNR when Bruce Hooley was hosting in the afternoon and Bernie was absolutely wasted. They had to get him off the air.

Yeah, there have been some really bad episodes with Bernie over the years.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Live! From sunny, San Diego!

Well yeah. I mean it's much harder to book a flight these days. wink

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I still genuinely enjoy and would welcome his booth work and offensive analysis. If he is now easier to understand, then so much the better. He has always impressed me with his ability to dissect what is in front of him and make what's important accessible to the fans. More like a Madden or Brennaman. That as opposed to some former Cowboy QBs who cannot take a break.

So you liked him overall?

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
World War II didn't stop MLB.

WWII was not fought in the U.S.A...in every major city as well as many of the small towns in the USA.

...but keep in mind, today we are to the point where some locations are hiding their death count, the deaths that occur in their facilities...when was the last time you expected to see something like that?...rather extreme, imo...

We are in uncharted territory where those in charge will encourage others to take the lead, while they sit in a safe place and watch, waiting to see if you get sick.

Anyone want to be a guinea pig?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum A Real Discussion - The Season

Link Copied to Clipboard