Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Legend
Legend
I think it is an interesting idea with little real value.

No need to change things... just roll as-is.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Thursday - Round 1
Friday - Rounds 2-3
Saturday - Rounds 4-6
Sunday - Rounds 7-10

Since we're not have the huge hoopla this year, does it make sense to have an entire night for round 1?

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
It never actually made sense, but they do it anyway.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Thursday - Round 1
Friday - Rounds 2-3
Saturday - Rounds 4-6
Sunday - Rounds 7-10

Since we're not have the huge hoopla this year, does it make sense to have an entire night for round 1?

My guess is that more people watch the draft this year than ever before. If that’s the case it makes even more sense to spread it out.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Thursday - Round 1
Friday - Rounds 2-3
Saturday - Rounds 4-6
Sunday - Rounds 7-10

My guess is that more people watch the draft this year than ever before. If that’s the case it makes even more sense to spread it out.

I agree. Folks are going to be "sports starved." The TV viewership will break records. Extend the damn draft. Give folks something to watch and give teams more picks. Nothing to lose in that venture.

O
Legend
Legend
O
UDFA signings this year will be more difficult IMHO. This is the only reason I can see to justify 3 extra rounds.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

I think some of our younger folks don't remember when the draft was 17 rounds.

Yeah ... lol and we had to wait for the morning paper to read about them.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
UDFA signings this year will be more difficult IMHO. This is the only reason I can see to justify 3 extra rounds.
Exactly. It actually makes a lot of sense to extend the draft. Heck, make it a 2 week extravaganza. Spread it out to give us something lol

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
E
Legend
Legend
E
To close to the draft to propose that. What if the Steeler program prepares them to go deeper in the draft to help them with UDFA prospects. They of course propose this to the NFL cause they will take advantage of other teams as they are prepared for it but other teams are not.

How bout another 5 rounds at the end of May and don't have any UDFA signings - I think in June they will be able to practice together outdoors again.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Thursday - Round 1
Friday - Rounds 2-3
Saturday - Rounds 4-6
Sunday - Rounds 7-10

I agree. Folks are going to be "sports starved." The TV viewership will break records. Extend the damn draft. Give folks something to watch and give teams more picks. Nothing to lose in that venture.

On a strictly personal level, my interest in sports has gone down the crapper since the pandemic hit home. I'm anything but sports starved. In past years, we'd have the NHL/NBA playoffs and the peak of the NFL draft hype right now. Just not feeling any excitement this year, nor am I horribly missing it. It really hit home for me when they just abruptly cancelled the NCAA league tournaments and the NHL season. It was a shocker, but it really made me realize just how unimportant sports are in the big picture of humanity. Hopefully when this all blows over, the Browns, Buckeyes and Red Wings will be good and I'll be into it again, but right now I can't see watching 4 consecutive nights of the NFL draft for a season that may not even occur.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
A
Legend
Legend
A
Agreed. I've never watched the draft anyway.

On a sidenote, I used to think by subscription to SI was important. Weekly. Then they went to bi-weekly, and I was disappointed, but they said each issue would be bigger. Course, the cost didn't go down. And the issues weren't bigger, they just had thicker pages.

And then, a year ago? Nah, probably 6 months ago or so, I find out SI was going to only a monthly publication, but promised even MORE content. Yeah, right. The 'more content' didn't happen, the bigger issue didn't happen. And the price went up.

Guess what? I won't renew. Amazingly, due to SI, this magazine that I used to feel I needed, due to them and shortchanging, I've realized I don't need it. Or want it. They are losing a 25 + year subscriber.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I don’t think they’ve officially cancelled the NHL season, jfan.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
I don’t think they’ve officially cancelled the NHL season, jfan.

Wow, you're right, they haven't.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: eotab
To close to the draft to propose that. What if the Steeler program prepares them to go deeper in the draft to help them with UDFA prospects. They of course propose this to the NFL cause they will take advantage of other teams as they are prepared for it but other teams are not.

How bout another 5 rounds at the end of May and don't have any UDFA signings - I think in June they will be able to practice together outdoors again.

I think all teams would be prepared, even though it won't happen. They all have lists of the guys they want to sign as UDFA.

If 3 rounds were added, I think most teams could construct a board with the next 100 players in fairly short order. The draft is still 2 weeks away.

They mark players as undraftable, but we probably have grades on 350-400 players. Maybe more. Obviously some have been given priority status because as soon as the draft is over, teams start announcing the signing of this guy and that guy with-in hours of the drafts conclusion.

Teams tell bubble players that they like them but may not be able to draft them depending how the draft pans out, but stay close to the phone, we will be giving you a call if we don't and you don't get drafted. Those players and their agents know who might be calling. Then the agent can try to swing the best deal for his or her client.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hopefully when this all blows over, the Browns, Buckeyes and Red Wings will be good and I'll be into it again, but right now I can't see watching 4 consecutive nights of the NFL draft for a season that may not even occur.

The *ed *ings?? I've met you and like you.. but now I need to re-evaluate you.

Hmmph.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
V
Legend
Legend
V
If a team's big board couldn't extend 96 places deeper, than they are dumb-asses.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: SaintDawg
Hopefully when this all blows over, the Browns, Buckeyes and Red Wings will be good and I'll be into it again, but right now I can't see watching 4 consecutive nights of the NFL draft for a season that may not even occur.

The *ed *ings?? I've met you and like you.. but now I need to re-evaluate you.

Hmmph.

Hey, I've been a fan since they were the dead wings. Unfortunately, they're back to playing some pretty bad hockey. Hopefully Yzerman will bring them back in a hurry.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
E
Legend
Legend
E
yeah I know that Peen and agree all will be prepared cause we go into the UDFA mode.

Just basically displaying my dislike of the Steelers and the preferential treatment that they get so that anything like this would be done with Sneaky intentions...lol laugh

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If a team's big board couldn't extend 96 places deeper, than they are dumb-asses.

Rounds 8-9-10....surely you mean 'dart board'.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season 2020 NFL Draft Steelers' GM proposes 3 additional rounds in the draft

Link Copied to Clipboard