Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Today is the day all Browns fans pray, and we can forgive Pastor Marc for some enthusiasm from the pulpit.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Actually, I think we have picked one first round pick and one second round pick. Anything else is an opinion most likely based on homerism or the opposite.

No thats your opinion, Most "experts" opinions is Delpit was a first rounder!!!!

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
L
Legend
Legend
L
Lol, glad you’re keeping things real. It was a position we needed to upgrade, so that’s good. We’ll see in a couple of years how he develops.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
No doubt.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
Actually, I think we have picked one first round pick and one second round pick. Anything else is an opinion most likely based on homerism or the opposite.

No thats your opinion, Most "experts" opinions is Delpit was a first rounder!!!!

No, it is NOT my opinion. Wills was drafted in round 1 and Delpit was drafted in round 2. Those are facts.

Legend
Legend

Zac Jackson
@AkronJackson
·
12m
Delpit: "I'm so tired of hearing that I can't tackle, I might tackle you for asking that question."

Said the high ankle made him a different player but he refused to sit out.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P

No, it is NOT my opinion. Wills was drafted in round 1 and Delpit was drafted in round 2. Those are facts.

I thought you leaving!!!

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
L
Legend
Legend
L
He leaving the other thread.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
V
Legend
Legend
V
What? I left the Draft Day thread because cfrs was being a blank.

I'm stating facts here. You are stating opinions as facts and then getting upset if you are corrected by actual facts.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C

In spite of my concerns about defending the run I like this pick for the Browns. He among the best prospects available at his position. I think he has better than average upside.

The draft seems to be unfolding in a way that we might still get a good IDL in round 3.

P
Legend
Legend
P
What? I left the Draft Day thread because cfrs was being a blank.

I'm stating facts here. You are stating opinions as facts and then getting upset if you are corrected by actual facts.

Come on man you know what I was saying you just like stirring the pot ... Let me say it this way Both Wills and Delpit were projected to be first round picks I hate being politically correct but thats what some want I guess ...

V
Legend
Legend
V
I have to agree w/you. I hate the blind optimism and homerism where people overrate each and every pick we make. I also detest when each pick is trashed. I don't believe in extremes.

But yeah...........I like our two picks. Berry is doing a nice job thus far.

Legend
Legend
Is this in any way a productive use of time? Geesh. Enough already.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Is this in any way a productive use of time? Geesh. Enough already.

I should probably stop wasting time following the draft tongue

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm very happy. Delpit was one of three remaining players I wanted at that spot. They've gotten two players with 1st round talent so far. Very nicely done.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Lemmys_Wart
I'm very happy. Delpit was one of three remaining players I wanted at that spot. They gotten two players with 1st round talent so far. Very nicely done.

Be Careful Vers won't like that your giving your opinion according to him superconfused

Legend
Legend
Welcome aboard, matey. Might as well win us some games. Here's to our hopes for a great career!

Unleash The Elf!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Hammer
Delpit had a high ankle sprain for good portion of the 2019 season which may have led to this notion of poor tackler. 2018 was a much better year for him.

Quoted for emphasis.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Maybe I am slipping but we have now drafted my 3rd and 16th ranked player. The only knock is he isn't great at tackle in the open but he is willing and I can live with that. Might be the first draft where I got exactly what I wanted with our first 2.

I did not expect this draft from Berry.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Mourg...........the guy is a play maker. I think the tackling thing is that he takes some bad angles. That is a bit dangerous for a FS. We saw first-hand how much it hurt us when Peppers played FS for us. Bad angles from the FS position lead to long TD runs and or short passes that go for long gains.

I need to see more, but taking bad angles is a concern.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Getting into that trade up range ...

R
Legend
Legend
R
Was the bad angle thing only last year when he was hurt or over his whole college career?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Then why didn't he go in the first round? Why didn't he go at the top of the 2nd where people often move up to get the "first-round talent" that dropped? We moved back and still got him. I'm not knocking the pick, I'm just saying he's a 2nd round pick. He may stud out. 2nd round picks often do. But making him out to be the best ever blah blah woof woof is homerism. Not reality. I hope he does stud out. Doesn't make him a first round pick.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77

Then why didn't he go in the first round? Why didn't he go at the top of the 2nd where people often move up to get the "first-round talent" that dropped? We moved back and still got him. I'm not knocking the pick, I'm just saying he's a 2nd round pick. He may stud out. 2nd round picks often do. But making him out to be the best ever blah blah woof woof is homerism. Not reality. I hope he does stud out. Doesn't make him a first round pick.

He was PROJECTED TO BE A FIRST ROUNDER superconfused

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Was the bad angle thing only last year when he was hurt or over his whole college career?

Not really sure, Rish. I only watched 2019 tape. But, I think that was a good question. I won't make something up. I really don't know the answer.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77

There might be 44 guys with 1st round grades, but only 32 actual spots in the 1st round. But if any of those "extra" 12 guys were taken in the 1st, nobody would bat an eye. They're interchangeable. It's not like there are strictly only 32 guys with 1st round grades every year. Also, bad picks and/or positional need picks (reaches) which bump true 1st round talent to the 2nd happen all the time.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
https://clutchpoints.com/top-5-safeties-in-the-2020-nfl-draft/

Pretty good article about who they felt were the top 5 safeties in the draft. Grant Delpit was there #1 safety. They pulled no punches and spoke harshly about his tackling issues. But predicted he would go anywhere from pick number 20 to 2nd round.

His coverage skills are said to be special. That is what you want from a free safety.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
At the start of the 2019 season, he was projected by several sites to be a top 10 pick. Then he played the 1st 2/3 of the season with a high ankle sprain and clearly was not the same player.

Look at highlights from the college football playoffs. You get to see him against 2 really good teams and he was much healthier for those games.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Great pick given the value. Able to trade down, obtain an extra 5th and still get their.

Should be able to cover and shutdown TEs/big WRs. Put him on Mark Andrews and Chase Claypool.

Hopefully, improves tackling against the run.

So far so good in the draft.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I see Ashton Davis was just picked. I really liked this kid. I think he is going to be a great FS and a dynamic returner. The question on him is health. But, don't underestimate this kid. I made a post about him on the FS thread. I think it's the 4th post in.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yo Kash.............see what I mean? LOL

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Safety pinned: Browns select LSU's Delpit in second round

The Associated Press
TOM WITHERS (AP Sports Writer)
The Associated Press Apr 24, 2020, 9:36 PM

CLEVELAND (AP) -- The Browns added a national champion - and world-class trash talker - to their secondary.

Desperate for a safety, Cleveland made a trade in the second round before selecting LSU's Grant Delpit with the No. 44 overall pick in the NFL draft Friday night.

Delpit won the Jim Thorpe Award as college football's best defensive back last season, when he helped lead the Tigers to the NCAA title. He will be reunited in Cleveland with former LSU teammate Greedy Williams, a cornerback taken by the Browns in the second round last year.

Not lacking confidence, Delpit has already proclaimed that with him and Williams, cornerback Denzel Ward and safety Karl Joseph, the Browns will have the best secondary in the NFL. Asked to clarify if he meant one of the best, or the best, Delpit didn't back down.

''The best,'' he said on a Zoom call. ''Headline, all caps.''

The Browns needed to add a safety after choosing not to re-sign Damarious Randall after the season. They added Joseph as a free agent last month.

Browns general manager Andrew Berry made his first trade of his first draft in charge of picking players before selecting the 6-foot-2, 213-pound Delpit. Berry exchanged second-round picks with the Indianapolis Colts for a fifth-round pick (No. 160) and their choice at 44, which he used on Delpit.

''We really viewed him as a big, versatile playmaker,'' Berry said. ''Our appeal to Grant is his coverage ability. He'a a guy who can play the post. He can play near the line of scrimmage. He can cover tight ends, walk over a slot and hold his own against receivers and he's been a consistent producer throughout his career.''

Berry said Delpit, who grew up in New Orleans as a Saints fan, played most of last season with a ''high ankle sprain that would have put a lot of players out of commission for a longer period of time.''

Delpit said his injury made it difficult for him to even walk on the day after games. It also led to questions from NFL personnel about whether or not he's a good tackler, a knock Delpit finds offensive.

''I'm so tired of hearing that I can't tackle, I might tackle you for asking that question,'' Delpit said with a laugh. ''I got something to prove. I'm so excited to get back on the field, you don't even know.''

Berry added that everyone the Browns spoke to at LSU raved about Delpit's football intellect and that the 21-year-old was one of the most impressive players they interviewed at the combine.

''In his particular interview session, our focus really was on football context, checks, adjustments, a mini-install with our system and a review of some of the things that he did at LSU,'' he said. ''He really excelled in that setting. Just really bright, really sharp and can process very quickly so that was one of the more impressive things about him for us.''

The draft couldn't have started much better on Thursday for the Browns, who stuck to their plan by addressing their biggest need and selecting Alabama tackle Jedrick Wills with the 10th overall pick.

Wills starred at right tackle for the Crimson Tride, but the Browns intend to switch him to the left side to serve as a protector for quarterback Baker Mayfield and to open up holes for Pro Bowl running back Nick Chubb.

Chief strategy officer Paul DePodesta said Wills was the top-rated tackle on Cleveland's board.

The Browns entered Day 2 of this virtual draft with three picks: No. 41, No. 74 and No. 97, the last acquired from Houston last year for running back Duke Johnson.

https://sports.yahoo.com/safety-pinned-browns-select-lsus-delpit-second-round-004940906--nfl.html

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
Desperate for a safety, Cleveland made a trade in the second round before selecting LSU's Grant Delpit with the No. 44 overall pick in the NFL draft Friday night.

LOL................this dude should write for a politician.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
LOL................this dude should write for a politician.

This right here is the age of the internet.

Get your content out as fast as you can

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You might see Wood use him as a nickel for the Browns , cover the slot and not a true Safety .. He was not my choice at Safety either .

V
Legend
Legend
V
Dude is pretty versatile. I actually like the pick. I think things just got twisted on this thread.

I do have a question that is a repeat question from Rish.

Did anyone watch Delpit a lot in 2018? All the reports say he was way better in that year. Did anyone notice his angles during the 2018 season? I'm asking the football guys, not the homers.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I like the pick.

I see another LSU Tiger drafted with the Center pick.

Hard to argue against just drafting players from the SEC.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Looked like he still overpursued some, but he recovered better and got away with it more often on a healthy ankle from my limited 2018 viewing.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have ( and always will ) like big hitters at Safety .. I want receivers to feel the pain trying to play in MY backfield .. No doubt he had a super 2018 .. As always time will tell.. liked Davis and Chinn ..

V
Legend
Legend
V
Thank you.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season 2020 NFL Draft Browns select safety Grant Delpit with the 44th pick

Link Copied to Clipboard