Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
Phillips sounds like he is good against the run, good tackler, hustles but isn't good in coverage. Good potential but I would have preferred Harrison. Time will tell. JMO

They both have the same strengths and weaknesses.

[Linked Image]

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Like the rest of us....Go Browns!!! James 1/19-21

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
https://www.pff.com/news/college-footbal...-in-lsu-clemson

Found this article printed before the National Championship game. It posts the 25 best players in the game. Small scouting report on both Philips and Delpit.

Philips is a sure tackler going into the National Championship game he attempted 88 tackles and only missed on 3. Led LSU in tackles.

As I have said earlier I wanted Harrison. I just like the bigger man if all things seemed equal. But, it really looks like in reality it was just splitting hairs. Both are run stopers that are physical and like to play down field.

3 of our 4 draft picks have won National Championships. I wonder if the FO is making an effort to bring in players with winning pedigrees when possible.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Thanks for that article. A year in a NFL weightroom and maybe he is at 235- 240. His taclkling abilities are special, we need that in our division. I too wanted Harrison based on his size and ability to get downhill and deliver blows at the LOS. Our run D must improve if we want to have a shot at winning our division.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
When you pick a guy in the middle of the draft it usually is a average guy. Most usually have upside but have deficiencies in their game or he been would have been a first of second round guy.
I don't understand your statement Guard.
This guy flys to the ball and makes tackles when he arrives and lets them know he was there and that is what he does.

GREAT pick !!!!

My favorite one since Wills.

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Solid post and analysis Day.

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
Legend
Legend
Jacob Phillips 'ready to work' and establish himself in Browns young LB corps

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/...young-lb-corps/

Jacob Phillips is excited to land in Cleveland. The Browns’ third-round linebacker knows he has a great opportunity to establish himself right away in the young LB corps.

Phillips talked about his opportunity and more in his press conference call with reporters following Day 2.

“That was one of my key things: one, to be the outcomes of this draft coming into room where I will get an opportunity,” Phillips said in his conference call. “I feel as though I will be given an opportunity in Cleveland. I am ready to work. I am ready to put in every ounce that I can to succeed and help the team win. I just want to make sure that I bring that winning tradition I had in college to Cleveland.”

Phillips could quickly earn the starting inside backer job. He led a talent-laden LSU defense in two ways: tackles and emotional fire. Those are qualities that can help Phillips get on the field a lot as a rookie.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
So as of now we have ... Mack Wilson, Taki Taki, and Phillips as our top 3 LBs?
/

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
What’s interesting to me is that we can very easily judge Berry’s draft ... I mean basically EVERY time we made a pick, immediately after that pick someone was picked at the SAME position. I can’t remember the last time I felt this was so black and white:

- LT - Wills or Wirfs/Becton
- S - Delpit or Winfield
- ILB - Phillips or Harrison

Was thinking the exact same thing. I honestly don't mind if Becton and Winfield go on to be very good/great - they both come with some risks that are different and above & beyond the risk of simple player eval - Phillips/Harrison is going to be a direct comparison. Interesting times ahead. Also interested to see how Ezra Cleveland and Josh Jones perform seeing how far they fell.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
Legend
Legend
M
/

That's a concern.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
He led a talent-laden LSU defense in two ways: tackles and emotional fire. Those are qualities that can help Phillips get on the field a lot as a rookie.

I really like the comment that he was a leader in their emotional fire. I have felt for years (a decade and half?) that we play too blah. We lack fire and intensity.

One of the things about Takitaki that I liked last year was his enthusiasm.
When he was on the field, he never seemed to be involved in making a play, but the defense as a whole played better than when he went off the field. And if the D plays better and he isn't making plays, then it must be the way he gets everyone fired up. Nothing objective, totally my subjective opinion.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
/

And Goodson.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
And Tae Davis.

(Plus a couple of totally inexperienced guys in Harvey and Grace)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I thought I read somewhere that he wasn't that big an alpha. (It was in his NFL.com Draft and Combine Profile Link ) I'm curious to see the reality. It may have been a past season reference when he was deferring to Devin White.

I'm a bit anxious to see who ends up making the calls for us. Maybe Phillips has got that Joe Schobert football intelligence that helps us get the calls and checks right, but with less range and more thump.

Last edited by Bull_Dawg; 04/25/20 11:24 AM. Reason: added parenthetical

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
J/c

Thanks all, I’ve lost track of the LB corps depth guys ... obviously there’s no much there

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
/

ooo That is a crisis

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Originally Posted By: tastybrownies
/

ooo That is a crisis

That’s not going to get it done

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: mgh888
/

That's a concern.

I'd rather play with 6 DB's and 5 DL than trot our this sacrificial joke of an LB group.

someone can quote that too

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I don't get why people think Wilson and Taki suck. Wilson was thrown to the wolves last year before he was ready, and still was decent. Taki was just a ST, and also was called on to play at the end of the year. I'm not saying they are studs, but they both will be in their second year, and I would think will improve.

These guys were not bums when drafted.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian
I don't get why people think Wilson and Taki suck. Wilson was thrown to the wolves last year before he was ready, and still was decent. Taki was just a ST, and also was called on to play at the end of the year. I'm not saying they are studs, but they both will be in their second year, and I would think will improve.

These guys were not bums when drafted.

I am not concerned that they will stink. I am concerned that we don't know what they are and what they are could be stinky.

Legend
Legend
The worry, for me anyway, is that they haven't shown themselves to definitely be ready to be a fulltime starter. They are still as much of an unknown as the kids we just drafted.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

All Pro
All Pro
This is the only pick I wouldn't give us better than an average grade. But within the pick there is still a lot of good.

He was the inside guy with White (1st round) for the 2018 season and remained inside with Queen (1st round) last year.

Athletically he does rank out extremely highly so far as a roaming/spy LBer.

He does do a very good job at getting low and wrapping up the ball carrier,.

Unfortunately, he also does not play with the physicality and power that a lot of us like (I'm old, I like hard-nosed football guys).

He also is very poor at picking up guys in the passing game. Within that though, the good is that I think a large part of that is because it was something he was almost never asked to do. He is definitely athletic enough to stay up with RB's and TE's in the short area game, but almost all of his drop backs were just falling back into an open space and watching the QB so that is still a big unknown.

I didn't do a board past 50 guys this year, but he was my 12th LBer on that list which I suppose would likely make him a good value late 4 or early 5. I guess if Logan Wilson was floating in the low 100's range in my head as the 10th LBer,Phillips probably would have been in the 130-140 range had I put the time to sort all that.

Certainly not "bad" but a round early. Probably C-.

But again...at least he wraps up. smile

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
Legend
Legend

Linebacker is the one position I am concerned about.

I disagreed with letting Schobert walk. We have the money and we need a guy like him with experience. So why let him walk?

In the draft most question this pick of Phillips. I have no vote on him since I know nothing about him. The fact is most taken at that point will have a hard time making the team. Special teams at best for most.

I am uncomfortable with our LB's. Hopefully the big second year jump in development happens. Or, we make a trade to get a guy. I would have no problem trading Njoku for a vet linebacker.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: bonefish

I would have no problem trading Njoku for a vet linebacker.

Been thinking the same thing since we signed Hooper... Now, after yesterday, he's definitely a trade asset to be considered.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Phillips was a late day two prospect in January ... and was a late day two selction in April.

In between where speculations to the contrary...

[Linked Image]

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Anyone else note that Phillips tackles rather high?...I saw it noted he is a really good tackler...But noticed he has a tendency to do like an arm lock rather high...Not sure if that will fly will the big boys in the NFL.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
The first question I ask is what is the team looking for from the position of ILB?

Looking for speed and range like Schobert was..all over the field, defending passes 25 yds down field...

...OR, were the Browns looking for the ILB who showed a knack for "stuffing the run"...someone "with an attitude and temperament" of past ILBs who enjoy the hitting and bring it, on the field.

Watching replays of the Browns 2019 games and it became "obvious" that the Browns 2019 LB corp lacked the ability to stop the run. The Browns defense ranked 30th in the NFL at stopping the run, giving up 144.7 yds per game on the ground.

Can't win in the NFL North with a defense that allows that kind of defensive performance.

So, did the BOYS look to find a run stopping ILB...or did the analytics guide their selection based on some mathematical advantage, leading them to the run stopping ILB out of LSU?

The Browns draft team had a choice and imo, they went for another Schobert type LB.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: mac
The first question I ask is what is the team looking for from the position of ILB?

Looking for speed and range like Schobert was..all over the field, defending passes 25 yds down field...

...OR, were the Browns looking for the ILB who showed a knack for "stuffing the run"...someone "with an attitude and temperament" of past ILBs who enjoy the hitting and bring it, on the field.

Watching replays of the Browns 2019 games and it became "obvious" that the Browns 2019 LB corp lacked the ability to stop the run. The Browns defense ranked 30th in the NFL at stopping the run, giving up 144.7 yds per game on the ground.

Can't win in the NFL North with a defense that allows that kind of defensive performance.

So, did the BOYS look to find a run stopping ILB...or did the analytics guide their selection based on some mathematical advantage, leading them to the run stopping ILB out of LSU?

The Browns draft team had a choice and imo, they went for another Schobert type LB.

No Mac, he isn't considered to be a coverage LB, but one that is good against the run and one who did not miss many tackles.

[Linked Image]

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Not sure why you think Phillips is a down the field type player. Never did it at LSU and was a very good tackling linebacker in college.

you had a good run Hank.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Discuss

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend

Not overly impressed by this highlight film.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
A tackler?

That alone is an upgrade IMO. Go ahead and win some games. thumbsup brownie

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
A tackler?

I do feel like certain picks were made to "fill roles". "Coverage LB... meh. Tackling LB... woohoo! Tackling FS... meh. Coverage FS... woohoo!"

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
A tackler?

I do feel like certain picks were made to "fill roles". "Coverage LB... meh. Tackling LB... woohoo! Tackling FS... meh. Coverage FS... woohoo!"

I agree. When I think about LB I don't think about coverage skills. If you want coverage, but a DB out there.

I want somebody who can tackle.

People think too much.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I watched the film and thought Jacob looked good. He hustles, is always around the ball and tackles really well. Looks like a keeper to me.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I know I'm classified as a HOMER as if that is suppose to be a negative or something. But still. I will be realistic about this.

You can sort of get excited about our first and second round picks, their expectation for transition and success is great....all of them for all teams are.

But in going forward where by sheer numbers the highest percentage of starters in our NFL come from is from rounds 3-7 and UDFA not from those first two rounds. But its a numbers game. You increase the odds of success with Numbers.

ok so get that stat bs out of your mind set and back to football.

Its all about which one of theses young prospects will apply his opportunity with best result by working hard, being coached up and yes having talent. Phillips can become a pro bowler or he can be a Special Teamer for a few seasons and then selling cars and playing for me in Semi Pro...lol laugh (actually I have retired from coaching)

But we have all seen - for me a kid who ended up doing a murder suicide with the chiefs but he was a guy with very average skill sets. Great athlete locally and ended up playing football for Maine. But he kept on learning and working hard he did not have the size nor speed for an NFL LB but due to his hard work became a Starting LB in the NFL. He was such an inspiration to the locals playing Semi-Pro. But its a perfect example of taking the most of your OPPORTUNITIES. These kids drafted have so much more speed and physical skills but do they have that special something to dedicate themselves physically to become the best that they can be. That is the key guys/gals. Environment is a big variable and our beloved Browns do not have that at all. So its an uphill battle. But in the NFL the lifespan is quick so our NEW REGIME will be able to build that environment which I believe our last Regime (1 year) took for granted.

I hope we can establish the correct environment for these young men to get the most out of themselves and develop into great players!

jmhwishes

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
One of the things that I paid really close attention to after this draft was how each player we drafted reacted after being taken. I really think we got high character guys who are truly excited to be on our team. This includes Phillips.

He seems to be the most criticized pick we made but the more you dig into why we picked him, the more it makes sense.

Wills wants to prove that he is the best T in the draft.
Delpit wants to prove that he is the best S in the draft and that he can tackle.
Elliot will want to show teams why they shouldn't have passed on him.
Phillips will want to prove that it wasn't just all about Patrick Queen.

There are some really solid motivating factors there behind our top draft picks.

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
DPJ wants to prove he's not a 6th round talent.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Exactly. I just saw a way too early mock from 2020 and it had Delpit 6th overall and DPJ 22nd overall.

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season 2020 NFL Draft Browns select Jacob Phillips with the 97th pick

Link Copied to Clipboard