Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
Legend
Legend
E
this kid Harrison is not bad at all. Played LT so will understand blocking assignments especially as the Y TE even though the EXPERTS don't like him there cause they are looking at his weight.

But our Strength and conditioning coaches should be able to add 10-20 lbs of muscle over the next 2 seasons and increase his speed in the process. But he has the experience and knowledge to become adept at his duties as Y TE. Its all about angles not head on power.

He had a higher prospect grade than the other Bryant I was looking at. Going on NFL site in grading these rookies.

Kid could be better than expected regarding Red Zone possibilities. Again this mid-to late round picks its all about HOW THEY DEVELOP.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c - if this was posted before I missed it:

PFF draft review.

CLEVELAND BROWNS
Round 1 (10): T Jedrick Wills, Alabama
Round 2 (44): S Grant Delpit, LSU
Round 3 (88): DI Jordan Elliott, Missouri
Round 3 (97): LB Jacob Phillips, LSU
Round 4 (115): TE Harrison Bryant, FAU
Round 5 (160): IOL Nick Harris, Washington
Round 6 (187): WR Donovan Peoples-Jones, Michigan

Day 1: There were some concerns that there may be a run of tackles prior to the Browns’ selection, but they were left with their pick of the top options sans Andrew Thomas. Wills came in as PFF’s OT3 — and the 11th player overall on PFF’s Big Board — and he was the top tackle on a lot of boards out there, drawing a player comp to Lane Johnson in the PFF Draft Guide. He has special explosion and agility for someone that large and should be able to immediately make an impact in the run game after earning a 90.5 run-blocking grade with the Crimson Tide in 2019.

His ability to crush a double team then take a linebacker for a ride is special for a college tackle prospect.” PFF’s lead draft analyst Mike Renner

Day 2: The Browns were able to pick up not one, not two, but three top-25 players on the PFF Big Board. Two of those players came at selections 44 and 88, which is a testament to the value Cleveland was able to get.

Delpit fell down boards largely due to his concerns as a tackler, but what he is able to do in coverage is special. He has tremendous instincts and ability to read and break on routes, he has smooth movement skills on the back end of a defense, and he has the kind of length that can give bigger wide receivers or tight ends problems in the slot. That playmaking ability is apparent when flipping on the tape from his 2018 season when he recorded five interceptions and seven pass breakups.

Elliott was an even bigger steal in the third round. He has a solid combination of size and athleticism, and from a production standpoint, you can argue that no interior defender in this class has been better. Elliott has the highest overall grade of any interior defender in the class over the last two seasons. He is coming off a 2019 campaign in which he earned grades of 90.0 or higher as both a run defender and pass-rusher. Getting that kind of player — the 23rd-ranked player on the PFF Big Board — at No. 88 is tremendous value.

“He has all the makings of a player who can develop into a versatile starter with plenty of upside in the NFL.” – PFF senior writer Ben Linsey

As for Jacob Phillips, this looks like more of a reach than the other selections for the Browns, with guys like Troy Dye and Akeem Davis-Gaither still on the board at linebacker. From an athletic standpoint, Phillips has the explosion and burst that you like, but the change of direction ability isn’t quite there. That is something that’s likely to show up in coverage.

Day 3: Bryant isn't athletic enough to pass for a receiver and not strong enough to be a traditional tight end. Unless he transforms his body one way or another, he'll be in no man's land in the NFL. He did, however, improve his overall grade every year of his collegiate career and finished the pre-draft process inside the top-150 on PFF’s Big Board.

Harris ground out 2,921 snaps on the Huskies’ offensive line over the past four years. During his true freshman campaign in 2016, Harris saw four starts but was mostly rotated in at both left and right guard and earned just a 47.6 grade in pass protection. He was then moved to the starting role at right guard in 2017 and improved his pass-blocking grade to an average 63.3. He was moved to center after that, where he has thrived as a starter over the last two years. Harris improved in both pass protection and in run blocking, leading to a PFF overall grade that was among the 20 best FBS centers in both 2017 and 2018. If there’s a center you want playing out in space either in the running game or on screens, it’s Harris. The scary thing is that he’s just scratching the surface technique-wise.

The physical tools may be there from a testing perspective, but we never saw them consistently translate to separation down the football field with Peoples-Jones. Without another trump card, it's difficult to be convinced with his lack of production.

Draft Grade: A+

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2020-nfl-draft-grades-for-all-32-teams#AFC%20North

Highlighted the things that jumped out to me.

Last edited by mgh888; 04/27/20 11:27 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend

Grading the draft at this point is meaningless.

However, I think you can look at the draft and draw some conclusions.

There is always the BPA/Need argument. Then there is value.

Ideally you would like need to intersect with BPA. That appeared to be the case for Wills. LT was a need and according to the Browns their top choice of the LT prospects. They also stated that Wills was the top guy on their Board.

They traded back and got Delpit. Obviously a FS was a need going into the draft. Was he the top guy on their Board? Well they traded back. So probably not. But in trading back 3 slots they picked up a fifth. Then they selected a need at what they perceived was at the proper value.

The TE and DT seem like solid value picks.

The linebacker?

I like the center/guard pick he seems like a good fit who could develop.

People's the receiver looks like a steal. He seems a scouts pick. A guy with great measurables with low production from improper utilization.

I don't have a grade but the picks have logic.

The final test is still to come. I am not going to go overboard either way about great or poor the draft was.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Grading the draft at this point is meaningless.

Yup.
Aside from the fact that none of them have done anything on the field in the NFL, all we're doing is comparing what we did with what the Draft gurus thought we should do... and their speculation is wrong more than anything. If anyone needs proof or wants to dispute that, I simply refer you to how many Drafts we've been given that the media raved about where three years later we were talking about what bums those guys were.

Beside that, I think you nailed it: Need vs BPA is really a Venn diagram and you look for the player whose area of intersection is the largest. Given that, we theoretically did pretty ok this year.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
This Draft seems different than most others for the Browns, I mean they targeted certain positions and from what I see they pretty much stuck to the plan.

ROUND 1 (PICK #10) We all knew we needed a Top RT, and LT, they filled the RT position with an all-pro from Tennessee Jack Conklin, and then they may have picked the Best LT in the draft in the 1st Rd., in Round 1 (10): We Selected T Jedrick Wills, Alabama.

ROUND 2 (PICK #44) We have all known how badly our Safety Position needed an upgrade, they did so in FA with the acquisitions of Andrew Sendjeo from the Vikings, and Karl Joseph from Oakland, and in the 2nd Rd. they may have gotten a massive steal because his 2019 season wasn't what most "Experts" who had him as a Top 10 pick after his 2018 Season wanted, so they picked maybe the best Safety in the draft, in Round 2 (44): we selected S Grant Delpit, LSU.

ROUND 3 (PICK #88 and #97) On Defense we Needed help inside against the Run, So DL was a position of interest, so they added DT Andrew Billings from the Bengals, then they drafted in Round 3 (88): We Selected DL Jordan Elliott, Missouri, who may have been an even bigger steal than Delpit and was, he was the 23rd-ranked player on the PFF Big Board — and picking him at No. 88 is tremendous value. Then came LB, they brought in BJ Goodson from GB, but this position needs more help, even after they drafted in the 3rd rd. maybe the best tackling LB in the draft. In Round 3 (97): we selected LB Jacob Phillips, LSU. Even with his tackling ability many think this was our weakest pick, we will see.

ROUND 4 (PICK #115) We were pretty solid at TE, but many thought we would bring in a young TE on day 3, and man did they ever, The Mackey Award winner, 1st team All-Amecican TE who may be once again the best player at his position in this draft. In Round 4 (115): We Selected TE Harrison Bryant, FAU.

ROUND 5 (PICK #160) We all were thinking and the Browns were saying we could use some depth in the Interior of the OL, JC Tretter just signed a nice contract to be our Center for a while, but we took in the 5th rd. from Washington Center Nick Harris who can also play Guard, he was a pretty good choice, he is very durable and will learn from and backup JC Tretter, but could play Guard if needed, much need depth. In Round 5 (160): We Selected IOL Nick Harris, Washington.

ROUND 6 (PICK #187) We knew the Browns were looking to draft a WR somewhere in the 2020 draft, not that we were hurting at WR as much as some other positions. And they may have landed the Steal of the draft, at any position. When they took WR Donovan Peoples-Jones out of Michigan, right away the talk started around the NFL of how Jim Harbaugh may have held this kid back with the kind of Offense he ran, and how he was a great PR as well as a great WR and playing behind Landry and OBJ will only make him better. So in Round 6 (187): We took WR Donovan Peoples-Jones, Michigan.

Overall most are saying we had a top 5 draft, we will have to wait and see, but I will say that the Browns new FO and HC did a pretty good job for their first draft together ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
B
Legend
Legend
B
My general impression is we have some smart people in charge, and we will see how it turns out.

Dorsey wasn't all that smart but had a good rep, but some of his selections sucked.

It happens. We'll see.

My first impression is I like it.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
So your not smart if u don’t go to an Ivy League school ... awesome .. rolleyes ...

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
So your not smart if u don’t go to an Ivy League school ... awesome .. rolleyes ...

No, you're not smart if every draft pick you make doesn't pan out. I'll remember that one. wink

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Dorsey wasn't all that smart but had a good rep, but some of his selections sucked.

Remember this one. I will. naughtydevil

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Not at all. I didn't go to a Ivey. My ACT score was good enough to maybe get in....,it was 32 but that is the low end. I am glad I went to Florida. Swamp girl's and Honky Tonks with real country music about 25 miles west of campus in Dixie County. I mean swamp country.

We would have had a blast my friend. Well, assuming you like to drink beer, have fun, and hang with a bunch of Daisy Dukes, before there was a Daisy Duke. Now I remember, Daisy Mae from the Lil' Abner cartoon strip. Yep, you would have liked those chicks. Good times.

I mean, what's not to like about short shorts, big breasts, pretty faces, and cold beer? It usually has a pretty good ending.

Just saying.

Last edited by Ballpeen; 04/27/20 04:14 PM.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
And bro ... the best part ... there down to earth girls that act like they have no idea just how hot they are ... always loved about about women from across the pond ... thumbsup

Just having some fun with U dawg ...

Let me know what’s left after u give your tickets away ... would love to go to a game with U ... i may head up anyhow and if i do I’m coming up Saturday just to buy u dinner Saturday night ... if that’s OK with u ... thumbsup

B
Legend
Legend
B
Will do man. It has to happen this year. I am not getting any younger. Keep putting it off, well, you know, there may not be a next year.

There are no swamp bars in Cleveland, and none that I have found that play real country music, and don't tell my wife, but there are places where you find pretty faces, big breasts, and cold beer.

The ending is as I choose. I just go back to the room and watch sports center. It is what it is.

Just saying.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
L
Legend
Legend
L
Swamp Girls..... Was that a ‘60s B movie?

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
O
Legend
Legend
O
He had a good rep... of making good draft picks.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Well Well Well.. I must be on a Cleve browns board if I see Ballpeen and DiamDog going at it!!

I hope you two have been in good health!!...

And you two should have liked the draft. They picked good talent for positions of need, not just flashy names. But of course, we will see what happens when the pads are on!!

V
Legend
Legend
V
I think the Browns got first round talent on each of their picks! They are freaking awesome! Anyone who disagrees is clueless!

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: DogNDC
Well Well Well.. I must be on a Cleve browns board if I see Ballpeen and DiamDog going at it!!

And you two should have liked the draft. They picked good talent for positions of need, not just flashy names. But of course, we will see what happens when the pads are on!!

Good to see you Dog. We had some good, honest conversations in the past. I appreciated that. Much respect.

Actually it's not the same. Diam and I are pretty good friends these days. Age has a mellowing effect.

I liked the draft and I like some of the undrafted guys we signed. We filled needs but didn't reach in doing so, so we held to the BPA as well. Both important.

Only time will tell, but I think we have a pretty solid triumvirate with Berry, Stefanski, and DePodesta. All sharp men, with different skill sets.

Fingers crossed.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: DogNDC

Hope your in good health too my friend ... hope all is well with u sir ,... thumbsup

Loved our draft ...

Wasn’t happy with the firing of KJ but I think (hope) were in good hands ... thesy’ve done a good job so far IMO (that prolly don’t bode well for them as I have been wrong more than usual lately ... ) ...

Can’t wait for the season ... C U ON THE ISLE thumbsup

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I really like Wills. I think Delpit could be an impact players. We'll see on the rest. If they all become more than a situational player/special teamer, then it's all gravy.

you had a good run Hank.
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T

Brett also doing a good breakdown on the Browns draft...

S
Legend
Legend
S
I am on the side that grading drafts immediately after them is just plain dumb. I understand the need for them by the networks, especially at a time like this when there is little to no live sports going on.

With that said, I like that we addressed some needs. We have a LT prospect. I hope he can take over the job from day one.

I love Grant Delpit. Ridiculous athlete with playmaking ability. Also love his size cause it really seems like our guys in the past have gotten bullied by bigger more physical receivers. Delpit played hurt last year and still was one of the best players on a championship defense. I think he's definitely an opening day starter.

It's going to be a tough road though, especially with a brand new staff, new scheme, veteran guys having to learn right with the young guys. I really hope this coaching train stops with Kevin Stefanski.

I really like the pick of Donovan Peoples Jones. I think you can move him around a little bit, he can return on special teams. It will be tough to find him playing time with the current depth chart, but I really don't think he was fully utilized in that Michigan offense. You can't beat the value though.

So yeah I like the positions they addressed, but we will have to see how everything fits in this brand new system.

I hated to see JK Dobbins end up in Baltimore. He's going to be a player and a guy we are going to have to deal with twice a year. It was a really good pick on their part

L
Legend
Legend
L
I didn’t know anything about Delpit until the draft, but after some readin’, he’s my favourite pick.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
E
Legend
Legend
E
I agree how can anyone really evaluate the draft except by seeing how teams possibly filled some holes. In lieu of that I think we filled our holes with proficiency. wink

My sleeper pick is Jordan Elliot...pleased with all that I have read about him.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Every year the the consencus on this board applauds and oggles the Browns draft.
Doesn't matter the year or the GM making the picks. Heck Sashi and Farmer were getting ready
To have statues erected outside the stadium in their likeness based on their drafts.
Time will tell. But dont be surprised if Wills and Delphit aren't All Pros right out the gate
They are still rookiea

Legend
Legend
From what I know, it appears that the Browns had a solid to better draft .... as did much of the NFL. I think that this draft was really, really deep. We'll see in a few years (and hopefully not a few front office and coaching staff changes) from now.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
I didn’t know anything about Delpit until the draft, but after some readin’, he’s my favourite pick.

As a SEC fan who watches SEC games, Delpit is a good player. A real good player.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

The Browns' picks filled needs, and mostly at good perceived value. It's all you have to go on to grade. We did well from that view.

Time will tell.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
Every year the the consencus on this board applauds and oggles the Browns draft.

Yeah, I have come to pretty much despise post-draft posts. It's always so one-sided and you know what folks are going to say as soon as you see their name. If someone questions a pick, a half-dozen posters call him out. If a poster says stuff like I am so glad the Browns did not draft Malik Henderson and did not re-sign Joe Schobert....no one says a word. LMAO.

With that said, I am okay w/our draft. I thought they made some good picks. Just way too early to tell.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I think the Browns got first round talent on each of their picks! They are freaking awesome! Anyone who disagrees is clueless!

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
It was sarcasm.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
An inside look at Cleveland Browns draft: Why they took who they took
Updated 11:49 AM; Today 6:05 AM

By Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer
THE BIG PICTURE

One of the reasons the Cleveland Browns draft went so well is GM Andrew Berry and coach Kevin Stefanski got to know each other when Stefanski first interviewed for the coaching job in 2019.

That’s important.

Berry was among those who interviewed Stefanski in 2019. So was Paul DePodesta, the Browns’ chief strategy officer who recommended Stefanski to be hired over Freddie Kitchens. Former GM John Dorsey pushed for Kitchens, and he had the most influence. But DePodesta and the Haslam family saw the chemistry between Berry and DePodesta a year ago. That’s why they quickly pivoted to them after Dorsey and Kitchens were fired following the 2019 season.

When Stefanski was hired, I was concerned the Browns would be a coach-driven team. That means the coach would run the draft, the GM would be nothing more than a glorified player personnel director who brought information to the coach.

It turns out Berry had the final say. But he and Stefanski had discussed how to build the team, the “tough, smart and accountable” mantra being part of it.

COACHING AND SCHEMES

Berry has a clear understanding of how Stefanski runs his offense – lots of tight ends, zone blocking schemes, etc. The Browns also used significant input from offensive line coach Bill Callahan, defensive coordinator Joe Woods and other coaches when putting the draft plan together.

For example, the Browns wanted to avoid what happened to Genard Avery in 2019. Avery was the team’s fifth-round draft choice in 2018. The linebacker/defensive end had 4.5 sacks playing 58 percent of the snaps in the Gregg Williams defense. But in 2019, Steve Wilks replaced Williams. The bottom line was Wilks ran a different defense and Avery didn’t fit. He played five snaps on defense for the Browns last season.

In the middle of the 2019 season, Avery was traded to the Philadelphia Eagles (where Berry was an assistant GM) for a fourth-round pick in 2021. Avery played little on defense (33 snaps), but was a core special teams player.

The scheme was why the Browns drafted LSU linebacker Jacob Phillips (No. 97) over Ohio State linebacker Malik Harrison. In the Joe Woods defense, that inside SAM linebacker needs more speed – a strength for Phillips. Harrison is an old-fashioned run-stopper.

Harrison was picked directly (No. 98) after Phillips. He went to the Baltimore Ravens, whose defense is better suited to Harrison’s skills.

The Browns wanted to avoid drafting a player who doesn’t fit their schemes. This is especially true in the middle and lower rounds of the draft, where success often depends upon which team selects a player and how he’s used.

ABOUT TACKLES ARE TACKLES

When Berry said “tackles are tackles,” it was based on a few things:

1. He was talking about tackles who are worthy of being drafted in the top 10 to 15 picks. These are young men with a high level of athleticism, not just any tackle. These are players with quick feet and the intelligence to adapt to coaching and learn a new position.

2. Berry believes defenses have changed. The days of lining up your best pass-rusher over the left tackle and allowing the two to duel it out on every snap are over. Now, defensive coordinators move their best pass rusher to different parts of the line.

3. The Browns wanted two strong tackles. That’s why they invested $42 million ($30 million guaranteed) in free agent Jack Conklin to play the right side. Conklin did play left tackle in college and made the switch to right tackle in the pros.

4. Callahan had a very strong voice in this selection. The Browns rated Wills as the best pure tackle in the draft. He has always been a right tackle in high school and college. The Browns believe he has the mentality and physical gifts to play either side. Callahan is convinced Wills is ready to make the switch.

5. Wills is very open to the change. It’s why he’s already been in contact with former Browns left tackle Joe Thomas. He’s studying videos of other great left tackles. The Browns talk about Wills being “coached hard” by Nick Saban and his Alabama coaching staff. That also is a reason they rated him so highly.

6. Callahan has a specialized zone blocking scheme. It’s also one favored by Stefanski. Wills is a powerful run-blocker, something very important as the Browns plan to put more emphasis on the running game.

7. Much of the success of this draft is based upon Wills making the change to left tackle. It’s possible that he could end up at guard or right tackle in the future, but that’s not why they drafted him.

WHAT CAN HE DO?

1. Second-round pick Grant Delpit said some of his tackling problems were due to the high ankle sprain he dealt with for at least half of the 2019 season. But the fact is Delpit has missed a lot of tackles in the last two years: 18 in 2018, 20 in 2019.

2. While the Browns believe Delpit can improve his tackling, they didn’t want to draft him simply on that projection. Rather, how can he help the team even if his tackling is inconsistent?

3. This is where Woods played a role. Woods loves Delpit’s versatility. He can play either safety spot. He makes big plays with pass breakups and interceptions. He can blitz the quarterback.

4. The “smart, tough, accountable” standard came into play because Delpit missed only one game with the high ankle sprain. He knew his team had a shot at the national title and he wanted to be on the field.

5. Profootballfocus (PFF) gave Delpit a first-round grade: “Missed tackles be damned, Delpit does things in coverage no other safety in this class can match. At the very least, he can completely erase tight ends or bigger slot receivers in a man-heavy defense with his length.”

6. The Browns had the same view of Delpit, valuing what he can do and planning to put him in position to accentuate his strength.

TOO GOOD TO PASS UP
Florida Atlantic tight end Harrison Bryant was a big fourth-round surprise to the Browns. Paul Vernon, AP

ABOUT THE BROWNS DRAFT

1. The Browns did have an interest in Wisconsin linebacker Zack Baun, but this is where the scheme issue came into play. They were certain he was not the right fit. His style of play was ideal for the New Orleans Saints, who swapped their No. 88 pick for the Browns’ pick at No. 74 and took Baun.

2. The Browns also added a third-round pick in 2021. They had a high third-round grade on Missouri tackle Jordan Elliott and believed they could grab him at No. 88. So the deal was Elliott and a third-rounder in 2021 for Baun.

3. After Wills and Delpit, it’s unfair to project the other players as starters. If you can come out of a draft with a pair of starters and a pair of role players, that’s a success.

4. The Browns and other teams have used some data showing most drafts have 30 to 35 starters. It’s a higher standard than simply a player who starts for a season or two. It’s a player who would start for multiple years on a good team. Elliott might not develop into a full-time starter, but the Browns believe the 303-pounder can be a good role player on the defensive line.

5. The Browns didn’t intend to pick a tight end at the start of the draft, but they were overjoyed when Harrison Bryant fell to them in the fourth round. Bryant is the Mackey Award winner as college football’s best tight end. He showed excellent pass receiving skills at Florida Atlantic. Stefanski loves tight ends. Don’t think twice, grab him now... and they did.

6. Why draft Nick Harris in the fifth round? Like Bryant, there is no reason to expect him to start this season. But Harris is a zone-blocking center, perfect for Callahan’s scheme. He is the “tough, smart and accountable” athlete loved by Browns scouts. He also played 17 games for Washington at guard. This pick, No. 160, came from the Indianapolis Colts when the Browns dropped from No. 41 to No. 44 in the second round.

7. Just as Elliott gives the Browns depth on the defensive line, Harris does that for the offensive line.

8. In the sixth round, the Browns took Donovan Peoples-Jones from Michigan. They know his raw physical skills have far exceeded his production in three Big Ten seasons. He was picked No. 187. Sort of a “why not?” pick, see if the Browns can coach up this guy who was perhaps the top high school receiver in the country when he passed up OSU to sign with Michigan. He also can be an asset on special teams as a punt returner.

9. The Browns want to begin developing their young players, not simply throwing them immediately into action. It’s what good, stable organizations do. It’s what the Browns have never done since 1999 because of all the changes. The hope is ownership will be patient with Berry/Stefanski, who do seem to work well together.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/05...-they-took.html

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Legend
Legend
I like the sounds of Delpit being able to matchup with TE’s ... our Achilles heel for so long. Especially now since Baltimore so heavily relies upon them.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:

Yeah, I have come to pretty much despise post-draft posts. It's always so one-sided and you know what folks are going to say as soon as you see their name. If someone questions a pick, a half-dozen posters call him out. If a poster says stuff like I am so glad the Browns did not draft Malik Henderson and did not re-sign Joe Schobert....no one says a word. LMAO.

With that said, I am okay w/our draft. I thought they made some good picks. Just way too early to tell.

I knew you were going to post that...lol laugh

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
I like that this draft actually felt kind of "thought out"

Like there was actually intent behind all the picks made this year.

There's totally been years in the past where I kind of felt like every pick except one or two felt like a head scratcher.

Like people forgot about their homework and just sort of scrambled things together.

This year felt calculating. A lot of the picks fill needs, but didn't feel like drafting for need. Not a lot of picks that felt like they were reaching anywhere.

To that I'm happy

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thanks for the read Pluto ..

Gives me a better understanding of this Fo and staff Drafted .. On record as concerned with Wood as we start a new season. Have feeling we will get gassed in the run game again. I am an old fashion D guy . I Draft Harrison , stick him in the middle and watch him grow as the seasons roll by. Malik shuts down the run game and is a hell of a blitzer up the middle. I Would have picked either the Tweener Chinn or the Swiss Army knife Davis over Delpit .. Would have reached for an Edge guy over a TE at that point in the draft.

The last few seasons the D scheme has been as much a problem as the personnel. Light weight often hurt DB's don't help.

Legend
Legend
I agree. We knew we had holes to fill, but didn’t reach ... and still did take BPA at positions where we didnt really need.

It seemed like our priorities were:
- Scheme fit
- Youth
- Character

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I agree. We knew we had holes to fill, but didn’t reach ... and still did take BPA at positions where we didnt really need.

It seemed like our priorities were:
- Scheme fit
- Youth
- Character

I think scheme fit and youth were near the top of the list along with raw talent. I would say that’s why we took Bryant and Elliot when we did even though they weren’t positions of great need.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper
Doesn't matter the year or the GM making the picks. Heck Sashi and Farmer were getting ready
To have statues erected outside the stadium in their likeness based on their drafts.
Time will tell. But dont be surprised if Wills and Delphit aren't All Pros right out the gate
They are still rookiea

That is totally false, and utter horse crap. No, for many years many of the people on this site would have done better than the Browns management. Me included. I will say that Dorsey did better, I have no issues with this draft. Plus or minus there is an approach that can be seen.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
Horses don't have utters bro... You're thinkin' of cows. wink

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Did you hear about the cow that jumped over the barbed wire fence? Utter distruction.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season 2020 NFL Draft your thoughts on our draft? Much too early grades etc..

Link Copied to Clipboard