Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Legend
Legend
Quote:
The question will be who else (if) we keep six ... makes the roster.

Depending on the health of OBJ and Jarvis, we might keep 5. I don't see 6.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
BTW Diam ... whats the over and under on a second Rashard Higgins thread?
... rofl ... *L* ...

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Quote:
The question will be who else (if) we keep six ... makes the roster.

Depending on the health of OBJ and Jarvis, we might keep 5. I don't see 6.

That is a good point ... the health issues.

I see a possible problem in keeping (6), this season being the TE position.

We will for sure keep (4), but keeping (5), is a good possibility even with (1), FB where there can be some position (HB) overlap.

We will use some 13 Personnel groupings, so our 3rd TE and our 3rd WR might receive simular snap counts overall.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
I don't think it's overplayed at all. Everyone has people they just like working with... whatever it is, however you want to measure it, Baker & Higgins work well together. Better than most others.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: eotab
j/c...

Ok I read all the articles.

Regarding Higgins refusing to play in the SeaHawks game.

The only thing we got on this is ONE ARTICLE which seems fishy to me where there is only ONE Article with no follow up confirmations with players or coaches on Higgins Refusing to play.

So its all on this Atlantic reporter who states he has multiple ANONYMOUS reports. That is it. I'm surprised some of you act like its 100% true. Why not one player commenting on somebody making probably the most undesirable act as a professional NFL Player. But not one follow up confirmation from a coach or player...not one follow up confirmation of even an Anonymous source by other beat reporters just this one Atlantic guy...Sorry I say it never happened until I get more confirmation then this one guy and only one guy that I never heard of.

jmho

I respectfully disagree w/the notion of dismissing the reporter's claim because no coach or player backed him up.

In fact, I think the opposite is true. If the report was false, I would have expected another player, coach, or Higgins himself to come out and deny it. Much like the Browns saying that the reports of them trying to trade OBJ were false.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I disagree. I think they had chemistry in 2018 in part because of what Pit said. They were both on the second team early on.

Last year, Higgins was on the field for 172 plays according to the info device provided. I looked-up his number of targets. Baker targeted him only 11 times. That isn't a special chemistry.

As far as him making the team goes........I would guess that he will make it, but I would not be shocked if he were cut. Bull and Diam have both mentioned special teams. Ideally, you would want your back-up receivers to contribute on special teams. Does Higgs play special teams? If so, does he excel there. I know Hodge was good on special teams. I just checked..........he was ranked 7th in the entire NFL in special teams tackles last year. I also remember him making some big hits. Oh, here is the link for the special teams tackles.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/defense-special-teams-total-tackles

Legend
Legend
How many of the plays where Higgins was on the field were pass vs run plays?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
How many #3 receivers play special teams?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg

I find it more interesting that the Browns resigned him after he acted this way. It is really telling how little they thought of Freddie Kitchens.

Could also mean it wasn't nearly as big a deal as some think

Last edited by Damanshot; 05/06/20 01:25 PM.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg

I find it more interesting that the Browns resigned him after he acted this way. It is really telling how little they thought of Freddie Kitchens.

Any player with a known attitude issue you have to really evaluate thoroughly before signing ... no-one wants a quitter or a cancer on the team to influence others or be a distraction.

The fact we resigned Higgins and we have enough staff on hand to know the truth and extent of what happened last year, leads me to think the issue is not significant. I have no way of knowing for sure.

Higgins surely has some stiff competition to make the team - but I'd wager a buck to say he does/will.

Last edited by mgh888; 05/06/20 02:26 PM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
The fact that Freddie is gone speaks volumes
He played favorites and divided the locker room
And he was egotistial enough to think his job
Was secure after the Bengals

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

If we're going with what it could mean, it could mean that this FO and coaching staff were not the people it happened to.

They may just be hoping for the same results the two had in 2018 from a third WR aspect.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
I don't think it's overplayed at all. Everyone has people they just like working with... whatever it is, however you want to measure it, Baker & Higgins work well together. Better than most others.

Ancient history Purp ... ancient history ...

Bake is not a rookie working exclusively with Higgs anymore ... and we have a hell of a lot more talent then we did when Higgs was “his go to guy” ... naughtydevil ... OBJ & Hooper and Hunt ...

As Mr. Segar would say ... Turn the page .. Tuen the page dawg ... thumbsup

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
How many #3 receivers play special teams?

IF People’s is ready ... WILL Higgs be the 3rd receiver? ... Peoples will fly past Higgs when he’s ready ... People’s can do things Higgs can’t ...

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
IF People’s is ready he can do things Higgs can’t ... IF he is ready and at least one of the other WR’s like Hodge is a good special teamer ... Higgs will have a fight on his hands for a roster spot ...

Higgs is in for an interesting year ... love to see him and Bake look like they did in 18 .. thats be huge for us ...

GOOD LUCK HIGGS!!! thumbsup

^Together with Juice and OBJ they make (5) ... so we have room for all three of the above ... and we could keep (6 depending) ... so who else might give Higs a fight for his roster spot in your opinion?

Ratley? Who like Pit mentioned above got a lot more opportunities last season [me] and drew many flags ... and really didn't make the most of them.

IF People’s isn’t ready and Higgs is the clear cut #3 I think Higgs roster spot is golden ...

IF People’s is ready he will be #3 just based off the things he can do Higgs can’t ...

Then it gets harder for Higgs to make the team IF one of the other WR’s is good on ST’s ... the other dudes are all younger than Higgs with the potential for more upside ... Higgs is who he is ... he’s either at or very close to his ceiling ...

I didn’t say Higgs wouldn’t make the team ... i think he will ... depending on People’s there is a chance Higgs is in a fight for his roster spot ... based on what i said above .. is my scenario really that absurd ...

There’s a reason he signed barely over a vet minimum contract with us ....

T
Legend
Legend
T
You twice mentioned things Peoples Jones can do that Higgins can't?

Elaborate because I don't really believe it!

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

Ancient history Purp ... ancient history ...

Bake is not a rookie working exclusively with Higgs anymore ... and we have a hell of a lot more talent then we did when Higgs was “his go to guy” ... naughtydevil ... OBJ & Hooper and Hunt ...

As Mr. Segar would say ... Turn the page .. Tuen the page dawg ... thumbsup

You mean Bob Seger, diam? wink

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Metallica

L
Legend
Legend
L
They did a very good cover. I’m a big Seger fan, but it might be better than the original.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
B
Legend
Legend
B
JC....time to stop the argument over this.

It doesn't matter. It's all about what one considers a "go to guy" That means different things to different people.

No doubt Baker and Higgy had a chemistry Bakes rookie season. They developed that in camp. That doesn't mean they Bake won't find chemistry with Odell, or Hooper, or whoever.

Lets hope we find chemistry with 2-3 receivers.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Seriously?

V
Legend
Legend
V
Btw--------who says Higgins is the third receiver? He wasn't last year. And I read where he has a chance to compete for the 3rd WR spot this year. Not sure how people believe that helping out on special teams isn't important for backup players? But, to each their own.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
JC....time to stop the argument over this.

It doesn't matter. It's all about what one considers a "go to guy" That means different things to different people.

No doubt Baker and Higgy had a chemistry Bakes rookie season. They developed that in camp. That doesn't mean they Bake won't find chemistry with Odell, or Hooper, or whoever.

Lets hope we find chemistry with 2-3 receivers.

Why? ... we have seven pages now.

... rofl ... and the re-signing has yet to officially be announced.

If the biggest debate here is over a #3 WR, then that in itself is pretty ironic.

And worth a good LOL ... after a pause for reflection.

[Linked Image]

V
Legend
Legend
V
What should we talk about, bro? Any advice on topics that you won't find hysterical? Let me know and I will try and talk about things you want us to talk about.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
What should we talk about, bro? Any advice on topics that you won't find hysterical? Let me know and I will try and talk about things you want us to talk about.

Don't get me wrong bro ... laughter is a good thing right about now
... *L* ...

Besides I'm laughing with ... not at thumbsup

Just grateful that we are not debating the QB we past on in the Draft...

[Linked Image]

V
Legend
Legend
V
Gotcha. I misread your post. I thought you were laughing hysterically at guys like me who are questioning just how good Higgins is. My bad and I apologize.

I will add that I wish we would have never passed on Mahommes, Watson, and even Wentz in the draft. wink

D
Legend
Legend
D
I had a 50/50 shot .. *L* ...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Jesus man, when the he!! are we as fans going to stop complaining about what we could have had in the draft. I mean really - how far back are we going to go and say "oh what we could have had!"

Look, the draft is a crap shoot. 1st round picks only have a 55% success rate. You always hope you picked right but how do you know for sure - you don't.

Later rounds have even worst results. I mean if were going to cry - how about selecting Spergon Wynn in 2000 with the 183rd pick when Tom Brady went 199th in that same draft. Wouldn't that be the biggest failure of all time? I mean really, was Wynn actually higher on NFL draft boards than Brady? It would appear so.

I remember when we took Thomas #3 overall and the outrage that we didn't pick Peterson. That went on for years even though Thomas was quietly putting together a Hall of Fame career on a crappy team.

Look, there is zero guarantee - a big fat zero - that if the Browns had drafted Wentz, Watson, or Mahommes for that fact that they would have had the same success in Cleveland. Tom Brady most certainly would not have become the "GOAT" if he had been drafted by Cleveland at 183 instead of Wynn. Peterson most certainly wouldn't have had the same success especially since there would have been no Joe Thomas blocking for him like he had with Pro Bowlers McKinnie Bryant, Steve Hutchinson and Matt Birk when he was running for the Vikings.

Yes, the Browns have made a lot of picks that have not lived up to expectations. So has every other team in the NFL. To think though that if the Browns had drafted that player we would have been a winner and a playoff team is an assumption you cannot make because the variables are different.

Heck, I remember the total outrage when the Browns refused to meet Peyton Hillis contract demands and the world was ending. The Browns let him go and what was Peyton's career like after leaving the Browns? Two different teams in 3 years - 671 yds rushing and a ticket out of the NFL and he was looking for top RB pay and people wanted us to sign him.

Mayfield is the Browns QB and entering year 3. I'm cautiously optimistic he's going to look like the guy we drafted him to be and could care less about some other player that is not on the Browns.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
V
Legend
Legend
V
How about you concentrate and worry about your own thoughts and I'll concentrate on my own. I do not need you to tell me what to think. Get off your high horse and stop pretending you know things that others do not.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
How about you concentrate and worry about your own thoughts and I'll concentrate on my own. I do not need you to tell me what to think. Get off your high horse and stop pretending you know things that others do not.

Oh, the irony.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Glad to see you are back w/your typical brilliant insights.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Me too!

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The truth hurts.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
For me, complaining about Higgins not going into a game is way overblown.

For anyone who is complaining about it, my question would be do you know the circumstances of the incident?

Watching the video posted about Higgins' targets in 2019, it's interesting to note a bunch were in the first game. I think 3 or 4 it was?

He was injured and when he returned healthy, he essentially was demoted due to injury. Yes, it happens, but it's frustrating I'm sure.

Also keep in mind that Freddie was the "sidekick" to a GM who called out every single member of the football team for not being "real."

Under normal circumstances, sure, I might have issues with Higgins not going into the game. But nothing has been normal in Cleveland the entire time Higgins has been here.

The fact Higgins WANTS to stay in Cleveland should say something. And no, it's not because he's not good enough to play elsewhere.

Higgins isn't getting a pass and his actions have been noted. He was not released last season and he was resigned this season. I think it's 100% accurate to say we don't know and may never know the full story here.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

We were discussing which WRs would make the team and I have been thinking more on it since that time. I'm guessing that Higgins makes the team, but again, I wonder if the Special Teams contributions will factor into the decision.

I think it is safe to assume that OBJ and Landry will get the majority of reps. They are the best 1-2 punch in the entire league.

I have to give Diam and Bull credit for bringing in the special teams angle. I did see that Hodge was tied for 7th in the entire league in ST's tackles. He's an interesting guy. There is video on YouTube about this miraculous catch he made while w/the Rams. He is also very fast.

That got me to thinking about 40 times. So, I looked them up.

Hodge: 4.39

DPJ: 4.48

T. Taylor: 4.5

Natson: 4.5 [although I think he is just a returner and not a gunner]

Ratley: 4.54

Higgins: 4.64

I know we will keep OBJ and Landry. After that, I am really leaning toward keeping Hodge. I like his speed and I think being a good tackler on STs is very important. The Browns already released Adarius Taylor, who was awesome on special teams. I think Justin Burris was another guy who was good in that area. He is gone, too.

Not sure if this regime will value STs, but it is something to consider.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

Higgins has proven in the NFL what the other receivers (not named Landry or OBJ) have not...he runs good routes...he gets open...he catches the ball.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
j/c

Higgins has proven in the NFL what the other receivers (not named Landry or OBJ) have not...he runs good routes...he gets open...he catches the ball.

Aside from OBJ & Landry, they all have to prove it with the new staff. I'm all for Higgins, but he has to earn his spot the same as the others and the reality is that he might not.

One thing is clear, we should be deep at WR... heck, at all of the skill positions. If nothing else, this roster should be able to survive injuries without missing much of a step. On offense, anyway.

Browns is the Browns

V
Legend
Legend
V
I think the speed that Hodge possesses is a great compliment to OBJ, Landry, and Hooper. He won't draw much attention and while teams roll their coverage towards other guys, he can use his speed to get open deep. Much like that long pass he caught from Baker towards the end of last year. Also, Shanny used to do that w/Taylor Gabriel back in the day.

Legend
Legend
Speed definitely won't hurt his cause, but I think it will come down to how well he runs routes and how much of a premium this staff puts on that. If the offense is the technical sort that absolutely requires crisp and precise routes, that speed won't be as much of an edge. If they're a little more relaxed in that regard as long as he gets his pre-snap reads right, then it's a giant factor in his favor.

I never paid enough attention to know where he falls in this regard, but if he runs good routes, then its all moot and he clearly has an edge on the others.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
If this offense is anything like the Shanahan offense (and it was reported that Mike McCoy helped him put the offense together in Minnesota) then precision by the receivers will be very important. That tends to favor a guy like Higgins, who is extremely precise in his routes, and adjustments.

We'll see what happens. It's all conjecture and prognostication at this point.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns re-sign Rashard Higgins

Link Copied to Clipboard