Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
https://nfltraderumors.co/browns-re-sign-erfa-rb-dontrell-hilliard/ F

Not a big fan of him as a KR ... but he’s an adequate 3rd RB.

I think he’s in for some competition to make the final roster, but we’ll see

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
He is serviceable.

We signed 2 udfa, Brian Herrien and Benny LeMay. One of those guys could possibly take his spot.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
J/C I am a little suprised by this as I really did not think he did much at all. Maybe with the new scheme he will show a little more, but overall not impressed with his play.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I hope he doesn’t make the team ... he was not good last year ... he showed me nothing ...

V
Legend
Legend
V
I liked D'Ernest Johnson better than Hilliard. Is he still w/the Browns?

Legend
Legend
Why? Is this camp bait?

Welcome aboard. Usually pulling for all contract signings. But this guy? Why? Not worth much based on last year. Depth perhaps.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
He didn't show alot of burst last year
Or reading the hole. With the way RBs
Come and go on teams his spot is far from secure

Legend
Legend
He sets the low bar for the UDFAs.
Chubb and Hunt set the high bar.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
JAG

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
same here actually; I forgot all about Johnson

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
same here actually; I forgot all about Johnson

According to the internet, which has never let me down, he is still w the Browns.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I will say, I loved when we put him in during garbage time against the Ravens in the first game last year. He still was able to score a TD. That’s exactly the type of back breaker you like to see when you play teams like that.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Zero downside.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Zero downside.

I agree. I won't mind if the staff deems someone better to keep, but Hilliard is a decent 3rd back.

Due to the nature of the position you need to keep 3-4 backs.

No doubt if Chubb goes down Hilliard isn't going to replace that production. Hunt could, but to me he is a co-starter. He isn't the typical back-up.

We can't expect Hilliard to gain to gain 1600 yards if given the reps, but he could log 800 if given the carries.

That isn't bad from the 3rd guy.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Thanks I thought so

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: dawglover05
I will say, I loved when we put him in during garbage time against the Ravens in the first game last year. He still was able to score a TD. That’s exactly the type of back breaker you like to see when you play teams like that.

I think he is most valuable in situations like this.

He also is quick enough to be a real threat in the screen game. He has 4.42 speed.

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Zero downside.

Of course nobody liked that Hunt was susp. last year.

I don't think Hilliard scared any of the Browns' opponents last year, and he got way too many touches in the first 8 games, for the other options on the team.

Like in the movie My Cousin Vinny,

Where the non Ralph Macchio kid says about hiring the wrong attorney, it's not just not asking the right question, what if he asks a bunch of questions and the witness has all the answers, he ends up proving the prosecutions case.

So no downside, except for the no upside.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He'd better be able to return punts or kickoffs at a high level or it's just a waste on the roster.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
He'd better be able to return punts or kickoffs at a high level or it's just a waste on the roster.

With the expanded rosters this year, maybe not. There could be room for him and some rook.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

With the expanded rosters this year, maybe not. There could be room for him and some rook.
yeah it will be interesting to see what positions benefit from the extra spots ... especially since WR is not a high priority for Stefanski and our FO

V
Legend
Legend
V
We really don't know if WR is a priority or not. The Minni situation was more complicated than what are assuming.

Legend
Legend
Hilliards 2019 season. Enjoy.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

yeah it will be interesting to see what positions benefit from the extra spots ... especially since WR is not a high priority for Stefanski and our FO

I wouldn't say wr isn't a priority, but TE is, we will probably keep 4 on the roster. I bunch receivers and tight ends together and just call all of them receivers. So those numbers cancel each other so we still have the 2 extra slots to fill.

I don't get the impression linebackers are key in our D, so we probably keep one extra safety.

The last slot? The best of the rest I suppose.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We really don't know if WR is a priority or not. The Minni situation was more complicated than what are assuming.

Kindly note that we do not assume...it's called 'educated guesswork'. rofl

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
https://nfltraderumors.co/browns-re-sign-erfa-rb-dontrell-hilliard/ F

Not a big fan of him as a KR ... but he’s an adequate 3rd RB.

I think he’s in for some competition to make the final roster, but we’ll see

Good news!

I am a big fan of this. He is an excellent receiver out of the backfield and runs with good vision between the tackles.

He also had some nice KR called back due to stupid penalties.

He will be more appreciated by the fans when Hunt is gone thumbsup

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm not sure how long Hilliard was trying to play through an injury. He definitely looked less good the longer the season went on, and he did end up on IR. We've had worse guys on the team in the past, and if healthy, he could be a pleasant surprise. He plays special teams.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
E
Legend
Legend
E
I see People-Jones taking his KR duties.

This kid LeMay is a short yardage back one that we lack. We'll see what happens but there is nothing Hilliard brings to the table that the Georgia back Herrian can't do.

Hunt is excellent and will take most of the reps Hilliard was getting the first half of the season.

He is meh to me. Seems to work hard but I see these guys wanting their UDFA picks to take over his roster spot.
jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: eotab

This kid LeMay is a short yardage back one that we lack. We'll see what happens but there is nothing Hilliard brings to the table that the Georgia back Herrian can't do.

Hunt is excellent and will take most of the reps Hilliard was getting the first half of the season.

He is meh to me. Seems to work hard but I see these guys wanting their UDFA picks to take over his roster spot.
jmho

notallthere
We have the best short yardage RB in the League in Nick Chubb.

[Linked Image]

O
Legend
Legend
O
If we're hitching our wagon to Chubb for the long haul (sounds good to me), then getting someone that can take those short-yardage carries off his plate is smart for his longevity.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
They Vikings used Jerrick Mckinnon in a variety of ways before he left for San Fran. I can absolutely see him being used like that.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: BpG
They Vikings used Jerrick Mckinnon in a variety of ways before he left for San Fran. I can absolutely see him being used like that.
good point

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg

jmho

notallthere

First and goal might not agree with you.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I was just thinking about this the other day .. how bad were we in goal-to-go situations?

I can think of numerous examples of us failing to punch it in ... just horrible playcalling and execution

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg

jmho

notallthere

First and goal might not agree with you.

poke what about the other ten players?

You think that they have any control over the success of a play?

What about the predictable play calling?

And how about the runs Chubbs made out of nothing? ... making a silk purse out of a sow's ear!

You people beat all I have ever seen.

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 05/18/20 12:38 PM.

[Linked Image]

P
Legend
Legend
P
I actually believe Hunt is a better short yardage back. Chubb is certainly a more productive back but in short yardage situations I think Hunt holds the advantage.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chubb is a very good back, and has made something out of nothing many times, but that is not the same as being a good short yardage back, let alone the best one in the league.

If he were the best one in the league, then he could get one or two yards even with the predictable play calling and poor blocking.

He does not just take the ball and hit the line, he takes a slight pause and looks for a hole. That is not the best approach in short yardage.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Chubb has been amazing when he can cut and go. He sees creases on the field, and just explodes. Unfortunately. we stunk last year in "short" situations.

This could be a playcalling issue, could be an OL issue, and it could be that Chubb is not as good in stacked box situations as he is in others. Nonetheless, last year he was called upon 16 times in 3rd/4th and short (1-2 yards) and gained a total of 17 yards on those runs. That doesn't sound too bad, until you also notice that he had a long run of 15 yards in that situation. That means that the other 15 runs in 3rd/4th and short gained a total of 2 yards.

Nick Chubb Stats, Splits | ESPN
https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/3128720/nick-chubb

We need to improve here, and I think that we will.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Are u saying Hilliard can be used like the Vikes did McKinnon? ... Is that what your suggesting?

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
J/c

Just on a similar note ... out of boredom I’ve watched a few games from 2018. I watched our game at Oakland (first of all, we BLEW that game AND got the short end of a few key calls ... no way we shoulda lost that game).

Anyways, watching Carlos Hyde was painful. The fact that he was getting the majority of our carries at that point makes no sense to me ... and IYRC Chubb had 3 carries for like 100 yards and 2 TDS haha.

Chubb’s combination of power, speed, and elusiveness is crazy

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I actually believe Hunt is a better short yardage back. Chubb is certainly a more productive back but in short yardage situations I think Hunt holds the advantage.

Why?

Does he break more tackles? No! Not imo.

Does he run with better vision ... again not imo.

Jim Brown wouldn't have scored on some of those GL plays this past season ... again imo.

I don't think that we have seen the best of Nick Chubb hitherto.

The best is yet to come thumbsup

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Re-Sign Dontrell Hilliard

Link Copied to Clipboard