Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1768635 06/09/20 04:50 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,692
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,692
Do parents still torture they children with that stuff?

If you were a child of the 40's, 50's, 60's, you know what I am talking about.

When you were sick, Mom would come in and rub your chest down with the stuff, then you waited for the Dirty Sanchez maneuver, she would rub a big glob under your nostrils.


I have never purchased a jar of Vicks Vaporub. When I was a kid, things came in jars.


If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong




[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #1768637 06/09/20 04:57 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 19,265
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 19,265
Oooh yeah. My great grandma used to rub it on our chest then safety pin a cloth diaper under our pajama top, I'm guessing so it wouldn't get into the clothing. That smell will be forever embedded in my olfactory memory. Can you still buy that stuff?


And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #1768638 06/09/20 04:59 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 30,957
A
Legend
Online
Legend
A
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 30,957
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Can you still buy that stuff?


Yep. We have some. I use it occasionally even now.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,692
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,692
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Can you still buy that stuff?


Yep. We have some. I use it occasionally even now.



You use it or do you use it on others?


Ok...here Honey, let me rub this on your chest. I can dig that. thumbsup


If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong




[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #1768641 06/09/20 05:18 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 13,205
D
Legend
Offline
Legend
D
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 13,205
I've had chronic bronchitis since I was little. My mom used to put it on my chest, neck, and under my nose. She'd wrap a bath towel around my neck and spread the ends of the towel over my chest, then I'd wear my PJ's over that. She would also put a glob of Vicks over the steam outlet of a vaporizer that she'd keep running in my room when I was sick. I do think it loosened my cough and helped me breathe. A woman I used to work with once told me that when you feel "the crud" coming on, you should put Vicks Vaporub on the soles of your feet and put heavy socks on before bedtime. I never tried that one.

Ballpeen #1768642 06/09/20 05:23 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 30,957
A
Legend
Online
Legend
A
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 30,957
You obviously don't know my wife very well. laugh

Dave #1768643 06/09/20 05:30 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 30,957
A
Legend
Online
Legend
A
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 30,957
I have a cousin in Seattle - only 1 of the 4 in that family I can stand - that has some ?disease? skin issue?

His palms and soles of his feet callous, constantly. 2 things have worked for him. Walking on sandy beaches, and putting vick's on his palms and feet, then putting a plastic bag over them - at night.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,692
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,692
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
I have a cousin in Seattle - only 1 of the 4 in that family I can stand - that has some ?disease? skin issue?

His palms and soles of his feet callous, constantly. 2 things have worked for him. Walking on sandy beaches, and putting vick's on his palms and feet, then putting a plastic bag over them - at night.



Sounds like a weird guy to me.


If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong




[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #1768645 06/09/20 05:39 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 30,957
A
Legend
Online
Legend
A
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 30,957
Not certain what you mean here.

Ballpeen #1768647 06/09/20 05:51 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 75,483
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 75,483
I used to use it when i was a little kid ... grandma’s house when i was sick haha


"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Boston is far to the left as KC settles into the slot. Fannin is flanked out wide to the right. Judkins and Sampson are split in the backfield as the ball is hiked ... Here we go."
Ballpeen #1768651 06/09/20 06:35 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,991
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,991
I won't use it anymore because I wore contacts for many years, and I constantly touch or rub my eyes. That stuff does work, though.

I miss the old fashioned hot toddy. Equal parts burbon, honey, and lemon juice.


[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,692
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,692
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
Not certain what you mean here.



Vicks vapo on feet and hands, wrapped up in plastic bags.....totally normal. How could I think that a bit odd?


If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong




[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #1768669 06/09/20 07:57 PM
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 55,499
V
Legend
Offline
Legend
V
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 55,499
That stuff was nasty, but I think it actually worked in regards to clearing up the sinuses.

Dave #1768673 06/09/20 08:33 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,186
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,186
Quote:
put Vicks Vaporub on the soles of your feet and put heavy socks on before bedtime.



try it.
it's pretty trippy.

I actually do 'all of the above' including the foot treatment.


"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
Ballpeen #1768676 06/09/20 08:54 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 13,732
L
Legend
Offline
Legend
L
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 13,732
You guys are, like, old. wink

But, I think my mom would rub it on my chest when I was a little fella and sick or whatever. It burned, sorta, IIRC.


[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

Ballpeen #1768677 06/09/20 09:04 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 30,957
A
Legend
Online
Legend
A
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 30,957
Well, like I said, he has a skin problem.

Ballpeen #1768685 06/09/20 11:07 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 28,446
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 28,446
Vicks Vaporub is just spicy Vaseline.


Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Ballpeen #1768688 06/09/20 11:46 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 34,804
O
OCD Offline
Legend
Offline
Legend
O
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 34,804
Anybody remember the vicks inhalers that looked like a tube of lipstick? Those were good to open your sinuses. Never cared for the chest rub because the vapors get in your eyes. And you can't wipe it off when you don't want to smell it anymore.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,408
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,408
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Vicks Vaporub is just spicy Vaseline.


Did you know the inventor of Vaseline invented it as an internal lubricant and ate a table spoon every day


Joe Thomas #73
BADdog #1768690 06/09/20 11:55 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,438
E
Legend
Offline
Legend
E
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,438
Originally Posted By: BADdog
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Vicks Vaporub is just spicy Vaseline.


Did you know the inventor of Vaseline invented it as an internal lubricant and ate a table spoon every day


Thats nasty.


No Craps Given
EveDawg #1768691 06/09/20 11:59 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 34,804
O
OCD Offline
Legend
Offline
Legend
O
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 34,804
At least he ate it and wasn't shoving it in the other end.

BADdog #1768695 06/10/20 12:30 AM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,050
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,050
Originally Posted By: BADdog
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Vicks Vaporub is just spicy Vaseline.


Did you know the inventor of Vaseline invented it as an internal lubricant and ate a table spoon every day


I forget which one, but I remember a former Browns player saying that his grandmother used to give him a spoonful whenever he was sick.


Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 75,483
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 75,483
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Originally Posted By: BADdog
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Vicks Vaporub is just spicy Vaseline.


Did you know the inventor of Vaseline invented it as an internal lubricant and ate a table spoon every day


I forget which one, but I remember a former Browns player saying that his grandmother used to give him a spoonful whenever he was sick.
ooo


"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Boston is far to the left as KC settles into the slot. Fannin is flanked out wide to the right. Judkins and Sampson are split in the backfield as the ball is hiked ... Here we go."
Ballpeen #1768702 06/10/20 06:42 AM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 27,850
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 27,850
My grandfather swore by it. If he felt a cold coming on he slathered his feet, and his chest with it. Took two shots of whisky (he was a non drinker except for that) and went to bed. He always said he woke up fine the next morning and never had a cold last more than a day.


I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
BADdog #1768730 06/10/20 10:39 AM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 28,446
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 28,446
Originally Posted By: BADdog
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Vicks Vaporub is just spicy Vaseline.


Did you know the inventor of Vaseline invented it as an internal lubricant and ate a table spoon every day


My grandmother, my Dad's mom, swore on using WD-40 for knee and elbow joints. Says her doctor had recommended it years ago (in the 50s or 60s) and she would rub a little into her skin regularly.

She still moved pretty good at 98, so maybe she was on to something smile


Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,617
P
Legend
Offline
Legend
P
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,617
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
I have a cousin in Seattle - only 1 of the 4 in that family I can stand - that has some ?disease? skin issue?

His palms and soles of his feet callous, constantly. 2 things have worked for him. Walking on sandy beaches, and putting vick's on his palms and feet, then putting a plastic bag over them - at night.


Being in the construction business calluses were a constant. Luckily as a young kid I bailed hay for farmers. A farmer I worked for taught me a trick I would never have thought of. It comes in differing names such as Udder Ointment, Bag Balm and Udder Balm.

Some types are greasy much like Vicks. Some have a smell to them. There is NOTHING that addresses dry skin, calluses and even burn treatment better that a person can get without a prescription. To this day I keep a jar of it around. My wife swears by the stuff as well.

The type we use is the brand Ideal and is called Udder Balm. The reason we use this one is because it is not greasy. It rubs in and has no odor. You can purchase it or order it from Tractor Supply.

It says for animal use only. The reason being it contains ingredients that would require a prescription for human use. If he is willing to give this a try, he'll never use anything else again.

I just wanted to add that this brand is odorless as well. It comes in a white tub with a blue label.


Last edited by PitDAWG; 06/10/20 11:51 AM.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,617
P
Legend
Offline
Legend
P
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,617
It can't be any worse than Cod Liver Oil.


Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Ballpeen #1768748 06/10/20 12:13 PM
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 15,341
P
Legend
Offline
Legend
P
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 15,341
My Mom would always rub it on our chest then make us swallow a spoonful, it was awful but it always worked superconfused


John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Ballpeen #1768752 06/10/20 12:28 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,563
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,563
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Do parents still torture they children with that stuff?

If you were a child of the 40's, 50's, 60's, you know what I am talking about.

When you were sick, Mom would come in and rub your chest down with the stuff, then you waited for the Dirty Sanchez maneuver, she would rub a big glob under your nostrils.


I have never purchased a jar of Vicks Vaporub. When I was a kid, things came in jars.


I still use it from time to time when needed.


#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
PitDAWG #1768768 06/10/20 02:41 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 30,957
A
Legend
Online
Legend
A
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 30,957
I can't believe I failed to mention this: He doesn't do it every night. Perhaps once every 10-14 days at this time.

Callouses are fine. People that work with their hands get them. Where my fingers join my palm, I have them. (in fact, a friend of mine was over Sat. night. He's an office type guy. He was impressed. )

But, for my cousin, the callouses were from the tips of each finger all the way down - up - to his wrist. Same for his feet. From the toes to the back of his foot.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,617
P
Legend
Offline
Legend
P
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,617
I seriously believe he should try this. I have a friend whose feet were so dry they would just crack open and bleed. He had tried everything. He was amazed by the results. I mean it has no odor, isn't greasy, works wonders on skin an is inexpensive. With the greasiness and odor of Vicks I think I would be more than willing to try what might be a better alternative.


Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Ballpeen #1768794 06/10/20 05:35 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,380
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,380
We used it as a rub, and also in a vaporizer for youngest kids at our house. I used to go to a health spa, way back when it was allowed. It had a pipe to carry the steam in on its cycle. It was popular to wet a paper towel. add liquid Vicks and put it on the pipe. Great for colds and flu, opened sinuses up, but your entire can was mentholated. It did help.


"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,991
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,991
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Originally Posted By: BADdog
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Vicks Vaporub is just spicy Vaseline.


Did you know the inventor of Vaseline invented it as an internal lubricant and ate a table spoon every day


I forget which one, but I remember a former Browns player saying that his grandmother used to give him a spoonful whenever he was sick.


I'd never admit I was sick again.


[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,692
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,692
Don't eat it. Camphor is highly toxic to humans.


If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong




[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #1768881 06/11/20 12:14 PM
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 9,828
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 9,828
I came across a box of Kleenex that were infused with something that smelled like Vicks. I was not a fan. Just being in the same room made my nose start running.


[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Vicks Vaporub

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5