Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Legend
Legend
Looks like canning Babcock is working out for the Leafs. They're up on the Wings 6-0 halfway through the 2nd. tongue

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Looks like canning Babcock is working out for the Leafs. They're up on the Wings 6-0 halfway through the 2nd. tongue

Younger and more flexible coaching who are in touch with the KIDS who are today's stars pays off. Hint, hint Columbus.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Been awhile since we talked hockey.

Today, the NHL announced a playoff format (dates to be determined). And in a first-round matchup, it’s Toronto and Columbus in a best of five.

Finally, some serious sports to look forward to.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
I see Columbus is one city with a chance to be a hub for playoffs ... that’d be cool

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Tampa Bay Lightning’s concerns about Stanley Cup Playoffs are valid
https://puckprose.com/2020/05/17/tampa-bay-lightning-fan-groups-hockey-ambassadors/

The Tampa Bay Lightning aren’t huge fans of the 24 team postseason.

It seems more likely with every passing day that the NHL’s going to find a way to play through the Stanley Cup Playoffs. If it happens, it’s probably going to feature 24 teams instead of 16. The decision to move forward with discussing regarding the format was passed nearly unanimously on Friday, with 29 of the 31 teams voting “yes”. Who voted no? The Tampa Bay Lightning and Carolina Hurricanes.

While the Hurricanes haven’t spoken about why they voted “no”, the Lightning’s player representative, Alex Killorn, talked about the decision. Here’s what he had to say, via The Athletic.

My team also felt it was unfair that the teams with a bye would not be as well prepared for a playoff series as the teams that had already basically played a playoff series to get into the playoffs.

Another one of his concerns was that teams like the Montreal Canadiens, who had virtually no chance of making the playoffs, are now in the postseason.

Killorn also said his team is ready to play and they’re fine with how the vote played out. However, he did bring up some excellent points about the proposed 24 team postseason and his concerns warrant a further look.

First, let’s examine his point about teams who didn’t have a chance at making the postseason. The Lightning had a very bad start to their season. However, they’ve been able to right their ship and have been the best team in the NHL since the start of December.

The Lightning fought hard to get out of the hole they dug themselves into early, so it’s understandable why they were a bit reluctant to support allowing teams like the Canadiens into the postseason. And yes, the “play-in round” is the postseason.

To expand on this concern, it’s not fair to the other playoff teams to allow a team as far out of the playoff race as the Canadiens to have them make the postseason. Imagine how the Pittsburgh Penguins must feel. They’ve had a lot of obstacles, but they’ve been a very good team this year in a very competitive division. Their reward for finishing third in the Metropolitan Division? A play-in round date with the Canadiens.

Killorn’s primary concern, though, was probably the bye. 99 times out of 100, it’s better to have a bye than it is to play. Players might get injured, games aren’t played on paper, anything can happen in the playoffs, etc. However, this might be the one time out of 100 where the more rested team might not have an advantage.

Think about it. Sure, the teams with the “byes” will be having a tournament of some kind. But even if seeding is at stake, it’s hard to see any of the teams taking it too seriously. There’s probably going to be an unspoken, mutual agreement to maybe not try to kill each other out there since both teams will be getting used to being back on the ice.

After the tournament, they’re going to have to play against a team that just had to fight for their playoff lives. It’s not hard to see how this could end poorly for the higher seed. They probably haven’t played a truly meaningful game of hockey in months. Yet they have to face a team that just played at least three (assuming the play-in round will be a best of five series).

At first glance, it’s hard to see why the Lightning wouldn’t be fans of the 24 team postseason. But if you think a bit deeper about it, their concerns are quite valid and only time will tell if those concerns ring true.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
L
Legend
Legend
L
Thanks for that, good read.

gmstrong

-----------------

S
Legend
Legend
S
I have seen a lot of talk about how there should be an asterisk next to the champion this year. I mean whatever, just being able to see live hockey would be awesome. I think it would be universally known within the sport, that things were different this year. I don't think there needs to be an asterisk.

If I were Bettman, I wouldn't even award the Stanley Cup. Make it a tournament, and just leave it at that. It's going to be different anyways with no crowds (the game won't change) but I would just have it be a wash in the record books. Just let guys let loose and compete. The bigger preparation is how the 2020-2021 season is going to be handled.

I am glad they are trying though. I am sick of watching games from the 80's and 90's

L
Legend
Legend
L
Respectfully disagree about not awarding the Stanley Cup. I’m not even sure I’d want to play in that tournament if that were to happen, and I don’t think I’d even watch the games on TV if the Cup wasn’t part of it.

gmstrong

-----------------

S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Respectfully disagree about not awarding the Stanley Cup. I’m not even sure I’d want to play in that tournament if that were to happen, and I don’t think I’d even watch the games on TV if the Cup wasn’t part of it.

There isn't a hockey player in the world right now who isn't dying to get on the ice, professional or otherwise.

I don't care enough to demand an asterisk, but this won't be the same grind it usually is.

S
Legend
Legend
S
I actually got on the ice this week. Was a bit rough on the legs. I am glad it was not an actual game. Just a light scrimmage for an hour.

The rules are pretty strict. You can rent the ice for an hour. 10 skaters maxium plus two goalies. You cannot sit on the bench. Everyone has their temp checked when you walk in, and they require masks until you get on the ice.

The thing that sucks is that the ice is expensive to rent, which is not a big deal when you get 20-25 guys, but at 10 and 2 goalies, that is tough, but people are desperate at this point.

I have not been away from the game this long since high school lol

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Good to see hockey coming back. All I can say is " LET'S GO BLUES" Today is one year they won their 1st Stanley Cup!!!

S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
Good to see hockey coming back. All I can say is " LET'S GO BLUES" Today is one year they won their 1st Stanley Cup!!!

Sucks for Blues fans too as they looked like they were lined up to get a good look at it again.

I think with this virus, with this new weird format, the time off, etc... This tournament they are putting together will cause everything to be thrown out. I wouldn't be surprised if a team outside of the pre-covid favorites wins this thing. Part of hockey is getting into rhythm, getting good momentum (oMg MoMeNtuM dOesNt ExIsT iN sPoRts) and all of that is now gone.

The Montreal Canadiens are the crappiest team that got in, and I don't think they have the firepower to win it all, but if Price is healthy, and they can put something together? Who knows.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
True. Between the long layoff and how things are being set up a team could come out of nowhere and win it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I just want to quote my dad, a former semi-pro defenseman and a big fan of John Brophy, "only sissies wear lace on their gloves".

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
L
Legend
Legend
L
Old Broph... rest his soul. Talked to him once.... a very different guy away from the rink.

Grew up about 35 miles from where I live.

Died in a car accident about 10 years ago, once coached the Leafs but his final coaching job was in Junior A in Antigonish, N.S., where after a very tough game, he once told a newspaper reporter I know that he wanted to cut the head off the other team’s coach.

With an axe.

gmstrong

-----------------

S
Legend
Legend
S
Auston Matthews testing positive for Covid-19, I also heard a member of the Boston Bruins, and several Tampa Bay Lightning players have also tested positive. I have a feeling this summer tournament they are planning is going to get scrapped.

There hasn't been any announcement of that yet, but I think they have to be serious about this. I want hockey back but this just seems risky. I think they should probably scrap this season. Keep the stats for the games that were played, and focus on possibly starting the 2020-2021 season on time.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I’m beginning to think that is the better approach. I’d love to see a Cup tournament, but I’m not as sure it will happen, not like I was a couple weeks ago

gmstrong

-----------------

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

S
Legend
Legend
S
full schedule looks like this thing is a go. I am pretty shocked that they're going to be able to pull this off, but here we are.

As far as predictions go, who the hell knows. Everything these teams built up during the season is gone. I think certain factors are undeniable, but I think there are quite a few unknowns out there.

Before COVID, I think your upper echelon of the league was St Louis, Boston, Washington, Tampa, Colorado, and Philly. You could sprinkle in Pittsburgh, just because come playoff time, they will always be a force.

But now, certain teams feel like they have to be playing with house money.

I think the Blackhawks are going to struggle. If Crawford can't man the nets (and he has yet to practice) they have literally nothing behind him after trading Lehner.

Montreal is the team that everyone is joking about, because they probably shouldn't be in, but they are. If Price gets hot, and he's had time to rest and heal, they might be able to steal a short series.

I still really like Vegas even though I disagree with the move to fire Gallant.

If I were a wagering man, and I am. I would just systematically put money on every underdog in this first round. I think there are too many unknown factors, and you may get some good value. After the first round, when this weirdness of everything being back, stands being empty, no energy etc, I think the hockey will get back to normal.

I am the first one to say that home ice in the NHL means diddly poo. Teams usually win series' on the road. I think the energy in a building is incredible, but both teams can feed of it, so it's a wash. I wonder if we will see a lot of post-whistle stuff. I think with the lack of fans and energy, guys will keep it business. You may get occasional pushing and shoving but I think you will see more of a practice style game, where it is just hockey. Think of a game 7 in a series where nobody wants to be the guy that takes any kind of penalty. I think you get that kind of focus.

I just can't wait to watch. I am going to be parked on my couch a week from Saturday.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I’m really looking forward to it. So much is unknown, but I have a few thoughts:

* I agree that if Carey Price gets hot, Montreal could beat Pittsburgh. But that’s the only way. Their forwards are mediocre.

* Edmonton is a bad matchup for the Blackhawks. Edmonton is fast and youthful, ready to go on a run.

* Toronto has WAY more offensive talent than Columbus, but the Blue Jackets play a style the Leafs don’t deal well with: they are a heavy team, relentless on the forecheck, physical, and always in your face. (I love Torts)

CBJ won’t win a playoff series with skill, but they can win one with brawn.

gmstrong

-----------------

S
Legend
Legend
S
columbus and toronto should be really fun. i really want to watch all of these games lol

i mean even florida/nyi should be really good, tons of good skill, speed all over the place

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Cool name. Can't wait to watch them in the Cup Finals next year (you know that'll happen).

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
S
Legend
Legend
S
The name is corny but those jerseys and that color scheme is awesome.

Seattle has needed a team for years. It's a good hockey area (junior hockey is huge out there) and they should develop a healthy rivalry with their neighbors up in Vancouver.

If I were them, I would go the Vegas route. Spin all the draft picks you have into more picks that get backloaded for future years. Sign young speedy guys on the cheap, and go and sign Robin Lehner in the offseason. He would be a fantastic sign for a brand new team. Sucks the Hawks had to trade him but it was the right move at the time, when they were on the outside of the playoff race and nobody knew a gloabal pandemic would change everything. Now they are in this tournament because the field was extended, and their goaltending situation is so bad right now they may have to give me a call lmao.

I saw Amazon has the rights to the new arena, and the whole thing is aimed at being green and eco friendly. I know Amazon can be knocked for a lot, but I hope this works, and other arenas can follow suit.

People will always boo Gary Bettman, but this Seattle move, the success of franchises in Las Vegas, Nashville, Columbus, etc, combined with how exciting the level of play is, will cement him as the greatest commissioner in history of the league.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I hope they hammer the Canucks every time they play them, but I still wish Quebec City had a team (although I’m not sure the level of corporate sponsorship there would be sufficient).

gmstrong

-----------------

S
Legend
Legend
S
This slate tomorrow... Just amazing

Rangers/Hurricanes 12pm NBC Sports

Blackhawks/Oilers 3pm NBC

Panthers/Islanders 4pm NBC Sports

Canadiens/Penguins 8pm NBC

Jets/Flames 10:30pm NBC Sports

I mean they really don't want me doing anything else tomorrow huh?

S
Legend
Legend
S
As far as predictions go, I usually do these for every playoff, but with this, who knows.

Part of me thinks this will be business as usual, and you'll have teams like Boston, St. Louis, Washington,etc as your heavy favorites, but I would not be surprised if one of these fringe teams just gets hot, has a good system, and great goaltending, and goes on a run. This is all unprecedented. Nobody was able to compete or practice during the pandemic. Eating smart and working out is great, and I am sure guys followed that, but nothing can simulate what you get in a game, or even during practice. So either the hockey will be good because guys are healthy and rested, or it's got an early season feel to it where teams are trying to relearn each other.

Like I said, if you gamble, just put money on underdogs, and you will probably make a profit.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I’m getting geeked up for Sunday night, 8 pm my time Leafs/Jackets.

gmstrong

-----------------

S
Legend
Legend
S
nice little scrap 2 minutes into the rangers/hurricanes game lmao

I am so glad that that playoff hockey is back

L
Legend
Legend
L
Well, Chicago are drubbing the Oilers.

gmstrong

-----------------

S
Legend
Legend
S
Well, Chicago are drubbing the Oilers.

Did not see that coming. This could end up being a really fun series if the Oilers strike back next game

Legend
Legend
Pens lose a wild one. I cant see them losing to Montreal tho

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
I was not ready to watch hockey this season, as I thought this whole tournament was a farce....but boy was it fun yesterday. I was only able to catch the Hurricanes/Islanders and some of the highlight shows, but good hockey is back!

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: jfanent
I was not ready to watch hockey this season, as I thought this whole tournament was a farce....but boy was it fun yesterday. I was only able to catch the Hurricanes/Islanders and some of the highlight shows, but good hockey is back!

I really like the way they set up for the format. I think it is fair and also should produce the best product for the fans and media.

And basically fans get an extra round of playoff style hockey which is awesome.

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
L
Legend
Legend
L
CBJ is a tough team to play against, they are who we thought they were. 2-0 over the Leafs tonight, the second an empty-netter.
Montreal over Penguins was a small surprise. If you lose game 1, you’re immediately in trouble in a best of five.

gmstrong

-----------------

S
Legend
Legend
S
CBJ is a tough team to play against, they are who we thought they were. 2-0 over the Leafs tonight, the second an empty-netter.
Montreal over Penguins was a small surprise. If you lose game 1, you’re immediately in trouble in a best of five.

Not to mention that you don't get that change of scenery or any travel day. The condtions will be exactly the same, so it makes it real tough. I think this will be especially difficult in the nba. You don't get that little benefit of role guys playing better in front of supportive crowds.

Legend
Legend
That was crazy

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum NHL 2019-20...Lace em up boys!

Link Copied to Clipboard