Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Obviously, we can say “A WIN’ or “MORE BOOZE” or “NOT SUCKING” ... but in all reality, specifically what do you need to see from this team to make you feel better on Thursday? I have a few things:

- Baker not look so unsure and lost. His problems reading a defense and stuff have been well documented, but aside from that he looks so lost. He has zero confidence. It might take Stefanski to put in some easy rollouts/drag routes/etc ... nothing more than elementary throws.

- Stefanski’s offense look like we all thought it would. This was mind boggling to me. It looked SO SIMILAR to last year’s drop back, long developing routes, lose focus of the run game, etc. What happened to the ZBS/PA combo? What happened to misdirection? Rollouts? Keeping the defense off balance? I want to see that Kubiak/Shanahan offense.

- OBJ have zero drops. I dont care about the highlight catches .. I’d like to see a STEADY game. Like 6 catches for 65 yards.

- More involvement from Hooper. He was invisible, and that shouldn’t be the case.

- More pressure from Garrett ... IDK if Woods has him in the wrong spot as some mentioned, but he can’t be a non-factor for us to be successful

- NO MISSED XP’S OR KICKS UNDER 50 YARDS

- Sendejo demoted

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
A new owner!

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Let Baker play his game and use his talents to it's fullest. More easy roll outs and short passes like you said. He needs to trust the talented players around him and not try to win the game all by himself.

The play calling must be better, that's on the OC and coaches. Stefanski must do a better job.

Myles Garrett has to wake up and be more aggressive. He needs to forget about what happened last year.

O
Legend
Legend
O
-The team coming out strong (ability to get past the Balt game and refocus quickly)

-Improvement across the board. No reason why we can't look good against a bad team.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
I'm not sure there is anything they can do to make me feel better. They'd have to improve so much in so many areas across the board, it's just not likely to happen at all.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Pretty much what you said.

Baker getting his head straight and keeping it straight.

Improved play-calling & game plan.

RUN, RUN, RUN, RUN, RUN, RUN, and then RUN some more.

More tight ends in general, not just Hooper.

No more FORCING it to OBJ. Let him be strictly a decoy if that's what it takes. He has yet to do anything to deserve any ego-stroking or rewards in Cleveland.

Members of the secondary sharing the TV screen with the Bengal receivers.

Definitely a monster, show-me-why-you-got-paid game from Garrett. Although I have a hard time judging him against LJ and that Ravens offense. It's just so ridiculous it should almost be against the rules.

A WIN.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes

M
Legend
Legend
M
I'd like to see the following:

- A coherent game plan.

- A confident Baker Mayfield.

- OBJ to play intelligent football w/ a positive demeanor.

- Myles Garrett to disrupt the game (in a good way!).

- YAC. It seems like our guys catch the ball and are immediately brought down.

- A made FG and XP.

- Zero turnovers.

- A defense that can get off the field.

- Stefanski to competently manage the clock before halftime.

- A touchback on a kickoff.

- Improved 3rd down efficiency on offense.

- A back 7 of the defense that at least pretends to know what they are doing.

- No more 3rd and 41 situations.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I have a feeling this game will be similar to the Jet game last year. We will win but I will come out of the game feeling worse than before it.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
We will get out butts kicked. What would make me feel better is if we actually call a game that suits the strengths of our players.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
I'd like to see 2018 Baker Mayfield again; then I think the rest of our offensive woes (except for maybe a certain diva WR) take care of themselves. Throw in a competent defense - not great, just competent, and likewise from our special teams; just do your jobs.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
I have a feeling this game will be similar to the Jet game last year. We will win but I will come out of the game feeling worse than before it.

Ha. This is my fear as well.

To avoid that I'd like to see --

Baker with two or more TDs, no interceptions, and 65%+ completion percentage.

The defense not make a rookie QB look like an all pro.

Low number of penalties.

No coaching blunders.

Myles with 2 or more sacks.

Convincing win.

I can be excited about week 3 if the team can pull that off. It's really not that much to ask.

Legend
Legend
time travelling to draft lamar jackson #1 overall like i said we should.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
What would make me feel a lot better would be to see OBJ get involved early and often. While I don't consider him to be a cancer, the situation can become cancerous. It is week-in-week-out fodder for the media; and regardless of the cliched statements from players, in the locker room as well. There are enough dark clouds swimming over this franchise.

A solid win with Baker and OBJ looking the part would go a long way towards alleviating some of the pain and stress from the fanbase and media.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
R
Legend
Legend
R
I remember you liked him, but what were your reasons, and did you really want us to draft him with the first overall or later?

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
this is my thought as well

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Nice point about the situation w/OBJ. He’s really not done much wrong ... it’s just his presence

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
No reason why we can't look good against a bad team.

Cincy fans are saying the same thing.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
True...

I also forgot one thing... enough e with the dang injuries. Is like to go into the next week, with extra days, with no new injuries.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Nice point about the situation w/OBJ. He’s really not done much wrong ... it’s just his presence

Well, to be fair, he hasn't done himself many favors. We can complain about drops, but it's not like he's trying to drop the ball... OBJ doesn't need any extra work on the JUGS machine (if he did, he'd probably just practice one-handed catches anyway).

If I'm going to complain (which I shouldn't here, there are enough other threads to do that), I would complain about jerking a players face mask after a 1 yard gain... Especially after watching he and said player jawing at each other the two previous plays.

That goes deeper than OBJ and whether he's a good player... it also falls at the feet of his coach (imo). If I'm coach, he's spending the rest of the series on the sideline - no explanation required and none given.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
What would make me feel a lot better would be to see OBJ get involved early and often.

I'm opposite, I would be happy running the ball and sticking with it and not abandon the run to make one player happy. OBJ doesn't seem to run a route, He seems to just run out there and expect the ball to get to him. I would be happy with smash mouth running and seeing several players getting involved with the game, especially Higgins.

Legend
Legend
I wanted him #1 overall. I posted a lot about my reasons but mainly because the guy played in a pro style offense at Louisville, tough ACC conference, and put up great passing numbers despite not having anywhere near the talent or weapons that the other QBs had.

For the record, I was fine and understood why mayfield went #1 since he was more refined as a passer. I just prefer lamar because he is a duel threat.

I can’t claim that baker is a better passer than lamar anymore. No one can.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
C
Legend
Legend
C
Swish was so, so right.

R
Legend
Legend
R
You nailed it.

I think the thing that no one could have predicted was his work ethic. They said on the broadcast on Sunday his MVP trophy is still in the wrapping.

That's pretty cool.

I don't mind Lamar having success, especially if he's a good dude that has put in the time. I just wish it wasn't for the Ravens. I keep thinking about the sports cycles where teams are bad and good and bad and good. The Ravens are never bad even when transitioning from once dominant players to new players. And the Browns are always bad. Why do their fans deserve all of that good fortune and we don't?

Seems like in the cosmic universe of sports fandom, we just keep getting kicked in the groin over and over and over again.

At some point, the "will it ever be our turn" turns into "I don't think we'll ever be good". I'm pretty much there.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
What would make me fell better? Starting 2-0 and not having the 2nd game of the season be a "must win" every year

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
J/c

I can’t say I wanted Lamar. I would have been OK with him, but I preferred Allen or Darnold to Baker or Lamar.

I also WILL say that I really wanted Watson. He’s one guy I thought would do well

Legend
Legend
bro i hate that the rats drafted him. but i heard about him back when he was still in high school, and followed him his entire college career. so its impossible for me to not root for him. i just wish he was great but on 8-8 teams so it wouldn't matter lol.

my biggest gripe is that theres guys who go "no one could have predicted this."

uhh, yes we could've. people "predict" guys who are supposedly first rounders who end up busting all the time, so in reality, everyone is guessing on any player.

however, Ed was on the train, i was. Chris Simms was. just watch the tape in college in and talent literally explodes in your face.

but to bring it back to the thread and how it relates, what would make me feel better is baker playing to the strength of his game.

look at his footwork. bro, you're not wilson or Murray. he's all over the pocket like he's athletic. he's not that athletic. his is a pocket passer and needs to play like one. stop rolling out for no damn reason. set your feet when you throw the ball. guys on the D line are easily able to predict when the ball is coming out. he's gonna end up leading the league in batted balls, and it has nothing to do with his height.

and what would make me feel better is Baker actually showing that he is THE man on this team. shut the media and us fans up with this 'appeasement' of OBJ. play your game, spread the ball around the field and make a statement that you're the undisputed leader of this team.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
We need to not "Browns it".

Chubb was averaging 6 yards a carry, Hunt had 5.5

We probably had no chance to win the game, but wouldn't have gotten blown out if not for the super browns plays like missed xp, Odell's drop, missed FG, fake punt, Hodge's short arm attempt, fumbles, etc.

If we didn't give them 18 free points in the first half, maybe we can keep running in the 2nd half and end up only losing by 10 or less and then against a weaker team have a shot at the win.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: myka
We need to not "Browns it".

Chubb was averaging 6 yards a carry, Hunt had 5.5

We probably had no chance to win the game, but wouldn't have gotten blown out if not for the super browns plays like missed xp, Odell's drop, missed FG, fake punt, Hodge's short arm attempt, fumbles, etc.

If we didn't give them 18 free points in the first half, maybe we can keep running in the 2nd half and end up only losing by 10 or less and then against a weaker team have a shot at the win.

I think people really underestimate how disruptive and deflating poor quarterback play is to an entire team. Offense, defense, special teams. The deflating feeling that you have no chance to win.

It would not surprise me at all to learn that Baker has been so bad in camp that the team kind of so this coming and just rolled over as soon as it started materializing in the game. That's how the team kind of played.

NFL players aren't dumb. They know if you don't have a QB, you don't have a chance to win.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'd like to see them come out the tunnel looking like they're angry. Not reckless, just looking like they care, are focused, and aren't already thinking about surrender. Preferably, they look like that until the final whistle.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I need to see 3 TD's and at least 250 passing yards to feel any better whatsoever.

The defense is just not going to be good, but if the offense isn't good, it's another top 5 pick.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg
I'd like to see them come out the tunnel looking like they're angry. Not reckless, just looking like they care, are focused, and aren't already thinking about surrender. Preferably, they look like that until the final whistle.
well said. I think there are a lot of games where I get the vibe like we’re just out there

R
Legend
Legend
R
We are a mentally soft team.

Wilt at even the smallest adversity.

T
Legend
Legend
T
What would make me feel better, (in the course of one game)?

Offense completing drives for TD's like they moved their first 3 possessions down field last week,

An 11 point or more win, that is not in doubt from the lead until the finish.

The Defense to do Way better at making their offense look like it doesn't know what to try next.

The turnover battle being +2 or better.

Seeing 2nd half adjustments that make it look like the Browns figured the opponent out, not the other way around.

Baker and Odell on the same page
Looking like the offense did in 2018, catches spread around to 7 or more receiving options, and just looking like you can pass at will.

The running backs just imposing their will, which I put last because it's the closest to already going on, already.

Oh, and the defensive and Offensive lines,
I thought the O-line did well in Run bloking last week, the other 3,
OL pass block, DL against the pass, DL against the run,
didn't look as well as the OL run blocking.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
J/c

I can’t say I wanted Lamar. I would have been OK with him, but I preferred Allen or Darnold to Baker or Lamar.

I also WILL say that I really wanted Watson. He’s one guy I thought would do well

I wanted Watson and Baker,

That's not important, what IS important,
is
I still think Baker was and is the better quarterback,
side by side, one v one vs.
The Jets Qb
The Bills Qb,
Lamar on the Ravens

and it's a close, well probably not vs Watson,

But.
The important thing is,

Any one of them that would have come to the Browns, would have fallen off somewhat in their abilities,

I feel the Browns make players worse because the organization is a firestorm, since 2006.

And I wish they could learn from all the other, at least half of the 31 other football teams don't make the stupid moves the Browns make all throughout the calander year,
but the Browns always think they have to, to get better,
and it never works.

It's not "one game" this is a pattern since before Randy Lerner let the Walrus, (I really forget his real name) represent the team in owner meetings,
which was before the Haslems even bought the team,
soo...

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Milk Man

- YAC. It seems like our guys catch the ball and are immediately brought down.

Not particularly good.

https://twitter.com/wildlifeluvr/status/1305942608628396037

V
Legend
Legend
V
I am curious as to why people think the Brown's YAC was so low?

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

Yes, we all know.

You even have staunch Baker supporters who are changing their tune. Isn't that good enough?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

Baker sucks?

V
Legend
Legend
V
No need to get snarky, y'all.

I brought it up because some will look at that stat as an indicator that our receivers suck. Don't try and tell me some won't have that take.

I do think that we have made a lot of throws that lead receivers out of bounds. I do think a lot of throws are late. I do think that a lot of throws have been behind and high, which makes it harder to run after the catch.

Am I wrong?

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 35 Bengals 30 What Would Make You Feel Better

Link Copied to Clipboard