Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Legend
Legend
C
If you have five linemen on the field, in your scenario Garrett, Vernon, Ogunjobi, Richardson, and Gustin, the offense know who is rushing every time (unless you rush a six player). If you don't rush five players the offense immediately knows that the linemen who is dropping into coverage is a huge matchup disadvantage (imagine Garrett, Vernon, or Gustin covering a tight end or running back).

There is a reason no one runs a 5-2 for any great percentage of plays.

Say it with me, "Nickel is base."

Getting back Mack Wilson should help as Sione Takitaki has been one of our two worst defensive players. Getting Ronnie Harrison up to speed and getting Andrew Sendejo off the field should help. Having Kevin Johnson replace Tavierre Thomas should help. Going from having two competent corners (Denzel Ward and Terrence Mitchell) to four competent corners (Ward, Mitchell, Johnson, and Greedy Williams) should help.

Telegraphing what you want to do to the defense will not help anything.

I'm hoping we go with Garrett, Ogunjobi, Richardson, and Gustin (or Vernon when healthy) on the line, Malcolm Smith and Wilson at linebacker, Ward, Mitchell, and Johnson at corner (Johnson in the slot), and Harrison and Karl Joseph at safety. I would even be fine with Smith coming off the field for a great percentage of snaps and replacing him with Greedy Williams (allowing Johnson and/or Mitchell to become more of a hybrid corner/safety).

V
Legend
Legend
V
TakiTaki's grades from PFF are higher than several other guys on D. I posted those grades not too long ago in this thread.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
If you have five linemen on the field, in your scenario Garrett, Vernon, Ogunjobi, Richardson, and Gustin, the offense know who is rushing every time (unless you rush a six player). If you don't rush five players the offense immediately knows that the linemen who is dropping into coverage is a huge matchup disadvantage (imagine Garrett, Vernon, or Gustin covering a tight end or running back).

There is a reason no one runs a 5-2 for any great percentage of plays.

Say it with me, "Nickel is base."

Getting back Mack Wilson should help as Sione Takitaki has been one of our two worst defensive players. Getting Ronnie Harrison up to speed and getting Andrew Sendejo off the field should help. Having Kevin Johnson replace Tavierre Thomas should help. Going from having two competent corners (Denzel Ward and Terrence Mitchell) to four competent corners (Ward, Mitchell, Johnson, and Greedy Williams) should help.

Telegraphing what you want to do to the defense will not help anything.

I'm hoping we go with Garrett, Ogunjobi, Richardson, and Gustin (or Vernon when healthy) on the line, Malcolm Smith and Wilson at linebacker, Ward, Mitchell, and Johnson at corner (Johnson in the slot), and Harrison and Karl Joseph at safety. I would even be fine with Smith coming off the field for a great percentage of snaps and replacing him with Greedy Williams (allowing Johnson and/or Mitchell to become more of a hybrid corner/safety).

We are saying the same thing. Whatever the cost... don't allow more than 2 LB's on the field at the same time.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
TakiTaki's grades from PFF are higher than several other guys on D. I posted those grades not too long ago in this thread.

Hopefully, Williams/Mitchell/Vernon/Mack/Johnson coming back should help Joseph and Sendejo play a bit bitter.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
V
Legend
Legend
V
No stats or ratings here. Just my observations.

--Sendejo sucks. He is way too slow.

--Joseph is yet another in-the-box SS that is a dime a dozen.

--Taylor sucks. We should have kept Carey and that other dude. What was his name. Burris?

--Goodson is who I said he was. Slow, can't defend the pass. Strong, but lacking.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I think even with Mack coming back we still need the same amount of linebackers as before, he's just a guy for rotation. Unless he makes a huge leap I don't see him helping that much, he was horrible last year, I think bottom 5 or bottom 10 of ALL linebackers, and thats with schobert next to him calling the defense. I think Berry could have done alot more to help the linebacker spot, If you're only going to run 2, they better be athletic, smart and versatile. Vikings are bringing in Todd Davis, can't understand why we aren't atleast looking at him.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
O
Legend
Legend
O
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Mack more of a "thumper" type LB? Not so much a rotational guy but more situational. He helps in specific area(s) of the D but can be exploited in others.

I think our LB corps is missing a 'glue' guy.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Mack more of a "thumper" type LB? Not so much a rotational guy but more situational. He helps in specific area(s) of the D but can be exploited in others.

I think our LB corps is missing a 'glue' guy.
Not speaking with any real knowledge or authority on the subject, but Mack is in his 2nd year. I'm not sure he has been pigeon-holed. I think both he and the team are looking to learn his full spectrum of abilities and uses.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
V
Legend
Legend
V
Are you talking about Mack Wilson?

If so, here is what I think:

He's fast and fluid. Runs sideline to sideline well. Good in coverage, especially zone coverage. Beats blockers w/speed and athleticism. Struggles to get off blocks when they get into him. Not a thumper at all, but will bring some violence when tackling.

There were some questions about his character, but I don't know the details. Most thought he should have stayed in college another year to mature. He has potential to be good. Not sure if he will, but his athleticism is a plus.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think that assessment is spot on though I hadn't heard anything about character. I thought the stay in school another year to mature was more about football maturity than character maturity. P

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't have the details about the character concerns. I just remember reading that before the draft. However, I hope someone corrects me if I am wrong about that recollection. I could be wrong about it. Hell..........let me go look. I don't like spreading misinformation. I'll be back shortly.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Ehhh........it's not all that bad. Here is article about it.

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/sto...met/3633552002/

O
Legend
Legend
O
Thank you!

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Are you talking about Mack Wilson?

If so, here is what I think:

He's fast and fluid. Runs sideline to sideline well. Good in coverage, especially zone coverage. Beats blockers w/speed and athleticism. Struggles to get off blocks when they get into him. Not a thumper at all, but will bring some violence when tackling.

There were some questions about his character, but I don't know the details. Most thought he should have stayed in college another year to mature. He has potential to be good. Not sure if he will, but his athleticism is a plus.

Right on...good post man. I was really liking Mack come draft time...Was overjoyed when he fell in our laps in round 5. I recall his work out numbers weren't eye popping like many expected. I know he was injured as well during that time. He only did his pro day, and he ran on grass (which we all know, is slightly slower than the track that many run great times on) He def. needed more seasoning in college, came out rather raw...But really imho we got a heck of a deal that late...We shall see! BTW Josh Jacobs (RB) ran the 40 at the same time as Mack Wilson, not bad at all...though Mack was disappointed in his time.

Last edited by tru_dawgs; 09/25/20 10:46 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ehhh........it's not all that bad. Here is article about it.

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/sto...met/3633552002/
Unless I'm missing something, the only issue was him disregarding Coach Saban's advice and entering the draft.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Seems to imply more bad character by the Alabama people than Wilson.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Linebacker 2 continued

Link Copied to Clipboard