Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Based on film, it has to be Teller. No slight to Hubbard intended. His play in this system has been a pleasant surprise.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Agreed. Teller is PFF's highest ranking guard in the entire NFL. That includes both left and right guards. He's been awesome, thus far.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Could someone do something about the stretched screen?

It’s been two nights of this.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: guard dawg
Based on film, it has to be Teller. No slight to Hubbard intended. His play in this system has been a pleasant surprise.

With the development of Hubbard, the Browns may have developed something they have lacked and sought for many years..."quality OLine depth" capable of stepping in and playing at a high level without a drop off in performance.

It is likely that OLine injuries will happen be it at OG or OT and now the Browns have the OLine depth to fill those needs without a drop off in performance.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: TrooperDawg
With Conklin back, will Hubbard or Teller be at RG?

Why wouldn't Teller be at RG? It's his job, and he's played well so far.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Why Hubbard? Seems to be OK. Waiting to see Conklin. fingerscrossed

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
I’d assume Teller

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I’d assume Teller

Definitely Teller; he *is* the starting Right Guard.
Hubbard is just the backup Right Tackle and isn't even the #2 at RG.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Could someone do something about the stretched screen?

It’s been two nights of this.

Strange...my screen's been fine.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Mine is okay, now. I assume it’s because we’re on page 2 of the thread.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
cfrs15 #1797081 09/26/20 11:08 AM
All Pro
All Pro
Teller has keyed the running game thus far. He stays unless the early results are a fluke. Even then, Hubbard's last game may have been a fluke, too.
So either way, probably Teller. He is slowly making the Zeitler for Vernon trade more palatable.

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

O
Legend
Legend
O
That last clip...

Wouldn't that be on the guard (Bitonio)? He goes to double a guy that the center was free to block, leaving the LT to handle 2. It makes perfect sense to me for Wills to choose to block the inside guy and let the outside guy go, but why did he even have to choose?

Am I missing something here?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yes, you are missing something. There are two open receivers there. When teams blitz like that, it's up to the qb to recognize it and get rid of the ball quickly. Baker misread it and rolled to the right.

O
Legend
Legend
O
That's a fair point.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
The Browns OLine, Bitonio and Wills MISREAD their blocking assignments, with both the LG and LT double teaming down instead of reading the blitz coming right over the area that they are responsible for pass blocking.

The QB may have had 1 second to read the pass receivers progression through their routes, while running for his life because the Browns OLine used 3 blockers to block the 2 pass rushers on the left side of the Browns Oline.

Come Vers, stop the damn agenda put the fault where it belongs.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #1799145 09/30/20 11:17 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
You are wrong.

cfrs15 #1799159 09/30/20 11:40 AM
L
Legend
Legend
L
receivers weren't even out of their break before Baker had to run..thats on the line

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
V
Legend
Legend
V
You're wrong, too. It's up the qb to make a pre-snap read to identify the blitz and find the "hot" route.

O
Legend
Legend
O
If you look at Wills drop, it would certainly seem like he was setting up to block the outside, and then jumped in to get a hit on the inside rusher (again, while Bitonio was getting the guy Tretter already had). Bitonio then comes back on the guy that I'm going to assume was supposed to be his.

Baker did have his TE open in the middle, but looks like he would've had to either throw the ball across his body or throw before the receivers head turned around.

-PrplPplEater
V
Legend
Legend
V
Look............I gave my opinion on what should have happened because I was a coach who designed and called plays. I was trying to educate. It's up to you guys if you want to believe me or not. I'm out.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
You're wrong, too. It's up the qb to make a pre-snap read to identify the blitz and find the "hot" route.

So the pre-snap read is before the snap?

Sorry - just yanking your chain. As usual, I find your insights helpful.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
cfrs15 #1799214 09/30/20 01:25 PM
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Blitzes are only recognized when they're actually employed...hence post-snap. The corresponding TE or back has to recognize it also, and know they're the "hot" receiver.

Legend
Legend

Should that blitz have been easy to identify? Asking seriously. If so, should he call the hot route? Point it out? He had plenty of time (I went back and watched from the normal angle), there was 11 on the play clock.

With that said, the play was basically hopeless once the ball was snapped. Only quick pass (under one second before the rush was in his face) was to OBJ - who was not yet turned around with coverage behind him and a LB racing over at the snap.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
FATE #1799274 09/30/20 02:43 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't know the answer to that because I did not get a good look at the defensive alignment and our formation. I do know that the OL can't pick-up everyone when teams blitz. It's up to the QB and receivers [RB, WRs, TE] to recognize it pre-snap and one of those guys will be the "hot" receiver.

Not sure if you read it or not, but I brought this up in the Other Games thread when we were talking about Mahomes and how Griese was pointing out how he was correctly identifying where the blitz was coming from.

I am not piling on Baker here. QBs don't always identify the blitz. It happens all the time. I was just trying to defend the OL because there are times that things happen that they can't account for. Negative plays happen and I don't think a big deal should be made of that play in regards to blaming the line, Baker, or the hot receiver. Of course, we [myself included] have made a big deal of that play.

Back to the OL. They've played great this year. I think most of us can see that and their PFF grades help confirm it. Willis has the lowest grade, but he is playing the hardest position and he is a rookie who never played at LT. I would say that I am very happy w/his performance thus far. His footwork is better than some of the reports I read before the draft. Looks like a good choice by Berry and the boys.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I should have prefaced my earlier posts by saying that I learn best when I'm digging in and picking things apart. This can sometimes come across as me being critical. Not the case at all, though.

-PrplPplEater
V
Legend
Legend
V
I thought of that after I replied. I had just come off of the Covid thread in the Political forum and listened to the garbage being spewed by some of our open-minded posters.

Anyway.......no worries and sorry for lashing out.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I thought of that after I replied. I had just come off of the Covid thread in the Political forum and listened to the garbage being spewed by some of our open-minded posters.

Wrong forum for such comments.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O

No worries. I think it'd be nice to be able to come here and have thought-provoking football conversation before jumping back into PP.

-PrplPplEater
cfrs15 #1802173 10/06/20 12:47 PM
Legend
Legend

Browns can still have NFL's best rushing attack -- even without Nick Chubb

Jake Trotter
ESPN Staff Writer

On their first offensive snap Sunday in Dallas, the Cleveland Browns obliterated the Cowboys at the line of scrimmage so thoroughly no defender could even lay a hand on Nick Chubb until he'd almost reached the first-down marker. The 24-yard gain set the tone for the day and sent a message around the league.

This Browns' running game isn't just legit. It's a budding juggernaut.

Through four games, Cleveland tops the NFL with 818 rushing yards and averages a league-best 5.88 yards per carry. On top of that, the Browns have posted the fourth-highest total through any team's first four games to start a season over the past 30 years. Only the 2005 and 2006 Atlanta Falcons and last year's Baltimore Ravens rushed for more yards in their first four games -- and they boasted elite running quarterbacks in Michael Vick and Lamar Jackson, respectively.

Instead, the Browns are running roughshod over the opposition with smashmouth offensive line play, dogged perimeter blocking from their tight ends and wide receivers, and elite moves and tackle-breaking by Chubb and Kareem Hunt.

The Browns got some tough news Monday, when an MRI revealed Chubb had suffered an MCL injury to his right knee, which is expected to sideline him for several weeks.

Yet even after Chubb went down in the first quarter in Dallas, the Browns kept churning along on the ground. Hunt stepped in and ran for 71 yards and two touchdowns, and third-stringer D'Ernest Johnson barreled away for a game-high 95 yards. Together, Hunt and Johnson combined to average 7 yards per carry, and the Browns finished with 307 rushing yards, their highest game total in 11 years.

"That was good to see with those guys stepping up," said first-year coach and playcaller Kevin Stefanski, who has already implemented a clear and emphatic offensive identity in Cleveland. "The offensive line, the tight ends and the wide receivers, they are all straining, and the runners are running through arm tackles and breaking tackles."You lose a player of Nick's caliber, we are going to need those guys to step up, really across the entire offense."

Replacing Chubb, a Pro Bowler last season who entered the Dallas game fourth in the NFL in rushing, presents a considerable challenge for Stefanski and the Browns' offense. Even after missing most of Sunday's game, Chubb still ranks third with 148 rushing yards after contact. He's tied for second with four rushing touchdowns, and he's averaging a whopping 5.88 yards per carry.

But Sunday showed why the Browns might be equipped to weather the storm and keep rolling along until Chubb returns, which, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter, could be Nov. 15 against the winless Houston Texans.

One big reason for that is Hunt, who was the 2017 NFL rushing champ while with the Kansas City Chiefs. The other factor is perhaps the league's most improved offensive line, which is punishing opponents at the line of scrimmage.

Last year, a beleaguered Cleveland line ranked just 31st in run block win rate. This season, the Browns are second.

Free-agent signing Jack Conklin and first-round rookie Jedrick Wills Jr. have stabilized and solidified the tackle positions, which were a disaster last season. Inside, right guard Wyatt Teller has emerged into a run-blocking mauler, effectively flanking Pro Bowl left guard Joel Bitonio and veteran stalwart center JC Tretter.

Against the Cowboys, the Browns posted an 86.1% run block win rate, the highest percentage in a single game by any team since ESPN incorporated the metric using Next Gen Stats data before last season. Off that performance, the Browns now are one of only two teams to rank in the top five in both run block and pass block win rates (the Green Bay Packers, the other, played Monday night).

"It's easy to start with the runners who are doing an outstanding job, but you have to look at the entire offense and you have to look at the offensive line knocking guys off the ball, utilizing the correct technique and going to the right people," said Stefanski, who also credited experienced offensive line coach Bill Callahan for the staggering turnaround up front. "It really takes 11 guys to make a run game go."

It also helps to have a second elite back to bring in off the bench.

Hunt, who has five touchdowns, including three receiving, in his past three games actually ranks ahead of Chubb with 154 yards after contact, despite seven fewer carries. He leads the NFL with an average of 3.1 yards after contact per carry.

Hunt is more than capable of shouldering the load while Chubb is out. Especially if Johnson, one of the breakout standouts in training camp, can prove to be a reliable sidekick.

"I think we are pretty confident right now," Johnson said Monday. "It sucks that Nick had to get hurt. At the same time, we just have to continue to hold it down for the running back room."

The Browns face a pair of looming litmus tests these next two weeks. The Indianapolis Colts, next up on Sunday, boast the fourth-best run defense in the league; the Pittsburgh Steelers, who follow in Week 6, rank No. 1. The Cowboys, on the other hand, were just 23rd in run defense before the Browns decimated them.

"Nick is tough to replace obviously, but we have to just make sure we put a game plan together," Stefanski said, "and then find a way to move the rock any which way we can."

But so far, Cleveland has moved the rock on the ground at will. And as Sunday underscored, the Browns' rushing attack is about more than one player -- which is why it has been so tough to stop.

https://www.espn.com/blog/cleveland-brow...hout-nick-chubb

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
FATE #1802180 10/06/20 01:16 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Two huge take-aways for me:

Quote:
Through four games, Cleveland tops the NFL with 818 rushing yards and averages a league-best 5.88 yards per carry. On top of that, the Browns have posted the fourth-highest total through any team's first four games to start a season over the past 30 years. Only the 2005 and 2006 Atlanta Falcons and last year's Baltimore Ravens rushed for more yards in their first four games -- and they boasted elite running quarterbacks in Michael Vick and Lamar Jackson, respectively.

and...

Quote:
Against the Cowboys, the Browns posted an 86.1% run block win rate, the highest percentage in a single game by any team since ESPN incorporated the metric using Next Gen Stats data before last season. Off that performance, the Browns now are one of only two teams to rank in the top five in both run block and pass block win rates (the Green Bay Packers, the other, played Monday night)

The information in those two paragraphs is mind-blowing! Simply incredible data that demonstrates how well our OL is doing. I also want to give a shout-out to the WRs, TEs, and FB for helping w/the blocking. The team has bought in to what the staff is selling.

cfrs15 #1802212 10/06/20 02:52 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Came across a link to this on twitter:

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
cfrs15 #1802372 10/06/20 08:03 PM
Legend
Legend
The more I think about oit, the more amazed I am at how the OL has performed thus far.

Consider all of the following:

No off-season camps, or sessions.

No preseason games.

Willis moving from right to left.

So-so RG from last year, having to get used to a new RT.

Tretter out for most, if not all of training camp, so that RG got used to playing with one guy, only to have that position changed for game 1.

Then we had an injury to Conklin, which necessitated our RT from last year, who played pretty poorly last year, to have to play. (which he did, and well at that)

It's crazy. OL often talk about the need for consistency. They say it can take a year for a Line to truly gel. Yet there have been numerous cuts of the OL so far this year, where they look almost like they could be performing to music, that's how well their movements are synchronized. It's is just astonishing.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
cfrs15 #1802374 10/06/20 08:04 PM
E
Legend
Legend
E
WE ARE JUGGERNAUT!!!

That's all I needed to read. tongue

No Craps Given
cfrs15 #1803144 10/08/20 04:24 PM
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
cfrs15 #1803204 10/08/20 08:09 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
cfrs15 #1803205 10/08/20 08:10 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I"m watching the 1 hour video now- tons of insight. hunt is a differnet player now

this team is just built differently

Baker truly is a great leader and the team feeds off him and play for him.

the DL is super tight.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Thank Bill Callahan. He should be in the running for team MVP.

cfrs15 #1803216 10/08/20 08:49 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Stefanski is doing the little things. this team is playing 16, 1 game seasons.

Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Offensive line

Link Copied to Clipboard