Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree. He seems like a good egg and is decent. With him, it is just going to boil down to numbers and if the Browns feel they have some other player who has more upside when considering the longer range view.

Mediocre players like Hubbard finally come to a point in their career where they are probably going to bounce around on 1-2 year deals. They are good enough to help many teams in the short term but aren't going to fit in to any long term plans.

If he makes the team this year, I seriously doubt he will be back for another. Just the life cycle of the "just good enough" NFL player.

In the end, I doubt he makes the team this year. If being cut is the inevitable, as a seasoned vet I hope the Browns cut ties before the last cuts. Give him some time to latch on somewhere else when some other team realizes they need to upgrade the back-up in a hurry. After the 1st pre-season game, he might bring a 7th rounder in trade. Maybe a little better.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
It's a cutthroat game in that regard, but I think that because of how he responded and just kept being him is why he's still on the roster as it is. Granted, at $4.9M, his Cap Hit isn't gargantuan, but it is still a sizable chunk for a swing tackle, I think. I think because of how he handled his business, he will be given every opportunity to win the job for the year, but I don't see any way that he's brought back next year. He's a free agent in 2022.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

In the end, I doubt he makes the team this year. If being cut is the inevitable, as a seasoned vet I hope the Browns cut ties before the last cuts. Give him some time to latch on somewhere else when some other team realizes they need to upgrade the back-up in a hurry. After the 1st pre-season game, he might bring a 7th rounder in trade. Maybe a little better.

He may be a good candidate for a late summer trade to a team in need. I doubt we'd get more than a 7th, maybe a 6th, and probably conditional at that, but it's a possibility.

Browns is the Browns

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I don't think he goes anywhere, until his contract is up. We have quality depth being built for the Oline, a luxury we haven't see for a long time. If this team wants to make a serious run at a superbowl, guys like Hubbard need to be on the roster.

Now if the rookie, who is getting unique personal coaching at the rookie camp, blossoms, and Harris is healthy, throw in a guy like Hance, and you have a solid backup plan.

We still have Forbes too.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Legend
Legend
I generally agree with the caveat that he's comparatively expensive. His value and ability is why he is still here, thus far, but he has to show that the value he brings warrants the money compared to the younglings. If one of the younger guys can step up and show the same or similar capability while earning less, it's - unfortunately - a no-brainer.

The great thing for Browns fans is that we have enough parts in the mix that we WILL have quality depth, barring a rash of injuries hitting the unit.

Browns is the Browns

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think we still may be a season away from that happening. But time will tell.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1866133 06/01/21 04:44 PM
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Pdawg #1866143 06/01/21 06:16 PM
Legend
Legend
Now THAT is cool, and should give notice to AFCN Defenses.

Browns is the Browns

cfrs15 #1871235 07/15/21 01:52 PM
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
It's getting close to that time of year... we're getting fresh new Baldy Breakdowns!!

Browns is the Browns

cfrs15 #1871244 07/15/21 03:31 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Love Baldy Breakdowns!!

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
cfrs15 #1872082 07/23/21 10:03 AM
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
We return all five starters AND we get some depth back that could actually push some of our starters. Our OLine looks to be really, really deep this year.

Browns is the Browns

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
We return all five starters AND we get some depth back that could actually push some of our starters. Our OLine looks to be really, really deep this year.

At first glance, But, Let's take a look.

(Now, we've all been following even from a distance, the Browns and their OL for several years, at least since 1999,)

Most Years the Browns have had a middle of the road group if looked at in total, not a top 3 group at OL.
Even in Freddie Kitchens coached year, this arguably could have been the case.

In 2020-21 however, the Browns OL was stellar, the rushing totals were #1 in the league around week 4, the pundits give the Browns OL superstar ratings.

What Was different? .... long drawn out thinking, I'll try to shorten it....

It goes back a couple years, it may have started prior to 2020.
2. They suddenly went from a group of 5 starter level players year in and out, to a group of 7.
3. They hired the new OL coach.
4. They went from maybe one starter at Rb most years to two top ones.

So! actually at FIRST glance imo, the most major reason was the addition of ?a and Hubbard.

the Prior year the starters had included Ryan ?b OT, RT.

?a went to the Titans in the offseason. Recently, a first unheard of thought, that Hubbard may be too injured and will be phased out after cleared health wise seems to be more plausible.

In 2020-21, The starter group of 5 often had one injury which the group being 7 strong MASSIVELY helped it not effect gameplay, PLUS, 6 were often used for sparatic plays.

Conclusion. The Loss of what's his name, and potential loss of Hubbard which may likely happen, could prove a MASSIVE hurdle in
lack of experience and vet leadership, taking over for what was experience and vet leadership.

Last edited by THROW LONG; 07/23/21 05:30 PM.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
You are aware that we aren't talking about the 1999 team right..

They are talking about the team as it stands today

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
T
Legend
Legend
T
You understand that I was referenceing the year by year quality of all the years, and how the 2020 group performed better. And asked why.

Legend
Legend
We didn't lose any starters and our depth is improved. The ONLY debateable issue is whether or not we have someone better than Hubbard to take the role of 6th Man and, if not, is Hubbard going to be healthy enough by the start of the season.

I think it's a non-issue.
First off, if our biggest worry on OLine is our first backup, we're in pretty damn good shape. Secondly, we have three young Tackles behind Hubbard... one that we picked up as an UDFA last year, one drafted this year who happens to be very similarly built to Hubbard, and Greg Senat, a 4th year player who was signed in Free Agency this spring and played 10 games for Dallas in 2020. He ain't gonna set the world on fire, but he can be a 6th Man.

Browns is the Browns

T
Legend
Legend
T
I hold high opinions of both Kendall Lamms', (had to look him up), and Chris Hubbards' abilities. So the potential need to replace 2 players instead of one player to continue last years OL units' success is where we disagree.
And it also depends on the health of Hubbard which is unknown.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
cfrs15 #1872207 07/24/21 12:10 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This O-line is special.

Chubb and Hunt are special.

Expect a lot of wins.

Legend
Legend
I hear we have some guy named Blake brownie

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
I hold high opinions of both Kendall Lamms', (had to look him up), and Chris Hubbards' abilities. So the potential need to replace 2 players instead of one player to continue last years OL units' success is where we disagree.

COACH CALLEHAN smile

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG

COACH CALLEHAN smile
Normally in situations like this I just throw a like out there to avoid clogging up the thread, but I really feel the extra emphasis is necessary. We had guys coming in and filling in all over the place and didn't seem like we skipped a beat. Teller spent a good chunk of time out and our world didn't end. Wills left the game early vs KC and I believe his replacement was 'guy named Blake', and we didn't implode (quite the opposite... made them earn a win with some help from refs).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Thank you.
Worrying about our 6th man is like fretting over the number of sprinkles on your Pop-Tart. It's not changing much, and in the end, you still have a perfectly good Pop-Tart.

Browns is the Browns

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I attribute that to Callahan he has a great eye for talent along the line and he knows what to do to fix them.

I have zero worries about the O Line that was last year to begin and I saw all I need to Callahan is that good.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Zero worries, life always has worries. Injuries, hold outs, mental health issues, covid, lots of things could cause us worries.

JMHO, signing Teller long term could or should be an issue. Analytics, do we pay a dominate guard more than a dominate runner, does money cause issues for the Browns team. I hope not but we are all human. Go Browns!!!
Hope we have backups ready, anything can happen.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
hitt #1873629 08/03/21 09:06 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
The reality is running back is a dime a dozen position. No doubt you have that handful of guys who command a larger contract, but after that you have a multitude of guys who are good enough, and several enter the league every year.

It's not hard to have several good running backs on your team. You can't say that about every position.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
Dime a dozen for manageable progress. But Chubb is Great and quite frankly so is Hunt. I would say best duo since Pruitt and Pruitt. but in an era of passing which we will have the best play action of any team and there is nothing they can do
we will kick their ass all day. Play run and we will go air...play air and we will destroy via run. Play run and we run we still kick ass...play pass and we pass we still kick ass!!!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #1873652 08/03/21 09:47 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Make no mistake in what I say. Chubb is a top 5 back, so he is one of the top guys.

My comments are about the position group in general. When you have a multitude of good players just behind the great ones
it tends to devalue the group as a whole.

That is why QB's make the money they do. It's not because of the position, it is about the scarcity at the position.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
cfrs15 #1875986 08/16/21 11:58 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Came across this on my FB page, OL Masterminds Summit.

https://www.facebook.com/NFLFilms/videos/796615044241624

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend
That's pretty cool.

Browns is the Browns

hitt #1876024 08/16/21 02:48 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: hitt
Zero worries, life always has worries. Injuries, hold outs, mental health issues, covid, lots of things could cause us worries.

JMHO, signing Teller long term could or should be an issue. Analytics, do we pay a dominate guard more than a dominate runner, does money cause issues for the Browns team. I hope not but we are all human. Go Browns!!!
Hope we have backups ready, anything can happen.

There are always things beyond our control but deciding whether to pay Teller or let him walk is within the teams control. That said I would talk to the man (Callahan) if he says Teller has rare and hard to find skills that he has no one to replace him with that would play a huge roll in if I let Teller walk of not.

The fact that the Browns aren't making any noise about Teller reminds me of the same situation we had with Schobert. I could be wrong here because I haven't a clue on the Browns position but it looks to me like they are ready to let Teller walk?

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Not all regimes are the same. Trying to compare how one regime handles dealing with a player concerning a contract in no way gives us insight to how a different regime does it.

I didn't here a lot from this regime about re-signing Chubb before his contract was announced. I don't hear any talk from the team now about addressing signing Mayfield to a contract extension either. I think you are trying to reach a conclusion based on the acts of a totally different set of people for the most part.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1876026 08/16/21 03:06 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Berry was who let Schobert walk wasn't he?

I know they have asked Berry about contracts and he is pretty closed mouth about it, point taken. I just don't see them making the kinds of statements you would get when they have every intent of re-signing the player. Or perhaps I believe I would let Teller walk and so I let that influence my comments?

I still think he will go the way of Schobert? Does that MAKE me right? HELL NO.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

P
Legend
Legend
P
Berry wasn't in his current role at the time. Now he calls the shots. He didn't then. I'll refer back to the silence we heard regarding Chubb before he signed his new deal.

#gmstrong
cfrs15 #1876038 08/16/21 03:31 PM
Legend
Legend
j/c...

Dorsey broke off talks with Schobert's agent early in 2019.

Schobert felt "snubbed" long before Berry took over and said as much entering free agency.

Berry said he earned every right to test FA soon after he took over.

Schobert got a fat contract elsewhere... one that was too rich for our FO to match.

I like Joe, but at that price, we're better off w/o him... HE'S NOT A GAME-CHANGER.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend

Big dudes.

Trying to imagine blocking Myles.

I can't even imagine that. He is so fast and strong with incredible agility. It defies the imagination.

I am sure there are players that get that assignment that just hope not to be humiliated.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone
Berry was who let Schobert walk wasn't he?

Who let Demario Davis go.

Demario Davis, linebacker Saints, age 32, NFL top 100 player, was on the Browns in 2016-2017 era.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I believe you are right. Some of our guys need to walk, can't pay them all. We have him this year, hope he stays dedicated and we make SB. There is a huge pot of money, yet, not enough to pay all....GO Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
cfrs15 #1876860 08/20/21 12:04 PM
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
I have a question for you all about Wills...are we possibly overconfident in his ability to anchor that LT position?

I'm not worried at this point, but his comments on needing to play better this year, along with getting beat quite a bit in that Giants practice(or so I've read) just had me wondering if his name should be in mental pencil vs. pen at this point.

Browns fans are born with it...
dnadawg #1876863 08/20/21 12:05 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
He's on a wonky ankle right now. I wouldn't read too much into his performance with that going on.... I'm more worried about that thing healing up in time for week1.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Offensive line

Link Copied to Clipboard