Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Squires #1804976 10/11/20 11:31 PM
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: Squires
4-1 and we're still in 3rd place. I hate our division. Hopefully we turn that around next week.

if this was the NFC east, we'd already be division champs.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1804981 10/11/20 11:44 PM
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: Swish
oh yea...

CUT SANDEJO

brownie

I really don't understand why the guy is on the team. Every single time something bad happens, sure enough #23 is there.

Last edited by tastybrownies; 10/11/20 11:45 PM.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Oh also, is it too early to say that Stefanski is the real deal? He certainly looks like it.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: tastybrownies
Oh also, is it too early to say that Stefanski is the real deal? He certainly looks like it.

It’s too early.

THROW LONG #1804985 10/12/20 12:01 AM
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
It was 3rd and 9 when they handed the ball to D'Ernest on his 28 yard gain, I thought it was an outside play, but 2nd look it was an inside left run, he bounced it in, bounced it outside, then around the corner, then through the 2nd level.

3rd and 9, just a regular run play, and bam, it set up the late field goal to go up more than a score.
I think he was 7 carries for 4 yards before that, it just shows, don't give up on the run.

For 20 years after losses we look back and say they gave up on the run.
Whole first half, less than 50 yards, 2nd half, it started to work some.

The play to Johnson was the same okay they run about 4-5 times a game and it usually guys for 8+ yards. Teller is normally leading but that time Hubbard did well, and Higgins sprung it.

cfrs15 #1804986 10/12/20 12:10 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Winner.

Myles Garrett

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: bluecollarball
It's a bit odd to watch a Browns team that to a man is being coached and is playing like a PROFESSIONAL football team and not some rag tag band of merry misfits drawing plays up in the dirt and spending inordinate amounts of time on foo foo and drama and the trivial.

Players came off the bench and made plays. Starters made plays. The mistakes were brushed off and then they made more plays.

Amazing! What a difference a coach makes.....

I think we're looking at the genesis of a Real Football Team.
I'm not sure what to do with this information.

But- I like the way this new brand of uncertainty feels.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
GratefulDawg #1804988 10/12/20 12:29 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

LMAO!!!

Are you frakkin' kidding me?

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Clemdawg #1804989 10/12/20 12:48 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm trying my best to contain my excitement.

But Damn!!! It feels like our Browns are back.

THROW LONG #1804990 10/12/20 12:50 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
It was 3rd and 9 when they handed the ball to D'Ernest on his 28 yard gain, I thought it was an outside play, but 2nd look it was an inside left run, he bounced it in, bounced it outside, then around the corner, then through the 2nd level.

Conklin pulled, D'Ernest was following his blocker. Clutch play, true next man up play with Conklin subbing for Tretter (Hope he's okay) and D'Ernest filling in.

To the game. Had to work so I had to watch the tape, but it was good knowing we won.

A tale of two halves but unlike days of yore, this one didn't end in a disaster.

Stefanski game-planned the $#!% out of this game. They knew we were going to run, and we did, but they weren't ready for our passing game to rip apart their soft underbelly in their zone coverage. Baker was crisp for most of that half, threw some nice balls. He also got bailed out by Landry on that catch on the back of the DB. Baker's INTs in the second half could've been disastrous but for the D stepping up and getting stops or turnovers. Overall, I thought he played well, not great, but good enough.

Landry made some beautiful plays, and his drops are excusable. He is Mr. Reliable, and will probably go 80 catches without another drop.

OBJ continues to impress. Nice pass to Landry. Great concentration when he got face tackled. He made some nice catches.

HOOOOP! Love the guy, he's really starting to show up on Baker's radar. Caught a pass from Baker through a drive-through-sized window. He's clutch. Sucks he dropped one.

Hunt. Man, he fought for some tough yards, and had an amazing catch in the endzone. He jumped up and made himself about six-foot-seven and caught that ball square in the chest. Hope he's okay. Looked a little gimpy at the end.

D'Errrrrrrnest. What a crucial run for 28 yards and a first down. He just comes in and does whatever is asked and then makes a play like that at a critical time. Awesome.

And indicative of how it's been going. When we need plays, the playmakers are making them, both on offense and on defense. This is where the talent-laden side of the team is starting to show.

Nice to see Hollywood walk the runway. He made a couple nice catches. No drop-off at the #3WR spot.

Love Andy J. He's a great blocker, and another weapon that strikes when least expected.

Nice to see Njoku get a first down with a nice catch.

Our O-line is impressive. They did a great job keeping Baker clean the first half. When the Colt's dialed up the pressure in the second half, they didn't wilt. And again, I'll mention that Conklin pull that sealed the game with Tretter out. (Get well soon!)

I mentioned in the matchup thread that the best D against Rivers was to keep him off the field, and the second best was to pressure him. We did both with excellent pressure and a 2:1 TOP. His spell is broken.

Myles is a beast. He's always sucking wind because he's always motoring at 100RPM. And he is fast. He blows out of his stance with such veliocity it must startle the hell out of the tackles. I think the refs have finally gotten used to his speed though, because he's not getting those off-sides penalties called against him anymore. I am drooling at the prospect of next week.

Mitchel and Ward are holding down the corner spots well. Greedy who? Just kidding. I want to see him back and healthy.

I think Sendejo may be getting a bad rap. He's been made to look bad a couple times, true, but on at least one occasion - the TD last week - he was assigned a different receiver according to the DC. He's around a lot of plays, and has had his hands on the ball a couple times, so I'm withholding judgement for now. I do wonder if Redwine might not get a shot though.

Ronnie Harrison has done an admirable job filling in for Karl Joseph.

Didn't like seeing us give up a kick return. But for that, it's a different game.

Two penalties? We've had two penalties within the first four plays of a game before. When you show discipline, execute, and play well, I guess you don't get as many flags. Hm.

I see good clock management. And it's nice looking up with under five minutes to go and seeing all three timeouts.

Even the doink off the crossbar fell our way.

Great win. Feels good right now. I want to crush the Steelers.

Congratulations, everyone. We're 4-1. That is something we can all rejoice in.

GO BROWNS!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
PrplPplEater #1804991 10/12/20 01:01 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Pay.The.Man.

lol!

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

CalDawg #1804992 10/12/20 01:32 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
Nice pass to Landry.

I meant Hoop.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Swish #1804996 10/12/20 05:29 AM
Legend
Legend
J/c

Just re-watching a few things this morning .. Baker had a good first half and a below average 2nd half ... BUT, there were drops that killed him. Landry’s and Hooper’s (his was tougher) would have made this a much different game IMO.

Also, we’re fortunate to have a good OL and a handful of good backs ... but the loss of Chubb and Teller ARE noticeable. We need those guys back to be our best version

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: tastybrownies
oh yea...

CUT SANDEJO

brownie

I really don't understand why the guy is on the team. Every single time something bad happens, sure enough #23 is there.

It’s the flip side of the whole “the most important ability is availability” saying. He appears to be durable. That alone will earn you a pay check In Browns’ secondary.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Swish #1805009 10/12/20 07:55 AM
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Good morning, DT.

WE’RE 4-1!!!!!

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1805010 10/12/20 07:57 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
I was 37 the last time we were 4-1 smile

i was 5!!

I was 46. Get off my lawn you young whipper snapper!

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Swish #1805012 10/12/20 08:31 AM
Legend
Legend

Oh what a beautiful morning.

Damn it feels good to wake up 4-1.

Congratulations to Kevin Sefanski and his staff. They have done an amazing job. Big difference from last year.

Myles. One hellava football player. He is on his way to Defensive Player of the Year.

The defense had a damn good game. Some guys are starting to show up. Terrance Mitchell, Jacob Phillips, and Redwine stepped in and played well. Vernon had a good game. But the Colts had no answer for Myles.

Special teams. Not surprising that someone broke one on a kick return. Kick off coverage has been terrible all year. It needs to be fixed. Good job by Parkey.

Offense. A tale of two half's. First half was outstanding. The Colts were determined to stop the run. Kudos to Stefanski to game plan around that and throw the ball.

Some great catches. Some good throws to trust playmakers. Great catches and drops are all part of the game.

Baker was good and bad. He played good ball in the first half. Made some bad decisions and poor throws in the second half. Can not turn it over.

I don't think is fair to to insinuate that KS and staff don't trust him. Given the game plan. They planned to throw in the first half and then run in the second with the lead. Eat clock. IMO he is not regarded by the coaching staff and his teammates as a weak link. He was far from perfect but you don't get to 4-1 by being a weak link on this team.
The team is improving each week as they learn how to play together. Baker is leading the team and improving as a quarterback. He still has a lot of room for improvement but it is great to win games while doing it.

Best time of year. Braves in the final four.

And the Damn Browns are 4-1 with a four game win streak.

And Now it is game on Steeler week.

BrownMoose #1805013 10/12/20 08:33 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: BrownMoose
It's weird rooting for a team finally with normal problems like injuries and secondary and stuff.
Instead of deeply embedded, systemic issues like discipline and culture.

thumbsup

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Swish #1805014 10/12/20 08:44 AM
F
Legend
Legend
F
All this, and thee=se guys are only 5 weeks into a new system with no offseason.

Get guys healthy, and I can see us being a real force in December while we wrap up the division and head to the playoffs. wink

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Swish #1805015 10/12/20 08:53 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O
I gotta tell you, I was really worried when they were bottling up our run game early and we were starting to throw.

Big big props to Hubbard. Dude came in and played well. Way to go for him. Didn't think I would say this after last season, but dude has been HUGE as our 6th OL. Doing the same thing that got him his big contract when he came here, playing very well under tough circumstances. Very happy for him.

And big props for Mayfield. He wasn't good, but he was good enough. I wasn't confident when we had to rely more on the pass, but he handled the extra pressure ok. Made some good passes, and gave himself some film on what NOT to do (good thing we won).

I'll repeat the same thing I said before. Our defense is what it is (weak but opportunistic). It's our offense that needs to figure out how to play a second half. These first halfs are great and all, but if our offense is going to be the unit we rely on, these second half disappearing acts aren't going to cut it against the better teams (one of which we play next).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Swish #1805018 10/12/20 09:00 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
- Big win. Went up against a team with a good record and came away with the win.
- I think Indy has as many wins as all of Pittsburgh's opponents combined. Next week, we may be their biggest test so far this year.
- Hoping the best for Teller, Tretter, the rookie DT, and Baker from getting banged up yesterday.
- Hoping that Larry and Greedy can be back soon.
- Jarvis with two shocking drops on 3rd down passes. Both of those throws were on the money.
- Baker with two picks. Second one he got hit as he threw it, but he held it on to it too long. First one was a bad throw.
- Made some nice throws, receivers made some really nice catches. Was asked to do more this week, but reviews are mixed.
- Stefanski with a nice game plan.
- I like the kicker.
- Gillan with a nice punt to set up the safety.
- I forgot how much Rivers complains.
- Garrett with a monster game. Again.
- Vernon applied a lot of pressure again.
- We were able to do some running late in the game.
- So, Sandejo. Horrible does not describe it. Someone pointed out a couple of weeks ago that the plan was not for him to be on the field so much, that he was to be a veteran presence in the locker room, but injuries forced him onto the field. That is true, but does not mean this is not a problem that needs addressed. He gives up yards in chunks. Can't cover, looks lost, and is always trying to catch up to the guy with the ball.
- 4-1!

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
oobernoober #1805021 10/12/20 09:12 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: oobernoober

And big props for Mayfield. He wasn't good, but he was good enough. I wasn't confident when we had to rely more on the pass, but he handled the extra pressure ok. Made some good passes, and gave himself some film on what NOT to do (good thing we won).

Yes - a tale of two halves. He made some very good throws, not the least of which for TD's ... in the first half he was the guy that carried the team and it was clearly schemed that way by KS. Second half was very bad. I'll need to go back and re-watch but it certainly seemed like there was a lot more pressure and the pressure was arriving quickly.

Game would have been further out of reach and potentially very different (more dominant for the Browns) without the kick return and without the 2 drops by Landry ... but Landry made a spectacular catch behind the defender's helmet in the first Q and is normally so reliable, it all sort of evens out and Landry probably won't have another game all season with 2 drops.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Clemdawg #1805025 10/12/20 09:34 AM
Legend
Legend
Trash the Rottenhurler. But they looked more intense across the board yesterday than we did. Need to get geared up more this week. Don't let up on pressuring them. And find some blocking up front.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Pdawg #1805030 10/12/20 09:41 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Pdawg
We just beat a 3-1 team to go to 4-1.

The Colts were the TOP ranked Defensive team in the NFL...big time win.

Garrett without a doubt is THE BEST DEFENSIVE Player in the NFL and he's a Brown! We were missing Larry on the DL but they really were excellent all game long.

We snuffed their running game down making a Statue of a QB
just dropping back and us pinning our ears down to rush him. We rushed him all day long.

The 2nd half they figured something out to render our O to a stand still. They blitzed mostly pass blitze but they blitzed the gaps so that if we did run they could still stifle the run as they did the first half but this time they will hit our QB on every pass play and they did. Almost taking Baker out.

Man he is one tough cookie. Hope he is healthy for the Steeler game.

How is Teller? I guess we will find out later today as he is scheduled for an MRI on the calf and Baker an X-ray on his ribs.

Teller has worked hard to become a Pro-Bowl caliber RG he is big time for our OL.

Harrison is our best safety on concussion protocol and I hope Phillips Knee is ok.

Great play from our Defense to carry us the 2nd half as the O had a great first half but could not handle the adjustment the Colts made.

Parkey has been outstanding! Props to the kid! Hope he is effective for many years to come.

Why did we not kick the ball out of the end zone??? That hurt us on the 101 yard return. We had such a high and then such a let down soon after. Thought the game was over when we had that pick six.

Felt we were in control even when they started their onslaught in the pass rush. Thank goodness our running game made some key first downs!

I cannot believe Landry made those two drops on 3rd down. So unlike him.

Higgins has to be the worst Practice player ever. He is so good game day. Glad to see him out there and producing, excellent job. OBJ was solid as was Hunt in the passing game. Hooper made some nice plays early on but then became invisible as were the whole TE group.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #1805034 10/12/20 09:47 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: eotab
Why did we not kick the ball out of the end zone??? That hurt us on the 101 yard return. We had such a high and then such a let down soon after. Thought the game was over when we had that pick six.

This.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Swish #1805042 10/12/20 10:24 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Lots of kudos being handed out after this win, all well-deserved. But I want to send a shout-out to O-Line coach, Bill Callahan. Guy has done a bang-up job, and the improvement is obvious even to my layman's eye.

Dave #1805045 10/12/20 10:38 AM
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Dave #1805047 10/12/20 10:40 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think coaches are often over-rated or underrated. However, it's really hard to ignore what Callahan has meant to this OL. Great hire.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Hat tip to Stump Mitchell as well. These coaches seem to compliment each other very well.

Milk Man #1805052 10/12/20 11:02 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M

Milk Man #1805054 10/12/20 11:05 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Milk Man

Game winning block

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Swish #1805055 10/12/20 11:06 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Oh... I forgot about his block on that run. That was a nasty one.

But overall, big tip of the hat to Higgins. He had a very good game, and it was good to see him out there and producing. Good for him.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Milk Man #1805059 10/12/20 11:17 AM
Legend
Legend
Man, I love it when WR's are willing and nasty blockers. Things get so good when that happens!

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

PrplPplEater #1805066 10/12/20 11:20 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Man, I love it when WR's are willing and nasty blockers. Things get so good when that happens!
i agree. It’s such a culture and mindset thing too. I see some teams have WRs who take pride in it and feed off one another

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Swish #1805070 10/12/20 11:30 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
A lot has been posted on this thread so I won't get into repeating much of what has been said. However, the constant dogging of Baker by the usual suspects is hilarious.

I just want to give credit to Hubbard. I never saw him in a positive light as a starter at RT. Average on his best days and less than average most days.

But man, he has stepped up two weeks in a row. First subbing in for Conklin when needed last week and this week for Teller. It seems that when we need him, he just comes in and does the job. I suspect there are fans who don't understand just how much value there is to having a player like that on the roster.

It seems our OL really doesn't miss a beat when he's called upon to play. Kudos to him.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Milk Man #1805071 10/12/20 11:32 AM
C
Legend
Legend
C
That looks like a guy trying to get more playing time. Higgins was pretty great in a limited role.

Swish #1805073 10/12/20 11:35 AM
L
Legend
Legend
L
OBJ, Landry and Higgins should be the 3 wr period. Hopefully after yesterday coach sees that Higgins is a gamer. Hodge, DPJ or whatever else they try there won't be as good as Higgins, he and Baker have that trust and thats huge for a QB learning a new system

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
leadtheway #1805078 10/12/20 11:41 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
OBJ, Landry and Higgins should be the 3 wr period. Hopefully after yesterday coach sees that Higgins is a gamer. Hodge, DPJ or whatever else they try there won't be as good as Higgins, he and Baker have that trust and thats huge for a QB learning a new system

Hopefully, the coaches don't care what the player's name is and they continue to put the best player out there of those that are healthy and ready to play.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Swish #1805079 10/12/20 11:42 AM
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
So Verse, I can't agree with you about the coaches not trusting Baker. So last week they tried to just run the ball and if they got first downs...so much the better. This week they actually gave Baker the ball and we had 2 easy drops by Jarvis on 3rd down. This is late in the game trying to run out the clock...etc...So I don't see a lack of trust.

The interceptions. Well, I saw the aggressive throw to Hooper deep in the seam And the Defense made a great play...I cannot tell you if that was the correct read...but if it was...he needed just a little better throw...This INT I am going to liken to a Brett Favre mentality. Brett Favre would drive you NUTS with the INT's he threw. But most people would have loved to have have him on their team throughout his career. So (as long as we are winning...lol) I am content to feel a little crazy from time to time...

The second I was pissed about in a "who the heck were you throwing to" type of way...but upon review, I do think getting leveled as he threw it had a little to do with it...

I honestly think if Chubb was healthy, we would have been running it down their throats in the second half...The reason being for me is style. While a great back...and doing a great job against a D that was doing a great job tackling, Hunt is more elusive than punishing...Chubb puts a beating on D's...and we don't have that style of runner while he is out. So as great as Hunt is he cannot wear down a D in the same way as Chubb...Hunt and Johnson will wear down D's with repetitions...

Not a knock...simply a style match-up. Heck....We ran for almost twice the yards of any other team against Indy. Very hard fought yards. And that is an accomplishment...both for the RB's and the coaches for sticking with it.

Probably a lot more to say...but will have to come back...lol

4-1 is a good feeling...everyone is saying the Steelers are our toughest test yet (As was Washington, as were the Cowboys, as were the Colts....)....But you know what....WE are the Steelers biggest test by far this year...and I am not hearing that said often enough...

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
PrplPplEater #1805083 10/12/20 11:45 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Did you notice when Baker took off Jarvis and OBJ were blocking on the sidelines down field?

Joe Thomas #73
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 32 Colts 23 Post Game

Link Copied to Clipboard