Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: bonitadawg
leave #23 in cleveland brownie

Are you going to be on this board if He seals the Browns win in Pittsburgh with a Int, or a Pick 6.
fingerscrossed

T
Legend
Legend
T
These quotes are going to be from the movie copland which wasn't very good, had Sylvester Stallone in it.

IMO, I don't think this game is very important, it's in their house, it's the first of probably 3 matchups, and-- it's the least important of the 3.

" It's just as easy to follow someone from in front as it is from behind"

" Red light, don't fight, take a right."

IMO, This game is more about, rolling with the punches, absorbing whatever the steelers do, let them think they have it in the bag,
lull Pittspuke into a false sense of security,

then Strike at the end of the game to steal it away from them.

I wouldn't even start Myles, I might even sit him 3/4 of the game, or the whole game.
You know they are wanting to injure him and any Browns they can get their cheating on.

I don't think it's a punch in the mouth game.

Punching them in the mouth is why I used to get sore on roller coasters,
And why drunks in wrecks sometimes,

More flexible, less rigid, someone told me on roller coasters, I was stiffening up too much, fighting the movement of the car I was riding in,
losen up and roll with the ride, and Whatdya know, I wasn't as sore after riding them then.

Rope a Dope, made famous by Muhamad Ali boxer from the 1970's
Counterpunch

Absorb what they do and counterpunch.
Selective Attacking, like a scorpion or a snake

Possum, and Snake, The Possum and the Snake way to win in Pittsburgh! thumbsup

ehh why not, hey the 3 legged offense might work too, would have to if Hunt can't play a full gambit of snaps.
No, with our roster, 3 legged offense doesn't apply here.

3 legged offense, combines a Bad Qb, who Runs and gets slop (slop= billiards shots that go in where you weren't expecting)

bad receivers who catch key drive sustaining plays,
and an Unknown Rb who plays well in spite of any single play you'd remember looking back.

Seriously, this is probably the least important of 3 games vs Pittsburgh this year, soo

I'd sit all the starters and show them nothing except the basics.
Half the starters, ... Some of them.

Possum and Snake! I like it.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
Obj and Landry left pitch left to Kareem
hunt that is run right at Haden .
Repeat 20 times

Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Pdawg #1805790 10/15/20 08:59 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O
I hope that holds up against Pittsburgh.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

Legend
Legend
Cue the "don't put valuable starters on special teams" complaints.

#K2HandsTeam

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
And this is how we get our starters gassed and lose games. awesome

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
And this is how we get our starters gassed and lose games. awesome

If they get gassed from one special teams play, they don't belong in professional sports and need to take up hobbyist Corn Hole, or World Series of Poker.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

TTTDawg #1806006 10/15/20 11:48 PM
T
Legend
Legend
T
The Browns need to win the turnover battle and get points off of those turnovers.

The Browns need to win the turnover battle if they are negative in the turnover ratio it will be hard to win.

Not impossible,
But better to win the turnover battle.

The Recipe has not changed.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
I'd be in church if it happens. Here's why.

First, I'd be thankful for whipping the Squealers and MG getting some revenge. Thankful, thankful, thankful!

Second, it would take an act of God and I would know in my soul we are all bound for Glory.

Because 23 is the one I watch. Week after week. rolleyesdevil tongue

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
We need someone other than Garrett to apply pressure. Garrett will do some damage, but we all know he will be doubled most plays. We need Vernon, Richardson, Ogunjobi, or even LB or secondary blitzes to get home or at least hurry Ben. Ben is a HoF QB but he turns the ball over when pressured a lot.

On offense, we need long, extended drives that score. Keep their offense off the field, and keep our defense rested. Tire their guys out. Their pass rush weakens a lot if their guys are too tired to get to Mayfield.

Legend
Legend

Glad they are making changes on coverage because it has been really bad.

I mentioned this in "post game".

Expected someone to get a td return because of how poor the coverage has been since game one.

Legend
Legend

I doubt guys get gassed from one play.

After kick offs there are time outs. Plenty of time to catch your breath.

Way better than giving up kick off returns for touchdowns.

Or giving them great field position like what's been happening.

cle23 #1806060 10/16/20 09:32 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
While not racking up sacks, Vernon has applied a good amount of pressure when he has played.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
One thing to add...Garrett has had repeated success going up against the LT (Villanueva?).

I hope we keep lining him up there. He had a good game getting to Roethlisberger in 2018. Helmetgate last year started because he kept getting to Rudolph, also, and Rudolph was getting pissy about it.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: dawglover05
One thing to add...Garrett has had repeated success going up against the LT (Villanueva?).

I hope we keep lining him up there. He had a good game getting to Roethlisberger in 2018. Helmetgate last year started because he kept getting to Rudolph, also, and Rudolph was getting pissy about it.

I also have no idea why they were still throwing the ball. Do not remember the particulars, but deep in their own territory, down multiple scores, and under 10 seconds left. Or something like that.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Just looking around at "expert picks" etc. Interesting to see that everyone is picking the Steelers.

When it comes to the Browns it seems like everyone always goes back to history. Ben's record against the Browns. etc etc.

News flash. All that went before has no impact on what happens Sunday.

It boils down to who plays the best game.

My take on this game is a toss up. I could see it going either way.

If there are no critical errors who has the most playmakers?

I think we have the edge there.
Hunt versus Conner(browns).
Odell, Jarvis versus JuJu and Claypool(browns).
Ben versus Baker (Steelers).
Browns OL versus Steelers OL (even).
Browns DL versus Steeler DL (even).
Browns secondary versus Steelers secondary (?)

Key matchups

Myles versus Villanueva LT, Oakrafor RT

TJ Watt versus Conklin

Odell/Jarvis versus Haden/Nelson

Claypool/JuJu versus Ward/ Mitchell

Of course we have issues at safety. They don't.

Linebackers: Steelers 3-4
Browns 4-3

Different scheme. Who will get the most pressure?

Which team can stop the run?

Looks pretty even. However, I give the Browns the edge in the chances of making big plays.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: dawglover05

They'll be adding a TE often, and when not, they'll have a RB chip him. This game especially, we'll need others to put a lot of pressure on ben. If Olivier plays like he did in Indy, we'll do well (he had a ton of pressures)

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I think this game is going to fall on a lot of guys who will need to step it up for us. Pittsburgh finds pressure points and weaknesses. They don’t make many mistakes and are very opportunistic.

They are going to go after our safeties, double or triple team Garrett (if not try to intentionally injure him), and send a lot of pressure at Mayfield. Baker will need to step up this game, and so will the rest of our defense besides Garrett.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
This is a tough game for me to call. I can see it going many different ways. Here are some thoughts:

--Unlike some, I think past history is important. I'm not talking about 1975, but I am saying that when one team dominates another for a long period of time, it does play in the minds of the both teams. Now, we did split w/them last year and actually dominated them in the first game. So, that might be negated a bit, but Ben didn't play in either. There is a difference in expecting to win vs hoping to win.

--I think we have a way better running game. However, the Steelers are ranked second against the run and I bet they will sell out to stop the run, just like Indy did.

--I think we have superior offensive talent other than qb.

--I think they have a better defense.

--I think the loss of Teller [run game] and DeCastro [pass blocking] are huge losses that can be exploited.

--I think Ben can exploit us over between the hashes w/crossing and drag routes as well as some pot passes to the TEs.

--I worry that Baker will have to win this game. I do not feel confident about him.

--My hope is that we can run on them, force a couple of turnovers w/pressure on Ben and Conner fumbling and get ahead, which would take Baker out of the equation. I don't feel confident in him winning the game late.

Legend
Legend

I’m hoping in single high sets it’s Redwine playing deep and not Sendejo. I feel more comfortable with Redwine in coverage and Sendejo in the box.

Last edited by Pdawg; 10/16/20 10:22 PM.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I know this is supposedly a big moment for the Browns but I feel the least stressed about it ever.

Our team is very strong, their team is very strong. The Refs will decide the winner. Traditionally they have chosen the dirty playing high star power Steelers, but maybe with Garrett, OBJ and Baker being high profile money makers for the NFL now we can get the game called fairly, which should in theory be a win for the Browns.

Pdawg #1806257 10/17/20 05:53 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: Pdawg

I’m hoping in single high sets it’s Redwine playing deep and not Sendejo. I feel more comfortable with Redwine in coverage and Sendejo in the box.

I pretty much agree w/you in that I would feel more comfortable w/Redwine playing deeper than Sendejo. Last week, I noted that while Sendejo wasn't "in the box," I saw a defensive formation where he was lined-up on the defensive left side about 8 or so yard off the LOS and Redwine was on the defensive left side about 12 or so yards deep. Both were inside the tackle boxes, so they weren't too wide. I liked that alignment and would feel better than it being the other way or around or having Sendejo very deep and Redwine crowding the LOS.

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

Kay Adams is a fine looking girl.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
She most definitely is.

Hammer #1806290 10/17/20 10:53 AM
Legend
Legend

I like the show GMFB.

But every time I watch it I find I can not take my eyes of her.

Damn. Aging is a ***ch.

Legend
Legend

Ok back to business.

Winning is what counts. I have grown tired of the Baker dissection.

Frankly, I don't give a damn what others think about him.

I want to win football games. And, I want to continue to win for years with the end goal of a championship. As it stands right now the investment and development of Baker is the shortest route as far as quarterback.

What next? Next year my guess is investment in defense. Continue to improve and add depth to the DL.

Good big men always help. And Berry has been clear he likes to use rotations of players. It keeps guys fresh and helps when injury strike.

Delpit would have been a key guy. So next year will be his rookie year on the field. We will be looking at secondary help.

When you look at this roster today. We have a good team. We have many key positions filled. Not an easy team to crack first string. That is a new development from years of poor talent.

The future looks bright. Kevin and Andrew are in a good place. Both young smart guys who will build on what we have.

Going forward we have a good foundation. We have cap space.

We can add key guys in free agency without having to empty the bank.

Still be be smart in the draft to build the future.

Where ever we finish this year. Next year should be even better.

Feeling good about the old Browns.

Take care of business tomorrow.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Jc...

Baker has to run a mistake free game, if any week is his to shine...tomorrow is great way he will have to show it.

Obviously, our team will have to play mistake free as well.

Keep an eye on CB Mike Hilton, he has more sacks than anyone on our team not named Myles Garrett...so obviously Baker will have to pre read where they are sending pressure will be keen.

Heyward is so strong on their Dline...Tyson has done very well for Pittsburgh since leaving that team in Jacksonville.

I think we need to account for #90 (TJ Watt) on every play...Bush inside is a menace as well...I dont care what anyone says, Pittsburgh knows year in and year out how to breed their LBs

Their secondary is one of the most underrated units in all of football imho.
.they play better than what they appear on paper...Obviously Fitzpatrick is the star back there, but quietly they really have no real holes back there...everyone plays sound football.

I don't have a great feeling about this game, perhaps it's our injuries or perhaps its Roethlisberger at the helm...but I'm hoping we play mistake free football and out physical them...I'm not sure if we are at that point yet.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think in my small mind that Kevin has something special in mind for Pittsburg and we will see a side of the Browns we haven't seen yet?

What that is I don't know but I can't wait to find out.

This is a week in which we show the same looks with different plays out of those looks which will come down to execution. This should confuse Pittsburg.

Keep your eyes on out TE's. My guess.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone
I think in my small mind that Kevin has something special in mind for Pittsburg and we will see a side of the Browns we haven't seen yet?

What that is I don't know but I can't wait to find out.

This is a week in which we show the same looks with different plays out of those looks which will come down to execution. This should confuse Pittsburg.

Keep your eyes on out TE's. My guess.

I think there is cause for your guess to hold some validity. All one really has to do is look at the Colts game. They had a great run D. Everyone knew that. We had a great run game. Everyone knew that as well. Common sense dictated the Colts would be selling out to stop the run. What did Stefanski do? He came out attacking them with the pass.

Great coaches exploit the other teams weaknesses. I feel if Stefnaski can find a weakness with the Steelers D, he will find a way to exploit it.

Before anyone goes off half cocked, I'm not trying to say Stefanski is a great coach. What I am saying is that he deploys the same strategy that great coaches do. It's too early in the process to call him a great HC. But the early returns seem good.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1806311 10/17/20 01:44 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
So Ben is going to come out with short and mid range passing game all game. How do we stop that with our DB's?

The only thing I can think of is ball control on O eat the clock and run a lot. But that is exactly who we are. Turn overs will be big this game. If we win that battle we should have a chance.

Joe Thomas #73
BADdog #1806313 10/17/20 01:52 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think your question has an obvious answer. Considering our injuries however, I'm not sure how effective it will be.

What we've been doing is getting pressure with the DL while blitzing sparingly. It leaves everyone else in coverage. That allows you to have the maximum number of defenders possible to protect against the pass.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1806314 10/17/20 02:02 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
I think Smith and Wilson have shown some ability in coverage - maybe not consistently but they seem athletic enough that a couple plays here or there they can read the play and jump on an opportunity. I think we can get pressure on Ben with 4 - bad unfortunately I am expecting a day where we give up a lot of underneath stuff to prevent them scoring fast and easy over the top. Hopefully we can get to Ben - and at some point create turnovers off the short game once or twice.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
PitDAWG #1806316 10/17/20 02:07 PM
Legend
Legend
They love screens.

So recognition is key. Linebackers must read and react.

Take the right angles. Shed blockers.

IMO we have to vary our rush. We show pre-snap load the box looks and mostly drop out to zones.

I think in this game we need to shoot a guy occasionally.

Ben reads well and will try to get it out quickly knowing about Garrett. We have to give different looks in coverage and pressure.

They will favor faster plays as opposed to long developing plays. There game is balance. Runs, screens, quicker passes. Staying away from third and long.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 7 Steelers 38 How do we win?

Link Copied to Clipboard