Print Thread
#1807525 10/19/20 10:52 AM
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
didn't wish to read the rantings I'm sure are out there so figured good time to revive my Thread of What I Saw.

Ugghh, our two worst games vs. division rivals Ravens and Steeler.

This was a terrible game on many parts.
1. Coaching, we simply were not prepared for a Division Rival game. Stefanski and crew better wise up and understand these are the two games you have to be geared up for and be prepared like no other.

example: Lady reporter who asks the coaches at half time what needs to be done. Stefanski states we have to protect our QB better, the OL has to do a better job and "I" have to do a better job to protect the QB.

So what does Stefanski do early on, a long developing Screen play where Baker has his back to the LOS and faking end arounds. So that he turns and gets killed immediately.
Stupid stupid play call and defies the logic he just told the young lady what we need to do.

This was the worst OL play of the year, I mean terrible, Hubbard I eyeballed him a couple of plays and he was horrible so that we had to have Tretter double team Hubbards man or he would simply come in and destroy the pocket or the run.

Steelers were obvious...they blitzed the gaps mostly with run blitzes but could expand to a pass blitz if so be it. A gaps B gaps were taken care of with aggresive blitzes. We did not adjust at half time. Didn't like it at all.

OBJ pulls the O together and tirades on the OL....didn't like that at all. Glad he wants to win bad. I got a feeling he's going to sign with the Steelers.

We all said well I did and all the so called experts. Big Key to the game with a hurting QB the OL was going to have their best game and keep Baker clean and have as little hits on him as possible....lol laugh yaah otay.

Baker did not help his cause with his first pass on a quick safe pass the Steelers were waiting and boom a pick six came about and it didn't get better from there.

Our D especially our DL had a pretty decent game. Its just they didn't have a chance as we would stop stop and then there would be a DB breakdown and a WR downfield wide open for a 40+ yard TD or the one yard line for the rookie from Notre Dame.

Diam why didn't you tell us about this WR...lol laugh

We've played against the 3 best defenses in the NFL. Ravens, Colts and Steelers. Baker has 2 INT in each of those games.

We got to do better and the OL especially against our rivals...they came and played like it was a cut throat division rival game but we came out like it was a ho hum Bengal game or something. Man this was the Steelers we got to play our best...not just show up! Terrible

I thought Vernon had his best game - he really came out to play. Ward didn't do too bad as I saw him go elevate on that 6'4" 40+ vertical leap rookie and knock the ball away and then I saw him just let his guy go deep thinking he had Safety help on him only to realize there was nobody there and it ended as an easy TD. Ward fault or Safety fault? got a feeling it was the later.

Well what I saw was a team who doesn't realize what the Steeler game means to the Browns. OR SHOULD MEAN...wake up Coaches until you realize these aren't normal games you got to do better.

What I didn't like. Ok there were fans there, spread out pretty good. On all 3rd and long plays especially as the game progressed you couldn't hear Baker do the cadence. Huh? even with piped in noise you can still hear the QBs. Of course the Steelers had to cheat in that regard. First time I've seen that even the Seahawks who I thought were bad in that regard you can still hear the QB...we got to report this to the Commish...oh I forgot he is having dinner with the Steelers owners as they pull their pants down and he kisses their butts!

Oh well. I'll remember more and put up some exact facts of what I saw. But these guys all...players and coaches better wake up!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Thanks EO. I’m sure we all agree with your points. Not much to celebrate after that one.

The one huge, huge disappointment from me: our OL got manhandled. Wills looked like a JV guy, Hubbard proved why he’s BAD, Conklin was beaten repeatedly, etc. I know we miss Teller ... but they got embarrassed.

Another huge thing: Baker simply is NOT progressing like he should. He can’t see the field (whether this is a physical thing or mental thing).

Our defense, with the exception of Myles and Richardson and occasionally Vernon, is crap. I see that Ward’s given up the most TDS of anyone in the NFL. Yikes.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I didn't bother to watch the final minutes of the 3rd quarter or any of the 4th so on one hand What I Saw might be limited, but I don't think I missed anything.

-I don't know if the Steelers are just that fast but our guys looked uncharacteristically slow. Just slow all around

-ANYBODY has got to be better than Sandejo... He could have had multiple tackles for a loss but I guess didn't realize wrapping up was part of it.

-Our DBs were jumping routes early which was awesome but a couple completions by Ben made them gun shy the rest of the game.

-Hunt looked off all day. More than once I saw him hit the line, look at the hole off to the side and instead of side stepping he does this weird spin move and can hardly keep his balance. Romo kept quipping how the best way to run at the Steelers was to run right at 'em and make the LB/DB pick a side. Hunt's best runs came off of doing that but there just looked like so many opportunities to bounce around a defender that he normally hits.

-The GAMEPLAN... on one hand it was good to see that Stefnaski didn't panic and didn't allow us to go completely 1 dimensional by the end of the 1st half and early 3rd quarter. But this offense only has one gear. We don't seem to utilize those sudden, up tempo drives that helps your QB get his feet under him.

I've got a little more on Baker but I think I'll drop it on the Baker thread..

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
P
Legend
Legend
P
What I saw was at least in this game nobody can say we looked great in the first half only to let our foot off the gas in the second half.

naughtydevil

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
We really miss Chubb. People don't realize how amazing his VISION is. Hunt is a slasher and goes full throttle from the get go where Chubb has more patience.

Baker...When he sits in the pocket he has no vision. If you look at Rodgers who is the same height. He drops back further than Baker does, we are talking Shot gun Baker sits there and then comes forward rather than get that shot gun snap and then take a nice 3 step drop before hitch stepping up to throw. Just what I am seeing.

Stefanski didn't pick Baker, I hope that is not the deal here and he will go for a QB that fits his style...more a Allen type, less accurate but can run.

But if you think Baker had a horrific game and it was his fault. No, oh he contributed in the mess out there. But the Steelers plan to ATTACK the LOS and hit Baker who was hurting coming in, was obvious and we did not make adjustments. That is what scares me most. Where was our adjustments?

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
Good point about Chubb. We really miss him. Hunt is a different type back. Better out of the backfield and as a 1B type player.

Chubb hits those cutbacks and weak side zone runs so well

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Well, I tuned out when we went down 10-0, and I turned it off just before Half, so I didn't see much.

What I did see was that it was painfully clear that we were outmatched in every aspect from the word go.

Our vaunted OLine got pushed around like rag dolls.
Our DLine couldn't get ANY pressure, nor could they plug run lanes.
Sendejo is still an unguided missile.
We have absolutely nobody that can cover any of their taller receivers.
Our QB can't see stationary LBers
Even if he could, he has people in his face as soon as he finishes his drop.
We were completely ineffective at running the ball and they didn't have to sell out to stop us.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I think we learned some things and confirmed some things:

We confirmed that Hubbard is just a backup and will not fare well against elite D Lines;

We confirmed that Teller is really, really good;

We learned that Jack Conklin will struggle against speed rushers;

We learned that Hunt + Johnson is way, way < Chubb + Hunt;

We confirmed that we aren't ready to compete with the top 10 or so teams in the league;

We learned that our vaunted D line is good...but no where near elite;

We confirmed that our back (7) is below average with a couple good pieces keeping us from being poor;

We confirmed that our rookie LT has a lot of promise and a ways to go;

We learned that our rookie HC needs more to work with;

We learned nothing new about our QB who struggled mightily and confirmed that he is not yet comfortable in this offense;

I'm not sure we learned anything at all in this game other than we are not in the same league as Pitt or Balt...everything fell apart except for a few bright spots like Richardson's effort;

We can't really confirm that we progressed from the Colts game because we were inept all over the field...I'm not sure we can confirm that we regressed either as THAT might actually be what we are capable of right now;

We experienced another Browns game where we cannot truly take away much of anything positive from our play in that game.

O
Legend
Legend
O
If it wasn't obvious already, then the Steelers provided the blueprint on how to play this offense. I would think other teams would try to replicate. If Baker can't improve and adapt, then we've answered the question of what (if anything) we're going to do at QB.

Baker still has the season to improve and show what he can do. He's improved before, and I think he will.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Then we have to make adjustments. Probably more quick passes ,slants and screens etc. I think we have a coach that can make the necessary adjustments.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I hope we don't start blaming another coach and run him out of town. I didn't like the hire, but the guy is doing a good job. I don't think "lack of adjustments" were the problem.

Legend
Legend
Other teams can attempt to replicate, but they have to have the talent to pull it off.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

Sendejo is still an unguided missile.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
O
Legend
Legend
O
Creative blitzing has been used to cover for sub-par talent before.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think we have a coach that can do that too... but we also need a QB that can beat a blitz.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend

We got beat at LOS on both sides of the ball.

Teller missing hurt. Would love to get Chubb back but Hunt can do the job if we block.

Baker played poorly.

Hard to win when you lose the battle up front.

One game. Have to move on. Learn from it. Make the corrections. We are 4-2 with ten to go.

Lots of ball to be played. Lots can happen. Steelers lost Bush for the year. Things happen.

Be ready to play Sunday against an improving team that is not a push over.

Legend
Legend
Olay!

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I hope we don't start blaming another coach and run him out of town. I didn't like the hire, but the guy is doing a good job. I don't think "lack of adjustments" were the problem.

I think he means adjustments going forward. Trying to make adjustments during that game would be like trying to adjust your carburetor with a blown fuel line!

This game was a full failure in all departments, but the "way to beat the Browns" falls squarely in Baker's lap. If he can't beat pressure, can't beat the blitz... at least occasionally, then the blueprint will remain.

Fact is, this puts Baker directly into a sink or swim situation; week after week, with no excuses, because we will game plan for it. He just needs to execute. No more "well, he's making progress". Small ticks on the progress chart will probably mean more losses. Baker needs to step up to the plate.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Not only did Sendejo not tackle him .. he didn’t even TOUCH him

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

I don't think lack of adjustments were the problem either, but I do think some would have presented a possible solution. I really would have liked to have seen sometime shortly after 10-0 us go in to a no huddle for a series or two. Hit on a series of quick plays to get some confidence back in to your offensive unit as a whole, gets some points to keep you in it, and because we are good at running a lot of different things out of the same look, it may have even slowed the Steelers D a little.

But that's just me. I do give Ski credit for not coming out 1 dimensional to start the 2nd half.

All in all I think Ski is doing a fine a job especially within the context of how this year started off.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Legend
Legend
Ouch. I haven't seen anything that inept since Trent Richardson running away from the holes or Brady Quinn's accuracy chart.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
F
Legend
Legend
F
is Kareem Hunt still dealing with the groin injury? Cause he seemed a little slower than usual.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Its definitely not the coach. Its a QB that, right now, has some issues.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S

I don't think was the coach either, well he gets some blame too. IMO, the players either didn't step up the intensity in face of adversity or they couldn't.

We need Safeties and LBs.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
M
Legend
Legend
M
I just wanna say I can't wait till we look ahead to the Bengals game and put the Steelers game behind us and move on.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I didn't know exactly where to put this so I posted it here. We got beat really bad Sunday in all phases of the game. We all know that. We are a young team laying a foundation and hopefully will improve as we move forward. I remember a game back in 1969. WE had just beaten Dallas really good and were playing well. We went to Minnesota and we got destroyed 51-3. We couldn't run, couldn't pass couldn't do anything right. Bill Nelson was sacked twice and was constantly under pressure. He threw 3 picks and we had 4 all totaled. I was 12 and couldn't believe we got beat so bad. In the 53 years I've been a Browns fan this might have been our worse defeat. It was a veteran team that bounced back the following week and won easily. What I'm saying is we have to forget about this game learn from it and move forward. It's the only thing left to do. We've been outscores 76-13 in our 2 losses. We played Minnesota again that year in the championship game and got soundly beat again. The aggregate total; 78-10 Just an observation.

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 10/20/20 02:38 PM.
Legend
Legend
I think a coach owes something more to a team than I saw, especially Sunday. I think we planned well enough, but our offense didn't bring a ton of variety, specifically some work at doing things to try to take the pressure off. Not much outside running, reverses, screens, others that might have caught them. Keeping BM, a slow reader under center as much as we did, and other stuff like not rolling BM often. Some of what might have helped belongs to Ski if he is the caller. Some of what we saw, if results drive the calls and frequency of the plays, should not be seen often at all. This isn't the whole answer admittedly, but I want players to know we tried different stuff.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
yada yada...what a lode. Sorry vers so you don't think a lack of adjustments was the problem...of course not, your anti Baker agenda would benefit from that assessment.

Don't take your ball and go home.

I'm not trying to start a fight... I am looking for answers.

We got BUTT WIPED that first half. you tell me just what adjustments did we make. If you don't think adjustments is a problem then you have insulted yourself to the board on knowledge of the game!

Do I want Stefanski out...no but I want a better job. I want him to understand that Ravens, Steeler games are the season for us and we have to be amped and on a crazy to go get them level. Both games we were ho hum....1st game I gave them a pass cause it was the first game n we had a weird pandemic situation. But now I saw the same exact thing. I didn't see the fire in this team against a rival.

Then when we get butt kicked in the first half I expect ADJUSTMENTS...how can you possibly say otherwise???

Come on vers, lay the agenda aside and tell us what and why there weren't adjustments.

???

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

O
Legend
Legend
O
I will say one thing.

Case Keenum came in and did pretty much squat. No points scored (not even a field goal), I know he had few, if any, 1st team reps, but him coming in and not scoring at all tells me the issues on Sunday extend far beyond just the QB position.

-PrplPplEater
V
Legend
Legend
V
My Baker agenda? Most of the country agrees w/me and disagrees w/your Baker agenda.

And I could care less if you and a few others think I don't know football. I think most folks on here know better. But, even if they don't, it's not a character trait.

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 7 Steelers 38 What I saw Steeler Game #1

Link Copied to Clipboard