Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Carr is another qb who doesn't handle pressure very well. He gets lost in the pocket at times and will turn it over. We need to get after him. He's dangerous when he gets on a roll early and has time to throw. Streaky.

Carr and Baker are basically the same QB. Carr has some height and years on Baker, but their play are somewhat carbon copies when you look at their careers in totality.

Plus, just watching them over the years, they play basically the same.

They are both streaky, unathletic, and prone to mistakes.

I really think the QB who plays best wins the game.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: vadawgfan07
Where has Adrian Clayborn been? I know he had a hip injury but did he go to the IR?

He played In Cincy

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
One thing I think is necessary...it would be nice to see the rest of our DL step up in pass rushing. Vernon needs to show up. So does Larry O.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I'm not saying we should sleep on anyone. We are not a team that has our stuff together enough to be able to coast through any game.

But given the fact we did what we did vs Dallas (before their dumpster fire was lit), we should expect to be able to win vs Raiders, right?

Raiders are a potent offense with little D to fear... but we already beat that in the Cowboys game.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
Ok. Because I went back and checked the stats on CBS and found nothing. Was just wondering.

Legend
Legend
J/c

I’ve watched Claiborne a bit when he’s in the game. He’s markedly slower than Myles (I mean, yeah who isn’t) and hasn’t generated much

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
J/c

I’ve watched Claiborne a bit when he’s in the game. He’s markedly slower than Myles (I mean, yeah who isn’t) and hasn’t generated much

Claiborne has basically been a non-factor.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
J/c

Claiborne has basically been a non-factor.

He is old and injured

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I miss the snap count threads that you used to post in previous years. I love pouring over stuff like that.

I saw Claiborne on the field against Cinci. I think it was more than just a few plays. He didn't seem to be making much of an impact. I wonder how many snaps he actually did play?

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 10/28/20 06:29 PM.
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Originally Posted By: dawglover05
One thing I think is necessary...it would be nice to see the rest of our DL step up in pass rushing. Vernon needs to show up. So does Larry O.

When Vernon was originally signed, they had hi. Lineing up against the RT. Now has been moved to the LT side. LT is SUPPOSED to be the best o linemen you have out there. So im not surprised he is not getting many sacks. I have seen however that he does get alot of pressure at least.

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I miss the snap count threads that you used to post in previous years. I love pouring over stuff like that.

I saw Claiborne on the field against Cinci. I think it was more than just a few plays. He didn't seem to be making much of an impact. I wonder how many snaps he actually did play?

For what it's worth, I do remember at one point Clayborne slid inside at DT with Myles beside him at end.

Despite our injuries, I think our coaches have been doing a better job as of lately with rotation(s) lately...at one point we had 4 different safeties rotating last week..Despite little depth at LB, we seem to rotate an extra guy in at times. I like that we are rotating more on the Dline, unfortunately seems the talent there isn't that sound...hopefully we continue adding pieces of talent.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I see 2 fairly equal teams, so it is a game that can go either way even if one team doesn't implode with turnovers and mistakes.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
I see 2 fairly equal teams, so it is a game that can go either way even if one team doesn't implode with turnovers and mistakes.

We got totally jobbed by the refs the last time we played them. An obvious to anyone but the refs fumble recovery for a TD that was blown dead, and the taking away of a game clinching first down by someone in the NFL studios in NY. The fix was in for that game, I hope the officiating doesn't decide this one.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'm still mad about that game.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
That was a horrendous homer job when we went to Oakland 2 years ago. That was among the worst we’ve experienced

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

We got totally jobbed by the refs the last time we played them. An obvious to anyone but the refs fumble recovery for a TD that was blown dead, and the taking away of a game clinching first down by someone in the NFL studios in NY. The fix was in for that game, I hope the officiating doesn't decide this one.

Has anyone heard since of the officials using a preponderance of the game video angles to change a spot on the field, like they did in that game? It was the 1st, and only time I have seen that, and it blatantly stole the game from us.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
It was obvious they were trying to find a way to keep the Raiders in the game. I've never seen such an effort to overturn an on the field call.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: jfanent
It was obvious they were trying to find a way to keep the Raiders in the game. I've never seen such an effort to overturn an on the field call.
It was blatant IMO. ... IIRC, they were 0-3 with Gruden as a new coach and had a prime time game coming up ... NFL wanted to make sure they were gonna win that one

Legend
Legend
This is the biggest difference we are seeing this year - the number of outright controversial calls that suggest games being fixed is WAY down, or completely non-existent, in our case.

The refs used to call us for every nit-pick offense there was; this year, they are letting things go.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

F
Legend
Legend
F
I've noticed a lot more camera angles now. Even what looks like a 1st down line camera as well as the TD pylon cams.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Couldn't agree more about that game . We got screwed on the spot as well as the fumble recovery. I'd like to see us get calls like that in a close game. NEVER!!!

F
Legend
Legend
F
What game was it that there was the fumble and the ref gave the ball to our opponent even though our player was standing outside the pile showing them the football?

ahh it was washington

Last edited by FloridaFan; 10/29/20 12:57 PM.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
Couldn't agree more about that game . We got screwed on the spot as well as the fumble recovery. I'd like to see us get calls like that in a close game. NEVER!!!

You mean like when DPJ pushed off on the game winning touchdown last week?

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
j/c:

I would like to get this thread back to the match-up and away from officiating and our last game against them. Not saying it was wrong to bring up, but we discussed it and it is not related to the thread. I am not criticizing anyone. I just want to discuss the match-up.

I think most of us agree that we need to generate pressure on Carr. Do you think we can do so w/our front four? Their OL has some issues. Do you think we need to blitz? That might help, but they speed on the outside and Heller is very good. Is it a good idea to blitz w/guys who are normally in coverage?

Legend
Legend
I think you have to try it without it and see how it goes. I don't think there is a set answer for something like that.

Any time you blitz or don't blitz, there is a trade-off being made. If you don't, you risk not getting pressure. If you do, you leave a vacant area in your defense that they will likely make you pay for if you don't get there fast enough. I think you have to start out trying to generate pressure without blitzing to preserve coverage and only mix it in to either surprise them or when your standard rush isn't getting it done.

Also, I think it depends on how you define "blitz"... do you mean bringing a 5th rusher, or do you mean sending a rusher that isn't a member of the DLine, even if you are still only rushing four?

Browns is the Browns

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog

You mean like when DPJ pushed off on the game winning touchdown last week?

They were hand-fighting and DPJ won that fight.

Legend
Legend
It's a double-edged sword this week with a savvy QB and an excellent TE. Carr is completing 72% of his passes on the season, so we have to be careful. Get pressure up front, collapse the pocket, get in his face... dial up enough blitzes to "keep him honest". I don't want to get into the gambling mentality we saw last week because Carr has been beating teams deep as well.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I wouldn't mind Sendejo on a delayed blitz because I don't think he'd help in coverage anyhow.

In all seriousness, I would just start off rushing our standard 4 and see what happens. We could obviously vary how we rush them, but I wouldn't want to over-commit to getting after Carr.

Like one poster said, they have threats at every level, and I would hate to have a scenario where we have 5 or 6 unsuccessfully going after Carr while leaving either Ruggs, Waller, or both in soft coverage.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: dawglover05
I wouldn't mind Sendejo on a delayed blitz because I don't think he'd help in coverage anyhow.

We've done that.
He was an unguided missile that flew right past the guy with the ball.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
I f he accidentally got a tackle or so, then it must have been a broken play. How can the coaching carry on about how great a help it is to have him on the field calling coverages and getting guys where they belong? I do not remember him covering any motion, and he whiffs a lot. Not flying to the ball enough, and misses when he gets there, usually knocking a few more of us off in the process.

He should be charged for a PSL if he is going to be a spectator.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg

He should be charged for a PSL if he is going to be a spectator.

rofl

He is likely one of those guys who IS really valuable as a field general type guy, but he's just not good enough to fill his own spot on the field. As soon as we have someone that can do the job of making sure the other ten guys are lined up in the right spot, then maybe we can put one of our WR out there, or something, in his place. Or maybe Jamie Gillan.

Browns is the Browns

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Are you talking about the missed tackle on Conner? That was not good... Romo was harping on him for that one I remember.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Another thing or two to consider is that earlier this evening was that no teams run the ball more than the Browns on first down. Additionally, no team has faced 7 men in the box on all 3 downs than the Browns.

It sure seems like we want to run the ball. It also seems like other teams are really concerned w/stopping the run. Do we trust our passing game enough to exploit this?

T
Legend
Legend
T
Not for nothing but 6 hours ago on KNR they were asking, who does the Browns run game miss more, Teller or Chubb, and the consensous was Chubb.

It reminded me of a thought I had just before then, about the effect of the Beckham injury on the Browns run game.

Beckham is a WR, but a healthy Beckham is a threat to a defense, and after his run at Dallas, a threat to run also.
The problem is, with Beckham out, Safeties will be more likely to think they can sneak up and make tackles in the run game.

If the Browns Rb's start getting tackled for short or no gains by Safeties, then the injury to Beckham is hurting the Browns' running game.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I was watching NFL Live and they were talking about how much attention OBJ drew from the defense and his absence will allow defenses to commit even more guys to stop the run.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Not just the run, but underneath stuff, too.

His loss is not insignificant. Higgins will help because all he does is make plays, but we need a speedster to run the deep routes now.

Hodge, DPJ will get some snaps.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
The weather forecast looks to benefit our running game:

Very windy; mostly cloudy with a couple of showers, mainly early in the day
Max UV Index
1 Low

Wind
W 27 mph

Wind Gusts
35 mph

Probability of Precipitation
73%

Probability of Thunderstorms
20%

Precipitation
0.18 in

Rain
0.18 in

Hours of Precipitation

Hours of Rain

Cloud Cover
91%

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
This is where Baker now has to step up and make D's pay for them trying to stop the run. Let's see if he can deliver. This is an important game not only because the Raiders are a team we will be competing with for a playoff spot but imagine being 6-2 at the halfway point and into a bye week. All I can say is WOW. UNPRECEDENTED!!!!!!!

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
The hardest weather condition for a qb to deal with is wind. Baker's strong arm should help in that regard. He can really zip the ball and doesn't use a lot of loft. That could give us an advantage.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 6 Raiders 16 Raiders at Browns Match-up

Link Copied to Clipboard