OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Who’s ready, Dawgs? Friday!

This is the way.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yep,

I am probably going to run through season 1 in preparation.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist
Who’s ready, Dawgs? Friday!

This is the way.

Sweet! Didn't realize it started back this week!

<><

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg
Yep,

... an excellent idea.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
S
Legend
Legend
S
cant wait

M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Y
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg
Yep,

... an excellent idea.

Started it again this AM!

#gmstrong
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I absolutely DESPISE anything Disney has done with Star Wars in the last 5+ years. I think their writers are hacks and Kathleen Kennedy is the devil.

I've been told this series is being directed by a different group with George Lucas being consulted. Is that true? Is this show worth watching? Is it like the old Star Wars?

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
O
Legend
Legend
O
I agree with you about the first part of your post (though not as intensely).

Last season was a bunch of directors, overseen by Jon Favreau (sp?). It is excellent, and absolutely worth your time. I'm not really sure you can say it's like the old Star Wars. To be honest, I found the story kind of lacking in Season 1, but how the characters are developed is excellent.

Is it worth signing up for Disney+... that is the real question.

Last edited by oobernoober; 10/27/20 11:37 AM.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
LOL

“old Star Wars”

rofl

S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: tastybrownies
I absolutely DESPISE anything Disney has done with Star Wars in the last 5+ years. I think their writers are hacks and Kathleen Kennedy is the devil.

I've been told this series is being directed by a different group with George Lucas being consulted. Is that true? Is this show worth watching? Is it like the old Star Wars?

I don't mind the new star wars movies, my wife and I went through the whole series. Those first 3 episodes were brutal. We went through the order you are supposed to with Mandalorian being between episode 6 and 7.

Episodes 4-6, the originals, are clearly the best of the entire series. I do think Rogue One is maybe the next best.

I know Solo got some bad reviews, but I really enjoyed it.

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
The Last Jedi is my favorite. I wish they would’ve done Finn a lot better along with Rose. Rian Johnson completely deconstructed Star Wars and we’re all better off for it.

Y
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y
The Last Jedi is my favorite. I wish they would’ve done Finn a lot better along with Rose. Rian Johnson completely deconstructed Star Wars and we’re all better off for it.

Except most of what johnson did was tossed out... Rise of Skywalker made the last jedi a throw away.

I didn't give a crap about Rose's character. Finn turned out to be less of a main player than I thought he would be but so be it...

#gmstrong
Y
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y
I also quite enjoyed both Rogue One and Solo. I didn't understand the hate for Solo.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I didn't really care for Solo, but yeah... the amount of whining in response to that movie was way out of proportion.

-PrplPplEater
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Oh man, some of you and your hate for The Last Jedi will never die, will it?

Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.

Y
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y
Oh man, some of you and your hate for The Last Jedi will never die, will it?

Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.

I didn't hate the last jedi until rise of skywalker made it absolutely useless to the story. Before that, enjoyable. Now it's like, what was the point?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
i didn't care for episodes 1-3 (still will watch them with my boys).... really liked the last three episodes and I'm with you... I find Rogue one and Solo enjoyable from an entertainment standpoint

<><

#gmstrong
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Rian Johnson is an abomination! He hated the characters of Han Solo and made a joke of Luke Skywalker.

So glad he got found out for what he actually was and got effectively fired\sidelined. I could talk about his Kathleen Kennedy's choices for a day straight. Even most of the actors didn't care for Johnson's writing. Glad we're moving on!

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
News just recently came out that Lucas was going to do the same thing to Luke in Episode 8 in his version. Rey is also based note for note on what Lucas wanted from the main protagonist.

Not surprised you hate Kathleen Kennedy.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
My wife just TODAY announced she is FINALLY interested in this show. So we start binging (me rewatching) the entire first season before I start Season 2. It's no big deal until I find it difficult to avoid spoilers.

O
Legend
Legend
O
News just recently came out that Lucas was going to do the same thing to Luke in Episode 8 in his version. Rey is also based note for note on what Lucas wanted from the main protagonist.

Not surprised you hate Kathleen Kennedy.

I think a large part of the outrage is the level of expectations set by the original trilogy coupled with Disney holding the wheel. Success of the original trilogy (IMO) was largely due to a freedom/confidence to do something different/creative (and luck... Lucas himself hasn't had anywhere near the same level of success as the original trilogy with "his" own franchise). Disney is a big stuffy corporation and sees Star Wars as one of its cash cows. It's not going to gamble. So they'll always be able to get the hype train rolling because of the passion behind the franchise, but probably won't ever deliver anything creatively great.

-PrplPplEater
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
I loved TLJ because it did things that were brave and unexpected.

One of my favorite directors is David Lynch. TLJ is the closest thing we’ll ever get to a Lynch like Star Wars.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I just don't see it. Even the things that were remotely cool were effectively undone or dropped and ignored and went nowhere. The whole thing just tracked too closely with the original trilogy for me to acknowledge any real creativity. It's possible the first one (A New Hope 2: Electric Boogaloo) kinda poisoned my whole viewing experience for the trilogy. I was constantly "well, that was just this portion of the original trilogy repackaged".

-Rose's character and backstory could've been awesome... but they just didn't do anything with it. Same with Finn.

-I was hoping for Rey's character to be stronger (especially when dealing with the other Force-wielding folk) with less "lost puppy". There was a rumor/theory that Rey would introduce the idea of Grey Jedi to the maintream. I was hoping this would be a cool way for her to not only stand up to the Sith, but also, in a different way, to the Jedi.

-Kylo Ren was a poor man's Darth Vader. I dunno, maybe that was the whole point of him idolizing Vader and I'm missing a part of his character. I prefer my antagonists strong so that when they're defeated (either by violence or by turning them to good), it means something for the protagonist.

-I was not a fan of the final final baddy (not sure if we should still be avoiding spoilers). Borderline deus ex machina, imo.

I could keep going, but I just realized that I'm talking about the whole trilogy, and you're focusing on TLJ.

-PrplPplEater
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
It's possible the first one (A New Hope 2: Electric Boogaloo) kinda poisoned my whole viewing experience for the trilogy. I was constantly "well, that was just this portion of the original trilogy repackaged".

Yeah, I'm right there with you. Too much of a retread in many places. The forest duel at the end was amazing, but everything else was kind of hit and miss. There were some original moments with a lot of bad stuff like the trench run section.

Quote:
-Rose's character and backstory could've been awesome... but they just didn't do anything with it. Same with Finn.

Yeah, I get why Johnson was trying to do when their arcs wrapped up at the end of TLJ but it didn't hit me well. Finn should've been allowed to go train with the force ghost of Qui-Gon. Rose should've gone on some heist with poe. Finn training to be a jedi would've been some good daulity that was going on with the theme of the film.

Quote:
I was hoping for Rey's character to be stronger (especially when dealing with the other Force-wielding folk) with less "lost puppy". There was a rumor/theory that Rey would introduce the idea of Grey Jedi to the maintream. I was hoping this would be a cool way for her to not only stand up to the Sith, but also, in a different way, to the Jedi.

I was hoping for the same! I love the idea of grey jedis. I always found the idea of balance to not be the absolutely of light triumphs over dark. Abrahms met with Lucas to discuss the nature of the force. I think it was over this concept and Lucas told him don't do it.

Look into the original Episode 9. The Duel of The Fates continued on a lot of Johnson's themes.

Quote:
-Kylo Ren was a poor man's Darth Vader. I dunno, maybe that was the whole point of him idolizing Vader and I'm missing a part of his character. I prefer my antagonists strong so that when they're defeated (either by violence or by turning them to good), it means something for the protagonist.

The original episode 9 addressed this. He was going to go full blown crazy.

Quote:
-I was not a fan of the final final baddy (not sure if we should still be avoiding spoilers). Borderline deus ex machina, imo.

The original Episode 9 had a much more creative individual in the shadows.

About the big bad of Rise...
Click to reveal..
Ugh, I hate bringing Palpatine back! There was no reason for it. I really don't like Episode 9. I really didn't like Rey having to be related to someone, either.

Quote:
I could keep going, but I just realized that I'm talking about the whole trilogy, and you're focusing on TLJ.

Oh, I totally agree. TFA has decent moments but ROS totally missed the landing. I have yet to actually buy the bluray.
-----------------

Please try and mark spoilers for this season.

Code:
[spoiler]text here[/spoiler]

is how to mark them for those who don't know. There's also a button next to quote to do it, too.

O
Legend
Legend
O
first... thank you for the reminder about spoilers for Mando Season 2.

- re: Finn and the Force... ok, maybe I need to go back and re-watch. Finn was Force-sensitive? Was that why he was able to "come to" in the very beginning of Ep. 7? Just tell me if I need to go back and re-watch RoS, because I ended up missing that one in the theatres and wasn't able to give it the full movie experience at home (interruptions). I was already soured on the trilogy by the time it was coming out.

One thing I forgot to mention (specifically in TLJ, but also in RoS) about Leia that I hated. All of a sudden, with very little explanation/effort, she's some awesome Jedi goddess person... "yup, she totally trained to be a warrior... sorry we never mentioned that". I thought it would've made much more sense that she expressed her force powers in a more strategic/political way (as a leader/general). But nope... she can space-magic her way through the vacuum of space... :-(

There were quite a few interviews/articles done with cast members that inferred a LOT of frustration bubbling up to the surface. Much was directed at Star Wars rabid fan-base (which is probably deserved) but there was some left to attribute to the movies/stories/characters themselves. To me, this indicates to a subpar product.

I was frustrated... but I know I'm just going to lap up anything/everything Disney puts out that's Star Wars regardless... sigh.

Have you watched Clone Wars? Opinions?

-PrplPplEater
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Clone Wars is great. That was all put together magnificently and added so much goodness to the SW canon.

Clone Wars, along with Star Wars: Rebels, Rogue One, and Mandalorian are proof that Star Wars ain't dead. In the right hands it can be as cool as ever. A lot of people have jumped on this "DISNEY Star Wars sucks" bandwagon. Even though, in my OPINION, the sequel trilogy was a failure, I will never immediately write off any future Star Wars material just because Disney owns it.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Really enjoyed the first episode. The final seconds (although I knew the actor was included in the season) was well done.

I like Timothy Olyphant as an actor too. Good to see him involved.

Tackles are tackles.
O
Legend
Legend
O
One of my few gripes about Mando Season 1 was the (imo) plodding pace of the story.

Any early thoughts on this, or too early to tell?

-PrplPplEater
C
Legend
Legend
C
One of my few gripes about Mando Season 1 was the (imo) plodding pace of the story.

Any early thoughts on this, or too early to tell?

Definitely plodding.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I’m with you. I think episodes 7, 8, and 9 are the worst in the set. By far.

The Mandalorian was excellent. Haven’t seen the new one yet, but season 1 very good.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg

I’m with you. I think episodes 7, 8, and 9 are the worst in the set. By far.

The Mandalorian was excellent. Haven’t seen the new one yet, but season 1 very good.

You seriously think Episodes 7-9 are worse than episodes 1 and 2? I can barely watch episodes 1 and 2... I actually really like the new ones... I found them entertaining.

<><

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
1 and 2 are bad. But I think the new ones are worse.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
1 and 2 are bad. But I think the new ones are worse.

fair enough... entitled to your opinion smile

might be because I really like Rey as a character....

Mando last night I thought was really good... glad it's back... wish they release the whole season at once though

<><

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
I cant stand 1,2,3. I enjoyed 7,8,9. I liked Solo. I couldnt ever get into Rogue One. Mostly because it doesnt hold my attention. I needed to see it in the theater.

No Craps Given
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Same.

Rey is not a terrible character. Not as whiny as Anakin or Luke.

Actually, I can only sit through 3, 4, and 5 anymore. And Rogue One. That may have been my favorite.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Rogue one was great!

I thought Solo was entertaining.... I watch all of the episodes multiple times... but there are some that are pretty hard for my to stomach... Episode one is awful...

<><

#gmstrong
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Some thoughts on Chapter 9

Click to reveal..

• Loved the Krait Dragon! Great way to pay it off in the end with Din/Mando knowing he could potentially do it if he needed to.
  • I wondered if we were going to get the Boba payoff and to what extent. As Memphis mentioned, I too knew Temuera was cast but I didn't know if it was going to be for Fett or someone else. Interested to see how he plays into the overall story. Memphis, you familiar with some of ther other names rumored and for what characters? If so, how do you feel about the potential additions?
  • This series is giving me a newfound appreciation for the Tusken Raiders.
  • I didn't know much about Timothy Olyphant before this other than he was in this season. I love how they paid off Cad Bane from the books. It was rumored in a book that Cad Bane was doing exactly what was in the show. Talk about a deep dive!
  • The theme is growing on me. Probably the best piece of music that's come from the Disney acquisition.
  • I'd take a show just about those pit droids. Nice touch on Anakin's pod engine engine, too!

Super excited for Chapter 10.

I'd give this episode a 3.5/5.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Some thoughts on Chapter 9

Click to reveal..

• Loved the Krait Dragon! Great way to pay it off in the end with Din/Mando knowing he could potentially do it if he needed to.
  • I wondered if we were going to get the Boba payoff and to what extent. As Memphis mentioned, I too knew Temuera was cast but I didn't know if it was going to be for Fett or someone else. Interested to see how he plays into the overall story. Memphis, you familiar with some of ther other names rumored and for what characters? If so, how do you feel about the potential additions?
    Isn't Boba dead?
  • This series is giving me a newfound appreciation for the Tusken Raiders.
  • I didn't know much about Timothy Olyphant before this other than he was in this season. I love how they paid off Cad Bane from the books. It was rumored in a book that Cad Bane was doing exactly what was in the show. Talk about a deep dive!
  • The theme is growing on me. Probably the best piece of music that's come from the Disney acquisition.
  • I'd take a show just about those pit droids. Nice touch on Anakin's pod engine engine, too!

Isn't Boba dead? I wouldn't mind the story going off in the armor direction. The best parts of the show, imo, is when you're getting peaks into the Mandalorian culture/people.

Super excited for Chapter 10.

Spoiler question up in there.
I'd give this episode a 3.5/5.

-PrplPplEater
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Click to reveal..
There's lots of places to go.

So part of the Clone Wars cartoon and comics/books mentioend that Jango actually wasn't a true Mandalorian. There's a lot of factions within the Mandalorians from Mandalore. Jango was apparently not from Mandalore but grew up within a Mandalore communtiy on another planet. His armor wasn't actually beskar but of a different material. He made it look like typically Mandalorian garb. There were mixed opinions at best about Jango within strict Mandalorian adherents.

So with the sub-plot with "return the armor", there could be some interesting conversations that occur between Boba and Din about if Boba himself actually did work on winning favor of Mandalore or if he followed what his father did.

We also know that Din himself isn't a true Mandalorian as he was taken in as a foundling, so that'll be some interesting comparing and contrasting between Boba and Din.

Also, you're in for a real big treat if you're a fan of the Clone Wars cartoon. I won't say much more, but this season is going to get fun. Boba is just the tip of the iceberg.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... The Mandalorian Season 2

Link Copied to Clipboard