Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
dawglover05 #1812987 11/02/20 10:25 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think you are one of the guys who try to be objective in your analysis along w/guys like oober, Tru, Cap, etc. So, I want to run something by you guys just to give you something to think about and watch for as we navigate the remainder of the season.

It's two-fold and involves both lines. I will start w/the DL.

I think we saw Ogunjobi getting moved on some of LV's running plays, but let's look at a bigger picture. What was our fear [both fans and coaching staff] coming into the game. Woods talked about having a plan to stop Waller. Many of us talked about it leading up to the game. We feared Waller and then Ruggs over the top. How do you slow that down? The obvious answer is to drop your linebackers in zone coverage and also commit at least one safety to cover the intermediate middle of the field. So, what area of your defense is compromised when you do that? The obvious answer is stuffing the run because you are outnumbered up front. My conclusion is that while we need more productivity and toughness on the DL, the bigger culprits are the linebackers and safeties because they are not adequate in either defending the pass or stopping the run w/a larger emphasis on their inadequacies in the passing game.

The second part involves the OL. Comments have been made about us not getting a push. However, the Browns have faced more seven man fronts than any team in the league. Teams are stacking the LOS because we were leading the league in rushing for most of the season. The question is how do you defeat loaded LOS boxes? I think our passing game needs to step up and make the opposing defenses pay for committing so many men to the box. That should open up the running lanes again. Do we have the right guys in place to be a good passing team?

Something for some of you to ponder...

Legend
Legend
Your point about our defense’s focus is really valid. We certainly didn’t want to let Waller and Ruggs beat us, which makes sense. You gotta pick your poison.

My only gripe would be that, IMO, we needed to adjust after the game had started. The weather and THEIR game plan were both well known. Short, quick passes and the run game. I don’t think Gruden trusted Carr yesterday any more than we trusted Baker. I would have liked to see a bit more of us making them beat us through the air once the variables were known.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
O
Legend
Legend
O
I don't disagree with anything you say. I do have one question, though.... It's truly an honest/sincere question, but at the same time I think you can see where I'm going with this.

If our Oline/RB is truly a strength, wouldn't we be able to still run it some even with them dialed up to stop it? If so, are we really that banged up to where our strength isn't one until we get people back?

I, personally, don't buy the explanation that Chubb coming back will cure all (or even most) of our problems. His backup is a rushing title holder that is still in the midst of his prime years. We've lost 1 guy on the line. OBJ being out also frees up some defensive attention, but we've still got guys that can get open and do damage.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Thanks Vers. Those are good lines of thought. I'll attempt to tackle them both:

On the DL and the LBs: Like you, I think they are both at fault. My inference from reading your post (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that you are putting more onus on the LBs than the DL. I think I put them more on level ground in being at-fault. Like you, I imagine that Woods' initial plan was to stop Waller and Ruggs over the top. Oddly enough, on a couple passing downs, I think that plan was executed well. I remember we showed blitz and then only rushed 3. I think the play either ended in pressure on Carr and either an incomplete or near-INT. However, I have to imagine, in light of the weather and the early successes that the Raiders had running the ball, Woods adjusted his scheme to focus more on stopping the run. In that scenario, we saw the DL get pushed back with LV's OL at the second level within 2 seconds of the snap, which was just demoralizing. I do not think that that LB's are great in either coverage or stopping the run. In this case, however, they had very little help from the DL in terms of eating up blocks.

I feel like we have DTs who are more "penetrators" when it comes to attacking opposing OLs. They aren't adept at taking up blockers. I felt like what I saw yesterday was the Raiders running a man-blocking scheme that squared up with our DTs and pushed them back. Once the RB made it to that level, the OL had already started taking on the second level of our LBs who also struggle with shedding blocks.

So, to answer your question on the first point, I think the initial scheme was the zone that you had described, but that had morphed due to the weather and due to the Raiders' early success running. When the Raiders did pass, we saw them exploit weak links like Takitaki and Sendejo, almost as though Carr's reads involved looking for either one of those two.
Sadly, I don't think we were able to execute either our coverage or run-stuffing effectively. So, pretty much the entire defense, except our outside corners failed at what I would say was an equal level of failure.

To your second point, I think our OL - outside of Wills - did a fine job yesterday. I definitely think we are at the point where defenses have adjusted to our early running success and our passing game needs to step up. The drops yesterday killed us. I will never even pretend to be a better play caller or scheme developer than Stefanski, but I would like to see us take more advantage of the defenses honing in on the run. More boot legs and more quick play action. More RBs coming out of the backfield and/or screens. We just struggle to get into a rhythm there. It seems like we were hitting guys in some of the intermediate routes, but they just dropped them.

I would like to focus on scheming for more 5 routes to Higgins and PA 1 or 2 routes to Landry to try and get into a rhythm. Also some 6 routes to our TEs, like the one Njoku dropped yesterday that could have really helped. Getting defenses to creep up on the run and then executing those routes I think would go a long way to getting a balanced, effective offense that keeps the D more honest. Those routes don't take an excessive amount of time to develop and our OL has shown, on average, that they can give Baker all the time he needs to hit those receivers.

My thoughts are somewhat jumbled in my head trying to break all this out. If we keep the convo going, hopefully I can continue to lay them out more clearly.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
oobernoober #1813010 11/02/20 11:20 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
To your point, I think one of the most dominating things a team can do to another team is run the ball when the other team is expecting you to run it and scheming to stop it.

I still think you need to have some element of a passing game to keep the other team honest, though, for those times when your run game isn't as potent as you want it to be. If your run scheme is effective against 7 or 8 in the box, keeping the defense honest in terms of playing the past would make your run game an even more potent threat.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Neither was a drop.

He had the ball in his hands both times...until he didn't.

It's easier just to say he dropped them though.

WSU Willie #1813013 11/02/20 11:25 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O
I would hope the one where he got sandwiched in mid-air doesn't count as a drop. Baker got him crushed.

The diving one in the endzone that was reversed was a ball that Landry catches (and secures) usually. Dude is getting paid the big bucks for a couple reasons, and that's one.

The first one was totally a drop.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
dawglover05 #1813015 11/02/20 11:27 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks for responding w/a thoughtful post.

Swish #1813017 11/02/20 11:31 AM
Legend
Legend
Browns gotta start getting off the field on 4th down this season. Opponents 13-14 now.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
EveDawg #1813023 11/02/20 11:40 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
jc

I felt like the playcalling was craptastic.

The first half we mostly tried to run.

And they stacked the box.

Should have been more passes called to keep the D honest.

Baker can throw on a rope so why not more 10-15 yard throws?

I know weather was a thing, but we played way too conservative.

I think Stef just couldn't figure out what we could do decently in that weather against that team. Success on anything we tried was very hit & miss, and unfortunately, just a couple of misses - or a couple of ill-timed penalties - in that weather is a killer.

We couldn't get any consistency at all and then the defense did us no favors.

Typically, this year, the defense has been good for coming up with at least one turnover or more. Stopping a drive and turning it into an opportunity for us. That didn't happen yesterday.

None of our playmakers made a play.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

GratefulDawg #1813025 11/02/20 11:41 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
Browns gotta start getting off the field on 4th down this season. Opponents 13-14 now.

Everyone, raise your hand if you expected them to convert that 3rd & 18.

(yeah, yeah, they had to convert the 4th & 1, but close enough)

Browns is the Browns

WSU Willie #1813032 11/02/20 11:51 AM
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Neither was a drop.

He had the ball in his hands both times...until he didn't.

It's easier just to say he dropped them though.

One he did a full extension jump to get, one he got speared in the back of the head.

We're trying to throw the ball downfield and he checked the ball down to Trent Richardson and the Indians on the choice.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Great post Vers.

I was one of the ones who thought Waller was going to have a career day. I noticed that we did contain him a lot better than I expected, and forgot to mention that in my post-game thoughts. Thanks for the reminder.

In taking away that threat, it makes sense we exposed something else. We are not at the level where that won't happen. Stop the biggest threat and try to deal with the next.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
PrplPplEater #1813051 11/02/20 12:25 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
GratefulDawg #1813053 11/02/20 12:32 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

and, I quote myself from another post: "opportunistic hot garbage"

When they stop getting takeaways, they're just "hot garbage".

Browns is the Browns

O
Legend
Legend
O
That's a great point (as someone else also said) about focusing on Waller and co. I forgot about that.

-PrplPplEater
oobernoober #1813072 11/02/20 01:26 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
I would hope the one where he got sandwiched in mid-air doesn't count as a drop. Baker got him crushed.

The diving one in the endzone that was reversed was a ball that Landry catches (and secures) usually. Dude is getting paid the big bucks for a couple reasons, and that's one.

Where else was Baker supposed to put the ball in that wind tunnel? Jarvis had both hands on the ball...until he didn't. That's a drop.

He's Jarvis Landry...not Damion Ratley...he needed to hold on to the ball. We see stud receivers make that play all the time...we see Landry make tough catches all the time...but he did not on those two plays...and it was very costly.

And no...I do not want to trade him.

WSU Willie #1813075 11/02/20 01:36 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
The answer to your first question is to someone else, or through the goal posts. Landry was all kinds of covered.

-PrplPplEater
WSU Willie #1813079 11/02/20 01:45 PM
Legend
Legend
The 2nd drop, IIRC, was double coverage, and while Jarvis had both hands on the ball, the DB reached up between his hands and dislodged the ball.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Pdawg #1813087 11/02/20 02:15 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
When Porter Gustin is your highest-graded D player... that just about sums it up right there (I like him, but he's a backup).

I think Vernon's grade is inflated from his 2 sacks. Didn't those come on the same drive and I believe that drive still ended up netting the Raiders a FG.

I know Ogunjobi isn't playing well, but that grade is BAD.

Curious how Landry graded out. Thought Mayfield might grade out a little higher.

-PrplPplEater
GratefulDawg #1813091 11/02/20 02:22 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D

I don't know why anyone ever punts against us. Wait, they don't ...

Pdawg #1813099 11/02/20 02:33 PM
Legend
Legend
Ooof ... not a good look for Larry O or Mack Wilson or Wills

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
WSU Willie #1813108 11/02/20 02:52 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
Originally Posted By: oobernoober

Where else was Baker supposed to put the ball in that wind tunnel? Jarvis had both hands on the ball...until he didn't. That's a drop.

He's Jarvis Landry...not Damion Ratley...he needed to hold on to the ball. We see stud receivers make that play all the time...we see Landry make tough catches all the time...but he did not on those two plays...and it was very costly.

And no...I do not want to trade him.

I thought Mayfield put that pass where Landry got crunched the only place he could have. I recall another TD on that exact same play where Landry made the catch, but that was without 2 cracked ribs. The other diving catch that got overturned was a catch, period, and should have been upheld. Great catch, great throw. Refs hosed us.

CapCity Dawg #1813109 11/02/20 02:53 PM
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
- I have accepted what we (IMO) are. We can beat bad teams. We are not in the same league as the good teams. We have a chance against the middling teams as long as they are not mean. Physical teams have their way with us. Pitt showed that, and LV followed that script.

And that pretty much mirrors my post game thought.

I think most realistic fans were thinking the same thing before the season. I think we knew the defense was going to have a higher learning curve than the offense as well (regardless of injuries). How poorly the defense has played...well, I know I was sort of crossing my fingers that it wouldn't be quite this bad.

I guess this is why I'm not terribly surprised or outraged about yesterday. It's played out about the way we thought it would. At least for me.

Hell, I'm just glad that we're going to have 16 games this year. I was a bit more pessimistic about that than anything else.

I know that we were "built to win now" on offense in particular. But, still too many pieces missing in other facets of the team.

What does bother me (and has since the return, as many other posters have stated) is that we truly lost our identity as a bruising, tough home field team in '96. Yesterday's loss was a reminder of that.

Last edited by AZBrown; 11/02/20 02:56 PM.
Dave #1813154 11/02/20 06:05 PM
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Throw was where it needed to be. Landry has to make that catch.

The first hit the ground and moved - no catch.

Hammer #1813164 11/02/20 06:54 PM
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Hammer #1813165 11/02/20 06:58 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
I didn't see it move. I think its a catch, at the very least as much of a catch as Renfrow's TD. The NFL is wearing me out with these endless reviews involving what is a catch and what isn't.

Dave #1813167 11/02/20 07:01 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Dave
I didn't see it move. I think its a catch, at the very least as much of a catch as Renfrow's TD. The NFL is wearing me out with these endless reviews involving what is a catch and what isn't.

We make those catches we win ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Pdawg #1813177 11/02/20 07:22 PM
Legend
Legend
PFF considers five drops for Browns. I’m willing to bet they weren’t counting the second ball in the end zone.

Drops by players

Landry 2
Hunt
Njoku
Janovich

#gmstrong
Pdawg #1813179 11/02/20 07:49 PM
Legend
Legend
The Njoku one was the worst IMO ... and I forgot about the Janovich. It was 3rd and long and actually a good playcall with a convoy in front

Swish #1813190 11/02/20 09:06 PM
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
The NFL screwed up the whole catch thing with their stupid interpretation of what constitutes a catch. Hits the ground but receiver possesses and does not move, but does not use the ground to assist in the catch, makes a football move consistent with the game, blah, blah, blah. All crap.

Simply put, it should be like baseball. If the ball in any way, shape, or form hits the damn ground, it is NOT a catch. Brown on ground = no go at this station. Easy, peasy.

Dawgs4Life #1813205 11/02/20 10:32 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
The Njoku one was the worst IMO ... and I forgot about the Janovich. It was 3rd and long and actually a good playcall with a convoy in front

The overturned Landry TD was by far the worst.

Rishuz #1813208 11/02/20 10:45 PM
Legend
Legend
both were killers.

Choosing which was worse fot that game is like trying to decide which is worse for dinner; cat feces or dog feces.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Clemdawg #1813209 11/02/20 10:46 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
There is no choice. One was a TD that would have given the Browns the lead.

To claim that a first down drop is in the same category makes no sense.

Swish #1813210 11/02/20 10:51 PM
Legend
Legend
The dropped interception should be in the running.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Rishuz #1813215 11/02/20 11:26 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

The overturned Landry TD was by far the worst.
It was a way tougher catch though. Yes, he could have caught it and looked like he did. But Njoku’s was to extend a drive and all but guarantee us points. When he dropped it our chances to win decreased significantly. At least when Landry dropped it we still tied it

Swish #1813216 11/02/20 11:40 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C

Last edited by cfrs15; 11/02/20 11:41 PM.
Dawgs4Life #1813220 11/02/20 11:57 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
We will have to agree to disagree on many counts.

Swish #1813226 11/03/20 01:18 AM
L
Legend
Legend
L
The most worrisome thing about that loss is that they manhandled us in the run game.

That is why we lost.
The Njoku drop lingers, though. That was not clutch. The total opposite of that, and btw did we trade him yet?

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 6 Raiders 16 Post Game

Link Copied to Clipboard