Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
So... how does one make sense of this series of events?

Dude has been playing for team, is released due attitude, and is picked up by a team. He's had a groin strain... but that's a pretty run-of-the-mill injury in the NFL, right? Dude fails his physical, and doesn't join his new team. New team #2 claims him like the whole process hasn't just happened.

How does this process make sense?

I think a team can fail a player’s physical in that they see the injury and weigh it against their risk/reward/needs. One team may take a chance on a quicker recovery. Or just view the player as a long term play. Not looking to need him anytime soon anyway. Another team may be in more dire need of immediate help and feel they can find that elsewhere quicker.
I don’t think failing a physical is about the players health as much as it is the team’s view of their health as to how it pertains to the team’s need.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Can someone shed some light on what this all really means?

Why wouldn't Cincy or SF simply keep the guy and put him on IR until he heals up? I'm sure they would have to pay the guy, but so what? They knew that he was dinged when they signed him.

You could sign him healthy today and he sprains his MCL tomorrow. Isn't this just like buying a high draft pick?

T
Legend
Legend
T
I can't see what Grateful posted, nor have been following the situation very close at all but, seems straightforward to me.
As my history of watching the NFL seems, explain it like:

Say the Browns cut player Andrew Sendejo, or Redwine or ?, and Cincinnati picks him up off waivers, but Sendewine fails the physical,

at that point it's done, cincy is out because he's a non player in Cincy's book from that point forward, (failing the physical means it's a non starter, a deal breaker) Cincy's Dr.'s would feel the guy can never play.

But, at that point, Sendewine still wanting to make a living is a free agent to try and get any other team to sign him.
And if another team, maybe the Seahawks, think they can work out his injury and want what his game offers int he future, Seattle could sign with no compensation to either Cincy or Clevelnad.

This kind of thing has happened in the past where the Browns iirc. gave up assets for someone who then failed the physical and were just poop outtta luck, on the wasted assets.

in short, Failing the physical means the team is done no longer interested,

If that sheds light.

(trades have been negated, that's what it was, a trade was voided in the past, happened to the Browns circa 2007)

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie

Why wouldn't Cincy or SF simply keep the guy and put him on IR until he heals up? I'm sure they would have to pay the guy, but so what? They knew that he was dinged when they signed him.

You could sign him healthy today and he sprains his MCL tomorrow. Isn't this just like buying a high draft pick?

Now there are 3 teams that had him and want nothing to do with him. That's a hint and a half. It's probably more than just a failed physical that's causing teams to not want him around.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
C
Legend
Legend
C
He's not under contract for next year.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Yes...but if we decided to keep him, we'd have to sign him...then - I suppose - IR him.

Cincy and SF are/were going absolutely nowhere this year...they knew he was dinged and he alone wouldn't get them to the playoffs...how could they have claimed him without seeing some probability that the guy can't play right now? This guy is a "futures" signing / risk.

I hope we sign the guy...give him a reasonable contract based on his failed physicals...and put him on IR assuming he won't be back until 2021.

He's 25 and a former 1st Rd pick...and he costs us nothing but $$$. If he turns out to be whacked, then we cut him and move on.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I wouldn't want to sign a guy without him playing first.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

It could be because they wanted him for THIS year only. If he was not in their future plans and he can't play much this year then it makes no sense for them to keep him.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Quote:

It could be because they wanted him for THIS year only. If he was not in their future plans and he can't play much this year then it makes no sense for them to keep him.

I agree...but where were the Bengals and 49ers going this year...regardless of who/whom they pick up??

Nowhere and they knew he was dinged when Atlanta released him. It makes no sense to me.

All Pro
All Pro
Between clearing Covid protocols and there only 6 games left. If we picked him up an IR'ed him, he would only be eligible for 2 games and a possible post season.

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
O
Legend
Legend
O

Cinci and SF didn't know this before putting in a claim?

I'll say the same thing I said before... there's a significant portion of this waiver claim/physical check that I just don't get.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: oobernoober

Cinci and SF didn't know this before putting in a claim?

I'll say the same thing I said before... there's a significant portion of this waiver claim/physical check that I just don't get.

They knew. They were just probably hoping he could contribute immediate and didn’t want him taking up a roster spot if he couldn’t play.

Legend
Legend
I'm not sure, but I don't think a team can keep a player that doesn't pass the physical. Like, if they are not already on your roster and don't pass a physical, you cannot sign them and then immediately put them on IR. They have to already be on the roster first in order to go to IR, and they cannot get on the roster without passing the physical.... and, if they pass the physical, then there is no justification to then move them to IR.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
Just a thought. Could it be that He just did not want to play for the Bengals or 49ers? I don't think he has a say in where he goes / who claims him but if he flat out refused to play, the easiest out would be for him to "fail a physical", no? I seem to recall a player before ( maybe more than one) getting claimed off waivers and failing a physical only to clear waivers and sign with another team whom he passed a physical and played for.

Legend
Legend
Doesn't sound foolish to me. Crossed their fingers and rolled their dice with eyes wide open. Just crapped out, and like Eve says, "No craps given."

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
C
Legend
Legend
C
Just going off his social media he was excited both times he was claimed.

By the way, the Raiders got him this time.

Legend
Legend

Last edited by GratefulDawg; 11/23/20 08:21 PM.

#gmSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
fingers crossed!

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T

I remember saying I thought Tak McKinley would bust...he just didn't look like a high prospect to me. But we obviously could use some depth at DE, just not sure if this guys able to physically pass a physical.

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
well, I don't know anything about him, but anyone that can help this defense is welcomed in my eyes!

Browns is the Browns

C
Legend
Legend
C
The Texans waived Kenny Stills. He would be a nice fit for us but he probably won’t get to us on waivers.

All Pro
All Pro
He had a nice year last year, but has never been overly reliable in the hands department (especially for a slot guy). Then again, our WR room is Landry, Higgins, Hodge and DPJ at the moment.
It's not like anyone would miss Taywan if we wanted to get Stills.

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
Legend
Legend
Stills is a free agent after this season. It would be a $3.5 million rental for the last 7 games. Taywan's roster spot will likely be taken next year by a draft pick or an UDFA that can do double duty as PR or KR.

Browns is the Browns

B
Legend
Legend
B
And as has been mentioned, it's not like years past where we could pick up just about any cut we wanted because we usually had the top or at least one of the top waiver priorities.

I am not going to look it up, but we are probably around 17th on the list.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
And as has been mentioned, it's not like years past where we could pick up just about any cut we wanted because we usually had the top or at least one of the top waiver priorities.

I am not going to look it up, but we are probably around 17th on the list.

After the 3rd week of the season, the waiver wire order reflects the current standings in reverse order.... we are currently 24th.

Browns is the Browns

B
Legend
Legend
B
There you go.

If we turn in a waiver claim and actually get the guy, how good can he be?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
2nd String
OP Offline
2nd String

I hope we at least try this

Last edited by OrangeHelmet; 11/30/20 04:42 PM.
C
Legend
Legend
C

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: OrangeHelmet

I hope we at least try this

#gmSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
As to waiver position, weren't we in the 20s? If we actually were awarded the guy then there must not have been a lot of interest in him.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
The Texans waived Kenny Stills. He would be a nice fit for us but he probably won’t get to us on waivers.

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I don't think we need him, but it can't hurt if he improves the roster... the thing is, who does he take playing time away from this late in the season??

Probably nobody.

Browns is the Browns

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
As to waiver position, weren't we in the 20s? If we actually were awarded the guy then there must not have been a lot of interest in him.

Probably because not that many teams are down 3-4 safeties due to injuries, and also because ... Sendejo.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dave

Probably because not that many teams are down 3-4 safeties due to injuries, and also because ... Sendejo.

Sen de blows.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
Originally Posted By: Dave

Sen de blows.

Pendejo.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Sorry guys but I thought Sendejo played his best game Sunday ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend

Texans should pick him up......

#gmSTRONG
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum NFL released players

Link Copied to Clipboard