Print Thread
#1813103 11/02/20 02:40 PM
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
So this game was going to be won by the team who would run over the other. That team was suppose to be us cause they read the run stats and we are still up there. But our running game has not been dominant since Chubb got injured.

Also statistically (stats are for losers) our run D looks good on paper that is mostly cause our PASS D is horrible so teams just don't run much against us. Yesterday cause of the tremendous winds sleet/rain snow...don't know that word the stupid announcers were using. Spielman has really gone down hill he's too hollywood now. Anyways our Run D was terrible so we lost the game. And also it seemed one direction was much better than the other. Raiders took advantage of that direction and did all their scoring against it. Us it seemed we could not sustain a drive and we would drive against the wind to not have much success.

Refs: Why when we get face masked and our runner gets their head turned around by it...there is no flag. But if we touch the Raiders face mask...its a 15 yard penalty.

Why when we catch a ball and have hands on it but the ball touches the ground its called a TD and it gets reversed.

Then soon after the Raiders have a same exact situation the WR had two hands on the side of the ball and secured it with the ball touching the ground just like Landry did and it was rules a TD...can their bias get any worse? And not one hold on our pass rushers...yeah otay.

I saw Sendejo actually make two very good plays! That should have been a bad omen...lol laugh

I saw our rookie LT jump off sides on a hard count TWICE! rolleyes Ummm JW jr. the hard count is to pull them off sides not us....WAKE UP!

I saw Njoku drop an easy pass for 1st down. I mean if you don't want to play for us tell them to sit you down.

I saw our Rookie TE catch a ball and he was running forward for some YAC and he stumbled when he did so he dislodged the ball from his firm grip on his own and then when he got tackled the ball was not secured and it came out for a fumble. I believe that was the only turnover of the game.

I saw Garrett who was playing hurt come around the corner and smacked that ball and Carr must have 15 inch hands or something cause the ball didn't move one bit.

Our D btw without Garrett - Sucks... just sucks. We got to get more talent then just him. I mean Vernon makes a play here and there but he doesn't dominate. Yesterday playing against a bum at RT he seem OK but we need more consistent dominance from the other side. And the more the game went on we saw less and less of Garrett and he seemed about 50%.

We played too deep on coverage for a game where any long pass especially going towards the dawgpound was just not going to be completed.

Yesterday should have been a TE catching day and a running demo of our supposed prowess we just didn't have it. I didn't see one reverse yesterday...as The Raiders were attacking our running point of attack. We should have done more bootlegs and tell Baker to run if they were in man coverage...no thinking about it especially going towards the Dawgpound.

We were pretty close for a FG and I'm telling Parkay to aim for that right goal post. Forget the middle opening...just aim at that right post. He kicks it smack in the middle only to have it blow away missing left. I mean this isn't rocket science stuff.

I didn't like the lady announcer talking about the one flag on a pole put up by DAWSON and that was the true wind indicator out there. Good reporting but who told her that?

Our Defense is in trouble and I hope we can heal up especially Garrett for the 2nd half. I believe Chubb is coming back for our next game after the bye. That was the worst weather I think I ever saw at our home. I mean we had nice snow days but never that windy. Worst I can remember. Also how many times (even the announcers noticed it) We had the ball going the good way and the weather was at its worth. Wind blowing at the max gusts with sleet coming down. Then 3 minutes later the Raiders have the ball and the wind calms down what the HECK!

Freaking Paul Brown curse...thanks Modell flamingmad

lol laugh

Oh well what can you do. I believe we will have an above .500 record and possibly get into the playoffs. But we are far from a Championship team. Especially on the D side of the ball.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend

I saw a defense that looked far worse than one would expect giving up only 16 points and an offense that played better than a team that only scores 6 points.

I thought Baker played pretty well considering the conditions and his pass catchers let him down in a big way. Landry, Njoku, Hunt all had crucial drops that killed drives.

We would have a drive stall because of an offensive mistake, penalty or drop... then go sit down for half an hour while the Raiders ran 8+ minutes off the clock.

The defense was like watching somebody get tortured to death by 2000 paper cuts. If the Raiders needed 3, they got 4. If they needed 7, they got 8.. on 3rd and 18 we gave up a stupid dump off screen for 17 so they could go for it on 4th down and later score..... all day long. And to make it worst, many times we had them stopped short but through the shear will of wanting it more, they got the yardage they need with just effort. It was disappointing.

I think we have some talent on the DL other than Myles but there is absolutely nobody behind the DL that the offense cares about. Ward is pretty good in coverage but other than that, there is NOTHING to fear back there in terms of playmaking or hard hitting or any of it.

I saw a few pretty bad calls (or no-calls) but they aren't the reason we lost. Like the facemask on the sack by Ogunjobi.. the facemask was legit but our right side edge rusher got held all the way around the QB. Should have been offsetting, not 15 yards an an automatic first down.

End of the day, we played old Browns football yesterday. Did some good things but way too many stupid mistakes, drops, penalties, missed tackles, blown assignments to overcome.

The next 3 games are winnable, the 4th game is the Titans who just lost to the Bengals. No reason we shouldn't be at least 8-4, maybe 9-3 next time we play the Ravens.

Get healthy this week and get back at it.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:
We would have a drive stall because of an offensive mistake, penalty or drop... then go sit down for half an hour while the Raiders ran 8+ minutes off the clock.

The defense was like watching somebody get tortured to death by 2000 paper cuts. If the Raiders needed 3, they got 4. If they needed 7, they got 8.. on 3rd and 18 we gave up a stupid dump off screen for 17 so they could go for it on 4th down and later score..... all day long. And to make it worst, many times we had them stopped short but through the shear will of wanting it more, they got the yardage they need with just effort. It was disappointing.

This was the game in a nutshell.

It was like watching soooo many Browns games since '99. That old familiar mix of ennui and annoyance. I always try to keep in mind that this team is capable of insipid, uninspiring games on any given Sunday, but this one hurt because of the timing. 6-2 at the halfway point gives the team 'wiggle room' down the stretch. 5-3 means they must play much better ball entirely down the stretch.

Raiders were a 50/50 jump ball in my opinion. I was ready to absorb a loss, but the killer for me:

-was the way they lost.

They played the kind of football that always makes me feel like I wasted 3 hours of my precious dwindling life.

Oh, well.
Time to rest up, healthy up...

Better days ahead.
(sigh)

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend

It was that kind of game.

Going forward the coaching staff needs to work on ways to correct what has been clearly wrong with the defense.

Unless there are trades to improve personnel. The scheme needs to be adjusted. That and the technique used by players. That is all you can do.

Chubb games and games without Chubb show a difference in what this team can do on offense.

Odell is another piece. Teams play us differently when he is not there.

Offensively, we will need to now figure out how to attack differently.

When you look at the games we lost. And how those games were lost. You have to learn from that.

That will be of interest to see what adjustments the coaching staff makes coming out of the bye.

I guess I should be happy with 5-3. But I am not.

I don't like being beaten the way we lost.

It made us look like middleweights against heavyweights.

I can see what needs to happen but I don't know if it can happen?

What I do know is if we are unable to fix the problem we are limited in how the team will perform.

O
Legend
Legend
O
One thing the offense absolutely HAS to do for the D is put up points early. The 'terrible but opportunistic' flavor of D that we have can be serviceable if you can get the early lead (the bigger, the better) and then just sit back on your run game to chew up clock and let your D pin their ears back when they start getting antsy.

As bad as they are, they look far far worse when we're playing from behind and the opposing O has the whole playbook at their disposal.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Yo what’s up with juice’s hands the last few games? Trying too hard? Lack of concentration?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Swish
Yo what’s up with juice’s hands the last few games? Trying too hard? Lack of concentration?

Not use to the cold...different hands in the cold.???

thanks for the what I saw stuff. Pretty much black and white. Run D and Run O won/lost the game. Raiders controlled both ends against us. Better coached as they seemed to be all out intense and we were not.

I think we have lost for so long we are almost afraid to win!

We got to change this culture. Hope with stick with this staff and get continuity and believe in the program!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Some genuine insights here; it's obvious you grok the game's flow.

I hate the defense that can't take the ball away or get off the field. Especially upset about how many things work flawlessly against them. Part of this post is a thought I had looking back at the game. They talk about wins and losses against your man as well as the unit on the field; did you win or lose your individual wars?

Besides MG, I didn't see many wins, not nearly as many as I felt we should have. Not many, or nearly enough, stops on defense. Blitz pressure? Run stopping? LBs stuffing runs?
Just not feeling & seeing our wins, and it didn't matter much what they dialed up and tried on offense. This fan needs a break fro "same ol' ball." We need more individual intensity.
This record is better, but I agree with Berry that it is not something to brag about. poke

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
We can't fix what's wrong with our D now. We may get some injured players back but we need more talent at LB, SS and FS. This all has to be done in the offseason.

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 11/05/20 06:49 PM.
Legend
Legend
I agree. The only "fix" is to have some of them play harder. I agree it is off-season priority, and ideally I maintain, that like baseball, defense has to be strong up the middle. If we had to pick, are we worse off with our LB play or our safeties? I would be torn trying to parse who is weakest link playing worst.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Play harder yes but play smarter too. This is where our coaches come in. Different schemes, disguise what we are doing on D etc. We have to try something different. What we are doing now isn't working.

Legend
Legend
We have too much LOFT in our game; scheme cannot cover for this much LOFT.

Lack
Of
Freaking
Talent

If we had the talent that is currently sitting on IR or has been on the bench, the current scheme as-is would cover for the other deficiencies. As it is, however, we just have too much loft in too many areas.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I agree , but Woods knew he didn't have the talent to run a 4/2 .. Now I have admitted several time's about my dislike for that scheme ; so there's that too ..lol I look at Woods as a Wilks part two.

Legend
Legend
We had enough talent in the summer. Not to run it perfectly, but to run it.... and if it is the direction we are going, you have to start with it at some point. There is a fine line between crafting a scheme to fit what you have and telling your players to fit the scheme. There's a little Chicken & Egg going on, because you can't simply flip scheme every year based on who you have, there has to be something underlying it all, then *that* is what you are hopefully able to tweak to fit who you have.

Well, when our scheme is half predicated on a strong secondary and then we lose two of our top talents and are forced to play backups out of the gate, you're behind the 8-ball. He has to get his scheme implemented, but then he also lost some of the most important guys in that scheme AND we didn't have much to replace them with.

I'm not defending the choice of specific scheme and I don't know enough about it to like it or dislike it, but I do have to defend him having to actually make a choice knowing that it may not be optimal in Year 1.
You have to start somewhere. Apparently, that is NOT with guys from LSU, however.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Looking for the 2 part of this. We need some som skull crushers who can flatten the run. We are lousy at stopping anything to get our D off the field.

We may have had a plan, and it fell through long ago. Not seen any way that the leftovers can manage to salvage that original. Some of these guys are unfit for the scheme and just about inept at succeeding in NFL defense and its requisite skills. And we are proving that on a weekly basis IMO.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I really feel our LBs are killing this defense. Do any of them have a sack? We need a free safety in the worst way. Also, I see a big drop off in our Dline this year.

Most of all I saw a team just putting in the time. No fire in their belly, going thru the motions. It is as if when they win, they think it will automatically happen the next game. I'm not sure who is the leader in the locker room, but some of the veterans better step it up in the second half of this season. We are a young team learning a bad habit. To be a consistent winner, you got to want it.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Legend
Legend
Thank you for the handy new acronym thumbsup. That is accurate, Not to argue a lick, but I would give high marks to MG, Landry, Teller, and a couple more. Do you feel we have LOFT in that much of the roster? We are our record. Inescapable. But widespread underachievement in our losses can't be argued. Trying to figure it out why we seem to get outworked by other teams' ambitious players compared to ours. I am looking beyond and acknowledging injuries.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
Do you feel we have LOFT in that much of the roster?

Defensively, yes.
We have talent on the roster, but some is injured, some is injured and unproven, and some is underperforming.

The number of players we are getting consistent, reliable performance from is pretty much limited to Myles, Richardson, Mitchell, Ward. I think that's about it, and that leave a LOT of the field open on any given play.

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Obviously it's a combination of the FO providing the talent and Coaching using it.

As I have stated many times , I was not a fan of the Greedy or the Delpit selections .. The other DB's that were brought in ain't Blank. Up front , the guy we picked up from Cincy sitting didn't help either.

My problem has been with the middle of the field being totally exposed for two years straight. The DC has to realize that opposing OC's are gaming for our scheme.. No ?

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 6 Raiders 16 What I saw vs Raiders

Link Copied to Clipboard