Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: jacksondawg

Delpit will may be one of the most physically gifted fs in the league when if he gets healthy.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
thank you but considering his measurables are better than Hanford Dixon are best ever DB you can understand why I made that statement.

Legend
Legend
Is Greedy made out of glass? Can't beat the "Bust" debate on the bench. I had high hopes with him and Delpit available this year. Seems like all that has come to mean is next year will be better. We need some guys to play; I respect injuries, and hope they all return 100%. But show us results. The answer to the topic is that this disappointing defense certainly has upside for its next moves.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
1. His measurables WERE better at one point.

2. Measurables as compared to someone that played 30 years ago means pretty much nothing.

3. He blew out his Achilles. It is FAR from certain that he will be able to play well enough to be a starter on this team, much less have a lasting career. It is far more likely that he will - at a minimum - simply NOT be as good as he was. The only real question is to what degree his abilities are diminished.

Saying that he WILL be anything is nothing but optimism and has no real basis in his current state.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
I don't know... Greedy is an enigma.

Injured easily last year and then missing half the season this year with another injury from nowhere. It doesn't look good for him, that's for sure. Add in that he wasn't remotely as impressive as Ward was his rookie year and he struggled a bit and it isn't looking like the best selection we've ever made. It's probably way too early to label him a Bust, but we should definitely still be looking to add additional talent in the secondary to hedge our future.

The end result is that between him and Delpit, we have half our should-have-been-touted secondary unavailable. Those two guys with Ward SHOULD HAVE been formidable with a solid pass rush in front of them.

Instead, Pass Defense is probably the single biggest defects on this team.

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c Denzel Ward:

Rookie year... only played 8 games
second year only played 12 games

absolutely stud!!

Greddy Williams
Rookie year... played 12 games
sophmore year... missed 8 games (so far)

the next Courtney Brown?

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
Denzel is stud because he's been able to get on the field and stay there this year, but he was in the exact same shoes last year when he went out. It was absolutely a "here we go again".

The difference here is that Ward now has 18 games in a row of playing, and has played at a high level the entire time.

Greedy has only participated in 50% of the games during his career thus far and the current streak is one of missing games and is only two games shy of last year's streak of being able to play, and when he played, he wasn't up to Ward's level.

So, yeah, when you look at "what have you done for me lately", it isn't a good look for Greedy.

Browns is the Browns

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
to be fair, purple, Denzel was the #1 cb in the draft and picked in the top 5. Greedy was a mid 2nd round pick. I am not sure if any corners were picked ahead of him. So it would be rather surprising if greedy were performing at the same level. The injuries are a concern but hard to tell if it has been a fluke or it will be a chronic.

There has been a lot of talk on here about whether we should pick up baker’s option for year 5. We have to make the same call on Denzel and sign nick to an extension. Berry is going to earn his salary this offseason.

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
I thought Kirksay was the guy who got away!

We need bigger CBs...of course keep Ward put as much muscle as we can to save his body. Greedy could use around 20 lbs of muscle put on him. Currently he is 6'2" and 185. He would become a stud if he could manage to become 205 losing fat gaining muscle along with Speed. We got to keep drafting NUMBERS, mid-late rounds including UDFA's and get two-three to become good CBs. I always said you need 5 good WRs - Great hands and run great routes. Well guess what? You need 5 good CBs on the roster. Big fast and can tackle!

jmho

thanks for the discussion. Please leave any talk about the O on other threads.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
L
Legend
Legend
L
Okay.

Defense blows, Kirksey was a decent piece when healthy, which was almost never. Good guy, but I’d forgotten about him already.

save for Ward, our back end mostly sucks, We are lucky if we force a punt, for gawd’s sake.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Kirksey was definitely decent, but two years in a row of torn pecs at his salary was sustainable. We need his level of play as our minimum standard.

Browns is the Browns

All Pro
All Pro
Food for thought on our Defense this offseason:

Sheldon Richardson is going into his dreaded year 31. He is also on the last year of his contract and has already done the 1-year "rent-a-hulk" contracts that guys like Ndamunkong Sue now find themselves doing.

We all know that the 2021 cap will likely not exceed 180 million, so I doubt he would look forward to being released and try to sign a (likely) 8 million dollar 1-year deal (the same contract that Sue is signing year after year since his year 32).

Soooo...he's due 13.67 million in 2021. If released he would likely only be able to make "maybe" 23-24 million over the 2021-2023 league years.

Heck, if we kept him and paid him the 13.67, in 2022 he stills goes to rent-a-hulk status and makes, whet...15-16 million in total for 2022 and 2023?? That's still at best 29 million in 3 years for him.

Why don't we restructure his contract and add the 2 years? It would keep our best veteran DT on the team and save quite a bit of money.

3-years, 30 million (Richardson makes more than he would otherwise either way and gets to stay in one place)

2021 Cap: 9.5 Million (more than he'd likely get in this upcoming FA period and 4+ million less than his current cap hit for 2021) Win, win.
2022 Cap: 9.5 million (still more than he would likely pull in his year 32 as a rent-a-hulk and the 4.17 million saved in 2021 rolls over for Cleveland so this is closer to a 5 million dollar deal for the front office when it's all balanced).
2023 Cap 11 Million: Richardson's year 33. Even if he gets released, it is also the year the cap is expected to expand with thee new TV deals to some 248 million. Meaning he would be in a better spot to try to make money on his end and the Browns would be able to laugh off any 2-ish million in dead money. Bonus, if he is still playing solid, 11 or so million would actually be a cheap deal under the new 2023 cap.

Just saying

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
All Pro
All Pro
Further food for thought:

If Brees doesn't retire there is no way the Saints can keep Marshon Lattimore on his 5th year option (even if it is only 10 million).

The Browns come to their "rescue" and offer a 3rd, maybe? smile

Get him back to Ohio.

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
would recommend just drafting a replacement first there are some real studs in the draft.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I really hope we address our back 7 the same way we addressed the offensive line. Bring in one or two impact free agents. Let Harrison be the Hubbard type who is a great backup and decent rotational safety. I would like to get another good FA LB, but I feel like our FO and Woods both don't value that position. Prioritize the rest in the draft.

With the type of ball-control offense Stefanski runs, a hard nose defense is so very essential. Right now, we're caught in a weird dynamic because we have a high-powered rushing offense and a defense that gives up boku points. It doesn't seem like the two should co-exist, but hey, we've won five games so far.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
That all sounds factual, actual, and sensible to me, Purp. I have not seen the "should be's" out there flying around like I wanted to. Like you, I thought a pass rush from this front would be more forgiving and help the youngsters back there to make up for some of the margins of error that happen with the lack of experience. I do know that Greedy did not overly wow me, and didn't look overly eager to tackle in support.
I guess these CBs are pricey to be part-time roster. Get them healthy, drive them around for awhile. But I think maybe I am kicking some more tires in case this takes too long to make us viable and able to meet our needs. Our corners might help more if bigger.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
where did you pick up this " boku " ? And I thought it was buku ..lol

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Denzel is stud because he's been able to get on the field and stay there this year, but he was in the exact same shoes last year when he went out. It was absolutely a "here we go again".

The difference here is that Ward now has 18 games in a row of playing, and has played at a high level the entire time.

Greedy has only participated in 50% of the games during his career thus far and the current streak is one of missing games and is only two games shy of last year's streak of being able to play, and when he played, he wasn't up to Ward's level.

So, yeah, when you look at "what have you done for me lately", it isn't a good look for Greedy.

yeah, they are literally both just in the same boat at the same points in their careers.that's all I was saying.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Gosh, I think you're right...I think its my memories of those old juice boxes from grade school.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
where did you pick up this " boku " ? And I thought it was buku ..lol

its neither..lol, its booku

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend

The real question is what do we do now?

Off season Berry will address the defense.

Right now Wood has to deal with the current roster.

Against the Raiders the DL got blown off the line. Our linebackers failed to either pick the right gap to fill or could not shed the block.

Because of the Raider game film and expected weather Sunday. We should expect they will try to run at us.

Watson can extend plays and run the ball.

The players we have - are all we have. I don't know enough about guys like Tae Davis and Jacob Phillips.

What I do know is winning will be hard if we continue the pattern of not stopping the run. Not being able to get off the field on third downs.

Ward and Mitchell are doing their jobs. Kevin Johnson acting as a slot corner. I am not seeing him show up much in run support.

Harrison has proven to be a good add and is now the starter.

What appears to be missing is linebacker support. Taki was billed as run stuffer? Have not seen him do much. Wilson was hurt and has played poorly since returning. Goodson a one year band-aid has done little. Malcolm Smith is listed as Wilson's back-up. He seems like the only guy who has instincts.

I really don' know what Woods can do? He has to come up with something because the results have been clear.

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Other than going with a 5-2, I honestly have no idea.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/c

Watching TJ Carrie have a great game in the Colts D as they are beating the Titans makes me think you can improve without changing players.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I picked up the word in The Nam..lol .. booku dinky dow .. ( spelling )

Legend
Legend

Derived from:
beaucoup: many (It's French) smile

dien cai dau: crazy (Vietnamese)

Last edited by PrplPplEater; 11/13/20 01:21 AM.

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: myka
j/c

Watching TJ Carrie have a great game in the Colts D as they are beating the Titans makes me think you can improve without changing players.

Yeah, he did have a nice game.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

Derived from:
beaucoup: many (It's French) smile

dien cai dau: crazy (Vietnamese)

"Mercy Beaucoup" Heard it all the time by a basketball player from Aliquippa, PA back in college.

Last edited by TrooperDawg; 11/13/20 09:14 AM.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Larry Ogunjobi being used far more as a run-stuffer? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought he was more of a penetrator/rusher (if we have to categorize him)(?).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I would agree with you. He was always a penetrator, and one of my biggest knocks against him has been gap discipline. He often picks a gap and shoots it. Occasionally he is right, but a lot of times, he is disastrously wrong.

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Picks,or assigned?
If it is his assigned gap and he shoots it,that would be the definition of gap integrity.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
And you sir are right on.. ding , ding ..

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Picks. I think he gets overly aggressive and gambles.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Not disagreeing with you here just throwing this out there.

How much is scheme?

I personally would like to see a more attacking style of defense. Why?

I hate getting chewed up slowly, it eats my guts out. Man up outside with tight coverages and attack and pray you get there before they can get anything off. To me this beats the hell out of slow death.

Not saying I am right here, but we I think are playing the defense we want to without the ability to execute the plan. Even so if you believe in just 4 guys applying pressure you have to cover long enough for them to get there? Some of it is how offenses play today picks are legal now when in the past they were called. In man coverage situation a pick can be devastating.

Also a well executed offensive play is nearly impossible to stop. The best I think is to hit the QB enough that he starts seeing ghosts (pressure that may not be there). That's when any defense is at it's best. This defense is horrible, no nice way to say it.

I also understand the value of NOT tipping off a style of play until it matters more than say a regular season game does. Football is about strategy and counter moves and adjustments, we all get that. Sometimes you keep things under wraps for critical moments?

I have seen on a very few occasions this defense go to a more attacking style with mixed results.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
V
Legend
Legend
V
FWIW......we blitzed on the majority of snaps in the second Bengal game and Burrow exploited that and tore us up. Early on, we did not blitz much, but then we went crazy w/it.

Legend
Legend

Myles is a amazing talent but it can not be all him.

There are ways to neutralize a single player. You won't stop him but you can work around him.

Richardson is solid. Vernon and Larry are ok but not exceptional in any way.

We are not getting the production from the linebacker unit. Not in run support or in coverage.

There is no magic. Guys have to play better.

What we really need is a three down all pro level MIKE. A real talent that can crash the line and play from sideline to sideline, In addition be able to drop and cover in zone.

We don't have that player. So, the unit needs to play better.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Bone I agree we may not have that player just yet but again maybe we have that player in the making. I believe Jacob Phillips can be that type of player with maturity and more experience. That description you mentioned sounded a lot like his draft report. It's too bad he has been injured but when he's played he looked good.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I agree we have to do something different on D. Our coaches may feel we don't have the personnel to be an attacking d I don't know but we can't continue doing what we have been it's not working. The Raiders game was a slow death. We couldn't get off the field and because of it our O only had the ball 6 times. We held them to 16 points. It's a game we could have easily won.

Legend
Legend

Of the three loses the Raider game was the most frustrating.

We did not make the plays that were there to be made on offense. And the defense got pushed around.

Yes, that game was winnable.

Phillips? I know that he was a guy that there was high hopes for. However, one he is a rookie and two he has not played because of injury.

Maybe he will develop? I don't know but I don't expect much from him this year.

Wilson was supposed to be a contributor this year. It has not happened. I don't know if he is working himself back to condition from his injury?

But he has graded out at the bottom of his position group.

I am not under the impression that football in general is complicated. These guys are coached. I mean down to minutiae. Eye in the sky doesn't lie. It is a matter of getting it done.

Great football players know how to play. They prepare endlessly. You have to win individual battles. You have to have instincts for plays as it happens.

At least we are "in it." So many years come Thanksgiving you are already looking at the draft for saviors.

I don't know how this year will go? All I know is what you want to see happen from the players on the team.

Will it happen? All I can do is cheer for them.

Legend
Legend
I guess we agree down the line. This game can demonstrate what got fixed or at least improved over bye week. Do some things differently on D! We have not been effective, and couldn't get off the field as they pushed the ball down the field last game. If you are not winning individual wars, change up, fail in new ways. I do not see improvement overall. More should be questioned if a different answer or solution is required. Part of the fix has been left on the sidelines. Frustrating to watch bad ball, and I am taking into account the players who are not dominating, but They should be getting better at something. Not yet. If nothing else, use the games for practice on some new directions. We need a win Sunday.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Defense...Where do we go from here?

Link Copied to Clipboard