Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
You noticed that too. Crazy people think sorta alike I guess.

And no it didn't work, but nothing else did either.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Give me a Mike and someone who lays the wood and watch this defense go to the next level.

For the record I love Richardson, he plays hard and is all over the field. I think he is a difference maker, then again I am not looking for DT's to get great pressure, just keep the LB clean and don't get pushed around. But Richardson by and large is one of our best (IMO) defenders, hustle, hustle, hustle. I respect the hell out of his game.

Oh and we could make a hell of a lot of improvement if we were a better tackling team. Go belt buckle to below the knees constantly. The high hitters miss to many tackles. Go low. Stop trying to blow people up and take the easiest way to get them on the ground. That isn't talent IMO either it's technique.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You and I are on the same page. it all starts with scheme or defensive philosophy if you will.. Talk to DAVE about how to build a baseball Team , and he will tell you up the middle first .. I FEEL THE SAME WAY ABOUT FOOTBALL.

Have stated many times on my pick of Malik Harrison in the draft. Thought hr was a plug and watch grow kinda Middle LB .. Didn't want Delpit at safety .. beat up last and this running a 4/2..

Legend
Legend

Technique is important and that is what coaches harp on.

It was refreshing to listen to the Teller press conference. Really humble hard working guy. Coaches love players like him because he is "coachable." He knows where improvement is needed. Yet here is a guy who has graded out as the best guard this year. Going into this year RG was a ?

Well that question has been answered.

So yes players can improve technique. Technique wins more individual battles than strength.

Honestly, I am really trying like hell to enjoy this year. For years all I wanted for Christmas was to be in the playoff hunt. To be relevant when it mattered most.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:
Honestly, I am really trying like hell to enjoy this year. For years all I wanted for Christmas was to be in the playoff hunt. To be relevant when it mattered most.

A slow and steady assent with no expectations that it's going to take 5 minutes to fix.

Of all the seasons this is also the 1st I remember where fans weren't constantly rallying around the idea we need to fire everyone. Things are settling down, the focus is on getting better and winning their is a steady hand guiding the team and it shows.

We are getting there, we knew we were likely to need more pieces before any of this began we knew, and for the 1st time I remember fans are being laid back and enjoying the changes and the feeling of a steady assent.

We aren't there yet, and I expect set backs followed by at least some frustration but I think everyone gets the feeling that our best days are ahead.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
You might have those 2 guys with Delpit and Phillips. I'm not saying we do but the potential is there if Delpit recovers from his injury and Phillips realizes his full potential. The talent is there.

Legend
Legend

I agree. Listening to the players over this bye week has been interesting.

Apparently the coaches really broke down the first eight games. Then they gave the players important areas that needed improvement. What worked. What didn't. The changes the staff are going to make going forward.

The overall vibe has been noteworthy.

KS seems to earning the trust of the players. That will go a long ways over the next eight games and next year.

Players want to win. Players want to get better and prove themselves to the coaches. When coaches can communicate to the players how they can improve; they listen if they believe in the coaches.

Woods I don't know about?

KS, Van Pelt, and Callahan have done a damn good job.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I am not defending or prosecuting Woods, but you can't not notice he has a lack of talent to work with, nor can you miss the lack of even minor improvement.

He is indeed a huge ? at this point.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone
I am not defending or prosecuting Woods, but you can't not notice he has a lack of talent to work with, nor can you miss the lack of even minor improvement.

He is indeed a huge ? at this point.

I've been saying this for three weeks now.

2 punts in 3 games cannot be explained by lack of talent alone.

Legend
Legend

Just for grins I looked at a mock draft to see if there were any linebacker prospects in the 20's.

At 21 Walter Football had Miami taking linebacker Micah Parsons from Penn State.

I watched this highlight reel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pALaLOjXZ1U

Pretty impressive. In what I call a "monster Mike" I look for size and speed. A guy with great instincts. Want to see him shed blockers. Want acceleration to the runner both in the gaps and to the sidelines.

Explosive closing speed. And a sure tackler not necessarily the big hitter but a guy who does not miss.

Has to be a three down player. So, he has to be able to drop into coverage. Read well. Anticipate throwing lanes. On occasion be able man cover a tight end.

A great linebacker period.

Just a first look at Micah Parsons but he looks impressive.

Legend
Legend
Parsons is a freak. He has some character issues and red flags, but he’s a definite target for a LB needy team

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
"Merci" beaucoup perhaps?

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend

First time even looking at a draft board.

So lots of time and who knows when we pick or if Parsons is there.

We need a standout on that level in the middle. If we are going to have a lot of looks with two LB's one has to be a real stud.

Either we find a proven free agent or strike gold in the draft.

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: dawglover05
Picks. I think he gets overly aggressive and gambles.

What I do know is if you "PENETRATE" the A Gaps you will disrupt any run between the tackles. This was the plan displayed by the Steelers. Attack the A gaps and secure the outside. Works well if a team passes the ball also.

I would like to see us attack the A gaps more. 1 by Larry the other by a LB.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Parsons is a freak. He has some character issues and red flags, but he’s a definite target for a LB needy team

That would be us wouldn't it grin

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

All Pro
All Pro
I don't see Parsons getting out of the top 12, off-ball LB or not. It would take at least a 4th round pick to move up to get him depending on where we end up. JMO.

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
Legend
Legend

Way to early right?

Never saw the guy before yesterday looking on Walter Football that he went 21 to Miami.

So I have no idea at all about the draft. Just the need and who might be there.

I would also look at DT. Then in the end take BPA.

Totally open at this stage. Lot can happen before the draft.

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Those guys cost high draft picks.

I counted 10 attributes on you want list, I think you’re going to have to be satisfied with 5-6, in this draft/FA.

Legend
Legend
Interesting side note: Emmanuel Ogbah is only 1.5 sacks behind Myles Garrett and 1.0 behind TJ Watt and Aaron Donald.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
That is an eye opener. Just never thought Ogbah was keeping company in that group. MG still leads the way, and is earning an elite reputation.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Interesting side note: Emmanuel Ogbah is only 1.5 sacks behind Myles Garrett and 1.0 behind TJ Watt and Aaron Donald.

But when you have Miles Garrett on your team it's overlooked

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend

Lots of time to fill up off season.

Right now trying to savor where we are.

R
Legend
Legend
R

I think he had 5 or 6 in one game a couple of weeks ago. Kind of a freak game kind of thing.

You can't discount how Flores has his team playing though either.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

I think he had 5 or 6 in one game a couple of weeks ago. Kind of a freak game kind of thing.

You can't discount how Flores has his team playing though either.

Sorry that's not accurate. He's just been slowly stacking them like Myles.

Ogbah was yet another victim of team instability and turnover.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
#notarealfootballplayer

Legend
Legend
Yup.
He was one of the guys let go by Dorsey in Hue's last year here, wasn't he?

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Just checked. The most he's had in a game this year is 2. Also found out his nickname is The Nigerian Nightmare.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
L
Legend
Legend
L
i live in florida and they LOVE ogbah here..as much as Cleveland loves Myles.. he's the one that got away for sure. Now we sit here looking for exactly him to be opposite myles and we had him

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Delpit might have other issues to deal with....so might the Browns- allegations he taped a girl having sex as LSU without her consent. I sure hope our background guys dig deep for this kind of stuff before we use high draft pick on them. Hoped we learned from Johnny "Money fingers"...there is more to just playing ball. I'm positive Coach S wants to know if any of the allegations are true....maybe he never plays a down for Browns!!! Hope it's all baloney, but story sure sounded like LSU takes care of its athletes like FSU. Go Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
All Pro
All Pro
Don't forget about the Phillips rape allegation.

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I can't believe that guys in college, especially jocks, could do such a thing!!! rolleyes

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 11/17/20 07:31 PM.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Can't believe it either, was your daughter involved. Hope not, high character guys doing right thing on our team these days according to Head Coach and GM, wonder what they're thinking now....GO Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E

Talking about the one who got away...egads did we blow that one willynilly The curse of REGIME CHANGE.
They seem to always do away with the previous regimes contributions...smh

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

O
Legend
Legend
O
Curse of the regime change indeed. Ogbah was looking very 'meh' when we let him go. I think it's more a victim of scheme change (via regime change) than just regime change. Ogbah netted us Eric Murray... who we let walk either this offseason or last. Who wouldn't kill for an Eric Murray right about now?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
or an Emmanuel Ogbah.

All Pro
All Pro
Can't fault the team too much on Ogbah.

He was only a rotational player for the Chiefs s last year as well and they let him walk. Good for him that he is doing well, but the NFL only allows QB's (sometimes) to take more than 3 years to develop. It is what it is.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I would not commit homicide for another dlineman. A serviceable FS, though....

-PrplPplEater
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Originally Posted By: RedBaron
I don't see Parsons getting out of the top 12, off-ball LB or not. It would take at least a 4th round pick to move up to get him depending on where we end up. JMO.

I think Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, out of Notre Dame is looking more realistic for us. I always see Parsons projected going top 10.

And then there are the edge rushers. Gregory Rousseau, out of Miami (FL) and Joseph Ossai, out of Texas. But I see these guys projected all over the place. Just too early.

All Pro
All Pro
I've been kinda digging Patrick Jones II's motor as an edge guy. But he's definitely a day 2 prospect.

Non off the edge guys seem to have actually developed their pass-rush moves this year. It's annoying.

Then again, we may have to get a CB really early, so...

Legend
Legend
Browns options for replacing injured CB Denzel Ward

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/lists/browns-options-for-replacing-injured-cb-denzel-ward/

Already down one projected starting cornerback for the entire 2020 season, the Cleveland Browns must now scramble to replace the other starter. And with Denzel Ward now out for at least a couple of games, the Browns find themselves in need of filling a chasmic hole without its top player in the secondary.

Ward is not only the Browns best cover man and playmaker at cornerback, he’s one of the best in the entire NFL. Replacing him will not be simple. The Browns do have some options borne out of necessity, however.

Here are some ideas for how the Browns can replace Ward at the outside CB spot opposite Terrance Mitchell for a few weeks.

Kevin Johnson

Johnson will certainly play a primary role in replacing Ward. The question is, where?

The veteran has been the Browns’ primary slot/nickel corner all season. He hasn’t exactly been great, surrendering 20 completions on 25 targets and allowing a QB Rating against of 96.3, per Pro Football Focus.

However, Johnson is at his best playing inside. Keeping him in the slot would allow one less moving part in the mechanics of the secondary, one that struggles to work well together even when Ward is playing his Pro Bowl best outside. Johnson is the best slot option on the team and probably should stay there.

Tavierre Thomas

Thomas was the proverbial “next man up” earlier this season when Johnson was out or slowed with injuries. Like Johnson, Thomas played almost exclusively in the slot.

The best way to lay out the case for, or rather against, Thomas playing more is that he hasn’t played a single snap on defense since Week 4. He was consistently a step late in coverage and doesn’t have the fluid athleticism needed to hang with most receivers inside. PFF pegged Thomas for giving up 19 receptions on 22 targets and a QB Rating allowed of 112.1.

Playing outside could be a better option. Thomas is physical and one of the best tacklers on the team.

M.J. Stewart

Stewart has barely played for the Browns this year, his first in Cleveland. He’s logged just four snaps over three games since a rough outing against Dallas in Week 4, when he gave up two easy completions and missed a tackle.

He too has primarily been a slot corner. If the choice is to play Johnson outside, Stewart in the slot becomes a more likely option. Stewart just doesn’t have the speed or acceleration to hang with the faster options on the outside.

A.J. Green

The prized member of the Browns’ undrafted rookie class of 2020, Green has yet to make a dent in Cleveland. He’s been on the practice squad all year, seeing exactly one snap when elevated to play in Week 3.

Green should be at least in line for an elevation this week. At 6-1 with lanky arms, he’s the longest CB on the roster. If the Browns are looking to get him some game action to see what they’ve got in the rookie from Oklahoma State, Jacksonville is about as optimal of a place to make a more substantial debut as possible. In college and during the Senior Bowl week, Green was at his best in tight press-man, which isn’t something the Browns do a lot

Robert Jackson

Jackson has yet to play a defensive rep in 2020 and saw the field for just one snap in 2019 on defense. The hirsute corner makes his living on special teams.

Jackson has size and some hitting ability that are more in line with a safety than a cornerback. In fact, he played safety in high school and college before transitioning to outside cornerback at the end of his UNLV career. Jackson struggled in the 2019 preseason with holding and grabbing.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Defense...Where do we go from here?

Link Copied to Clipboard