Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Legend
Legend
The CFP is a TV show. TV shows need ratings. Putting OSU in helps ratings, especially if there's controversy in how they got in. Therefore, they'll get in.

...and they should, they're the better team, they beat the Hoosiers and they'd better represent the conference on that stage.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

that's a bummer... that'd be a great game to see...

<><

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Punishing a team because their opponent can't (or chooses not to) play is rather dumb.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
Looks like OSU will play NW in the final

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

Even of OSU played Michigan and lost, they would have still won the East.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
tHeY cAnT cHaNgE tHe RuLeS!&$#%

Legend
Legend

It was the right thing to do. Even Michigan's AD thought so.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg

I still wish they could have figured out a game this weekend... feels a bit hallow...

<><

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P

that's the way it should be OSU is Unbeaten and they beat the 2nd place team ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Quote:
Which rule...and changing rules mid game is rinky dink.

Everybody knew the rules going in. You don't change rules to benefit one player.

If OSU gets in the title game, who is that kicking out?

Buckeye hate is kind of showing there, lol. The rule was hastily written this year so teams couldn't use COVID to avoid difficult games and cakewalk into the championship game. That's clearly not the case here. The team that would go in OSU's place would be Indiana...who OSU beat.

It really isn't Buckeye hate.

It's simply a matter of ethics.

Everybody in the conference ok'd the deal, written in haste or not.

Everybody knew the rules going in to this deal. Now all of a sudden they are looking at changing the rules for, IMO, the money. Plain and simple.

The Big Ten is already somewhat tarnished because it is in reality the Big 1 conference. Since the BCS started, OSU has won the championship 2 times, and are the only team out of the Big 10 to do so.

The SEC has won it 12 times, with 5 different teams doing so.

Tell me, do you root for one of those teams?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

No doubt.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: jaybird
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg

I still wish they could have figured out a game this weekend... feels a bit hallow...

I heard on the radio this morning that the Big Ten's original plan was to have OSU play Maryland this weekend. That was one of the OSU games that was cancelled. Maryland is scheduled to play Rutgers this week, and the Big Ten was going to have Rutgers and Maryland then play the following week, on Big Ten championship weekend. This way OSU would have the 6 games.

But then they decided to just drop the 6th game rule. The only requirement was that OSU needed to play a game. Win or lose they were going to win the East.

Rules have been changing thruoghout this mess.

Last edited by CapCity Dawg; 12/11/20 04:30 PM.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Now all we have to do is hope that the selection committee thinks that a team who only won five regular season games is worthy of the #4 ranking to qualify in the college playoffs. On a personal level I would have a hard time with that one.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Now all we have to do is hope that the selection committee thinks that a team who only won five regular season games is worthy of the #4 ranking to qualify in the college playoffs. On a personal level I would have a hard time with that one.

It is suppose to be the best 4 teams in the Nation I believe OSU is one of those ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
P
Legend
Legend
P
And you may be right. The question becomes does the selection committee believe you can come to that conclusion based on five regular season games and a win against Northwestern who is ranked 14th.

As an OSU fan for as long as I can remember, I certainly hope so. I just find it to be a legitimate concern.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
7-3 NW .. OSU is down players and the defense looks horrendous

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Watching OSU playoff chances go down the toilet. Fields is playing like the second half vs Indiana.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I sure don't like our chances, the way we're playing. How many guys do we have out today?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Thankfully Sermon and the OL came to play ... Fields and the passing game were quite bad

Legend
Legend
I guess we want Notre Dame to win?

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend

if they are out for the semifinal we have no chance... Clemson looks like a contender..

<><

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I know Fields has the thumb to deal with but....

I'm very concerned about him, it seems like all of a sudden he has confidence issues. It just seems very out of character for him to pat the ball and hold it forever before making a decision. He looks like he's scared to make a mistake to me. I hope he gets this figured out if the committee decides to put us in.

T
Legend
Legend
T
What was the score of the Ole Miss vs Texas A&M game??

It was cancelled?? OH! So, Texas A&M didn't finish their schedule of games EITHER!

Two weeks off in a row in Nov. and Another week "off" in dec.

So, Texas A&M really has no argument for playing more games, because CoVid Cancelled some of their games, at least the Ole Miss, game, also!

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Quote:
Which rule...and changing rules mid game is rinky dink.

Everybody knew the rules going in. You don't change rules to benefit one player.

If OSU gets in the title game, who is that kicking out?

Buckeye hate is kind of showing there, lol. The rule was hastily written this year so teams couldn't use COVID to avoid difficult games and cakewalk into the championship game. That's clearly not the case here. The team that would go in OSU's place would be Indiana...who OSU beat.

It really isn't Buckeye hate.

It's simply a matter of ethics.

Everybody in the conference ok'd the deal, written in haste or not.

Everybody knew the rules going in to this deal. Now all of a sudden they are looking at changing the rules for, IMO, the money. Plain and simple.

The Big Ten is already somewhat tarnished because it is in reality the Big 1 conference. Since the BCS started, OSU has won the championship 2 times, and are the only team out of the Big 10 to do so.

The SEC has won it 12 times, with 5 different teams doing so.

And you answer, no doubt.

I'll take it from your little picture symbol signature that it's the Gators you root for.

Well if you root for "1" team, stop making a case for 12 of them, or 10 or whatever the heck is in that conf.

A Conference, can't win a championship, it takes an individual team to win one. So stop trying to glaum on to success from any one of a group of 12 and pick one team to root for.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
GC.
Just found out, Cincinnati's schedule was changed for covid issues also.

And another place I found the ACC changed their schedule effecting Notre Dame and Clemson.

So Basically a majority, (I didn't look at Alabama), but
a majority of the clubs involved in the conversation,

Texas A$M
Clemson and Notre Dame,
Cincinnati
Ohio State and all the Big 10 teams,

All had their scheules altered because of Covid 19, yet people want to make the argument that
Only Ohio State should have a "punishment" for not playing enough,

when , Convienently 2 facts are true.

Ohio State Won all the games they played. and
nobody played an unaltered schedule, (except I'm not sure about Alabama)

So for anybody arguing for TExas A&M

Ohio State 6-0, undefeated Big 10 Champions, who played in a conference title game and won it, can have 3 yes or no questions.

1. Did Texas A&M win more than 100% of their games in winning percentage, Yes or NO?

2. Did Texas A&M win only 100% of their games in winning percentage, Yes or NO!

3. Did Texas A&M win LESS THAN 100% of their games in winning percentage, YES or no?

and then again,
after all the other sides argument, question #4.

Did Texas A&M play all of their games? NO! the Ole Miss game was cancelled.

And why was the Ole Miss game cancelled? Covid
and Why did Ohio State play 6 instead of 8, 9, or 11? Covid

Both the same answer^.
So,
Undefeated, or One loss team?

Settled?

T
Legend
Legend
T
The College football Comittee, should have been given the option, starting last year, to decide on a college football playoff including either
2 teams,
4 teams, or
6 teams, depending on circumstances.

This is an example of a year where only a 2 team, one game playoff should be played.
Clemson, and Alabama of course.

Last edited by THROW LONG; 12/20/20 11:19 AM.

Legend
Legend
Fields was easily my biggest disappointment yesterday. We seemed to have some silly play-calling in the first half. He made some marginal calls worse. His priority was to hit the shortest route late; the pass was a glorified softball lob (bad enough!) and he missed the receiver. The pick was crazy wrong.
I admit to being spoiled; he has been electric and exiting. Not yesterday. He is hurt, and thank the Pigskin Gods for our Sermon! Incredible. But the defense too over that game in the second half. Might be confidence issue, might be injury. Figure it out. Because now we are in the hard-edged part of the year that has no interest in snappy explanations, just wins, baby! Let's get a few more of those. fingerscrossed

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

It's Official: Ohio State against Clemson (again) in CFB Playoff

Big Ten champion Ohio State will be back in the College Football Playoff for the second year in a row and the Buckeyes will be up against a familiar opponent.

One day after defeating Northwestern 22-10 in the Big Ten championship game to get to 6-0 on the pandemic-shortened season, Ohio State was installed as the No. 3 team in the final CFB Playoff rankings. OSU will face No. 2 seed and ACC champion Clemson (10-1) in the Sugar Bowl semifinal game on Friday, Jan. 1. That game will likely kick off at 8:30 p.m. Eastern time.

The other semifinal will pit No. 1 seed and SEC champion Alabama (11-0) against No. 4 seed Notre Dame (10-1) in the Rose Bowl.

The Rose Bowl has been moved this year from Pasadena, Calif., due to California’s Covid-19 protocols precluding the players’ families from attending the game. It has been moved to AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, instead.

The CFB Playoff national championship game will be played Mon., Jan. 11, in Miami. All three of the playoff games will be carried by ESPN and its array of networks.

This is a familiar opponent for Ohio State. The teams have met in bowl games three times in the last eight years, including a pair of CFB Playoff semifinal games. Clemson defeated Ohio State 31-0 in the 2016 Fiesta Bowl and then pulled out a dramatic 29-23 win in last year’s Fiesta Bowl.

Many of the same characters will be involved in the rematch with Dabo Swinney the Clemson coach and Trevor Lawrence the Tigers’ quarterback. Ryan Day has led OSU to two playoff berths in as many seasons as the Buckeyes’ head coach, while Justin Fields is in his second season as the OSU quarterback.

The main debate going into today’s selection show was whether Texas A&M (8-1) or Big 12 champion Oklahoma (8-2) deserved consideration for the last playoff spot.

This will be Ohio State’s fourth appearance in the seven years of the CFB Playoff. The Buckeyes won the first-ever playoff national championship in 2014 with wins over Alabama (42-35) and Oregon (42-20) before the two semifinal losses to Clemson.

In the 120-year history of Ohio State football, Clemson boasts the best record against the Buckeyes of any opponent. Clemson is 4-0 against OSU with Florida State next at 3-0. Besides the two CFB Playoff wins, Clemson also defeated Ohio State 17-15 in the 1978 Gator Bowl and also took a 40-35 win over the Buckeyes in the 2014 Orange Bowl.

OSU’s loss to Clemson in the 2016 Fiesta Bowl turned into a blowout. The Buckeyes managed just 215 yards total offense and had three turnovers. Clemson quarterback Deshaun Watson threw for 259 yards and one touchdown and also rushed for 57 yards and two scores.

The loss last year went down as one of OSU’s most bitter defeats. The Buckeyes were victimized by several bad breaks, including having an apparent defensive touchdown reversed after a replay review. Fields, who threw for 320 yards and a touchdown, had the Buckeyes in position for a game-winning touchdown in the final minute. But he and receiver Chris Olave were not on the same page. Olave cut outside and Fields’ pass went to the middle and was intercepted by Clemson’s Nolan Turner with 37 seconds left to end it.

Lawrence was the game MVP as he threw for 259 yards and two touchdowns and also rushed for 107 yards, including an uncharacteristic 67-yard touchdown.

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-state...game-157451312/

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Neither Dabo nor Nick Saban had Ohio State in the top four in their final Coaches Poll ballots.

Swinney had the Buckeyes at No. 11

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
#11 is a reach but I can easily see why they wouldn't have ranked the Buckeyes in the top four.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Well, Dabo has certainly given us plenty of bulletin board material.

Below Coastal Carolina? That's just pure hate.

Legend
Legend
As a coach, I wouldn’t like doing those polls. I know they don’t mean much, but I think not much could good from them from my perspective

Legend
Legend
This year's Heisman Trophy finalists:

Alabama QB Mac Jones
Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence
Alabama WR DeVonta Smith
Florida QB Kyle Trask

#gmSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Bulletin board fodder.....

From Bucknuts.....

Clemson's Dabo Swinney doubles down on ranking Ohio State 11th
ByGARRETT STEPIEN

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney made headlines when he assigned Ohio State a No. 11 ranking in his ballot for the USA Today Coaches Poll this past Monday. In a clip of an interview with ESPN's Tom Rinaldi that aired Saturday evening on College Football Scoreboard, Swinney explained the reasoning behind the ranking.

"You've been clear on this point throughout, Dabo, about the number of games as a metric has to matter — maybe as much as ever — given how difficult the grind has been this season," Rinaldi said. "So you ranked Ohio State 11th and it creates a huge reaction. All right, how would you characterize the reaction to that ranking? Why Ohio State 11th?"

"Yeah, overreaction," Swinney said. "First of all, my vote don't mean anything. But it means something to me, you know? It's my poll. I do it. It creates a stir because we just so happen to be playing Ohio State. It has nothing to do with Ohio State — absolutely zero. You can change the name to Michigan or Georgia or Florida or Tennessee or Nebraska. Anytime you have a top-10 (ranking), it should be that special. This year it's like really, really, really special and I wanted it to be that way. And so, I wanted to recognize the teams that played nine games or more. And so, if you didn't play nine games, I just didn't consider you from the top 10. That's why they were 11.

"Obviously, they're a great team. They're plenty good enough and talented enough to beat us and good enough to win the national championship. But in my opinion, I don't think that it's right that three teams have to play 13 games to win it all and one team has to play eight. What universe am I living in? And it has nothing to with them. It was about qualifying. And I didn't think they were qualified, based on the number of games, versus all these other teams that ... in my opinion — Texas A&M, Florida, Oklahoma, Cincinnati — they got punished for playing more games."

Clemson won 29-23 over Ohio State in the Dec. 28, 2019, CFB Playoff semifinal matchup. The Tigers previously beat the Buckeyes by a 31-0 shutout Dec. 31, 2016, a first CFB Playoff matchup between both sides. Swinney also owns a 40-35 victory against Ohio State from the Jan. 3, 2014, Orange Bowl.

No. 2 Clemson (10-1) and No. 3 Ohio State (6-0) have a chance to settle the dispute in next Friday's College Football Playoff semifinal game. The Sugar Bowl is set for an 8 p.m. ET kickoff on ESPN at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans.

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

Legend
Legend
Dabo is one annoying [censored]. His "difficult grind" was a cakewalk thru 10 weeks of basically practice squad competition. Playing a couple more of those games than somebody else doesn't mean squat.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Dabo is one annoying [censored]. His "difficult grind" was a cakewalk thru 10 weeks of basically practice squad competition. Playing a couple more of those games than somebody else doesn't mean squat.

I agree with him. As it stands, losses are more important than wins.

Plus...you really want to talk about cupcake schedules?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:
I agree with him. As it stands, losses are more important than wins.

That is exactly my point. The Buckeyes have zero losses.

Quote:
Plus...you really want to talk about cupcake schedules?

Yes I do. I don't see how playing 3 more games against MAC level opponents makes you more qualified.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
S
Legend
Legend
S
fLorIdA sHoUlD bE iN tHe PlAyOfF!

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Thee Ohio State Football Thread

Link Copied to Clipboard