oobernoober #1827021 12/15/20 02:30 AM
S
All Pro
All Pro
S
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
I saw Garrett open up huge lanes for Lamar, but didn't notice Vernon.

2 sacks and a pass defense c
I meant regarding allowing Lamar to run (the post I replied to... should've quoted it).

The whole thing was a disaster on defense. The defense played better when Garrett was out. I know that sounds insane, but it is true. When Garrett is in, I think Woods feels like he needs to be creative and call all sorts of exotic blitzes and it gets us in trouble. Both Garrett and Vernon are probably just doing what they are supposed to do, but the results are horrible against running quarterbacks and strong rushing attacks.

We should have came into this game with a similar approach to what worked last week against Tennessee. Five men on the line, each maintaining their gap. If you force Jackson to throw to the outside from the pocket, he is less effective.

Go watch the last touchdown pass by Jackson. They send Joseph on a safety blitz, which forces Vernon to have to run out to try to cover the back coming out of the flat. These crossing paths ends up creating a pick on our own DBs which alows Marquis Brown to get wide open. Did the blitz accomplish anything? no, Joseph runs right into the line, gets pushed into the middle of the field and Lamar is able to cleanly leave the pocket. If he hadnt thrown the ball for a touchdown, he probably could have run for 15 yards.

It is so frustrating to watch this defense. The Ravens are not that good of an offense. Their biggest games were both against our defense.

Swish #1827022 12/15/20 02:31 AM
T
Legend
Legend
T
Would be nice to think somebody could block LJ Fort!

mid first, broadcast says, they may have to put somebody to spy lamar jacson as a runner.

You mean they didn't commit to this 4 years ago?

Best thing about that game is it is Over!

Did they learn from the circumstances that lead to the pick 6.

Browns run defense after Lamar runs for 46 yards,

Next play is a 19 yd run td?
Gassed or just needed a time out?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Swish #1827023 12/15/20 02:32 AM
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Although I feel we will lose to the Steelers and either the giants or jets and miss the playoffs, I hope stefanski realizes now that we need to depend on the running game more. Especially with 25mph winds. After airing it successfully against the titans in decent weather he for some reason felt he could come back to Cleveland and air it out tonight in that wind against one of the best secondary in football.

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
Swish #1827024 12/15/20 02:36 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I agree and disagree. The Ravens have a good offense. Jackson is special and requires a special approach. Containing him in the pocket is easier said than done. Limiting him to only outside throws is easier said than done.

The Browns do not have the players to contain Jackson and he is far more of a threat than Tannehill

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

slick #1827025 12/15/20 02:37 AM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: slick
Although I feel we will lose to the Steelers and either the giants or jets and miss the playoffs, I hope stefanski realizes now that we need to depend on the running game more. Especially with 25mph winds. After airing it successfully against the titans in decent weather he for some reason felt he could come back to Cleveland and air it out tonight in that wind against one of the best secondary in football.

We scored 42. How anyone can criticize Stefanski and/or the offense is beyond me.

WooferDawg #1827026 12/15/20 02:39 AM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg
I agree and disagree. The Ravens have a good offense. Jackson is special and requires a special approach. Containing him in the pocket is easier said than done. Limiting him to only outside throws is easier said than done.

The Browns do not have the players to contain Jackson and he is far more of a threat than Tannehill

We don't have the linebackers or safeties to contain a player like Lamar Jackson.

Swish #1827027 12/15/20 02:43 AM
T
Legend
Legend
T
The Safety on the final play was a real downer.

I think the Ravens win 11, and go deeper in the playoffs than the Browns, as soon as you see Lamar on one side, and the ra- defense on the other side

At least it seems everybody knew how important the game was,

Browns must win final 3 games to clinch a berth.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
cfrs15 #1827028 12/15/20 02:45 AM
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

We scored 42. How anyone can criticize Stefanski and/or the offense is beyond me.

Quoted for truth. The offense did not lose this game.

#gmstrong
cfrs15 #1827030 12/15/20 02:59 AM
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S

Because we should not have had to score that many. The ravens could not stop our run game even when loading the box. Because of that we could have easily scored many more point in the first 2 quarters forcing Lamar to beat us with his arm instead of legs

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
slick #1827031 12/15/20 03:01 AM
C
Legend
Legend
C

Because we should not have had to score that many. The ravens could not stop our run game even when loading the box. Because of that we could have easily scored many more point in the first 2 quarters forcing Lamar to beat us with his arm instead of legs

cfrs15 #1827032 12/15/20 03:07 AM
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S

This coming from the guy who tried to convince me drew brees retired 30 years ago. Whatever.

slick #1827033 12/15/20 03:12 AM
C
Legend
Legend
C

cfrs15 #1827035 12/15/20 03:28 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: chirp30
Where is the safety we claimed off waivers from Kansas City?

Inactive.

I think he had to be inactive because of covid protocols when switching teams

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
THROW LONG #1827036 12/15/20 03:41 AM
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG

Wrong. We win the next 2 we in.

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
Swish #1827037 12/15/20 04:28 AM
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
cody makes 3 and extra point we win..out weak link is him

I`m good with Baker... Playoffs is good enough for me.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Deepsouthdawg

Wrong. We win the next 2 we in.
Almost, but 1% chance they're still out. 11-5 Browns,... out,

Ravens, Colts, Titans, Dolphins, Bills Steelers, Chiefs, in, if
the Ravens win out, steelers win 1, Titans and colts win out, KC already in, and Bills win 1, dolphins win out.

But I meant to say.
Browns can still knock the Ravens out of the playoffs if the Browns win all 3! thumbsup

Win all 3, 12-4 gets them in. thumbsup

(worst case scenario starts with Colts and Titans both winning 12, but: if the Browns also win 12, no worries.)

THROW LONG #1827041 12/15/20 04:35 AM
T
Legend
Legend
T
A team can only win 1 at a time anyway.

They are all win or go home from here on out.

Swish #1827042 12/15/20 04:59 AM
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Lamar won the game, simple has that, he is a winner.

Stefansky miss managed the end of the half and ended up costing us, although I think Lamar would win the game no matter what.

Regarding Baker... love how he plays when he has a chip on his shoulder, hate when he just stands and looks he does not know what to do and his decisions take too much time. Great end of the game for him, he gave us an opportunity to win and that is what you need from a QB.

The Defense... Lamar is special, if you want to win against Baltimore you can't have a close game.

My overall feeling is that Stefansky blunder in the end of the half ended up costing us the game, that was just stupid game management when you have Lamar on the other side.

Bakers decision making on the grounding was atrocious also, he just had to take the sack and let the clock run, the Int was also ugly, but in the end he made up for it, and more. Good 2 games, but he and Stefansky must make sure his performances are more consistent.

Landry was amazing in the second half

Last edited by rastanplan; 12/15/20 05:07 AM.
rastanplan #1827043 12/15/20 05:13 AM
T
Legend
Legend
T
gc.On To the Giants!

Article: Daniel Jones and the offense need to score more points, yada yada yad...

part of the article.
" The only team to score fewer points than the Giants on the season are the 0-13 Jets." wink

THROW LONG #1827044 12/15/20 05:45 AM
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
gc.On To the Giants!

Article: Daniel Jones and the offense need to score more points, yada yada yad...

part of the article.
" The only team to score fewer points than the Giants on the season are the 0-13 Jets." wink

Giants are also only giving up 101 yards of rushing a game. With wills and teller having injuries to thier ankles this could be a tough game. For what it is worth. The espn matchup predictor has this game almost at 50/50. Giving the browns a slight edge with a 51% chance to win.

slick #1827046 12/15/20 06:13 AM
T
Legend
Legend
T
Hopefully the Browns can get Ward or Hooper back to be a part of the active roster..

The Ravens have a talented roster but the Giants also have a talented roster. A quick look at their off. depth chart, ... I tried.

The Browns need to respect the Giants may look just an eeensie, tiny bit less of a star studded roster than the ravens, but that doesn't mean they aren't going to reach out and bite you in the backside if you let up.

Giants have made 26 of 27 Fgs on the year, that is about 2 per game,

They have Dion Lewis, and Wayne Gallman at RB,
and Daniel Jones, and Colt McCoy at QB,

Some tough outs at Wr,

They have Jabrill Peppers on defense, and I hated to see him go,
They have Jabaal Sheard on defense, and I hated to see him go.

Swish #1827047 12/15/20 06:17 AM
Legend
Legend
Our offense was superb. Baker and Stefanski are really in-tune and improving each week.

Our defense is trash. LBs and Safeties are among the worst in the NFL ... probably the worst. It kills us.

There were so many “coulda” or “shoulda” moments for both teams that it probably evened out.

They have Justin Tucker and we don’t. That’s a big difference.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Swish #1827048 12/15/20 07:11 AM
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Tough loss. Could've clinched a playoff spot and eliminated the Ravens tonight. Now Browns must beat both N.Y. teams to make playoffs. Browns need to forget this game and get ready to beat the Giants and they better not lose to a winless Jets team!

If you score 42 points you should win the freaking game! Lamar is good but defense was pathetic! The defense and FG/PAT kicker cost us the game.

This sounds strange but we actually scored too quickly near the end of the game. We should have used more time. Gave Lamar and their offense way too much time.

Also, they way our defense was playing should've gone for two instead of kicking to tie the game and playing for OT. We couldn't stop Lamar the whole freaking game. What made Stefanski think his defense could stop Lamar in overtime?

I really hope this loss doesn't cost Browns the playoffs! It shouldn't.

Swish #1827049 12/15/20 07:27 AM
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
This doesn't have anything to do with how the Browns played or the outcome of the game but the announcers were just as pathetic as our defense. Felt like I was watching a Ravens home television broadcast. Steve Levey was practically gleeful every time Lamar made a play or the Ravens scored.

Louis Riddick said something like the Ravens are going face more explosive teams than the Browns. So according to him the Browns are not an explosive team? Really?

Yea I know Lamar is great and league MVP but Levey saying here comes superman when Lamar was leaving the locker room after what they said was leg cramps, and Riddick trying to sing the Superman theme, was a bit much.

Just had to get that off my chest.

rastanplan #1827050 12/15/20 07:40 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
There's no mismanagement at the end of the half for the Browns. I don't understand why I keep seeing this. It's more like poor execution by the offense.

We aren't even remotely in that game without Baker. The last time someone scored 40 on the Ravens was when we did it last year.

Poor defense. Especially on the Marquis Brown TD.

This shouldn't hurt our playoff chances and we don't need to win out. In fact, 1 more win should do it for us. A lot of things need to happen for us to miss the playoffs. We won't.

Honestly, this was a great game. Whomever had the ball last was going to win. I knew when Hunt scored we were done. Shouldn't be that way but we couldn't stop Lamar and they have the best kicker in the history of the game.

Dawg Citizen #1827051 12/15/20 07:55 AM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS...

..and this defense just isn't good enough, yet!

As Citizen said, the offense puts up 42 pts and the Browns still lose the game?...that should not happen!

The defensive coaching staff...are they up to the task?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #1827052 12/15/20 08:33 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: mac
DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS...

..and this defense just isn't good enough, yet!

As Citizen said, the offense puts up 42 pts and the Browns still lose the game?...that should not happen!

I don't know, but I do know we need to add a few players to that side of the ball to get a good read.
Beyond the defensive front, which isn't all that good, we aren't even close to average at LB or backfield.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Swish #1827053 12/15/20 08:33 AM
Legend
Legend

This was tough to swallow.

In the end they have a great field goal kicker and we do not. In a game like this you may not be expected to kick a 55 yard field goal. Tucker can make that kick.

But Parkey needs to make anything 40 yards and under. You can miss extra points.

On defense my pre-game post. on the matchup was protect the middle of the field. We did not.

Not much you can do with a player like Lamar. Especially when he decides I am running this game. To hell with what happens to me. He is so hard to corner and so difficult to tackle. We actually played good defense. We just don't have a player to stop Lamar.

On offense we scored 42 points and left 4 points on the field. Hard to fault that.

Baker played well but the int. hurt bad. Bad mistake that really hurt. But to his credit he came back and we were in position to win. If Lamar doesn't come back into the game we win.

We just could not stop him when it counted most.
====================================================

We will recover from this. The Browns are a good team.

Our offense is a tough ticket to handle for any team.

We are just a few players short on defense. We are missing key players in the defensive backfield. And a player short at linebacker. Ward and Harrison will make a difference.
====================================================

Short week turn the page. Back to 1-0. Take care of business Sunday.

I am dented by the loss. But I believe in this team.

I think we can do damage the rest of the way. Once again I am proud of this team.

bonefish #1827054 12/15/20 08:37 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:
I am dented by the loss.

Add that one to the 400 others and you have to be looking pretty rough! tongue

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
mac #1827055 12/15/20 08:44 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: mac

I know Woods isn't working with the highest and deepest level of talent, but I think there's more accountability for him to have than what some others are holding him to.

First, I know the field wasn't ideal. A lot of guys were flat footed trying to keep their feet beneath them.

Having said that, the defense as a whole were taking bad angles all night long.

1st half we had what, 4 sacks? I know Lamar was struggling with footing but in each of those sacks the DTs were staying home and the DEs weren't over penetrating. Vernon put up some nice stats, but play after play he kept rushing Lamar as if he had a LB or DB who was going to fill the wide open lane he left in his wake.

We had the game plan to stop/slow Lamar. We saw some evidence of it. The DEF just wasn't disciplined enough to keep with it.

Offensively... I know Nick and Kareem had some rushing TDs, but I think you have to consider this a game where Baker put the team on his shoulders. I know it was a bit choppy for him early on, but his performance that closed a 14pt gap... I know everyone else could feel that moment when the Browns are either going to stay in the game or let it get away from them. Baker kept right at it, and to its credit, the defense did get us a couple stops so we could get right back in it.

Stefanski... I did think we allowed ourselves to get a little 1 dimensional more than we needed to and clock management for the final 2:00 could have been better, but he called a pretty good and gutsy game overall. Going for the 2 pt conversion was risky but it did put us in position to win the game sans Tuckers FG.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Swish #1827056 12/15/20 08:47 AM
Legend
Legend
One guy that let us down early on was Higgins. I’m glad he settled down in the 2nd half

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
We do not trade OBJ until week 6 to see if Baker is better with him or if he regressed with OBJ.

I’m interested in seeing the wr we got from Detroit. He can blow the top off coverage.

Dawgs4Life #1827058 12/15/20 08:50 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
One guy that let us down early on was Higgins. I’m glad he settled down in the 2nd half

Agreed. DPJ also looked like he was in for a letdown early but he ended up coming through down the stretch.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Swish #1827060 12/15/20 08:57 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Morning after thoughts....

The best game plan to defend against a player like Jackson is to keep the ball out of his hands. We did a lot of good things last night but one thing that was not good was running the ball to choke out the clock the way we have in the past. I don’t know why we didn’t run more on 1st & 2nd down of that last drive. I really like Stephanski but I put that one on him. It seems like a no-brainer. They’re out of timeouts and we win with just 2 or 3 more plays.

Our defense is slow. Not as soft as seasons past but slow LB’s and most of the secondary. We have some good pieces but we know exactly what needs to get upgraded this off-season. and the eye is towards speed. I kept wondering why we didn’t employ a spy like player for Jackson but I couldn’t think of anyone appropriate that has the wheels.

We’ll still probably lose but I like our chances much better now against Pittsburgh. I do think our offense can hang with anyone. The defense is our very obvious Achilles. If we had a half decent LB core and top tier safety and we’re clearly in the top 5-6 teams in the league.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
devicedawg #1827061 12/15/20 08:57 AM
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: devicedawg

This shouldn't hurt our playoff chances and we don't need to win out. In fact, 1 more win should do it for us. A lot of things need to happen for us to miss the playoffs. We won't.

I love reading your stuff but that paragraph is complete craziness. Do the math.

The Jaguars aren't beating anybody, the chargers aren't beating anybody, the Texans aren't beating anybody, the Bengals aren't beating anybody.

fact it's very easy for the Browns to miss the playoffs,
I see very little realistic way they get in with 1 more win at 10-6, it's not October, the circumstances have changed. (none of the other teams are stopping at 10 wins and taking a break to miss the opportunity to knock you out and take your spot)(if both the titans and colts finish a game better, then one will take your spot if you beat them or not)
(after last night, the ravens now take your spot when they win 3 and finish equal to you if you win 2, if the Browns' had won this would not happen)
(last nights game means Browns must now win all final 3 to clinch a playoff spot without help from another teams loss, one at a time beat NYG)

At 11-5 the Browns need help from one of three teams,
at 10-6 the Browns would need a miracle
9-7? multiple miracles and Einstein to do the math.

Have to assume the Titans, Colts, Dolphins, Ravens, Bills and Raiders are going to continue feasting on bad teams and Nobody is going to start going on a losing streak.
Browns still aren't in, until they're in.

12-4 gets them in without a doubt, but the Ravens game really hurt their chances, in a game of musical chairs it gave a chair away.

Still very reasonable, but hope not, that Browns don't get in, especially if they go 1-2 in the final 3.

Browns can't clinch without help unless they win all 3.
There are specific rules for ties at nfl.com.

Swish #1827062 12/15/20 09:03 AM
Legend
Legend
Looking at scenarios, if we win both NY games we should be in. If we don’t then we’ll be out.

The Giants game now becomes our season.

Swish #1827064 12/15/20 09:09 AM
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
GratefulDawg #1827065 12/15/20 09:11 AM
Legend
Legend
That OPI was a big play and set them up to score ... and double us up. Of course our defense obliged

Swish #1827067 12/15/20 09:19 AM
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Man guys, I woke up feeling better about this team more than ever.

Guys, that was the MVP of the league we went up against. Y’all can say whatever about the defense, but how many better defenses has lamar faced that he did the same exact thing to?

Plenty. At the end of the day, our team proved that we can compete in any situation. Whether it’s a shoutout or an old school defensive slobberknocker on the elements.

And more importantly, whatever doubt fans had left about baker being the future got put to rest. He IS the man here in cleveland. Yea, we didn’t get the W, but let’s stop acting like it was a massacre. Bake went toe to toe with one of the better teams in the league, never mind the division. Like it or not, this is what we SHOULD expect for the next 10 years against division rivals: games that come down to the wire.

We just gotta get healthy on the back end, and seriously consider drafting the best LB remaining in the board, if one isn’t available in FA.

I know we hate moral victories and all that, but I’ll take a team that’s 9-4 losing a close game to a division rival over the trash we’ve had the last 10+ years any day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

Go browns, go mayfield!!!

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Dawgs4Life #1827068 12/15/20 09:22 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
What a great game even though we lost!

-Defense is bad. Need to add pieces in LB and secondary this offseason. Hopefully Ward will be back soon and Harrison as well (long shot).

- Baker had a phenomenal game. Good to see him continue to flourish in Stefanski's offense.

- Higgins is playing like our best WR at the moment.

- Njoku is our best TE.

- Vernon showed up and earned some credit even with the Lamar field slippage.

- I agree with the person that said we need to add some quickness in the LB core to keep an eye on Lamar. But that goes for Burrow as well as he is no slouch with the legs either. Both are going to be around for awhile.

- This is a playoff team, offensively. Defense will probably cost us in 2020.

Tackles are tackles.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 42 Ravens 47 Post Game

Link Copied to Clipboard