Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1830306 12/23/20 10:12 AM
T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
Think it slightly helps, mentally that they won last week, and got their proverbial Christmas present out of the way 5 days early instead of 4 days later.

I think their offense is more of a threat than the Giants' were last week.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Their offense shouldn’t be 1-13 ... Darnold is sufficient, Crowder, Perriman, Herndon are viable.

Quinnen Williams is a scary DL too.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
This essentially is a playoff game for us. So was last week. we obviously need to win and hope we get some help because I doubt we will beat Pittsburgh.

Legend
Legend
Ralph Vacchiano
@RVacchianoSNY
· 3m
Jets DT Quinnen Williams is done for the year.

He has a neck injury to go with his concussion, so he is being placed on injured reserve.

HUGE

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Quote:
because I doubt we will beat Pittsburgh.

Is this mentality just lingering battered fan syndrome or is it the "big brother/little brother" philosophy that no matter how much bigger the little brother gets he can never beat the big brother? Because I'm confused.

In the last 3 weeks, the Steelers have lost to the:

6-8 Washington Football Team
11-3 Buffalo Bills
3-10-1 Cincinnati Bengals

and nobody will be surprised if they lose to the 10-4 Indianapolis Colts...

So yes, I'm confused why people are assuming that the 10-4 Cleveland Browns will just roll over and count that as a loss...

yebat' Putin
M
Legend
Legend
M
I do not understand it either. The Steelers defense is riddled with injuries. The receivers can't catch. The running game has been terrible and Roethlisberger can't throw the ball more than 7 yards. He was 1-13 in passing on throws 10+ yards against the Bengals.

I would actually be more shocked if the Browns actually lost to the Steelers.

Legend
Legend
Sorry for Williams but good for us. No idea how serious it is but rushing anybody back to finish out this season would just be silly.

The Jets defense isn't very good.. better against the run than the pass, but with Williams out, probably not very good against either.

The offense needs to just keep doing what they do. Run the ball, stay in good down/distance situations, use the play action.. and there is no reason we can't matriculate the ball down the field consistently and score points.

Keep the intensity up, avoid mistakes by the offense, get a mediocre game out of the defense... and we should win this by 2 scores.

Now go execute.

yebat' Putin
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
okay your points are well taken. I make comments like that because until we beat the Steelers when it really matters, like on January 3rd, I won't believe we can do it. If we do then I will start coming around to that belief. Basically it's enough with talk, show everyone you can do it!!

O
All Pro
All Pro
O
With Williams out, I'm hoping this is a game where we can get up big early and use Hunt to salt the game away in the 2nd half.

Rest up Chubb for Pittsburgh and the playoffs, and get Hunt about 150 rushing yards so they can both get 1000 next week against Pittsburgh!

Last edited by OrangeCrush; 12/23/20 01:39 PM.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
okay your points are well taken. I make comments like that because until we beat the Steelers when it really matters, like on January 3rd, I won't believe we can do it. If we do then I will start coming around to that belief. Basically it's enough with talk, show everyone you can do it!!

Oh I get it... I actually do put a little belief in both of the theories I put out there.. yours seems to be of the battered fan syndrome side, which is understandable.. the "Until I see it, I have trouble believing it" out of the Browns.

I also understand the second, as a little brother myself, I can attest that it's real.

But I think this is the year for exercising demons.. we had one real close against the Ravens.. but winning season, double digit win season, beat the Steelers, playoffs... maybe beat the Steelers again.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
I’ve been in spots where I’m both the “big brother” and the “little brother” ... and it’s definitely real. It’s a huge hurdle to overcome (or to lose hold of) ... let’s hope we can!

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
DC I know I sound negative and really don't like to be that way. But I've been a fan since 1967 and have seen an awful lot most of it bad bordering on unbelievable. We've played 20 playoff games since 1967 and lost 14 of them some in crazy and bazaar ways that everyone still talks about. They talk about The Drive, The Fumble and Red Right 88 but those aren't the only heart breaking playoff losses. We lost 2 playoff games to Miami we could have won and one we should have in 1986. We lost that playoff game to the Steelers in January 2003 that we led the whole game until we choked at the end. Not to mention how we lost some crazy regular season games. Yes, with me it's battered fan syndrome. Wins in the next 2 games can start me on the way to recovery thumbsup

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 12/23/20 01:56 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We win, Raiders win we are in. At least thats what I heard

Joe Thomas #73
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Great. I'll take it. I want us to make the playoffs as much as any Browns fan. I hope I see a Super Bowl win before I die.

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Awesome. I'm beginning to have a crush on Stafanski. He is a real leader. Not rah-rah. Just has "it". He's getting it through engagement, co-operation, a belief in a principle of the team. People want to follow him, believe him. That's all you need. With belief you can do great things.

I want us to beat Pitt next week. More than anything. But first. 1-0.

Last edited by drobs; 12/23/20 02:45 PM.
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I hope they just run the ball down their throats all game. Want to see both backs inch closer to the 1000 yard mark. don't give Darnold a chance to do anything.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
I'm also just really thrilled I'm not deep into analysing next year's draft class by New Year. I thank KS, the team and any God you pray to for that too.

Legend
Legend
DC I know I sound negative and really don't like to be that way. But I've been a fan since 1967 and have seen an awful lot most of it bad bordering on unbelievable. We've played 20 playoff games since 1967 and lost 14 of them some in crazy and bazaar ways that everyone still talks about. They talk about The Drive, The Fumble and Red Right 88 but those aren't the only heart breaking playoff losses. We lost 2 playoff games to Miami we could have won and one we should have in 1986. We lost that playoff game to the Steelers in January 2003 that we led the whole game until we choked at the end. Not to mention how we lost some crazy regular season games. Yes, with me it's battered fan syndrome. Wins in the next 2 games can start me on the way to recovery thumbsup

You have me by a few years but not many. I remember every one of those playoff games you mentioned. I remember being the Steelers speed bump in the 70s..

And if there is a group rate on this recovery plan, sign me up. You aren't the only one that needs it.

Probably the most uncomfortable and anxious I've been all year was leading Tennessee 38-7 at halftime. My mind just circled around "How embarrassing is it going to be if we lose this?"... and it darn near happened.

so while I'm generally pretty positive around here, I churn on the inside waiting for us to grasp defeat in some dramatic fashion, just like many others.

yebat' Putin
All Pro
All Pro
This essentially is a playoff game for us. So was last week. we obviously need to win and hope we get some help because I doubt we will beat Pittsburgh.

Every game is a playoff game when the season is meaningful in December. Isn't that just the greatest thing ever? They should beat the Jets. Doesn't mean they won't lay an egg like Pittsburgh but on paper this game should be a win.

I won't even comment on the stupid bet I made on the last game of the season.

"Let people think this is a dumpster fire," - Mike Pettine
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
I look through the Jets roster and I do not see them beating the Browns. I do not see a position where they have the advantage. Maybe there best linebacker, I think it is Neville Hewitt, is better than our best but that is about it. Maye is pretty good as well.

Last edited by vadawgfan07; 12/23/20 03:31 PM.
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
I did like Maye coming out - he's a baller.

Legend
Legend
Perriman will want to get a highlight or two, but I think that both Ward and Mitchell can shut him down readily enough.

I don't know what else they have besides him.

Did anyone see their last game? How the heck did they win? Looking at the stat line, it doesn't appear that there were many turnovers... actually, I think they each had one. Was it simply a case where one team got points off the turnover and the other didn't, maybe??

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
It's hard to find anything about their team in a quick search online except they were upset to lose the ensured spot of the #1 overall draft pick.

Perine is a player, Crowder too, Their Rb is the real deal, Don't let their Rb beat you.

Browns need to take them seriously, and not make this close,
and,

If they are that bad, the real challenge will be coming back to reality and having to face
a full on AFC North good team in the steelers the next week, after 2 weeks of overmatched teams.

Don't sleep on their recievers,

If Darnold does play, you're going to get his best game!

Anyone think Darnold doesn't want to show up how the Browns didn't select him #1 overall after all the pre draft talk that year.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
We should approach this game like it's a playoff game which it basically is. I doubt the Jets will lay down for us. They didn't for the Rams.

T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
I saw the Bet, for the Browns to miss the playoffs was +1080.

Since I think the Browns are going to miss, frown
what would a $100. bet get me?
I don't bet on sports.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Payout
US$ 1,180.00

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
I agree, we should not take them lightly and after all the years of disappointment, I do not think we will fall into a trap game.

Their receivers are decent and Gore is a solid player. I just don't think they have the guys on defense to defend the Browns, particularly in the 4th quarter.

I think the way the betting goes is that if the odds are +1080 to miss the playoffs that should they miss you would win $1080 with a hundred dollar bet while if the odds were say -1080 then you would have to bet $1080 dollars to win $100.But I may be totally wrong on that.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Perriman will want to get a highlight or two, but I think that both Ward and Mitchell can shut him down readily enough.

I don't know what else they have besides him.

Did anyone see their last game? How the heck did they win? Looking at the stat line, it doesn't appear that there were many turnovers... actually, I think they each had one. Was it simply a case where one team got points off the turnover and the other didn't, maybe??

Sam Darnold played a very good game as did Frank Gore.

Other, Jared Goff had a classic stinker. It wasn't so much the Jets doing either, just inaccurate and a bad performance by Goff.

With the way Baker has been playing, there really should not be any problems scoring. Their offense is akin to the Giants, no big plays but they can move the ball.

Bend, don't break defense and efficient red zone play should win the Browns this game fairly easy.

you had a good run Hank.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
I do not understand it either. The Steelers defense is riddled with injuries. The receivers can't catch. The running game has been terrible and Roethlisberger can't throw the ball more than 7 yards. He was 1-13 in passing on throws 10+ yards against the Bengals.

I would actually be more shocked if the Browns actually lost to the Steelers.

Dear Santa - PIT loses out, and we host them for the 1st round of the playoffs. After going 11-0 they drop 6 in a row, the last two to us.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Ralph Vacchiano
@RVacchianoSNY
· 3m
Jets DT Quinnen Williams is done for the year.

He has a neck injury to go with his concussion, so he is being placed on injured reserve.

HUGE

Seems like he twisted his neck looking at the new draft order after they won against the Rams.

Legend
Legend
The Pad Your Stats Bowl, I hope. We could break some in this one. Feeling good vs. Darno;d! naughtydevil

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Ideally, we get a comfortable enough lead that by the 3rd or 4th quarter we can start working on some things to use against Pittsburgh and also give them some extra things to prepare for.

Browns is the Browns

L
Legend
Legend
L
We should just keep running the damn ball and let Baker do his thing in play action.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
I’ve watched the Jets a few times. When they have Darnold they aren’t terrible (they were missing him for a bit). Crowder is a real threat ... and Perriman can hurt you with big plays as we know.

Their defense is NOT good handling TE’s, which works in our benefit. And without Williams, that will help our rush O.

2nd String
2nd String

If Cincinnati can beat Pittsburgh then I wouldn't rule out us beating them as well. We are a much better team than we were during the first game, and they look to be a little worse since then too.

The Constitution shall never be construe to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. – Samuel Adams
T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Payout
US$ 1,180.00

Oh so would 100 individual 1 dollar bets really be a winfall, just curious. (they wouldn't take them from the same person? got it.) There is one of the reasons, I don't bet on sports.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Southwestdawg
and they look to be a little worse since then too.

They are without Bud Dupree and Devin Bush for the rest of the year. That significantly hurts their defense. In fact, looking at their depth chart, I don't even know who their ILB's are... Spillane and Vince Willliams? Are those BOTH backups in the middle of a 3-4?? I assume that the rookie Highsmith is Dupree's backup... so, 75% of the linebackers starting for them are backups?

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend

2020 version of "12 Days of a Cleveland Browns Christmas" based off of the song from 1980

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

Great wish.

Oh Please Santa, pretty Please!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 16 Jets 23 Week 16. The Jets matchup!

Link Copied to Clipboard