Print Thread
#1829506 12/21/20 08:00 AM
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
I saw the Giants make some long drives on us only to have us stop them in their tracts. twice on 4th and goal we just stopped them cold.

Richardson is so so good I hope he is ok, looked like he was walking off the field ok.

Harris did a good job actually to be honest I think he was better than what Hubbard would have given us.

I did see Njoku and remembered his nice seam route and catch around 25 yards down field.

I also saw Njoku wide open at the beginning of the goal line and Mayfield I guess not having the trust in Njoku to make the catch so he his ONE A DIME a sure handed Landry at the back of the End Zone for the TD. Great throw and great catch by Landry.

I saw a good defense that was playing to take the run away and for the most part did so. But Thank goodness I saw Mayfield accurate like none other who threw at least two balls away and missing on around 5 passes??? But he had a great game AGAIN.

I can't stress the fact that he had 3 games in terrible throwing conditions and we trusted the run game.

I thought Goodson at Mike had one of his best games as a Brown. He was right there to stop the run throughout the game. Excellent job.

Also Joseph had a good game again.

I also liked watching Ward play the football game the way a Great Corner should.

I saw us go prevent in that 4th quarter again. I hat that prevent O and D

I thought Colt played well and didn't make many mistakes the way Jones would have.

What did you all see.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Saw a very composed BM who went about his business and had some muy decent throws. Thought he had a solid outing.

I was impressed with Colt's game; he did a solid job. I respect the workman there.

We had some defense last night! Still gave up a lot of ground, but clamped down on the points. So, Woods had a better night, or at least more respectable. Ward helped IMO.

We scored the ball! Loved some casual drives that devoured time.

I really appreciated the Lack of Linen. Not much in the way of flags.

I need to admit in a public confession that I have not yet managed to adjust to refs in ponytails, blonde or otherwise. Trying to get there, but not there yet. nanner brownie rofl

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Very good read. Can't disagree with much.

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
Legend
Legend

What I saw was a big grin on my face as I looked in the mirror this morning.

We have all waited a long to time to get here.

This game showed me the Brown's have arrived. This is a good football team.

Our offense is so dialed in. We present so many options defenses can not sit on any one thing. I have stated this for weeks that it all begins with our offensive line.

Hubbard went down early and Harris stepped right in and did the job. Baker has grown confident in the pocket. It has taken till now to get there. He is dealing from the pocket. Not bailing out to the right. Stepping up in the pocket and trusting the protection. It has allowed him to see the field better. He is going through progressions and throwing darts.

The offense right now can kill you many ways. Crowd the line we pass. Drop back we will run it down your throat.

The Giants have a strong front especially inside. They shut down the inside run game. OK. We threw on them. They had no answer.

Ward makes a big difference. Really a top notch corner.
It was obvious we had better play in the secondary.
The Giants were worried about our pass rush and got the ball out fast. So getting sacks was not the game. OV played very well. Set the edge. Keep them inside. We closed them down.

One thing that the game showed was how fast a game can go when you control the ball. Both teams ate clock. Our possessions where long drives. You do that against teams like KC. They can be beaten.

Hats off to Kevin Stefanski. He has the pulse of this team. He really does. He keeps them sharp. They play with focus.
Coach decision. Mack Wilson was a healthy scratch. Clearly because he had his head somewhere else last week.

If you fail to do your job because of mental errors. You will be held accountable.

We are playing the way you want to play Now. We have gotten here because we have improved weekly. Again great coaching.

I super proud of this Cleveland Brown's team.

We have a team that can win right now. I am ready.

Legend
Legend
Baker said that (On the TD to Jarvis) that he saw Njoku stumble a bit, so he immediately went to Jarvis.

When I looked at the play, in the highlights, that is what happened. I didn't see it live, but Baker did.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Agree with many of these comments -

What is also worth highlighting ... Stefanski and the team did all this and executed the game plan to perfection - 6 days after a brutally emotional loss in the dying seconds of a Monday night game. I don't think anyone should overlook how many of the Browns teams in years past would have come out and been flat, shot themselves in the foot and lost a game like this.

Progress in so many areas of the team. And not to be unkind - but thank you Freddie. Not sure what influence you had on the way the first 3 drives ended - but it seemed very Freddie-esque.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
That has been something that has impressed me all year. In 4 losses, 2 of them in embarrassing fashion, the Browns have always come out and played pretty well the next week. We haven't let a setback snowball into something bigger. This team is maturing into a team that can do great things.

What I saw was a team struggle against the run early but get it fixed.

An offense that everybody is gearing up to stop the run and Baker is making them pay for that.

An OL lose a back-up to the starter and have to go to a guy who hasn't taken a single snap and not miss a beat.

A secondary that looks a lot better with Ward on the field.

In general, I saw us beat a team we should beat, in non-dramatic, workmanlike fashion. Other than getting a little ticked that they were gouging us on the ground in the first half, it's about as calmly as I've sat and watched a game in a long time... and those were probably calm because we were getting trounced.

yebat' Putin
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

An OL lose a back-up to the starter and have to go to a guy who hasn't taken a single snap and not miss a beat.

A secondary that looks a lot better with Ward on the field.

Can't say enough good thinks about Callahan and the job he has done. Can't say enough good things about how literally amazing Harris came in and played. Can't understate the impact Ward has on the secondary. . . . when we get Harrison back we'll be that much better again. If Delphit ever plays - it'll be a huge deal too assuming he's anywhere close to the player he was in college.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Can't say enough good thinks about Callahan and the job he has done. Can't say enough good things about how literally amazing Harris came in and played.

For many years I (we) marvelled at how teams like the Steelers would have an injury or have a lower draft pick and just plug them in and they would be pretty good and folks were in awe of their drafting.. turns out, if you have a solid, cohesive unit, that is performing at a high level, you can do that.

yebat' Putin
R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:
Can't say enough good thinks about Callahan and the job he has done. Can't say enough good things about how literally amazing Harris came in and played.

For many years I (we) marvelled at how teams like the Steelers would have an injury or have a lower draft pick and just plug them in and they would be pretty good and folks were in awe of their drafting.. turns out, if you have a solid, cohesive unit, that is performing at a high level, you can do that.

It was never about the drafting. It was about culture and stability and not always having to find a QB. You can develop players under those circumstances.

LOL - The Rish will be upset with this news as well. KS just doesn't prioritize winning...
Legend
Legend
One area of concern for me... Parkey is becoming a bit shaky. His leg strength seems very suspect on kickoffs and FGs ... but it may be too late in the year to make a change

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
One area of concern for me... Parkey is becoming a bit shaky. His leg strength seems very suspect on kickoffs and FGs ... but it may be too late in the year to make a change

I don't think he is shaky or has a suspect leg.

He bounced a extra point from 48 yards that was fairly high off the cross bar. Looked like it could have been good from over 50 yards. How far out do you expect kickers to make kicks?

As for kick-offs, he can reach the touchback zone, so my thinking is the kicks that reach the 5 yard line are designed to allow a return in the hope we make the play inside the 20 or so.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Which could be the case ... and IMO, we should stop that tactic w/kickoffs. I’m sure the analytics say that most times it’ll be easier to stop them before the 25, but I still get worried with it

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
A
Legend
Legend
A
j/c

I saw a graphic during the game along the lines of "New York, the city that never sleeps." And then they crossed off the 'city that never sleeps" and replaced it with "the city that never scores." I chuckled.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I saw our QB playing like a Pro Bowler hitting the open man rather than looking to any one guy. It was a very nice sight to see.

I saw our defense not able to get off the field, limiting our offense's ability to score more points.

I saw our offense once again go stupid/boring after we had a lead in the 2nd half. We were MURDERING them with the passing game, why start running into a wall of defenders and let them even have a chance to get back in the game?

It's not like the days of old where you could just run 2 minutes off the clock and punt and hope to win, teams can go the whole field and score in <30 seconds now. I'm so sick of it. Our analytics based FO should know better by now.

Thank goodness they have Colt McCoy and not Danny Dimes back there. Although we even made Colt look amazing at times.

I saw Kitchens give us 9 points with boneheaded play calls. Thanks Freddie!

P
Legend
Legend
P
Colt McCoy isn't going the length of the field in 30 seconds.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I saw once again how bad Kitchens is at the helm.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson.
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
One thing I noticed about Harris. On one particular play he pulled and blocked for Hunt running left. I was surprised at how fast he seemed to get to the corner. Not sure if he was faster than say, Teller, but I just noticed that he seemed to be quick for his size.

Legend
Legend
Harris is like a little bulldog. He’s SHORT but feisty and quick. He’s touted as a great ZBS center

L
Legend
Legend
L
I saw Bake throwing it around the ballyard, with confidence and accuracy.
I saw Landry have another good performance - I don’t remember if I saw a Browns pass-catcher drop one.

Noticed that we had two clock-chewing 95 yard TD drives. Have to say I spied Karl Joesph step up big on D.

Saw my Browns - make that OUR Browns - go to 10-4.

When my wife got up this morning, she asked if the Browns won and I said “yeah” like it’s now routine.

And it is becoming that.

I’m very proud of this football team. After many years of mostly darkness, we are seeing light.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
You used a good word lamp: proud. I’m proud of the Browns for their improvement and attitude and demeanor all year. It’s a fun team and one that’s easy to root for

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

Lamar Jackson did it with his weird lame duck lob balls vs this defense, McCoy just a hair high on 2 passes. If Kitchens didn't throw away 9 points for us it would've been much closer.

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Yes the reason I point my finger at Parkay for a big influence in our loss is because he has been reliable up to this point. His leg strength is OK I agree I think the short kicks are by design for the most part our Special teams get there quickly and only if there is a strong wind against us of the opponents have a Pro Bowl Returner. But I'm okay with his kickoffs.

I cannot stress enough on how important it is to put out a Healthy Ward out there on defense. All become better - Mitchell and also Johnson takes the Nickle.

Joseph is playing pretty good so we are not missing Ronnie Harrison much. Joseph had a hand in those Goal Line stands.

Time to Diss Kitchens now...lol laugh

True to form there was Kitchens calling a TRICK PLAY with NOTHING TO SET IT UP!!! You got to set those up with previous plays - boom right away, trick play. My wife is like...OHHH I hate those trick plays from last year, good to see them being done by the Giants.

I think the 4th down decisions were the Head Coach's decision not Kitchens but I think once the nod was given, Kitchens made the call and a run right up the middle wasn't too imaginative.

I guy in our past who was good on those calls was Daboll who I think was our best OC until this year.

McCoy is exactly who I thought he was. Not much talent but the right guy to run the O without making any major mistakes. I was more afraid of what he might do to us then what Jones would have. I was happy to see us get the Run D under control as the day wore on.

Finally the announcers (Collinsworth did a good job for a change) recognizing the fact that Garrett has not been himself since the Virus and he was hit hard and made a point to show him gasping for air a couple of times.

What was good to see was late in the game where in the past two games prior he was pretty much spent and done for by the time the 4th quarter rolled around.

This past game Garrett showed some spark in the later part of the 4th quarter which tells me he is near to come back!

Once he comes back and is 100% we will come close to having a Championship Defense well enough to compliment our Offense.
Just hope the Steelers continue their execution or lack of when we face them the last game (hopefully for the Division Championship)

So happy the Jets finally WON this way we will pay more attention to them and don't take them too lightly.

Our run game was not stellar but we had some good run game when we needed it.

If a team will start playing the pass instead of the run we will destroy them running the ball.

Baker is great. and so so happy he is a Brown!

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: myka
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

Lamar Jackson did it with his weird lame duck lob balls vs this defense, McCoy just a hair high on 2 passes. If Kitchens didn't throw away 9 points for us it would've been much closer.

If only Colt McCoy were Lamar Jackson.

rofl

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Maybe someone with kicking experience can enlighten me, but are we sure Parkey's issues aren't place holder issues? I only ask because on some of the replays it looks like The Hammer is setting the ball down at some weird angles. I don't know enough to know if those are the right angles or not.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847
Maybe someone with kicking experience can enlighten me, but are we sure Parkey's issues aren't place holder issues? I only ask because on some of the replays it looks like The Hammer is setting the ball down at some weird angles. I don't know enough to know if those are the right angles or not.

That's entirely possible.
I don't know enough about it to say whether or not this is/was the problem, but it easily could be, I'd imagine.

Granted, they get a ton of reps working on this stuff, but The Hammer is still new-ish to it, right? I mean, he punted during his 4 years at Arkansas-Pine Bluff, but how much work did he really get as the holder in college? This is only his second season, so I'd think holder mistakes are definitely still a strong possibility.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

That's entirely possible.
I don't know enough about it to say whether or not this is/was the problem, but it easily could be, I'd imagine.

Granted, they get a ton of reps working on this stuff, but The Hammer is still new-ish to it, right? I mean, he punted during his 4 years at Arkansas-Pine Bluff, but how much work did he really get as the holder in college? This is only his second season, so I'd think holder mistakes are definitely still a strong possibility.

That is the basis of my thinking.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

Legend
Legend
The bigger question is what's the deal with Hammer's punting issues?

He looks rather pedestrian this season. Every time he has the chance to flip the script on field position it seems to result in a 40 yard, returnable kick.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Yeah, he hasn’t been booming them. I think I’ve read that he’s got a groin or quad issue or something. He’s still adequate, but not excellent

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Don't forget there could be coaching involved too. They may be asking him to punt to certain depths for coverage reasons.

How are we rated on punt coverage I wonder.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: FrankZ
Don't forget there could be coaching involved too. They may be asking him to punt to certain depths for coverage reasons.

I was just about to make this exact point. Although, you'd think with a leg like his you'd have him practice booting them ridiculously high even on a short field so there is no thought of returning it.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Can we all just agree that the Browns should abandon the notion of returning punts? We get more penalties than we get return yards on average it seems. I swear we would be better off if we just said "Don't block anybody, we are either going to fair catch it or let it bounce and we'll take what we can get."

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I was just about to make this exact point. Although, you'd think with a leg like his you'd have him practice booting them ridiculously high even on a short field so there is no thought of returning it.

Booting it really high means the coverage is there and waiting. Getting the coverage there in time may mean the returner thinks they can get a return but gets popped and maybe fumble.

I think Stefnaski and stuff scrutinize the details, I wouldn't be surprised if this is discussed weekly. Team to team plan.

Another though is the more leg he puts into it could be less control on the punt as well, which would be natural I suppose.

Legend
Legend

Booting it really high means the coverage is there and waiting. Getting the coverage there in time may mean the returner thinks they can get a return but gets popped and maybe fumble.

I think Stefnaski and stuff scrutinize the details, I wouldn't be surprised if this is discussed weekly. Team to team plan.

Another though is the more leg he puts into it could be less control on the punt as well, which would be natural I suppose.

All good takes. Hang time is down, "positioning" is a little off. With that said, the past few weeks he's had those opportunities to just boot one (buried in our own territory) and it hasn't happened. There's something going on because he's a different punter this year.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Can we all just agree that the Browns should abandon the notion of returning punts? We get more penalties than we get return yards on average it seems. I swear we would be better off if we just said "Don't block anybody, we are either going to fair catch it or let it bounce and we'll take what we can get."

With (2) 95yrd scoring drives in the same game last week I'd say the analytics favor this approach.

-Jack Burton

B
Legend
Legend
B

I am no expert, but I did kick in HS, so I do have some experience kicking point tries and field goals.

No doubt the hold is important. I saw one of those holds you question. Again, maybe it was camera angle, but it sure looked like the ball was leaning towards the goal posts.

I was a straight on kicker, so no way could I have kicked that. It would have probably bounced in to the back of the snappers butt, making me look like a chump.

A sidewinder at least has a chance with a hold like that, but not a very good chance.

Maybe I saw that hold on the recent Building the Browns...not sure.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
weird angles are usually at the bequest of the kicker. The Hammer is a good athlete and as was mentioned he spends hours upon hours doing a simple task (holding) I don't see that being the problem. But there are sucky kickers all over the NFL even yesterday's games. IN DOME stadiums - I was getting PO'd talking to the wife - THESE guys practice with basically one job to do. HOW do they miss in a dome with no wind? smh Stefanski was POd on Parkay so for him to say it publicly and call out Parkay, I don't think its the holder's fault.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 20 Giants 6 What I saw Giants game

Link Copied to Clipboard