Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
Originally Posted By: The Beast
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
I think that's a rule because of a Raiders- Chargers game back in 1978. Ken Stabler was getting sacked so just before he hit the ground he rolled the ball forward and it went into the end zone where a Raider fell on it and it won the game. They dubbed it the Holy Roller. The Chargers were furious. It led to that rule change IIRC

but, it was backwards, and the ball never touched the ground. that should be a legal lateral like we tried when we lost the game with the last play being a safety

Just because the ball doesn't touch the ground doesn't mean it's not a fumble. In the last two minutes of the half, only the ball carrier who loses possession of the ball can advance it. If the ball is recovered by the offense, the ball is placed at the original spot of the fumble. In this case, the Browns recovered but were short of the line to gain. The officials actually got the call correct (this time).

I don't think under any circumstance that anyone looking at the play could come to the conclusion that Fumblefield was trying to lateral the ball. He simply fumbled. Again. For the THIRD time in the game.

Maybe Stefanski, being the genius that he is, can re-think this type of play call going forward. Sometimes thinking you're the smartest guy in the room is actually counter productive. You know, like today. SMH

what about the hook and ladder?

What about it? The hook and ladder does NOT constitute a fumble occurring. That is, in fact, where a lateral occurs. Or are you thinking something else here?

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Don't want to be to harsh on the team, the truth is that a team will go where the QB will take it, and Baker has one game to prove himself.

2 fumbles on the last 3 mins for a playoff place... its too much, and clearly he makes great WR's look average and average WR's look bad.

By the way regaring the last play... did the ball even touch the ground? And Baker didn't cross the line of scrimmage.. strange.

Does this means that in a hail mary, if a defender tips the ball only the QB can catch it?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
the ball on a lateral can touch the ground and still be moved forward.

baker fumbled it backwards not forward. we should have been allowed to move it forward.

as a bonus, it never touched the ground. similar to a tipped pass. it can still be advanced.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
D
Legend
Legend
D
I get using the QB sneak in that spot because it had worked so well 2 times before, but I do think that when you have a hammer (Nick Chubb) you pound that nail with it. Of course, that's hindsight, but I would have liked to see a quick flip left or right to Chubb or Hunt on 4th and 1, because the middle was so jammed.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
the ball on a lateral can touch the ground and still be moved forward.

baker fumbled it backwards not forward. we should have been allowed to move it forward.

as a bonus, it never touched the ground. similar to a tipped pass. it can still be advanced.

The rule states that a fumble in the last 2 minutes can only be advanced by the player that fumbles that ball. Period.

If Baker would have advanced the ball for a first down, then it would have counted as such. The rule is pretty clear here.

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Dave
I get using the QB sneak in that spot because it had worked so well 2 times before, but I do think that when you have a hammer (Nick Chubb) you pound that nail with it. Of course, that's hindsight, but I would have liked to see a quick flip left or right to Chubb or Hunt on 4th and 1, because the middle was so jammed.

QB sneaks have nearly a 100% success rate. Baker just needed to secure the ball with both hands, fall forward, and drive his feet. Instead he got nervous he wasn't going to make it, turned sideways, lost his balance, took one hand off the ball (I think with the intent to extend it), and got hit in the back dislodging the ball. He completely botched the execution of probably the most successful play in the NFL.

If I were Stefanski I would call the sneak 100 out of 100 times.

LOL - The Rish will be upset with this news as well. KS just doesn't prioritize winning...
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
That 1st down should have been made. Period. That's the difference between a playoff team and one that doesn't make it. It was a true test for us and we failed miserably.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
That 1st down should have been made. Period. That's the difference between a playoff team and one that doesn't make it. It was a true test for us and we failed miserably.

Here here! The Patriots make that play with their eyes closed.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: tastybrownies

Here here! The Patriots make that play with their eyes closed.

Exactly.

LOL - The Rish will be upset with this news as well. KS just doesn't prioritize winning...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Bryant’s been getting on my nerves lately, with his drops and fumbles, the kicker also has been ticking me off.

Bryant is a rookie though, no need to throw him in the trash. He might want to hit the weights in the off-season and add some muscle.

Disappointing that some of our players allowed the COVID thing to seep into our locker room. All of them better look in the flipping mirror.

Agree on the kicker. He is not as steady as before. And Bryant needs to hit the weight room for sure. He is not where he needs to be to play TE in the NFL. Looks like Jane, plays like Jane's grandmother.

This was a true must win game. And we crapped the bed.

Last edited by CapCity Dawg; 12/27/20 09:21 PM. Reason: Can't spell when I am depressed

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
I'm pretty sure its not a 100% success rate, since I saw it fail twice today alone (Mayfield and Goff, I think it was). My point, while acknowledging that it is hindsight, is that I would like the ball in my premier RB's hands on what amounted to the play of the game, because I'm convinced that if we get that 1st down, we end up scoring. Who knows, we might even have made the EP to tie the game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
On top of my complaints, I want to give Sandejo some props. He actually used his arms to tackle today, instead of trying to knock people over with his shoulder. And it worked. I saw a couple of nice open field tackles from #23 today. thumbsup

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: Dave
I'm pretty sure its not a 100% success rate, since I saw it fail twice today alone (Mayfield and Goff, I think it was). My point, while acknowledging that it is hindsight, is that I would like the ball in my premier RB's hands on what amounted to the play of the game, because I'm convinced that if we get that 1st down, we end up scoring. Who knows, we might even have made the EP to tie the game.

My only grip is that if its a QB sneak, and the D knows it, like the Jets did, why not a direct snap to the RB.. Why risk the QB injure on the play.

It was a good call with bad execution, can't blame the playcaller here, IMHO.

Last edited by rastanplan; 12/27/20 09:30 PM.
Legend
Legend
Oh speaking of tackling ... Johnson WHIFFED 2/3 times on big plays ... his tackling has been a liability a few times this year

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
when it's 4th and 1 (or less) it makes sense to QB sneak it, handing the ball off to the Rb 4-5 yards back raises the risk of it not even reaching the line of scrimmage, especially with our putrid blocking today where it seemed as soon as Chubb or Hunt got the ball they had a defensive player draped over them.

I blame 2 things, our turnover prone QB. He turns the ball over way too much for a 1st overall pick IMO. 2nd, I blame the WR group for not being cautious with being around a covid positive player

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: boofers20
when it's 4th and 1 (or less) it makes sense to QB sneak it, handing the ball off to the Rb 4-5 yards back raises the risk of it not even reaching the line of scrimmage, especially with our putrid blocking today where it seemed as soon as Chubb or Hunt got the ball they had a defensive player draped over them.

I blame 2 things, our turnover prone QB. He turns the ball over way too much for a 1st overall pick IMO. 2nd, I blame the WR group for not being cautious with being around a covid positive player

And I blame the Sun, the Moon and the Stars

The Views Expressed By Me Are Not Necessarily The Views That You Will Agree With, I'm In My Own Little World But They Know Me Here.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

So when are they announcing Browns/Steelers flexed to SNF!

Legend
Legend
Rough game... our secondary sucked... defense finally starting playing late int he second half

I hate our kicker...

Mayfield has to hold the ball... how many fumbles on a 4th and short has he had?!?!

Refs screwed us with that incomplete pass call... should have been a fumble and TD... we'd be down by 3... no way we lose with that momentum shift

why the hell did we not rush 40+ times when we have NO WIDE RECEIVERS.... just stupid....

really disappointing day... got one more chance to finish this season off right... BEAT THE STEELERS

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

No SNF game last week of teh season

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: jaybird
j/c...

There is a Sunday night game week 17. Just not a Monday night qame

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Pdawg
j/c...

so do they just not set a SNF game at the beginning of the season?

My apologizes.. I didn't think there was one and then looked at the schedule adn didn't see one scheduled...

<><

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Pdawg
j/c...

Yep.

Legend
Legend
I was disappointed in the game plan a bit. I understand we knew they would stack the box so we came out throwing.. which makes sense, but the TEs were a disappointment.

I think we waited way to long to get to the screen/dump off game to Chubb and Hunt. If you are having trouble getting through the line with the run but the RBs are your best options, screens and dump offs makes perfect sense.

I was disappointed in the defensive effort in the 1st half. Instead of looking like we knew we had to step up, we looked deflated. I think the mental disappointment of losing those players to covid was more impactful than actually missing their talent on the field.. everybody looked down for much of the game.

I'd like to 2nd guess the QB sneak at the end as going to well once too often but it should have worked, it was just poorly executed. Tretter got straight stood up at the LOS and nobody touched the DE who came the 8 feet down the line to pummel a stationary Baker who was lodged against the pile.

In the end, too many mistakes. When you are playing without so many starters, you have minimal margin for error and we made too many mistakes and spotted them too many points.

***I still the play by Darnold was a fumble and should have been a TD.. and given the refs marching orders to let it play out, I was going to be even more pissed if they gave us the ball but not the TD... they didn't blow the whistle until he was on the 3 yard line going into the end zone. There was no reason to blow the play dead.

Just gotta hope we get a bunch of these guys back and go beat the Steelers..

yebat' Putin
M
Legend
Legend
M
so do they just not set a SNF game at the beginning of the season?

Yes. The NFL always leaves week 17 open for the SNF game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have been curious as to why Ski doesn't design more plays with Cubb and Hunt in the BF at the same time .. Also when get a kick out of a Wishbone with Janovich thrown in the mix..

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: drobs
So, genuine question - we win are we in?

Yes, but root for Buffalo, Jacksonville, and Cincy just in case. Texans too if the Titans lose tonight.

Last edited by clwb419; 12/27/20 10:25 PM.
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
The number of miscommunications and blown plays in the secondary today were alarming. We gave up 2/3 of the easiest TDs you’ll ever see

Absolutely inexcusable in Week 16. Someone needs to be held accountable.

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DaveyD
The number of miscommunications and blown plays in the secondary today were alarming. We gave up 2/3 of the easiest TDs you’ll ever see

totally agree... secondary was friggin lost all day

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

totally agree... secondary was friggin lost all day

All day? Darnold completed 50% of his passes for 175 yards.. yea, we got fooled on the WR pass. The sad part was the other two were both on TDs where we let guys run free... But for the most part, their passing game was rather pedestrian.

yebat' Putin
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T

And that person is Joe Woods! Man needs to get out of here!

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
Legend
Legend

Jeff Sherman
@golfodds
NFL - Week 17

Phi -1 vs Wsh
Ind -13.5 vs Jax
GB -4.5 at Chi
NYG Pick vs Dal
Cle -7.5 vs Pit
Ten -7 at Hou
NO -4 at Car
NE -5.5 vs NYJ
Min -6 at Det
TB -4.5 vs Atl
Bal -10 at Cin
Buf -4 vs Mia
LAC -2.5 at KC
Sea -4 vs SF at Ari
Den -1 vs LV
LAR -5 vs Ari

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: redddog
This team is a very soft 10-5. Our losses were from good teams or games where there was pressure. And we ALWAYS blow it.

Covid wasn't the reason we lost - we were playing the worst team in the league. If you can't beat them, you don't belong, period. If Mayfield has 3 different chances to win the game and blows everyone, he doesn't belong, period.

Ben does it. Tom does it. Mahommes does it. Baker does not.

This team is nowhere near as close as they appear. We had an extremely easy schedule. Nothing more.

See you all next year when we assume the the position and humiliate ourselves all over again.

We have a bingo!

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
Legend
Legend
Quote:
If Mayfield has 3 different chances to win the game and blows everyone,

ummm.. what?

yebat' Putin
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
J/C. Didn’t see it posted anywhere, But Who The bleep was Kendal Lamm blocking on the QB sneak? Basham killed him all day and on that play he appears to be blocking a second level LB, when his man makes the play. Janovich and Chubb should be enough to get 3 feet, very poor play call, However Lamm is pure crap

O
All Pro
All Pro
O
Some of you are ridiculous. Waiting for Baker to have a "bad" game (playing with 9th string WRs on a days notice, and a couple 3rd string OL) just so you can spew a bunch of nonsense.

Definitely disappointing to lose a game like that. Just got to hopefully put it all behind us and beat Pittsburgh. I think if you asked everyone here at the beginning of the season if you would take 10 wins and "win and you're in" going into week 17, it would be an emphatic "Yes!"

Trying to be optimistic and looking at the long term, maybe this helps us in the long run. We end up 3rd in our division, which means Pittsburgh and Baltimore will have a slightly tougher schedule next year. The Bengals are blowing their draft position to get an OT.

And we still have a shot to get into the playoffs next week! 1-0

B
Legend
Legend
B
Once you understand they aren't really fans, then it all becomes clear.

Just laugh at them and move on.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

The garbage truck comes on Mondays.

All the bs on this Board at times is over whelming.

Clearly many are clueless.

This is the NFL. Parity is structured into the league. The Jets beat a nine win team last week. Got beat by a last play Hail Mary against the Raiders.

Any given Sunday is a fact.

9th string receivers and 3rd string offensive linemen starting on less than a days notice? Missing the defensive play caller. Missing eight starters. I don't care what team you are. You will struggle.

But here we are at 10-5 and getting called losers.

Mayfield is now again a bad player.

He fumbled. Not good. Did he lose the game? The team lost. The blocking stunk. Couldn't run against a team that was not good against the run.

The team gave up plays on defense that stunk.

The game was lost.

==========================

Over and on to the next game. We win we are in.

That is what matters.

All the crap about who was at fault does not change the outcome.

Play a good game against the Steelers and win and the team finishes the season 11-5. In many years that record wins the division.

We are going into the last game in control of making the playoffs and ending 11-5.

I will take that.

Was that expected to happen before the season began?

I doubt that many of the Board experts believed that.

Because many still believe in curses. And that even though every year the team is different. Because many players come and go. And often coaches come and go.

Somehow we are always tied to past history. Even though every year each team is different.

So for all those who have all the answers and are full of labels. Go ahead ruin your day.

Legend
Legend
We are able to play in, and it is a wider silver lining than yesterday's game deserves. Concentrate on doing fewer things and doing them better. We can't carry the mistakes into this one. Hope we figure out who does what soon. We have a bunch of upside.

Just win, baby.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:

ummm.. what?

spacing is important..lol

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:

ummm.. what?

spacing is important..lol

Its kind of like the comma in the following sentence:

Let's eat, Grandma.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 16 Jets 23 Post game thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard