Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: jaybird
Darnold just doesn't come across as a QB who has the mental capacity to operate at the NFL level...
Weren't people saying that about Baker heading into this year? Those cries were getting louder in the first part of the season.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
All Pro
All Pro
Is it even possible to designate a trade as a post-June 1st trade?

I know they do it with cuts all the time. Curious.

But yes...more than 2 first round picks.

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
My 2 cents on what happens is that they bow down to Watson and hire the coach he wants (rumor is Bieniemy) to keep him. For Watson's sake, I hope the new GM and coach gel, otherwise it'll continue to be a mess there. This being said, they need to shed salary a bit, so they'll take a step back before they can take a step forward.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I haven't kept up on this... are they close to landing someone, or are they still basically starting out the search? The dumpster fire situation will probably scare off many coaching candidates. Would you take a job where you know the most important guy in the building doesn't want you there?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Only the haters.

Big difference, IMO, between Darnold and Mayfield from a mental capacity.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Possibly, but we just weren't seeing it before Stefanski and co could get to work on mayfield. If this browns season proven anything, it's that coaching matters.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

It's a wonderful feeling looking at a dumpster fire and knowing it's somebody else's problem now.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Originally Posted By: jaybird
Darnold just doesn't come across as a QB who has the mental capacity to operate at the NFL level...
Weren't people saying that about Baker heading into this year? Those cries were getting louder in the first part of the season.

Baker consistently flashed, even in 2019.

He makes throws maybe only 10 other guys in the league make. He's done that since a rookie. Go back and watch the first TD pass against Buffalo last year.

The Jets have failed Darnold in the worst possible way. They gave him no chance. But he's not in the same stratosphere as Baker. He wasn't in college. He isn't now. He's never flashed in the pros. His entire career has been based on hopeful projection. Never seen anything like it. He literally did next to nothing in college. It was all about what he could become. And I've never seen anything like the benefit of the doubt he gets. Because he's a nice kid.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Yes, there were a lot of people who didn't know what there were looking when it came to Baker Mayfield. There were people insisting he was a bad kid, Johnny Manziel 2.0 even. Baker Mayfield couldn't read a defense pre/post snap was a myth.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I haven't kept up on this... are they close to landing someone, or are they still basically starting out the search? The dumpster fire situation will probably scare off many coaching candidates. Would you take a job where you know the most important guy in the building doesn't want you there?

They've asked Bieniemy to interview, but he cannot until the Chiefs are done. Leslie Frazier is supposedly a candidate as well.

This was why I made my comment - I think they'll hire the guy Watson wants.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: clwb419

They've asked Bieniemy to interview, but he cannot until the Chiefs are done. Leslie Frazier is supposedly a candidate as well.

I may be wrong, I read something at lunch that says Bieniemy has already interviewed with the Texans.

2nd String
2nd String
My son was a season ticket holder for the Texsan's until he got transferred to Louisville. He will now know the pain I have had for a long time. Not something I would wish for anyone.

The Constitution shall never be construe to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. – Samuel Adams
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T

I may be wrong, I read something at lunch that says Bieniemy has already interviewed with the Texans.

Just a Zoom meeting. Texans missed their opportunity for an in-person meeting, and now have to wait until KC's season is over.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
thanks Trooper

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Sometimes days are painful.

I fail to see how trading Baker and a couple 1st round picks improves this football team. How is this even a thing?

I know I'm in the vast majority here, but I don't even think Baker is that far behind Watson if at all.

If I'm the Browns I'd take the call but the second they say Baker and picks I'm out, hanging up the phone, laughing my ass off. For it to even be a consideration I would actually NEED picks plus Watson for Baker. And even then I'm hanging up the phone laughing.

C
Legend
Legend
C

M
Legend
Legend
M

Legend
Legend
You could do worse than Josh. Gods know we have. naughtydevil

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I've said it was a mistake to let Josh go. We should have kept him in the family, transitioned him from player to coach and let him come up through the ranks here. But I get that doesn't really happen any more. That's the sort of story from a bygone age.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
E
Legend
Legend
E
How is Josh qualified for HC?

No Craps Given
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
No way I even think about trading Baker. I know it's only conversation but you can't upset the chemistry we finally have here now. We can upset the D. That needs to be upset and put back together. naughtydevil

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: EveDawg

How is he less qualified than 75% of our previous HC?

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: EveDawg

He’s not.

Legend
Legend
well, that escalated quickly.

Josh has been around long enough and seen enough different ways of doing things, that he probably has a pretty good sense of what he'd want to build... but, that's still a pretty big jump!

I hope he gets it and it works well for him, except when he plays the Browns.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

O
Legend
Legend
O
He's a shoe-in for QB coach, and a reach for OC... but HC!?

-PrplPplEater
jaybird Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
He's a shoe-in for QB coach, and a reach for OC... but HC!?

That's what I was thinking... I could see him being a QB coach easily and maybe OC... but HC?!? that'd be surprising...

I'm praying the texans are letting Watson sit in on interviews...

<><

#gmstrong
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
It would take an awful lot for me to trade Deshaun Watson, but that’s just me

They are not trading him - that'd result in 67m in dead cap. NO way do the Texans do that (with the cap expected to be about 175-180m, they'd have 38% wrapped up in their QB).

As well, they're already expected to start the season over the cap by about $21m. This would put them about 73m over the cap (he was expected to be 15m against the cap).

Even cutting\trading JJ Watt and Brandin Cooks they'd still be 44m over the cap. They'd essentially have to cut\trade half their team to make it work - as most players have a significant percentage of dead cap.

They're screwed financially for 2021 and now they have a disgruntled QB. No clue what coach would want to join that situation.

The site I used (a reputable one) had incorrect data. The contract he signed would result in 21.6M in dead cap space according to ESPN, based on the way it is written. This make it significantly more manageable for Houston, but still...with existing cap issues, 21m more makes it hard for them.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
So since the Jets hired Salah... that is 1 team on the high board for Watson.

That'll get Houston Justin Fields and whoever. Jets can't give away the farm though because theyll have to surround watson around.. somebody. But then again they also have some of the most cap space so they'll be able to bring n some people.

As for Darnold, The Jets stink, they had no help from the coaching staff. They had a coaching staff that quit on their players. IF Im NEw england or like the Broncos, I'd take a flyer on him. Depending on where Stafford lands.

Thinking about if the texans blow it all up... We should do what we can to try and land Watt.. either that or their Safety....

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Easterby is the problem in Houston. They need to let him go.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist
exactly

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Legend
Legend
C

There are reports that say that the owner is a bigger problem than Easterby.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

I'm not in the business of comparing people to cartoons, but if someone can put up Easterby and Gazoo from the Flintstones I think you'll see they're the same.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: devicedawg

I'm not in the business of comparing people to cartoons, but if someone can put up Easterby and Gazoo from the Flintstones I think you'll see they're the same.

Have they ever been seen in the same room at the same time?

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Crazy thought...

If I'm the Ravens I call Houston and see about swapping Lamar for Watson.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
If I am Houston, I hang up the phone.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Lamar is too valuable to that team right now.. they basically run the offense around him. And are shaping their offense so Lamar can do what he does well.

It doesn't make sense to change direction... even if Deshaun is the better QB..

The ravens would have to give up the farm. And they don't have the WR talent that Deshaun wants around himm.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I legitimately have never heard of the person the Texans hired as their head coach. David Culley?

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Crazy thought...

If I'm the Ravens I call Houston and see about swapping Lamar for Watson.

The Ravens would not part with Lamar, (barring injury), No Way, No How.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
jaybird Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I legitimately have never heard of the person the Texans hired as their head coach. David Culley?

un freaking believable... i didn't think they could get worse... this is the dumbest friggin decision...

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Never heard of him? He was the WR coach the year the Chiefs had ZERO touchdown passes to WRs. He has to be somewhat famous for that...

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Texans are a cluster...

Link Copied to Clipboard