Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: jaybird
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
I legitimately have never heard of the person the Texans hired as their head coach. David Culley?

un freaking believable... i didn't think they could get worse... this is the dumbest friggin decision...

I have no clue if he is a good coach or not. Many thought Kevin Stefanski was a horrible hire. I just have never heard him.

jaybird Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
he's 65... been in the league I think 27 years... never been a coordinator and was on NO ONE's radar for head coach... in walks Jack Easterby...

Maybe it will work out but I'm not optimistic...

<><

#gmstrong
jaybird Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Damn it... just got asked if I can help with his intro on Friday... not sure i want to be part of that...

<><

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
interesting that they hired him. I wonder what they saw in him.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: jaybird
Damn it... just got asked if I can help with his intro on Friday... not sure i want to be part of that...

You are on, front and center my man. Like it or not, you are a part of the sell. Kill 'em.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Very “out of left field” hire .... Texans are a strange organization

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
O
All Pro
All Pro
O
Sorry, but this hiring makes absolutely no sense...you hire the oldest 1st-time head coach in NFL history for a team that is going to have to go through a major rebuild? And you hire a guy that has been over some historically bad units?

They would have been better off hiring Stump Mitchell.

Something fishy is going on; of course, the Ravens benefit from this. The league shows so much favoritism to them.

O
Legend
Legend
O
They plan to follow the fail until your built model the browns have established.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
They plan to follow the fail until your built model the browns have established.
I was thinking along these lines. They hired a guy who will end up with the blame as they tank their way into great draft picks for the next year or so.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
O
Legend
Legend
O
Came here to drop a link (that you all probably have seen already, oh well).

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/3079...ach-sources-say

Ravens receive 2 3rd rounders... ugh. Watch them use those as ammo for trade-ups to acquire blue-chip talent.

If you look hard enough, I think some reasons for the hire begin to take shape. He was the passing game coordinator for the Ravens, along with assistant HC for a team that many consider to have a very good culture. Seems to me they were looking for a guy that (first) could get the locker room back in sync and then (second) can help get the offense rolling again.

So long as they don't lose Watson, I don't think they need to worry about kicking off a rebuild. They have a franchise QB (and he's young), they can restock on the fly with some savvy moves (and to this end, they've already done the most important move which was to get BOB away from making personnel moves).

TLDR... worse hires have been made. For me, I'll always cheer for new guys getting their shot. Re-hiring the same ol' names gets old.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
O
All Pro
All Pro
O
They went 4-12 last year, they are way over the cap for next year, and they have no 1st or 2nd round draft picks this year...that is a rebuild.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I thought they had the worst passing attack in the NFL?

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
NFL loves 'em some Ratburdz (again). Mighty fine draft fodder for them. *smh*

I just hate to see anything favorable fall their way.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
I thought they had the worst passing attack in the NFL?

Dang, I didn't realize that....

I dunno, man... I'm just trying to figure it out based on the little we/I know.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: OrangeCrush
They went 4-12 last year, they are way over the cap for next year, and they have no 1st or 2nd round draft picks this year...that is a rebuild.

No cap and no draft picks after pushing a good amount of your talent out the door is soooooo much worse than a rebuild. Like I said, they got rid of BOB.... if they could undo the damage he did, I'm sure they would.

-PrplPplEater
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

So...the Texans' reward for being a trainwreck includes penalizing the rest of the league - AFC North teams in particular - by creating TWO 3rd Rd compensatory picks out of thin air!!!???!!!

How is that a thing?

O
All Pro
All Pro
O
I'm just wondering how long it takes before we learn someone from the NFL office "recommended" Culley to the Texans.

First, the Ravens don't get penalized for their covid outbreak, and now this...smh

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
j/c

So...the Texans' reward for being a trainwreck includes penalizing the rest of the league - AFC North teams in particular - by creating TWO 3rd Rd compensatory picks out of thin air!!!???!!!

How is that a thing?

Right?!

Is there any historical example of this? I've never seen it.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: FATE
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
j/c

How is that a thing?

Right?!

Is there any historical example of this? I've never seen it.

No because this is the first year this new rule is in effect.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Compensatory picks are reducing the value of 4th-7th round picks, and turning later round picks into UDFA. Awarding two 3rd rounders is too much for an assistant coach.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Dave
Compensatory picks are reducing the value of 4th-7th round picks, and turning later round picks into UDFA. Awarding two 3rd rounders is too much for an assistant coach.

It only happens if a minority coach or front office person has been with a team for two years. Compensatory picks have always been a thing, the compensation tied to the hiring of coaches and front office people is to encourage the development of minorities.

Legend
Legend
Lol and now Watson formally requests a trade

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

lol

Ok ok, I was wrong... it's a rebuild.

-PrplPplEater
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Hammer
If I am Houston, I hang up the phone.

Good thing they're still on hold.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C

apparently he made the request a few weeks ago, but it is just coming to light now. this'll be interesting.

question is where he ends up...

if you're Jacksonville, do you trade #1, #25 and a future 2nd rounder (for example) for a known quantity in Watson, or keep the picks and go with Lawrence (expected to be successful, but there have been many QB busts)

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Lawrence all day long.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: clwb419

apparently he made the request a few weeks ago, but it is just coming to light now. this'll be interesting.

if you're Jacksonville, do you trade #1, #25 and a future 2nd rounder (for example) for a known quantity in Watson, or keep the picks and go with Lawrence (expected to be successful, but there have been many QB busts)

I say we contact the Texans and offer to take Watson and his contract in exchange for them giving us a 2nd round pick. We'll even swap our 3rd to them.

Then, we turn around and trade Watson to someone else after June 1st for a 1st next year laugh

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend

off the top of my head ... NE, SF, MIA, DEN and NYJ are the teams that come to mind

T
Legend
Legend
T
I wouldn't try and get Watson, at this point,
but I wouldn't be adverse to getting T.J. Watt off of their hands to back up Myles, because Clayborne is 32, and Vernon is on Rehab.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
P
Legend
Legend
P
T.J. Watt plays for the Steelers.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I think you missed the part where I suggested we get him in an Osweiller-trade. wink

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C

off the top of my head ... NE, SF, MIA, DEN and NYJ are the teams that come to mind

Pretty much nailed it - maybe add Chicago and Washington to the list.

ESPN has an article with a whole bunch of craziness if you are bored - if I recall there's one with a 4 team trade as if this were the NBA

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Texans are now The Old Browns.

Legend
Legend
Do you believe in magic? Goodell lives in NFL Bizarro World. Seems like a generous giveaway to me, and like I said earlier, they make great draft fodder. Trading on up! Pretty substantial comps IMO. *smh again* ooo

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
T.J. Watt plays for the Steelers.

I knew I was going to remember the wrong name, so I almost only put Watt, but thought that was tacky, either way people know who I mean.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

Let me see if I have this straight...DW signed a 4 year, 156,000,000 contract in September...of 2020...approx 5 months ago and when COVID was thought as possibly canceling the season. At the time of that signing, BOB was STILL the HC (and might have still been the GM). The owner of the Texans and all the idiocy surrounding that franchise were the same last September as they are now - with the exception of being much better after BOB being fired for being about as incompetent as a person can be at their "job".

But now...DW wants out. WTH. Yes I know...the Texans are a trainwreck. But they were a trainwreck when he signed that big deal just 5 months ago. They were arguably a bigger trainwreck then...than they are today - see BOB reference.

The reporting on this issue has completely left out the facts/context noted above. Imagine if Baker made such demands 5 months after signing such a lucrative contract (extension). Then the tweet after a new HC was hired...having not yet met with said new HC. The talking heads would be exploding over his (BM) own hypocrisy coupled with the big-deal signing.

Given the above, I don't understand the "Why now?" of DW's stance here.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown

Texans are reaching a whole new level.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
He's a pricey paperweight if he doesn't play, but I don't think I'd trade him.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown

Texans are reaching a whole new level.

How quickly we forget....
Texans so far wouldn't even register on the Browns ineptness scale.

We tried to trade I-don't-even-remember-how-many picks for AJ McCarron, but didn't when we couldn't properly operate a fax machine.

We followed up a 1-win season with a 0-win season.

We had an OC campaign to be let go.

We had a GM get busted/punished for texting down to coaches on the field on gameday.

Same GM dropped a top-10 selection on a guy he never talked to in-person.

That's just off the top of my head (and I'm currently operating on like 2 hours of sleep).

-PrplPplEater
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Texans are a cluster...

Link Copied to Clipboard