Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
T
Legend
Legend
T
Some people never seem to see. Because Mitchell is a star for the Browns, one of the most important players to bring back, and if he played in 100 games and the team had a winning record there'd still be blind folks who'd think, ehh, got to get someone in there with some hype.

I still say, the Future of Defense in the NFL is more safeties on the field, more rotation at safety, I'd not be adverse to a 6 man Safety rotation on the active roster, imo.

And the future is Now, I think.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
What I find most confusing is how some fans try and lump Covid into missing games due to injury. Covid is a virus and has been circulating within the team. That's not something a player can prevent. It has now even hit Stefanski and I'm not going to blame him for it either.

In Ward's presser, some idiotic reporter named Jeff asked him if he felt like he let the team down for catching COVID. I'm not kidding and that's why I hate the media. It's at about 4:10 on this clip.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
It's our new society. Shaming is becoming more popular than disco in the 70's. With Covid, it's growing to a whole new level.

On a somewhat related note, thought it was interesting that the Nets comments on Kyrie's return included a protocol that included coming back and explaining his mistake to his teammates and the media. He was taped at a birthday party without a mask on.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
O
Legend
Legend
O
Wonder if they asked the same thing to Stefanski (who by all accounts has been completely on it regarding preventive measures).

The virus is going to act like a virus. What is 'fair' doesn't matter. I have a cousin that went full-on shut-in (hyperbole) due to the virus and she got it.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: jfanent
[quote=PitDAWG]I'm not kidding and that's why I hate the media. It's at about 4:10 on this clip.

Agreed. 100%

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I'm usually never one to shy away from slamming Cleveland's sport reporters (or any for that matter), but there allegedly were rumblings and grumblings about Browns players becoming lax regarding COVID protocol in the week(s) leading up to the outbreak. Maybe this is more of a case of the phrasing of the question vs the question itself.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Serious question.. what is the drop off from Olivier Vernon to Adrian Clayborn?

Vernon had 9 sacks, Clayborn 3.5
Vernon had 13 TFL, Clayborn had 5
Both forced 1 fumble...

Vernon had 804 snaps, Clayborn had 404..

So, statistically, if you average for the snap count, stats aren't all that different.

**I would love to have both this week because depth is important if you are chasing the Chiefs and Mahomes all over the field.. but do we really lose a tremendous amount with Clayborn instead of Vernon?

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
I think the answer is probably hidden in the things not as easily seen, like run defense, pressure rate, etc...

He was a much heralded signing (that got overshadowed by other moves), so hopefully he lives up to that. We NEED him to.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Vernon was also just coming on recently (right before his injury). Averaging his stats over the course of the season might be shortchanging him somewhat if we're looking at what he would've brought to this game.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Oh I agree that Vernon is better.... just opining on HOW MUCH better.....

yebat' Putin
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
That is a terrible question, a terrible question, I hate that question.

**I would love to have both .. but
There is no But!
You have to have both? then you have to have both! I don't even like tolerating "thinking" that self cripples your own team.

It's about the same kind of thinking, I'd think, as if someone wants to ask,
ehh
what's the drop off from, Hunt to Chubb,

Insuiating- we don't need both, ?

(Thinking that it's OK! to get rid of, or self denounce your own team by getting rid of a good player, with opening the line of thinking that
ehh, there is another good player, why need 2?

NO! I reject that line of thinking, You do need 2.
In fact you need to find 3
and then find a 4th
and keep your eyes open for a 5th!

Otherwise one might as well just root for some other team, this is the NFL
this is about having the best
THE BEST!
team in the whole wide world,

not the, uhh, we just need enough to field a team.

So what, if Joe Ivey comes off the practice squad and plays like a hof'er, they should cut Sheldon Richardson?
or--
If Joe Ivey comes off the practice squad, to keep Sheldon Richardson, one should hope Joe Ivey doesn't play that well??
(Ivey is no longer on the practice squad I think),

But what kind of thinking is that, self defeating, and I don't like it.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

Vernon had 9 sacks, Clayborn 3.5
Vernon had 13 TFL, Clayborn had 5
Both forced 1 fumble...

Vernon had 804 snaps, Clayborn had 404..

So, statistically, if you average for the snap count, stats aren't all that different.

**I would love to have both this week because depth is important if you are chasing the Chiefs and Mahomes all over the field.. but do we really lose a tremendous amount with Clayborn instead of Vernon?

I see your point and that makes sense to question. I suppose the biggest difference is as you go down the roster depth you end up needing more from the non-1st/2nd stringers...but we've weather-ed that well all year. fingerscrossed :shrug:

All Pro
All Pro
Ahh the ol' stat sheet comparison.

Well, Vernon was 22.6% more effective at getting sacks
23.5% more effective at getting a tackle for loss

Look everyone, fun with numbers. smile

Vernon is better than Clayborn by a fair margin. I like Clayborn, but Vernon is/was a starting caliber end. Clayborn is situational.

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
Legend
Legend
Jc

I was gonna go off in the post game about Woods but overall this belongs here.

First off, I tried to give Woods the benefit of the doubt because we actually aren’t talent on the defensive side of the ball, but my patience went out the window the moment chad freaking Henne won the game for the chiefs.

He needs to go. The game plan was wack all season, and against the chiefs.

The only reasons I can see Stefanski keeping Woods IS the talent aspect.

- Our “star” DEs are literally glass cannons. Never healthy, never on the field at the same time, always getting hurt. It’s either Garett or Vernon or both. I was against trading for Vernon and I’m simply sick of him always being injured. I have obviously way more patience with Garrett cause he atleast guts it out but damn man....

- our LBs gotta be the worst in the league. Sorry but Mack Wilson is garbage. Takitaki is garbage. I’m torn on BJ Goodson but we can most upgrade. Mack was suppose to be a great coverage LB. yea....no.

- our secondary is also hot garbage. Ward is another guy who is good only when available, and that doesn’t seem to be often. We literally had backups to the backups starting games cause we can’t stay healthy anywhere on the back end, and our “starters” as a whole ain’t all that startable to begin with. I don’t wanna hear crap about greedy Williams or even delpit for that matter. We have to go into this offseason/draft addressing both positions because we have a lack of talent AND health problem.

Our only quality unit is the interior defensive line. I actually don’t have anything bad to say about them. I love Larry and Sheldon, and our rotational DEs are fine.

But even after all that, woods completely ticked me off today. Every single week we looked unprepared and confused as to what to do on defense. It’s like this defense never practiced against players going in motion before.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
We have to start by not letting Henne scramble for 14 yards with the season on the line

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
That final play was definitely a Reid special. Who thought they were actually going to snap it?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
That final play was definitely a Reid special. Who thought they were actually going to snap it?

That chad henne run that led the the Reid special was a Woods gift.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I question whether Garrett and Ward will ever play a full season.

Greedy is another guy. Delpit is a question now with an achilles, some come back, some don't.

We need fast LBs that tackle good. Wilson has dropped big time since his injury. Phillips, IMO, will be a stud in time.

We need to replace all the starters at LB, and bring in another pass rusher or two.

This team fully healthy is going to be good.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

I knew they would snap it when I saw the center tap his right hip.

Einstein could not even fathom the mathematical improbabilities of the Browns woes.
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We definitely need a free safety.
I want another pass rushing De to pair with Garrett. And we need somebody who can recognize that tight ends are allowed to catch the football. Whether that is a linebacker or a strong safety i don't really care. But tight ends kill us.

Add 3 quality players and our D is pretty good. Especially if you remember Billings will be back.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Tavierre is a STs guy, so we can find room on the roster for him. I would hope Karl Joseph being pushed off the roster is a sign that we've done such a monumental upgrade at the position. I didn't think he was as bad as that score would suggest.

I would be really happy if we got a LB/S hybrid that has the physical tools to keep up with Lamar. Give him to the coaches as a project and deploy him at the right times when ready.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

I'm sure most of this has already been said but here is what I would like to see:

1. A complete overhaul of the starting linebackers. Some are young like Takitaki and Mack Wilson and just aren't starters, the others are aging vets whose time is coming to an end. I do like Phillips but he is more of an unknown at this point. He does have speed that I think the other linebackers lack greatly.

2. We need another edge rusher. I don't envision Vernon coming back and Gustin is nice but think he is more a depth/rotation guy.

3. I'd like to see the Browns stick with Harrison at SS and hopefully Delpit can come back healthy as FS.

4. Extend Denzel Ward. Not sure if they will do it this offseason or sometime before the end of next, but he is a staple and needs to remain, obviously.

5. Make a decision on Greedy Williams. If the team thinks he will never be the same, just move on.

6. I'd resign Ogunjobi too, but at the right price. I like his interior pass rush ability but he's not the best at containing the run, IMO. This line needs a deep rotation and think Ogunjobi can still be a starter for us.

The defense should be a clear focus of the front office this offseason whether in FA or the draft.

Tackles are tackles.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Maybe I should know this, but I don't: do teams employ a scout to scout themselves? I know they have scouting staff for college players and other staff for advance scouting of teams on their schedule and throughout the NFL. But is there someone who scouts us and reports back to the HC, OC, DC, and STC? Or is that a function of the coaching staff when reviewing game film?

C
Rookie
Rookie
C
''We need fast LBs that tackle good.''

Couldn't agree more. We are slow sealing the edge.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
We are not that far from being a championship team. Berry and Stefanski have to think DEFENSE, DEFENSE, DENFENSE, in the 2021 draft.

Our secondary and LBs need improvement. The DBs give the receivers way too much cushion. I don't know if Woods wants his DBs to try and keep everything in front of them because he thinks they are too slow and receivers would run right past them or what? Getting Greedy Williams back and a healthy Ward will help.

Our LBs are too slow to cover RBs and TEs. We could also use another speed edge rusher on the other side to complement Garrett.

The Browns are not that far away. Improve the defense and they will be a strong SB contender next season.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted By: Dave
Maybe I should know this, but I don't: do teams employ a scout to scout themselves? I know they have scouting staff for college players and other staff for advance scouting of teams on their schedule and throughout the NFL. But is there someone who scouts us and reports back to the HC, OC, DC, and STC? Or is that a function of the coaching staff when reviewing game film?

No, I've never heard of a team scouting themselves. The coaches look at game film to see what went right and what went wrong and make necessary adjustments for the next game.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Cleats
''We need fast LBs that tackle good.''

Couldn't agree more. We are slow sealing the edge.

We will be drafting where, 25 or 26 I guess?

Just a reminder that Ray Lewis was the #26 pick in the draft. That's all I want.

yebat' Putin
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Dawg Citizen
Originally Posted By: Dave

No, I've never heard of a team scouting themselves. The coaches look at game film to see what went right and what went wrong and make necessary adjustments for the next game.

I think an independent point of view from someone not emotionally invested in a given unit or player might be useful. I'd like to hire away someone from Pittsburgh's or Baltimore's Pro Personnel Dept and tell him "Scout our games and give us a report every Monday.".

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Step one should is Bring Woods back ; yes or no ..

Is Berry satisfied with his talent evaluation on Defensive plays in last years draft . How did he do in the FA department .

Legend
Legend
Teams certainly self scout ... thats all we did over the bye (and look how much we improved after)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Woods is not going anywhere nor should he. Stefanski is not a knee jerk reaction type of guy. Give Woods some talent and time to build the defense with guys in the same scheme. His defense forced a lot of turnovers with the limited talent available.

Not changing coaches, QB or GM in the offseason is a breath of fresh air. Has this ever even happened since 1999?

The offseason and bulk of the draft will focus on the defense.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

Woods is not going anywhere nor should he. Stefanski is not a knee jerk reaction type of guy. Give Woods some talent and time to build the defense with guys in the same scheme. His defense forced a lot of turnovers with the limited talent available.

Not changing coaches, QB or GM in the offseason is a breath of fresh air. Has this ever even happened since 1999?

The offseason and bulk of the draft will focus on the defense.

I agree...People tend to forget if we keep firing coordinators after one year, who the hell really wants to come here to coach under those circumstances.

Woods def. needs to improve, I think adding talent and depth will most def. help by logic alone. I think we finished 23rd in overall defense, I see no reason why we aren't in the top 15 or better next year...Most of our players should improve as well, as having one full year in a system is encouraging...versus where starting all over isn't too smart for a team having their first taste of success in a longgggg time.

I mean Woods started the year with the worst LB core in the league, without his starting CB and FS the entire year, Covid- which effected this team in vast ways, and the normal weekly NFL injuries that every team occurs.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
We need defensive upgrades for sure but I hope we stick to a BPA strategy come draft. The tough part is - what if that was a QB or HB? I guess youd have a market for trade then.

Its refreshing not having even looked at a draft site yet.

All Pro
All Pro
I guess by position, well, first, the offense is in good shape. I'd like to bring back Higgins as a safety net to OBJ's health, but even if we lose him DPJ has shown really nice development and Hodges beat him out twice earlier this year as the #3 WR.
At O-line we found depth out of nowhere (giving that credit to the coach) smile
Even if we have to cut Hubbard to create more cap flexibility to extend Teller, we have Dunn with Drew Forbes coming back and some guy named Blake who won't even be an exclusive rights free agent until 2022.

So, yeah...defense.

It starts with Free Agency, you have to shore yourself up before the draft.

On the D-Line, if we lose Ogunjobi we go to the draft with Richardson, the rookie Elliott and Billings coming back. On one hand we can go to the draft in decent shape with these three, but Richardson is a Free Agent in 2021 and so is Billings (and we have no idea if Billings will even be any good).
So, I'd start with restructuring and extending Richardson. I know I mentioned this before but it is the smart play with the down cap this year and a likely suppressed free agent market as a result of dead monies next year. Get Sheldon some security and save the front office some money in the long run. Otherwise we are still in the market for a defensive tackle. Not worth creating the need as Richardson is already in house and remains our best Free Agent signing of recent memory (not named Jack Conklin) smile. An early draft option could be Christian Barmore out of Alabama (their DT's are WAY better than the LBers they send to the NFL).

At Linebacker (off-ball), this free agent class consists of Lavonte David. Sort of trading for a good young player we are not going to find a core guy so it is likely we will bring in another 1-2 year vet while we develop our guys. I'm still OK with TakiTaki as the SAM and hoping Phillips develops but I will be disappointed if we don't find a guy by day 2 in the draft. An early draft option could be Owusu-Koramoah.

In the secondary...yikes, there are so many injury concerns it's hard to know where to start. Even if we "expect" Delpit and Greedy to return and play well, man...
OK, we exercise Ward's option (if for no other reason than to give us an extra year to see if he can stay healthy before committing anything long term.
We try like heck to bring back Money Mitch to safeguard the outside depth.
Even still, we need to make sure to address the slot guy in Free Agency (KJ was OK, but he's a Free Agent and we have NO ONE (Tavierre and MJ Stewart were trying to cover it, but...yeah...no). Thankfully this is an amazing slot corner Free Agent period and they should come cheaper than usual. This is a must address before the draft.
With the aforementioned injury concerns, a safety who can cover is also a must address. I don't care if it's a top guy or if we take a swing at the glass house that is Malik Hooker. There is no way to "waste" money here really. Even if Delpit comes back full go, he still played more of a Jamal Adams role in college. Using Him and a true free safety on the back end with Harrison as the big nickle in a 2-LB defense is even better. An early draft target (2nd round) could be Moehrig or Holland as they have the versatility to be the slot/FS hybrid.

Sooo... Free Agent targets for the long term 1 and 2 are Free Safety and slot.

And lastly, at DE/Edge. Ugh. Man, the only way I see us getting an affordable option is via trade for a cap-wrecked team. We can't blow the cap on a DE2. Should be an active trade market though for a lot of these teams looking to recoup "something" for the guys they can't afford. It's possible Rousseau could still be available in the 1st, but he is super raw and has essentially no pass-rush moves. A lot of day 2 guys in the draft but they are mostly 3rd down rotational guys for a year or two.

Sooo...trade target a DE all day. With a LB being another strong possible trade target.

Heck, offer a 4th to the Eagles for Derek Barnett smile They're in cap hell anyway
rofl

Moral of the story. Don't limit it to free agency. Trades should come cheap from some of these teams (when you look at not only how many teams are over the cap, but how many players they actually have signed and WHO those players are, more than half the league is going to struggle with cap issues this off season).

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ok , I'll play .. Love our Coaching staff with the sky as the limit ; Except for Woods. Not much of a stats guy , but you need to use them in making decisions .. We are in the 20's ( team ranking ) on D ; we average giving up 26 avg points at home and 30 away .. Opposing offenses eat up clock keeping our O off the field and wearing down the D unit .. By the fourth their gasping for breath .

Our O had all of three positions in the first half of the Kansa game ..
Players out of position all season long ( you didn't see that on the O )
D lineman in coverage , rushing three , and the list goes on .

I realize the lack of talent EXCUSE has some merit .. Woods must have had input on the FA D players brought in and Drafting D players .

Another post another time on Elliot /Delpit / Philips

C
Legend
Legend
C
I haven’t read the whole thread but I assuming that people want Woods fired.

I will say this, I would like to return a whole coaching staff for once. Also, defenses can improve greatly from year to year based on personnel.

Legend
Legend
j/c

I agree w/those who want to keep Woods. I think we need a full offseason of continuity, especially after this year ... we need to let things grow from here. Acquire some speed/talent, develop the pieces we have.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Defense...Where do we go from here?

Link Copied to Clipboard